New captain? McAnuff axed?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New captain? McAnuff axed?

by melonhead » 27 Mar 2013 15:12

P!ssed Off Whether you rate McAnuff as a winger is fairly irrelevant, can someone please explain to me on what basis they believe McAnuff to be an appropriate captain?

in the way he leads by example,works harder than anyone on the pitch,has acres of experience, is incredibly well spoken and media savvy, and has the respect of all the players.......
or was it a rhetorical question?
Last edited by melonhead on 27 Mar 2013 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Mar 2013 15:14

P!ssed Off
Libertine
P!ssed Off Whether you rate McAnuff as a winger is fairly irrelevant, can someone please explain to me on what basis they believe McAnuff to be an appropriate captain?

He captained the team to a promotion to the PL?

Yes there is something in that but I'm thinking more captain attributes than previous success. The fact that he was captain when we were promoted tells us very little imo, it is a correlation rather than causation.

For instance, were we promoted due to him being captain? despite him being captain? or was his captaincy fairly irrelevant?

promoted with him as skipper
relegated with him as skipper

therefore the position of skipper has bugger all influence on those two things in reality

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Mar 2013 15:16

mr_number
melonhead the blind, and the brain dead

Good band name.

i like it!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 27 Mar 2013 16:21

Mid Sussex Royal Carrico :D - was captain of Sporting Lisbon

If we are going to have a new captain, Adders should choose him on what he sees at this club. Just making someone captain because they were captain at their last club is potentially problematic. Sven found that out when he made Matt Mills captain. Personally, I like McAnuff as a captain; but it can make sense for a new manager to pick a new captain, especially if the team is on a losing run.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Mar 2013 16:23

Surely when Adkins gets his list of players, he'll just sort them by Influence, and choose the new captain on that basis?

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 27 Mar 2013 16:30

I think McAnuff has actually done quite well as captain and he has the respect of the rest of the squad which is all that really matters. If Nigel decides he wants someone else to be captain then I have no doubt he'll make the change even this early into his tenure and I'm sure that Jobi would be completely professional and support whoever Nigel chose to be captain.

White Rougier

by White Rougier » 27 Mar 2013 16:46

The armband needs to be taken away from him so he can be judged on his form as a winger, and not just start him because he is captain.

many will agree he has looked like a lost boy most of this season, constantly failing to deliver a decent ball into the box and run down blind alleys and losing position. you can get away with this at championship level but he is nowhere near prem standard.

alot of you seem to he blinded by his work ethic and love him for it, but on technical ability i would say hes our weakest winger.

McCleary/Kebe on the wings for me next season.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 27 Mar 2013 17:10

produces more consistently than any of them, AND works harder than any of them

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 27 Mar 2013 17:12

Pepe the Horseman Surely when Adkins gets his list of players, he'll just sort them by Influence, and choose the new captain on that basis?

:D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Mar 2013 17:37

I'll conceed McAnuff's performances can suffer from the old head down, things aren't going well thing. But he doesn't stop trying and I think he's got one of the higher workrates in the team. And as long as you don't think the only way a captain is allowed to communicate is by screaming his lungs out at his team mates, then if you pay attention you'll he does plenty of communicating with the rest of the team.

He's not had a great season, but he's still been one of our better and more consistent performers.

He's fairly articulate and bright, comes across as having a very level head on his shoulders and represents us well in the media.

Anyone wondering whether he's a good captain should watch the videos from our promotion last season. McAnuff is being interviewed outside the dressing room about the promotion and his first instinct is to grab a passing player and make sure someone's getting in touch with Jem to see how he is, and get him involved. That's top captaincy.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Mar 2013 18:26

I generally would prefer a defender or central midfielder to be captain. However, I have no objection to a popular senior pro being captain.

I think Jobi is a reliable performer and he seems to be well liked. What else could we ask for?

Long term I hope Pearce stays at the club and gets the captaincy, but unfortunately that seems unlikely.

Wipped
Location: If happy ever after did exist, I'd still be holding you like this

by Wipped » 27 Mar 2013 18:32

I doubt there will be much changed before the summer, but I'm fully behind Mariappa taking the captaincy next season. If Pearce was staying then I'd opt for him, but he isn't.

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 28 Mar 2013 01:13

mr_number
melonhead the blind, and the brain dead

Good band name.

Haven't they just been booked for the Olympic Stadium?????

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 28 Mar 2013 01:31

Pepe the Horseman Surely when Adkins gets his list of players, he'll just sort them by Influence, and choose the new captain on that basis?

He may also need to cross reference with teamwork, determination and work rate

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 28 Mar 2013 09:32

What if I told you captains mean absolutely nothing...?

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 28 Mar 2013 09:36

Colin Cheeselog
SPARTA it needs to happen

Why? What do the other players think of him as captain? Surely that's the most important thing.

I have no evidence of what the other players think of him, or how he acts on the training ground, but on the basis that he captained us to the championship title, has been one of our better players this season as the team has pretty much met general expectation, he's very experienced, and as he speaks coherently and sensibly, I think he's a fine chioce of captain.

Absolutely. Some of the crap he's been given this season by the so-called fans is pathetic, been a fine captain for me.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Mar 2013 09:36

RockheadRumple What if I told you captains mean absolutely nothing...?

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 28 Mar 2013 09:51

Absolutely. Some of the crap he's been given this season by the so-called fans is pathetic, been a fine captain for me.[/quote]
I agree. R
Traditionalists would say a center back/ keeper or center mid should be skipper, but it makes no difference.
Regarding Mariappa being vocal;
The entire XI should be vocal, i'm sure if you watch any individual for more than a few seconds you'll notice continuous communication.
I agree that Mariappa is probably player of the season too, a great addition to the squad, let's hope we can keep hold of him for next year.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Mar 2013 10:04

not only is the vocal thing a distraction from the real job of captaincy, if you take your anti jobi glasses off you'll see that he is always, when the balls out, or there is a pause in play, talking to his players and geeing them up.
so not only are the idiots focussing on the wrong stuff, theyre also missing the very thing they are moaning about not happening.
but thats idiots for you

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Mar 2013 16:27

melonhead not only is the vocal thing a distraction from the real job of captaincy, if you take your anti jobi glasses off you'll see that he is always, when the balls out, or there is a pause in play, talking to his players and geeing them up.
so not only are the idiots focussing on the wrong stuff, theyre also missing the very thing they are moaning about not happening.
but thats idiots for you

Absolutely. But you wouldn't expect them to actually drop their prejudices for a second to try and look analytically at the situation would you?