The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

1445 posts
PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

by PistolPete » 19 Jan 2013 22:53

Ideal Two good games so far this season, takes a lot more to become Peter Shilton.

And you've seen all Matt Dukes matches this season have you?

Just man up and admit that he had a mare at the start of the season but has regained his form and is a decent premier league keeper.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 19 Jan 2013 23:02

Feds back with a stonker today ,confidence factor from zero to hero

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 19 Jan 2013 23:10

Ideal He could still cause us to drop 6-10 points before the end of the season, so you might want to backtrack on that standpoint, the guy is a calamity waiting to happen, and I do not feel safe with him in goal.

Answer the question re Duke. Have you seen all his games this season to say that Dukes positioning is superior and is a better keeper all round?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Jan 2013 00:25

Got tbf to Anders here, I doubt Norwegian prisons show many league 2 games. Do do do Adam Federici.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 20 Jan 2013 00:57

Not his biggest fan but he was awesome today

Fair play to him kept Reading in it today

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jan 2013 12:44

More continued good for by Federici this weekend, which is great, and he certainly played his part with some good goalkeeping in that first half.

One thing I'd like to point out though, as an example of where mistakes aren't always punished and don't always cost us, was the save to his left from Cisse's header. IMO his positioning wasn't rigth for that one and it left him in no-mans-land because he came for the cross, wasn't anywhere near it and it meant he had to pull off a very good reaction save to deny a goal.

If he'd not come rushing off his line recklessly that very good reaction save would've been a simple gathering of the ball after a weakish header by Cisse from 15 yards.

Not doubting Federici played well, just highlighting that mistakes happen (for all keepers really) despite the overall performance and result.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Jan 2013 13:00

Hoop Blah More continued good for by Federici this weekend, which is great, and he certainly played his part with some good goalkeeping in that first half.

One thing I'd like to point out though, as an example of where mistakes aren't always punished and don't always cost us, was the save to his left from Cisse's header. IMO his positioning wasn't rigth for that one and it left him in no-mans-land because he came for the cross, wasn't anywhere near it and it meant he had to pull off a very good reaction save to deny a goal.

If he'd not come rushing off his line recklessly that very good reaction save would've been a simple gathering of the ball after a weakish header by Cisse from 15 yards.

Not doubting Federici played well, just highlighting that mistakes happen (for all keepers really) despite the overall performance and result.

With the Cisse thing would it have been such a weak header if Federici had stayed on his goal line rather than coming out and perhaps getting into Cisse's peripheral vision?

We'll never know of course but generally I'm of the opinion that if a good striker has a free header or strike at goal then staying on your line hoping they'll fluff it is less likely to work than coming out (even if you're not sure you're actually going to get there) and hoping it rushes them or puts them off.

I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this as I hear pundits call this a lot where an unmarked attacker has a free header at goal and the keeper comes out and doesn't always get to the ball but the attacker misses. It's put down as a lucky escape and bad keeping when in somes cases its a calculated gamble at doing something positive rather than waiting and hoping for a miss.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jan 2013 13:10

That's certainly a consideration, and one I was going to mention in my post as well but couldn't be bothered (looks like I have to now!).

His presence may have effected Cisse, but, from my view of it he got a good header off even with Federici coming out, which is why it was such a good reaction save once he was there. If he'd have stayed on his line I don't think any header should really have beaten him from that position though. The only way it might've been more dangerous was if he had time to bring it down and then have a clear chance with the ball at his feet.

I don't think that was possible though, and if it was, then Federici would still have had time to come out and close him down (that kind of 1-on-1 being one of Federici's strengths).

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 21 Jan 2013 13:28

David De Gea, Pepe Reina, Victor Valdes all make mistakes which are scrutinised less than Federici! I appreciate that the last two posts were positive though...

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Jan 2013 15:22

Ideal I can't believe you are actually comparing Federici to De Gea and Reina, you must be on drugs.

True, De Gea makes Federici look like Dino Zoff.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 21 Jan 2013 15:28

Ideal I can't believe you are actually comparing Federici to De Gea and Reina, you must be on drugs.

:shock:

Where did I compare Federici to De Gea and Reina? I quite clearly mentioned 3 better keepers to highlight the fact that they are scrutinised far less despite being better.

Anyway, when are you going to answer the question about the amount of times you've watched Bradford's Duke? :lol:
Last edited by PistolPete on 21 Jan 2013 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Jan 2013 16:26

Saturday was Federici's best game for us and, as others have pointed out, the biggest difference was in him knowing when to come off his line rather than having his defense waiting for him to arrive. Without this new found decisiveness the match would surely have been lost by half time.

It's not his fault McCarthy is injured so, as one of his critics, I've made a point of not slagging him off recently but credit where credit is due.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 22 Jan 2013 14:14

Perhaps having a better four in front of him helps in this decision making, a keeper cant save a team on his own..Marcus, never a world beater, but played so secure with the four in front he did not get exposed that often, same with Shaka as well.

Taffster

by Taffster » 02 Feb 2013 20:51

No coincidence for that our Form has Improved dramatically at the same time as Feds as hit form, he is a class keep all be it he makes the odd mistake but with him and Pearce coming back into the team we look so much more secure at the back.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Feb 2013 20:53

Woodcote Royal Saturday was Federici's best game for us and, as others have pointed out, the biggest difference was in him knowing when to come off his line rather than having his defense waiting for him to arrive. Without this new found decisiveness the match would surely have been lost by half time.

It's not his fault McCarthy is injured so, as one of his critics, I've made a point of not slagging him off recently but credit where credit is due.
Hats off to you Sir

Praise the lord

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Apr 2013 16:29

Baffling decision to bring back Federici today when McCarthy was fit.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 Apr 2013 16:53

LoyalRoyalFan Baffling decision to bring back Federici today when McCarthy was fit.

Adkins explained his decision for Feds.......said we needed to counter attack quickly and his distribution is key to that, not that it worked but that was his thinking

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Apr 2013 17:26

Ideal
TBM
LoyalRoyalFan Baffling decision to bring back Federici today when McCarthy was fit.

Adkins explained his decision for Feds.......said we needed to counter attack quickly and his distribution is key to that, not that it worked but that was his thinking

briLOLiant thinking by adkins! mindboggLOLing decision imho.

This.

His distribution was awful as usual.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 06 Apr 2013 17:28

LoyalRoyalFan

His distribution was awful as usual.

This. Does Feds ever throw a ball out instead of kicking it all the time?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Apr 2013 18:08

The only thing that Federici is good at is asking to leave the club.

Stopping the development of a very good young goalkeeper whilst he flaps about and kicks nearly every clearance into Row Z.

1445 posts