Nigel Adkins - new manager

211 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Nigel Adkins - new manager

by sandman » 26 Mar 2013 17:12

[quote="Royal91]The only thing that will please Ideal, Sandman and Caskey's Lovechild would be McDermott, Pep or SAF[/quote]

:|

They're against him completely, I'm not, I'm just underwhelmed. Especially given you and others were going on and on about how we were going to the next level and bringing in a top class manager who was going to be soooo much better than Brian. I get the feeling that you just wanted a change for the sake of it and despite the hyperbole about the next level you've actually got a good Championship manager in place of another one.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Mar 2013 18:37

paultheroyal
Royal Lady Have we signed Adkins yet? Was Paultheroyal spot on? :roll:

And it's all gone quiet over there...
And it's all gone quiet
All gone quiet
All gone quiet over there

You just made a lucky guess - you said on March 11 that he was signing within the next 48 hours - and you were wrong. He was second choice, at least, in any case. :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Mar 2013 18:49

sandman [quote="Royal91]The only thing that will please Ideal, Sandman and Caskey's Lovechild would be McDermott, Pep or SAF[/quote]

They're against him completely, I'm not, I'm just underwhelmed. Especially given you and others were going on and on about how we were going to the next level and bringing in a top class manager who was going to be soooo much better than Brian. I get the feeling that you just wanted a change for the sake of it and despite the hyperbole about the next level you've actually got a good Championship manager in place of another one.[/quote]

No one's said that. :|

You'd do a lot better if you didn't constantly read things that weren't there.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Mar 2013 20:49

Royal Lady
paultheroyal
Royal Lady Have we signed Adkins yet? Was Paultheroyal spot on? :roll:

And it's all gone quiet
All gone quiet
All gone quiet over there

You just made a lucky guess - you said on March 11 that he was signing within the next 48 hours - and you were wrong. He was second choice, at least, in any case. :D

Ah, the lucky guess game! Talking crap I am afraid.

Referees do talk you know. Think you will find I said early doors that contract issues were playing a part. Nearly a dead deal but we went back. Fordham would do well to listen to me next time. That's 2 I have got right now in my own cryptic way.

Za Vas

by Za Vas » 26 Mar 2013 22:57

:lol: Adkins was the obvious choice when the news first broke, you nailed your colours to the mast (fair play for that), and it just so happened that a few weeks later Adkins became the manager.

Admittedly rumours of Di Canio may make your guess more credible, but it was at best, an educated guess.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 26 Mar 2013 23:29

paultheroyal on 11 Mar 2013 10:07 Spotted on the M4 services at around 5pm. Waiting for the dust to settle before being announced as new manager in the next 480 hours.

Spot on! Huzzah... :)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Mar 2013 00:17

Ian Royal
sandman [quote="Royal91]The only thing that will please Ideal, Sandman and Caskey's Lovechild would be McDermott, Pep or SAF[/quote]

They're against him completely, I'm not, I'm just underwhelmed. Especially given you and others were going on and on about how we were going to the next level and bringing in a top class manager who was going to be soooo much better than Brian. I get the feeling that you just wanted a change for the sake of it and despite the hyperbole about the next level you've actually got a good Championship manager in place of another one.[/quote][/quote]
No one's said that. :|

You'd do a lot better if you didn't constantly read things that weren't there.[/quote]

And you'd do a lot better if you didn't take things at face value all the time.

It's all there and it's been there for months.You and others have been going on and on and on some more about how Brian was "outdated", how he wasn't "up to this level", how we need to get rid off the "Reading way" to become a "established" Premier League side and how Brian "wasn't the man to do it" we needed a change to get to progress because our football is supposedly decades behind (it's not btw) so we had to play an "expansive passing game".

You wanted change, you wanted a manager who was better than Brian who was in your estimation merely a Championship standard manager. What you've got is a man who was relieved of his duties at his last club because their Chairman didn't see him as a man who was capable in the Premier League and was only Championship standard, sound familiar? This is not the step up that many were saying it was going to be and it is not a step down. We're still likely to play through the wing and I'm sure we'll try to get the ball to the back post to a target man like Adkins has always done.

I understand you're very naïve and I'm sure people take advantage of you in life due to your naivety but don't deny statements that are for all to see. Still fire bad, tree pretty eh?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 27 Mar 2013 10:58

Brian was a good manager, the spirit within the team, the way they were so motivated and performed for him all are proof of that. However his football was turgid. Adkins is also a good manager for the same reasons Brian was. But his football is less turgid, it's no Barcelona no doubt, but it's a step in a better direction. This is why I wanted him from day 1.

Adkins is a manager proven at being able to turn sides that play turgid football into better passing sides. These sorts of projects, unless you have insane amounts of money to spend or are starting at a very low level are just impossible in a single season without full squad over hauls. Poyet or any of the other continental style managers would have been a oxf*rd disaster coming here, Brendan Rodgers all over again. Too much too fast. Adkins will have three years and possible more if he is truly suceeding to improve the football this sides plays, get us into the premier league, when/if he reaches his peak or another club comes in for him then I fully expect another manager to come into take us to the next level. If another level is even possible for a club our size.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 27 Mar 2013 22:10

paultheroyal
Ah, the lucky guess game! Talking crap I am afraid.

Referees do talk you know. Think you will find I said early doors that contract issues were playing a part. Nearly a dead deal but we went back. Fordham would do well to listen to me next time. That's 2 I have got right now in my own cryptic way.

So how did you know Poyet was going to turn it down?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Mar 2013 23:35

I didn't. Adkins was sounded out first.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 28 Mar 2013 06:50

paultheroyal Fordham bless him has had a disaster with this!

And now to the weather with Michael Fish...

211 posts