Zingarevich

292 posts
ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Zingarevich

by ManchesterRoyals » 26 Mar 2013 11:53

melonhead except im/he's clearly talking about the summer-as indicated by me saying he said it in the run up to january.
:roll:

Thought u said "and in January " :D

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Mar 2013 11:55

Everything they all say points to the same thing brendy, that it was a JOINT decision that the budget was set relatively low and that we stuck with the players we had.

Knowing a bit of the characters involved, and their comments since, I'd suggest that the main driver in that was McDermott who wanted to reward the players who'd served him well with a crack at the Premier League. Zingaravich seems a bit more bullish about the need to bring in new players and less attached to the existing players.

Giving Zingaravich the benefit of the doubt, I think he started the press conference not wanting to talk about McDermott or the mistakes in both transfer windows but was backed into a corner by the questions and so got franker and franker until his very clear statement that he thought we should've been more active and spent the money better in January.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 26 Mar 2013 11:59

Yeah. And he's going thin on top....

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 26 Mar 2013 11:59

Any where i can find the "press conference" cheers

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 26 Mar 2013 12:00

ManchesterRoyals Any where i can find the "press conference" cheers

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118008&start=2580#p3630984

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 26 Mar 2013 12:05

Royal Lady Who scouted Carrico then? :wink:

I think he may have joined in a kick around when they were over in Portugal so we bought him.
It then followed that we bought Akpan after having a kick around v Crawley and the Blackman after a kick around v Sheff.Utd.
So the club spent over £2 miilion after having a few kick arounds.
That may have been the Reading Way but let's hope that Nigel does it the Saints way and buys players that have been fully scouted and perhaps more importantly tries to get somewhere near the quality of young players that Saints have got over the years through the academy.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 26 Mar 2013 12:08

TBM
ManchesterRoyals Any where i can find the "press conference" cheers

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118008&start=2580#p3630984

Thxs

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Mar 2013 12:08

BR2

I think he may have joined in a kick around when they were over in Portugal so we bought him.
It then followed that we bought Akpan after having a kick around v Crawley and the Blackman after a kick around v Sheff.Utd.
That may have been the Reading Way but let's hope that Nigel does it the Saints way and buys players that have been fully scouted and perhaps more importantly tries to get somewhere near the quality of young players that Saints have got over the years through the academy.

I still wonder how much input McD had in these signings you know. Suppose we'll never know!

Adkins is the first manager in a long time not to have had any previous connection with RFC - I wonder if that will make a difference to him demanding money or whatever?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 Mar 2013 12:10

Royal Lady
BR2

I still wonder how much input McD had in these signings you know. Suppose we'll never know!

Adkins is the first manager in a long time not to have had any previous connection with RFC - I wonder if that will make a difference to him demanding money or whatever?

It depends what you are calling a long time - Burns, Coppell, Bullivant, McGhee.......

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 26 Mar 2013 12:28

Who controls transfers at Reading isn't really clear, and is even less clear now.

Is it Hammond? If not, what does he do?

Zingarevich was supposedly negotiating with Spurs for Gylfi - so presumably he takes some responsibility? Didn't he push for the Pog?

Brian always gave the impression that transfers were largely out of his hands, and isn't around to defend himself, so convenient for Zingarevich to blame him.

Smoke and mirrors all round....

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Mar 2013 12:32

in the past the manager wasnt given a set budget, he identified players he wanted, and made a case for buying them- ie we need to cover a position, or he is really very good etc
if the case matched the valuation, hammond swings into action to try and buy the player

now under AZ its not so clear.
its possible now that there is a budget set in each window.
its also possible that the Pog signing was done outside of this system

themadstad

by themadstad » 26 Mar 2013 12:37

Heard a lot about budget but Brian has also said money was there for the right player, I can only assume that Anton wasn't happy he didn't want more.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Mar 2013 12:39

I thought Anton looked quite pissed off at the continued assertion that he didn't back McDermott.

tbf if we were lashing in bids for Sigurdsson then I'm not surprised.

Biggest issue with January was that we didn't buy players who could come in and make a difference to the team this season. I'm not sure Akpan will make it but I think Blackman will be a decent player next season. Carrico might have made the difference but he's a total crock.

Divvy

by Divvy » 26 Mar 2013 12:41

themadstad Heard a lot about budget but Brian has also said money was there for the right player, I can only assume that Anton wasn't happy he didn't want more.

AZ also said BM wasn't active enough, so I take that as he maybe didn't pursue the targets as much as he could have. I'd have thought that falls at Hammond's feet tho...

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 26 Mar 2013 12:48

Maguire I thought Anton looked quite pissed off at the continued assertion that he didn't back McDermott.

tbf if we were lashing in bids for Sigurdsson then I'm not surprised.

Biggest issue with January was that we didn't buy players who could come in and make a difference to the team this season. I'm not sure Akpan will make it but I think Blackman will be a decent player next season. Carrico might have made the difference but he's a total crock.

+1 Totally agree. You could see from that interview AZ was trying to keep his cool at the constant digs that he didn’t back his manager. He said there was a budget and we didn’t do enough so I think we can all draw a line under the theory Brian had no money.

Like I’ve said before, I really do think BM was so grateful to be in the job he thought by trying to be the company man and turning water into wine it gave him more chance of keeping his job. Unfortunately it was his undoing in the end.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Mar 2013 12:53

MmmMonsterMunch +1 Totally agree. You could see from that interview AZ was trying to keep his cool at the constant digs that he didn’t back his manager

Yep I could tell that from listening to Radio Berks, it's even more obvious when you can see the face.

themadstad

by themadstad » 26 Mar 2013 12:53

Divvy
themadstad Heard a lot about budget but Brian has also said money was there for the right player, I can only assume that Anton wasn't happy he didn't want more.

AZ also said BM wasn't active enough, so I take that as he maybe didn't pursue the targets as much as he could have. I'd have thought that falls at Hammond's feet tho...

A comment Brian made before bringing in January transfers was about in the summer him feeling the players he had would be good enough. He talked a lot about that loyalty and to me it says he didn't want to bring too many new faces in replacing players. What he did was add cover more than anything.

Brian talked of his excitement about the potential of the bid (Gylfi) coming off, Brian said he wanted Pog but didn't think we could get, Anton stepped in and we got him.

Nicky said about the support being there but the decision lies with the manager. I think Nicky does the work when manager has said this is who I want.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Mar 2013 12:59

melonhead
winchester_royal He was open about the club's failings re transfers, and the fact that Adkins chose to come here shows AZ not to be the evil tyrant some make him out to be. It's also pretty clear that it was mostly McD's decision not to spend. If this wasn't true we'd have heard about it from Brian by now.

not clear at all.

brian came out on numerous occasions in run up to january and in january at the very least implying the opposite
~'i had a budget, and i spent it all'

Dis'greed, he certainly never said that about January.

I thought Anton made it as clear as possible without being harsh on McD.

Adkins didn't need this job, he'd have had his pick of just about every job in England outside the top 12. He wouldn't have considered taking it unless he thought Anton was the real deal. More convinced than ever that we absolutely have the right owner to take us forward.

He could have avoided the presser today, like so many owners do when they make a potentially unpopular decision, but he fronted up and faced the music.

ANTON IN, ADKINS IN

royalroo

by royalroo » 26 Mar 2013 13:04

I hope he doesn't have his funds in Cyprus

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 26 Mar 2013 13:15

royalroo I hope he doesn't have his funds in Cyprus

This is actually an issue....If Cyprus was being used by many Russians for tax avoidance schemes with the Russian authorities, it is highly likely that Russian Billionaires such as the Zingarevich's are exposed in a significant way to the Cypriot thing.

Oh well, our owner may be 40% cash deposits poorer, my heart doesnt bleed.

292 posts