Back from the game - Southampton (H)

224 posts
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Southampton (H)

by Westwood52 » 07 Apr 2013 10:55

About a month ago I thought we had a reasonable chance of staying up-we needed 15 points and had four winnable games; Wigan, Villa, Soton, QPR. What gave me confidence was that at home Fulham, West Ham, Sunderland, Swansea, Norwich , Stoke all looked really poor teams and I felt we were able to live in the Prem-plus we scored goals against the top clubs Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton.So far in the three of those four winnable games now gone, we have been absolute pants.

Yesterday after 20 minutes the players attitude with maybe the odd exception was awful; given who they were playing against. They lacked courage, conviction, were unprofessional and let the fans down badly. They just did not give it a go-when quite frankly they had nothing to lose (as we were already effectively down before the game).

I feel I have wasted the money I spent on two season tickets.

If I am a plastic after having supported the Club for over forty years and six years of season tickets, and if the real fans (about 8000 of them who will take whatever rubbish the Club throws at them) will be pleased to see the back of me and my ilk then so be it.

Yesterdays performance was pathetic.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Apr 2013 11:00

There was quite a funny bit on the commentary yesterday which summed up the game really. Niall Quinn was saying each team's in-form striker would have a big part to play in deciding the result, their in-form striker was Rodriguez with 2 goals in his last 2 games, ours was Le Fondre who hasn't scored since January :|

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 Apr 2013 11:03

Federici: 5 - Bottled the first goal and wasn't commanding enough
Kelly: 5 - Out of position but I suppose Adkins is trying everyone out
Morrison: 5 - Got skinned a few times
Mariappa: 5 - One of this poorer games
Gunter: 6 - Actually one of his best games, which says it all when I'm giving him a 6
McAnuff: 6 - Average
Akpan: 6 - Did alright before he had to come off, certainly better than Karacan and Leigertwood
Karacan: 3 - Worst player on the pitch by a street, gave the ball away consistently under no pressure, ran about like a headless chicken unable to read the game - he's gone miles backwards under McDermott and I hope either Adkins coaches him properly or we get rid of him
Guthrie: 5 - Ineffective
Robson-Kanu: 8 - Our best player by miles before he went off, everything we created went through him
ALF: 6 - Doesn't really work on his own but looked our only player likely to score

Subs:
Leigertwood: 5 - No coincidence the gap between midfield and attacked lengthened when he came on - get rid.
Hunt: 5 - Ineffective
McCleary: 6 - Slightly better than the other two but didn't do masses...should be playing instead of McAnuff.

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 07 Apr 2013 11:34

Things actually started quite brightly, the players seemed very up for it, they hustled Southampton, closed them down at every opportunity, and there were again more positive signs with the more passing style of play the new regime is implementing. Perhpaps if Le Fondre had made the most of his chance things may have panned out differently, but once Reading conceeded yet another poor goal from a defensive point of view, all the positve things seen in that opening period of the game seemed to ebb away; the hustling & closing down began to be replaced by bigger & wider spaces in the midfield for Southampton to pass the ball about as they wished, and by the time the 2nd half was underway the team were playing as if they'd already accepted relegation and were just going through the motions to get their pay cheque at the end of the month. All in all, it leaves you feeling as flat as the team's approach in the 2nd half and just grateful this woeful season hasn't got long to go..... :cry:
At least though the positive signs of the start of a much needed change in playing style are there. It reminds me a little of McGhee's early attempts to implement change in that department, and hopefully given time Adkins can yield the same results in the long term he did (without the defecting to another team part of course!)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Apr 2013 11:42

Franchise FC Im consoling myself with the thought that bringing in NA with 7/8 games to go means he'll hit the summer with a very good idea as to what he needs to fix.
Hopefully, that means he won't need the August/September pre-season to get things going in the right direction.

Indeed. This is our pre-pre-season and hugely valuable it will be to Adkins. I hope he gets the chance to go and see our loanees as they may be more able to adapt to the required changes than some of the established 1st teamers.

chrisb1406

by chrisb1406 » 07 Apr 2013 11:42

Saints fan in peace!
Apologies for invading your message board but after the events of the last few weeks and then again yesterday I felt compelled to post.
Whilst I am a Saints fan through and through, I spent much of childhood in Wokingham with my Grandparents both of whom were Reading fans and as a result when Saints were away we would go to Elm Park and watch the Royals and I particularly enjoyed watching my two personal favourite players; Michael Gilkes and Trevor Senior.
Fast forward to last year and naturally I was disappointed that Saints didn’t win the Championship, albeit I was genuinely delighted that Reading did. I therefore went to yesterday’s game with very mixed feelings as like all Saints fans we love Nigel Adkins and I wanted us to win, but I also want Reading to stay up.
I guess the purpose of my post though is to say that whilst I sadly think Reading will now go down, I and many Saints fans I know will be willing you to do well next season, and now having Nigel Adkins in charge you have no better manager than him to bring you straight back up playing some wonderful football.
All the very best for the rest of this season and let’s hope for a miracle, but if a miracle doesn’t doesnt happen, then I will be cheering you on next season and hoping for a return visit to the Madejski stadium the season after.
As my Grandad always used to say, up the Biscuits!

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Apr 2013 11:57

So thats that then.

Owners, ex-manager and the spendnothing brigade on here proved wrong once and for all as a team that did invest shows a team that didn't how to stay in the Premier League.

Ridiculous starting line-up, though perhaps an indication of how stupid McD was to try and replace/backup old man Harte with another old reject at leftback. Our scouting system this year involved reading cup opposition team sheets and going through McD's old address book and guess what? All our signings have been terrible and yesterday was the biggest indicator of that.

Pog couldn't even get on the pitch. Kelly, although out-of-position, played like a football was a new and alien thing to him. The most helpful thing Akpan has done since coming here is getting himself injured so he can have his sorryarse dragged off the pitch. Guthrie seems to have transformed into little more than a pointing machine. McCleary has the brain of a small bird. Marriapa shits his pants when anything, player or ball, comes near him. All absolute shite. Has a single signing of McD's ever worked out? Good f/cking riddance I say.

Yet our new manager seems a bit of a tosser too. Rightbacks at leftback, 4-5-1 at home against beatable teams, Alf as a lone striker, negative substitutions in a losing position, no pitch time for our best striker (what an achievement) and utter cluelessness all round.

What an embarrassing season, from owner to manager to players.

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 07 Apr 2013 12:27

Schards#2
Ian Royal I will be shocked if we extend our record 8 losses on the bounce in all competitions to 14.

I wouldn't be in the slightest.

We are the worst team in the division and have been all season, now we are imposing a new style of play on these players, in the short term, making us even more ineffective. We are absolutely there for the taking and other sides will see this so we won't get soft draws like Norwich & Swansea at home where the opposition were happy with a point.

However, it doesn't really matter. If we go down with 23 points or 30 points, what difference does it make? Like it or not, the club has taken a decision and gone with a manager who wants to play a style totally alien to our current squad, that means it's going to take time for the change to bear any fruit. The fans are just going to have to suck it up for the rest of this season and hope for brighter days ahead. If there is anything positive to be taken from yesterday, it was the quality of performance from the team that Adkins built. With patience from both the ownwrs and the fans, that can be us in 2-3 years, hopefully, the success spoilt, bandwagon jumpers who demand instant and interrupted success won't bother coming in the interim.

Agree with all this. The remaining games this season are just a drawn out trial for the current squad to see who is likely to have a place here next year to my mind. The absence of both Harte and Shorey yesterday tells a big story as to their future for example one would have thought.

As long as we see a developing progressive pattern of play over the rest of the season I won't be too disappointed. Any wins would be a bonus.

Think we are in line for a substantial clear out next summer.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 07 Apr 2013 12:33

The Beardy Man
Schards#2
Ian Royal I will be shocked if we extend our record 8 losses on the bounce in all competitions to 14.

We are the worst team in the division and have been all season, now we are imposing a new style of play on these players, in the short term, making us even more ineffective. We are absolutely there for the taking and other sides will see this so we won't get soft draws like Norwich & Swansea at home where the opposition were happy with a point.

However, it doesn't really matter. If we go down with 23 points or 30 points, what difference does it make? Like it or not, the club has taken a decision and gone with a manager who wants to play a style totally alien to our current squad, that means it's going to take time for the change to bear any fruit. The fans are just going to have to suck it up for the rest of this season and hope for brighter days ahead. If there is anything positive to be taken from yesterday, it was the quality of performance from the team that Adkins built. With patience from both the ownwrs and the fans, that can be us in 2-3 years, hopefully, the success spoilt, bandwagon jumpers who demand instant and interrupted success won't bother coming in the interim.

Agree with all this. The remaining games this season are just a drawn out trial for the current squad to see who is likely to have a place here next year to my mind. The absence of both Harte and Shorey yesterday tells a big story as to their future for example one would have thought.

As long as we see a developing progressive pattern of play over the rest of the season I won't be too disappointed. Any wins would be a bonus.

Think we are in line for a substantial clear out next summer.

Agreed - and the first 20 minutes yesterday was actually pretty good. Once Adkins gets to choose 3/4 of his own players to add in to the best of the ones we have got, and to work with the players through to next September, we really will see a massive improvement in entertainment.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Apr 2013 12:36

Spineless performance

Could care less about the tactics employed but all I ask for is a bit of fight
When we concede goals we don't roll up our sleeves we drop our heads and give up

Pathetic

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Apr 2013 13:27

AirRaidSiren @Ian Royal

I think we do have quality, I also think this squad WOULD have stayed up or had the quality under a different manager pre-christmas. I also think McDermott shot the confidence out of the entire squad. It's far far far too late to save us and fortunately, Adkins signed up.

Would you care to point out the "quality" especially all of our players that would have got in any other side bar QPR?

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 07 Apr 2013 13:29

Victor Meldrew
AirRaidSiren @Ian Royal

I think we do have quality, I also think this squad WOULD have stayed up or had the quality under a different manager pre-christmas. I also think McDermott shot the confidence out of the entire squad. It's far far far too late to save us and fortunately, Adkins signed up.

Would you care to point out the "quality" especially all of our players that would have got in any other side bar QPR?

No.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Apr 2013 13:33

Victor Meldrew
AirRaidSiren @Ian Royal

Kebe is quality - I expect we've seen the last of him.
Guthrie has the potential to be quality
McCarthy is a good goalie and I prefer him to Feds

that's about it really. But I don't agree with AirRaidSiren - McD always seemed to be able to get them to pick themselves up - not always this season but defo last season. They had a never say die attitude that was visible with some of our late results last season, even going a goal down. As I have said ad infinitum, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - I don't know who we should be blaming for the lack of proper investment - I think AZ and McD are both culpable, certainly there is no one person 100% to blame, we have a good championship squad, but the step up to the Prem is so huge that we were fighting a losing battle from the off really.

Let's see where we are in 2 or 3 years time and whether the club philosophy changes with the advent of a new manager who is not in the mould of McD or Coppell.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Apr 2013 13:38

Extended-Phenotype So thats that then.

Owners, ex-manager and the spendnothing brigade on here proved wrong once and for all as a team that did invest shows a team that didn't how to stay in the Premier League.

Ridiculous starting line-up, though perhaps an indication of how stupid McD was to try and replace/backup old man Harte with another old reject at leftback. Our scouting system this year involved reading cup opposition team sheets and going through McD's old address book and guess what? All our signings have been terrible and yesterday was the biggest indicator of that.

Pog couldn't even get on the pitch. Kelly, although out-of-position, played like a football was a new and alien thing to him. The most helpful thing Akpan has done since coming here is getting himself injured so he can have his sorryarse dragged off the pitch. Guthrie seems to have transformed into little more than a pointing machine. McCleary has the brain of a small bird. Marriapa shits his pants when anything, player or ball, comes near him. All absolute shite. Has a single signing of McD's ever worked out? Good f/cking riddance I say.

Yet our new manager seems a bit of a tosser too. Rightbacks at leftback, 4-5-1 at home against beatable teams, Alf as a lone striker, negative substitutions in a losing position, no pitch time for our best striker (what an achievement) and utter cluelessness all round.

What an embarrassing season, from owner to manager to players.

Yesterday from Adkins was a clear message to the owners - look what the hell I have to work with, show me the money!

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 07 Apr 2013 13:43

First half-second half

Federici 4-5
Gunter 6-6
Morrison 5-5
Mariappa 4-4
Kelly 5-4
HRK 7-6
McAnuff 4-2
Guthrie 7-5
Akpan 3-0
Leigertwood 0-5
Karacan 2-2
McCleary 0-4
Le Fondre 6-6
Hunt 0-5

After a day of reflection, it doesn't get any better. First 30 were good, looked like we might be able to score a goal in open play maybe, beyond that was a disaster. Until yesterday I still had a bit of hope we could win our home games and have a chance, now it's well and truly hopeless.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 07 Apr 2013 13:48

At the end of the day if 3 of your main relegation rivals do the double over you then we are where we deserve to be, at the bottom and going down.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 07 Apr 2013 14:09

Royal Lady
Victor Meldrew
AirRaidSiren @Ian Royal

Kebe is quality - I expect we've seen the last of him.
Guthrie has the potential to be quality
McCarthy is a good goalie and I prefer him to Feds

that's about it really. But I don't agree with AirRaidSiren - McD always seemed to be able to get them to pick themselves up - not always this season but defo last season. They had a never say die attitude that was visible with some of our late results last season, even going a goal down. As I have said ad infinitum, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - I don't know who we should be blaming for the lack of proper investment - I think AZ and McD are both culpable, certainly there is no one person 100% to blame, we have a good championship squad, but the step up to the Prem is so huge that we were fighting a losing battle from the off really.

Let's see where we are in 2 or 3 years time and whether the club philosophy changes with the advent of a new manager who is not in the mould of McD or Coppell.

You don't think players like Le Fondre, McCleary, Akpan, HRK, Mariappa, McAnuff for example(as well as the three you mentioned), aren't quality enough for Adkins, given that there will be a different style of football played next season? And a better system?

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 07 Apr 2013 14:12

windermere_royal At the end of the day if 3 of your main relegation rivals do the double over you then we are where we deserve to be, at the bottom and going down.

Sums it up perfectly.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Apr 2013 14:43

Schards#2

It's not totally alien in the slightest. It's a couple of steps up the passing scale. Adkins seems to play a similar style to Coppell and McDermott was just a couple of steps closer to route one than Coppell was. It's not like he's trying to do a Rodgers and make us Barcelona

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 07 Apr 2013 15:28

Was really happy to see:

1 - The entire team pressing much more but then after about the 40min, they started slipping into that craptastic style of allowing too much space.
2 - More passing and movement of the ball. But I also remember more passing under Rodgers and we couldn't win games. Must get better players.

Was very frustrated watching the squad McD purposefully put together that is the type of team that can get promoted but will always go straight back down. Defense a bit too slow and unorganized and completely outclassed in the possession and finishing areas.

Adkins got beat by the team he put together. Regardless of what others say on his spending and the relatively low position of Soton when he was sacked, his Soton team has much better players, more suited to the PL, and played a better style of football. Period.

If he gets proper funding, we'll do well next season.
Last edited by PremAddict on 07 Apr 2013 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

224 posts