Homophobic Chanting

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Homophobic Chanting

by paultheroyal » 03 Apr 2013 12:28

I would put Reading FC in the "bit of fun category" as the worst i have heard is the "holding hands chant".

Is this over the top? Do you support the findings and remedies?

Link to article. http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10329097.Albion_fans_name_and_shame_homophobic_rivals/?ref=mr

The first recorded incident of the season was on August 14 away to Swindon Town.

A number of homophobic chants were reported with the club later apologising for their fans.

Just four days later at Hull City's KC Stadium, a player was said to have rubbed his hands up and down his backside several times in front of Albion fans.

A Hull FC spokesman described the incident as a “misunderstanding” adding that the player's shorts fell down following a slide tackle and he pulled them up “a little too slowly”.

Among the more serious allegations involve Burnley fans at the September 1 game.

The report states that they used so many derogatory words that BBC Sussex has to run off a microphone and apologise on air several times.

Following the home game against Millwall on December 18 last year, a father and son were targeted outside the Amex with away fans reportedly asking: “do you pass him around?”

BEST AND WORST
There have been reports of homophobic abuse at both the home and away fixtures against the following clubs:

•Bolton Wanderers
•Blackburn Rovers
•Hull City
•Millwall
•Crystal Palace
The following teams have played Albion home and away with no reports of homophobic abuse:

•Cardiff City
•Barnsley
•Ipswich Town
•Derby County

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Homophobic Chanting

by floyd__streete » 03 Apr 2013 13:10

Whingeing Brighton fans? Well I never.

Why don't they just embrace it and act with a bit of self-irony. After all the worst offenders

•Bolton Wanderers
•Blackburn Rovers
•Hull City
•Millwall
•Crystal Palace

are all fans based in quite hideous parts of the country. Whereas Brighton is a gr8 place.

barelylubedcock

by barelylubedcock » 03 Apr 2013 13:11

Following the home game against Millwall on December 18 last year, a father and son were targeted outside the Amex with away fans reportedly asking: “do you pass him around?”

OK, that's delightfully offensive.

Divvy

by Divvy » 03 Apr 2013 13:13

Harmless fun/name calling from the stands 99% of the time. Leave it alone.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 03 Apr 2013 13:52

Does their boyfriend know they've whined?

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 03 Apr 2013 14:25

Does it count as homophobic if you droop one wrist down, and have the other hand on your hip and make an effeminate "whooooooooo!" noise?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Apr 2013 15:05

"we can see you holding hands" :lol:

Anfield Kopite

by Anfield Kopite » 03 Apr 2013 15:24

Anyone moaning about homophobic chanting is acting like a massive gheyer.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 03 Apr 2013 20:16

If I was being generous, I'd say homophobic chanting is tedious, unoriginal and makes the perpetrators look like, er, bell ends.

More seriously, people are still being seriously injured, and even killed, in this country as a result of homophobic attacks. Even if most of the chanting is dull, if unthreatening, it only takes one knucklehead to escalate it.

Why is "a town full of Pakis" unacceptable but "a town full of faggots" OK?

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 03 Apr 2013 20:20

floyd__streete Whingeing Brighton fans? Well I never.

Why don't they just embrace it and act with a bit of self-irony. After all the worst offenders

•Bolton Wanderers
•Blackburn Rovers
•Hull City
•Millwall
•Crystal Palace

are all fans based in quite hideous parts of the country. Whereas Brighton is a gr8 place.

Yeah, why don't we all laugh at the gays together, right?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Apr 2013 21:09

Brighton should embrace the reputation of having a big gay scene. They should have a new rainbow away kit next season and revel in the chants. The only ones I've ever heard are light hearted banter along the same lines as Grimsby smells of fish. I can't help but feel it's the homophobes in Brighton's crowd that don't like it and complain.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 04 Apr 2013 00:47

Too many people being way too precious. So I get called a Pommie Bastard down here. So what? I get great delight in informing my friends and colleagues that the Aussies, in fact are the Poms and not the British.

What is disturbing is that the UK is not a country of tolerance. There are way too many Sun / Daily Mail readers out there who have absolutely no respect for anyone or anything.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 04 Apr 2013 07:20

On a positive note it looks as though the AIDS related chants have gone these days, surely that is progress.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 04 Apr 2013 08:39

Terminal Boardom Too many people being way too precious. So I get called a Pommie Bastard down here. So what? I get great delight in informing my friends and colleagues that the Aussies, in fact are the Poms and not the British.

What is disturbing is that the UK is not a country of tolerance. There are way too many Sun / Daily Mail readers out there who have absolutely no respect for anyone or anything.

Yep banter with Aussies about being a Pom is definitely the same as homophobia.

I agree that this is probably more about Brighton fans being offended by being labelled gay than being particularly offended by any of the chants though.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 04 Apr 2013 09:13

They should respond with agressive heterosexist chanting and songs. Pointed choruses of "You're just a town full of breeders" and making a mock 'grabing breasts' gesture.

Another song could be "Get your dicks out for the lads"

Also whenever the away team gets the ball they could all go "phrrroooooor!"

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 04 Apr 2013 09:38

Ian Royal Brighton should embrace the reputation of having a big gay scene. They should have a new rainbow away kit next season and revel in the chants. The only ones I've ever heard are light hearted banter along the same lines as Grimsby smells of fish. I can't help but feel it's the homophobes in Brighton's crowd that don't like it and complain.

Nail on the head.I wouldnt like being called a poof either.

barelylubedcock

by barelylubedcock » 04 Apr 2013 10:21

Stuka They should respond with agressive heterosexist chanting and songs. Pointed choruses of "You're just a town full of breeders" and making a mock 'grabing breasts' gesture.

Another song could be "Get your dicks out for the lads"

Also whenever the away team gets the ball they could all go "phrrroooooor!"

Self-mocking and self-awareness from football fans?

pffffffft

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 04 Apr 2013 11:48

Ian Royal Brighton should embrace the reputation of having a big gay scene. They should have a new rainbow away kit next season and revel in the chants. The only ones I've ever heard are light hearted banter along the same lines as Grimsby smells of fish. I can't help but feel it's the homophobes in Brighton's crowd that don't like it and complain.

Grimsby does smell of fish. There's no debating it.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 04 Apr 2013 13:16

Whinging bum boys.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 04 Apr 2013 13:33

Jackson Corner Whinging bum boys.

Exactly. Probably not getting enough cock at the moment.