Zingarevich

292 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Zingarevich

by winchester_royal » 26 Mar 2013 20:03

Royal With Cheese
floyd__streete
genome Anyone else think he didn't particularly come off well there? Seemed stressed, mumbled, a bit exasperated.

Critical of Brian for not spending enough in January, so I assume there was plenty of money available. Hammond also gave the same impression. And no scouting done in the summer, which was a bit confusing. Madejski certainly seemed to deflect questions back to him.

At best, camera shy. At worst, shifty. His comments about January spending - lack thereof - were concerning on just about every level.

Agreed.

He's certainly put his cock on the block now. If Adkins isn't backed he'll look like a right idiot.

ROFL at RL's assertion McGhee had a connection with RFC before he joined as player manager and also Winchesters assertion that Adkins would walk into any managerial position outside the top 12.

Perhaps that was a little over the top...but he'd be top of any Championship shortlist were they to find themselves managerless, as well as a couple of PL's.

And in reply to IDEALol. Scouting networks take time to develop, and given that they were shut down during the last few SJM years there wasn't enough time to build any sort of in-depth knowledge in time for summer. Nobody's fault...just an example of how the club wasn't really set up for the PL.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Mar 2013 20:05

winchester_royal Perhaps that was a little over the top...but he'd be top of any Championship shortlist were they to find themselves managerless, as well as a couple of PL's

Yeah that's fair to be fair

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Mar 2013 20:18

Maguire
SHORT AND CURLY
winchester_royal Adkins didn't need this job, he'd have had his pick of just about every job in England outside the top 12.

What the FK!
"Adkins didn't need this job, he'd have had his pick of just about every job in England outside the top 12."

I think you need your head examined

Well it's been an "exciting" day and all that but this wins my nonsense post of the day award.

The Reading job is a *brilliant* job for Adkins to get. Think about it - no-lose eight game shot at staying in the Premier League. Stay up and you're a hero, go down and it's not your fault.

Then, you're in the Championship with the remnants of a title-winning side and, most importantly, a sack load of cash to spend on players.

I'd take it.

It would only be a brilliant job if Anton wasn't the penniless tyrant than some on here try to imply. That's what I was basically trying to get at (though not particularly well I'd admit). The fact that Adkins did decide to come here is a decent sized tick in the pro-Anton coloumn.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 26 Mar 2013 20:22

Oh I think he'll sanction a fair bit of transfer action in the summer for sure.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Mar 2013 20:28

Ideal 1. If there was no scouting budget, why? Surely this has to be the financial backer's responsibility, he has to provide funds for scouting.
2. If there were no spending, why? Surely it has to be the financial backer's responsibility to provide the funds required to strengthen the team.
3. If points 1 and 2 are deemed the financial backer's responsibility, then why on earth would the financial backer sack the manager and make him the scapegoat?

The proof will be in the pudding this summer. If we again fail to make the right moves in the transfer market then we will know what Zingarevich is made of, and I put it to you that is 100% cowdung, all his promises are bullshit - pure fecal matter through and through! The guy is a bigger windbag than Rodgers could ever dream of being!!

The takeover was completed towards the end of May. How quickly do you think you can rebuild a scouting network?

How do you think the backer can arrange for players to be scouted when they're not playing?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 26 Mar 2013 20:31

Am I then the only one who thought Madejski was being genuine when he said Anton knows more about football than he does? Madejski was, in my opinion, professional and in no way disingenuous when he suggested that Anton had made the decisions and he respects them totally.

Maybe I'm naive ? or maybe too many of you are just looking for bullshit when the bullshit simply doesn't exist...

ZIngarevich provided early funds, bought half the club, will buy the other half, chose to keep SJM on at the club for a good ammount of time, respected the managers wishes for continuity when he wanted to splash the cash a bit more, gave an ultimately failing manager good amounts of time, shown the ability to be decisive but difficult in making a tough sacking decision, shown class by not involving the press and then appoints a good manager in a sensible ammount of time without tapping others up beforehand and yet...

SOME PEOPLE STILL THINK IT'S NOT ENOUGH???

:?:

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 26 Mar 2013 22:02

PistolPete Am I then the only one who thought Madejski was being genuine when he said Anton knows more about football than he does? Madejski was, in my opinion, professional and in no way disingenuous when he suggested that Anton had made the decisions and he respects them totally.

Maybe I'm naive ? or maybe too many of you are just looking for bullshit when the bullshit simply doesn't exist...

ZIngarevich provided early funds, bought half the club, will buy the other half, chose to keep SJM on at the club for a good ammount of time, respected the managers wishes for continuity when he wanted to splash the cash a bit more, gave an ultimately failing manager good amounts of time, shown the ability to be decisive but difficult in making a tough sacking decision, shown class by not involving the press and then appoints a good manager in a sensible ammount of time without tapping others up beforehand and yet...

Good sensible post to be fair!

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 26 Mar 2013 22:07

PistolPete Am I then the only one who thought Madejski was being genuine when he said Anton knows more about football than he does? Madejski was, in my opinion, professional and in no way disingenuous when he suggested that Anton had made the decisions and he respects them totally.

You can't please some people on here. AZ got everything spot on in my book.

And how people forget the countless times that SJM has said he's not a football person... well, now we have someone in charge who knows more (even if this only about the style in which we play)

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 26 Mar 2013 22:24

Thought the journos were very disrespectful to AZ & the club in general.

Would fcuking LOVE it if we did the unthinkable & stayed up.

peeping bernal

by peeping bernal » 26 Mar 2013 22:33

MmmMonsterMunch Thought the journos were very disrespectful to AZ & the club in general.

My thoughts as well over the whole issue. Brian is a good manager who is good and open with the media. Hence since his sacking the media love in. Anton dealt with the hostile press well in an alien situation and a foreign language to him.
What more can you ask for?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 26 Mar 2013 22:46

peeping bernal
MmmMonsterMunch Thought the journos were very disrespectful to AZ & the club in general.

My thoughts as well over the whole issue. Brian is a good manager who is good and open with the media. Hence since his sacking the media love in. Anton dealt with the hostile press well in an alien situation and a foreign language to him.
What more can you ask for?

Good on AZ for sticking up for himself. Hopefully next time he tells them to get fcuked! He has clearly done it for the right reasons but that doesn't fit in with the evil Roman mark 2 story they want to write.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Mar 2013 23:00

royalexile I get the impression he wasn't originally going to be there. A last minute scramble and name card being placed on the table gave me that indication. Swerving the question directed at him to Anton bout 'footballing' matters indicates to me he's not fully in the loop, not happy about decisions made and certainly didn't want to be there.

I read it as he's not fully in the loop, not happy about decisions made and certainly didn't want to not be there while he's still club chairman

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 26 Mar 2013 23:05

Didnt see the press conference but I think we all have to give him some credit for actually getting a decent manager in now. The easy and cheap option for the rest of the season would have been Dolan. And then we'd have been fukked in the summer as it would have been difficult to get someone of that calibre in.

I'm sure he is using this as a business opportunity but I don't think there is any real evidence that he wants to bleed us dry. If there was no scouting done in the summer then that blame has to fall at the feet of McD and the Director of Football. Fukking criminal. McDs inaction in January, aiming too high and failing, was a huge mistake too.

LumpWarden

by LumpWarden » 26 Mar 2013 23:09

just watched the interview and thought the guy asking the questions came across as an antagonistic ringpiece

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Mar 2013 23:12

under the tin
Royalwaster
under the tin It was obviously awkward for him.
The statement that "no scouting was done in the summer" is a tacit admission that the club went into the new season unprepared. That's not an easy thing to do in front of TV cameras.

As has been said elsewhere, the scouting had focussed on players for next season In Championship as that was the expectation last season - you can't scout players in the off-season remember! (watching you tube and playing championship manager don't count)

Didn't seem to stop Adkins last summer when still at Saints, did it?

They were in the top two virtually all season, so would have had a lot more prep time to do it than us as we charged into the top two late.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Mar 2013 23:25

The Goat was fed Who controls transfers at Reading isn't really clear, and is even less clear now.

Is it Hammond? If not, what does he do?

Zingarevich was supposedly negotiating with Spurs for Gylfi - so presumably he takes some responsibility? Didn't he push for the Pog?

Brian always gave the impression that transfers were largely out of his hands, and isn't around to defend himself, so convenient for Zingarevich to blame him.

Smoke and mirrors all round....

Manager, DoF and Owner discuss resources.
Manager tells Chief Scout what he wants, Chief Scout and Scouts scout for it and recommend players to Manager. Manager reviews the information they provide (videos / reports etc), perhaps goes to see the player, discusses who he wants with DoF and how much each player is worth to the club. If deals are likely to be broadly within the financial structure we have, DoF negotiates with the player and his team, with support from the Manager, and Owner if necessary. If player is likely to be outside, or at the edges of our financial structure, DoF, Manager and Owners sit down and talk it over. If Manager and DoF are convincing, extra funds are made available, within reason.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Mar 2013 00:45

LumpWarden just watched the interview and thought the guy asking the questions came across as an antagonistic ringpiece

He's a Journalist, he was just asking the questions that a lot of people with less attachment to the club are asking. If the conference was just local Journos then tough questions that people want to know the answers to wouldn't have been asked because they'd have wanted to protect their relationship with the club.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 27 Mar 2013 02:06

It was our very own Ady Williams asking the majority of the questions about funds and scouting in summer/Jan. Most journos couldn't give a shit and were only interested in digging up dirt on McDermott's and Adkins's sackings.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 27 Mar 2013 06:19

:Applause:

You are certainly not alone Pete (nor do I believe I am naive), I had exactly the same thoughts. There's a whole load of shit on this thread, conspiracy theories galore, guess that's what makes a discussion board though.

Mags makes a great point as well, Adkins really is on to a winner here, he'd need his head read if he hadn't taken the job.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Mar 2013 08:16

winchester_royal
Royal With Cheese
floyd__streete At best, camera shy. At worst, shifty. His comments about January spending - lack thereof - were concerning on just about every level.

Agreed.

He's certainly put his cock on the block now. If Adkins isn't backed he'll look like a right idiot.

ROFL at RL's assertion McGhee had a connection with RFC before he joined as player manager and also Winchesters assertion that Adkins would walk into any managerial position outside the top 12.

Perhaps that was a little over the top...but he'd be top of any Championship shortlist were they to find themselves managerless, as well as a couple of PL's.

And in reply to IDEALol. Scouting networks take time to develop, and given that they were shut down during the last few SJM years there wasn't enough time to build any sort of in-depth knowledge in time for summer. Nobody's fault...just an example of how the club wasn't really set up for the PL.

I would suggest that some (considerable) fault lies with the person who decided to shut down the scouting networks.

On a separate subject, there is nothing wrong at all with Anton's use and understanding of the English language. It is that Scottish git, Fraser (from Sky Sports?) who perhaps needs to brush up on his understanding of the meaning of certain words in the Queen's English, choosing, as he did, to completely misintrepret what Anton was saying about budgets.

292 posts