The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

1445 posts
Get Carter

Re: The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

by Get Carter » 06 Apr 2013 19:25

We never recovered from Federici's mistakes at the beginning of the season & he is finishing the season
just like he started.
I think Adkins has inherited a poor squad, but you have to build from the back, so hopefully, McCarthy
will be in the next game and stay in.

Divvy

by Divvy » 06 Apr 2013 19:35

Hopefully there will be some interest in Federici this summer and we can get £2-3m for him. Put that into NA's budget and McCarthy comes in. Makes perfect sense in all aspects.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 06 Apr 2013 19:36

It looks like it's Fed's fault we were inept in midfield.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Apr 2013 19:54

Bored of this so much I'm not even going to do a wind up. We have two excellent keepers Feds made a slight mistake today for one of the goals but he's been very good since he got his chance when McCarthy fcked up his shoulder and this thread went very quiet for a while. Now he makes one slight mistake and you lot are all over like a fat bird at a Wedding.

He is first in training and last out according to the people who work with him everyday but let's ignore all that and come up with bare faced lies about his ability as a goalkeeper. Can't we all just be glad Taylor is out of the team?

Oh look my Stalker.
Last edited by sandman on 06 Apr 2013 19:57, edited 1 time in total.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 06 Apr 2013 19:57

sandman
He is first in training and last out according to the people who work with him everyday but let's ignore all that and come up with bare faced lies about his ability as a goalkeeper.

Bare faced lies?

How many points did he cost us at the start of the season? He's been average at best.

Divvy

by Divvy » 06 Apr 2013 20:02

LoyalRoyalFan
sandman
He is first in training and last out according to the people who work with him everyday but let's ignore all that and come up with bare faced lies about his ability as a goalkeeper.

Bare faced lies?

How many points did he cost us at the start of the season? He's been average at best.

I can think of 7 points off the top of my head that he alone cost us. If we could have them back then we're still fighting.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Apr 2013 20:14

How many shots have we faced? You could put Iker Casillas in there and we'd still have lost points and mistakes would be made because our goal has been peppered all season. A lot of Alfie's rescue acts this season would not have been possible if it wasn't for Feds making crucial saves beforehand.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 06 Apr 2013 20:17

McCarthy to be number one next year. If Federici isn't happy then we shake hands and move on.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 06 Apr 2013 20:19

I remember when Feds became our first choice 'keeper he was always praised for his distribution and his famous 'scissor kick'.

Funnily enough within a week our opposition learnt that all they had to do to counter that was instruct a striker to go and close him down.

4 years on people are still spunking themselves over that scissor kick of his

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Apr 2013 20:25

Federici's kicking is excellent. Just look at Boruc for an example of a goalkeeper who can't kick. He was kicking about a quarter of the length of the pitch at times, kicked a few out of touch and rarely got across the half way line. Federici was consistently hitting Le Fondre and HRK, but they were losing the headers. What Federici occasionally struggles with is decision making- the accuracy of his kicks and throws is as good as any goalkeeper, but he isn't as good at choosing who to go to as McCarthy.

Federici is a good goalkeeper. McCarthy might well be better. Don't think there's any sense calling for the head of either.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 06 Apr 2013 20:54

Federici's kicking is excellent, but irrelevant if we're not getting the ball from it. I'd much rather he mixed it up a little and rolled it out a bit more.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Apr 2013 21:24

Watch their first goal through in slow motion, particularly the camera view from behind and you will see it should have been disallowed. Rodriguez only gets near the ball because he jumps forward with both feet off the ground and then stamps down towards Fed's leg with his right foot - he was clearly out of control and should have been booked for the challenge. The f8cking lino on the East Stand side was absolutely useless today and was better placed than the ref to see what happened but did f*ck all. Then when Rodriguez took an eternity to get back after over celebrating the arsehole lino didn't even flag to indicate that he hadn't got back into his own half before we kicked off.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Apr 2013 21:50

sandman Bored of this so much I'm not even going to do a wind up. We have two excellent keepers Feds made a slight mistake today for one of the goals but he's been very good since he got his chance when McCarthy fcked up his shoulder and this thread went very quiet for a while. Now he makes one slight mistake and you lot are all over like a fat bird at a Wedding.

He is first in training and last out according to the people who work with him everyday but let's ignore all that and come up with bare faced lies about his ability as a goalkeeper. Can't we all just be glad Taylor is out of the team?

Oh look my Stalker.

To be honest, it looked like a player who was only just back and it seems to me that playing him when he's had relatively little time training and no practice matches was a mistake. Especially as it seemed to be prompted by his kicks more than anything and I'm not sure trying to rely on Fed's kicking to get good counter's going was a great idea.

I don't think dropping him after one game and trying a third keeper would be a good idea though, so he keeps the shirt for a couple more at least IMO. And as you know, I don't really like him.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

McCarthy or Federici?

by St. Brynjar » 06 Apr 2013 22:02

I'm fine with this being merged with the "Gr8 keeper deb8", or even deleted, but I though a poll to see what people actually think would be an interesting excercise.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: McCarthy or Federici?

by Ian Royal » 06 Apr 2013 22:03

Now or longer term?

If it's right now, Federici, he's got the shirt and it would be very odd to drop him after one game and one half mistake. Longer term McCarthy.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 06 Apr 2013 22:07

Ian Royal Now or longer term?

If it's right now, Federici, he's got the shirt and it would be very odd to drop him after one game and one half mistake. Longer term McCarthy.

Open to interpretation. I was going to word it 'start next season as number one' but I thought that would increase McCarthy bias. I personally made my decision based on who I think is the better 'keeper, regardless of form.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 06 Apr 2013 23:49

McCarthy will start the next game and will probably then play the remaining games this season. Adkins has given Taylor a chance, now Federici, then McCarthy. He probably already knows McCarthy is our best keeper and if he had played McCarthy today he would have had to drop him for Feds then drop Feds for him.

McCarthy > Federici

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Apr 2013 23:59

RoyallyFcuked McCarthy will start the next game and will probably then play the remaining games this season. Adkins has given Taylor a chance, now Federici, then McCarthy. He probably already knows McCarthy is our best keeper and if he had played McCarthy today he would have had to drop him for Feds then drop Feds for him.

McCarthy > Federici

I wish I was as ITK as you.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 07 Apr 2013 00:06

Fairly conclusive so far.

RedRum

by RedRum » 07 Apr 2013 00:11

Think if McCarthy hadn't got injured he would have played every game since.

Really rate him, but in an ironic way if he had carried on his form he would probably have been snapped up in the summer. Hope he doesn't leave Reading for a long long time.

1445 posts