Re: SJM - Minutes silence vs Liverpool

by Snowball » 10 Apr 2013 12:22

Liverpool Echo says the one minute will NOT be for Thatcher

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -33148909/

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Apr 2013 12:25

As for those who say we should be silent and allow a minute's silence (for Thatcher)
seem to miss the point that if we think the silence "honouring her" is wrong, by
being silent we are complicit and hypocritical.

To outsiders, to MotD there would be no distinction between those honouring MT
and those seething but staying shtum.

It is simply wrong to even suggest a minute's silence for such a controversial figure
because it creates division and an unnecessary tension between sections of the public
(just like she did in office)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Apr 2013 12:28

Divvy
Agreed. Liverpool fans are raging. They don't want a minutes silence at all just in case. They're looking at it as a ploy to get what SJM wanted but using Hillsborough as the way to get it. As you say, they need to now come out and make it 100% clear it is for Hillsborough and NOTHING AT ALL to do with Maggie Thatcher.

Another shambles in what has been a shambolic season. Let it end now, please!

They should sing something clearly for the 96, rather than be silent and even let a whisper of MT be suggested.

For example, the club may not mention MT on the day but MotD may
see a respectful silence and say it's for dear old Maggie.

Divvy

by Divvy » 10 Apr 2013 12:32

Liverpool are trying to arrange a 2 minute applause on 6 minutes. I like that idea. Criticise them all you want, but as a lover of football, I find the whole Hillsborough affair very emotional. I can still remember sitting watching the news as it happened. Watching the eye witness accounts on YouTube is still heart wrenching.

lifetime fan

by lifetime fan » 10 Apr 2013 12:43

Liverpool fan here...if the minutes silence is clearly only for the 96 then I imagine it will be observed impeccably. Any mention of that woman though and no one will observe a minutes silence.

All you'll get is the loudest minute of Justice for the 96 you've ever heard.

AJ_urz9

by AJ_urz9 » 10 Apr 2013 12:45

I myself was not alive during the Thatcher reign/ Hillsbrough disaster so I don't really have 100% knowledge of how much of role she played or whatever, at the end of the day we are FOOTBALL fans so if there is an occasion like this then we should pay our respects to the football fans who died, not some politician that (from what I hear) was particularly unpopular in Liverpool anyway.
If a member of the royal family died, ok do a minite for them not for a politician.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Apr 2013 12:45

Snowball For example, the club may not mention MT on the day but MotD may
see a respectful silence and say it's for dear old Maggie.

Then MoTD would be wrong

FFS every game should be having a minutes silence this weekend, not just the one involving Liverpool, because it was football fans that died that day. Also, because of Thatcher's contempt of football fans generally, not just relating to the disaster, nobody attending matches should have any desire to celebrate her life in that context, regardless of how pleased they are with all of her other policies

Divvy

by Divvy » 10 Apr 2013 12:46

lifetime fan Liverpool fan here...if the minutes silence is clearly only for the 96 then I imagine it will be observed impeccably. Any mention of that woman though and no one will observe a minutes silence.

All you'll get is the loudest minute of Justice for the 96 you've ever heard.

I'm sure many of us would be with you on that as well.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Apr 2013 12:49

philM We have to assume that the club are smart enough

:lol:

lifetime fan

by lifetime fan » 10 Apr 2013 12:50

For those of you who havn't seen it, this is a letter from that womans own chief press secretary. There is no doubt she was involved in the cover up.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 10 Apr 2013 12:53

lifetime fan For those of you who havn't seen it, this is a letter from that womans own chief press secretary. There is no doubt she was involved in the cover up.

Do you not think the police lied to Thatcher and she merely passed on the information she was given? Just a thought.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 10 Apr 2013 13:00

Maguire Britian now >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Britain in 1979

To be honest I think you should all just say thank you.

Yeah but Tony Blair is still alive :D

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Apr 2013 13:04

As deeply unimpressive the AZ regime has been so far, at least he doesn't come out with embarassing nonsense like SJM does from time to time :|

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 10 Apr 2013 13:05

Tommy Youlden's Ears Frankly, I think the whole minutes silence thing is an unfortunate modern plague.

Once there was the Remembrance Sunday minute, and state funerals. Now it's an almost weekly occurrence. Someone who played 50 years ago dies. Have a silence. Some people die in a disaster somewhere. Have a silence. Something really horrid happens have two minutes. Three. Ten.

So now it feels to some that Thatcher 'deserves' or 'merits' a silence, and that not to do so is disrespectful.

I categorise the whole minutes silence epidemic as part of an increasingly lazy and infantalising media. The forced hilarity and empathy of comic relief. The mawkish 'back stories' of X-Factor. The mass ululation and flower laying for 'Baby X' who "I nivver met but woz luvvly an is wiv da angels".

So, on Saturday, "You will feel sorry now...and....whistle...lets carry on then". Bunch of arse. We are all capable of feeling appropriate emotions at appropriate times, and of due reflection on loss and meaning. I think such matters must and should be personal.

11/11 is different. A nation showing its respect for miilions of soldiers and civilians who did what was asked of them and lost everything. Their loss was collective and communal and demands respect and remembrance. Whether you think Thatcher, Churchill or Gordon Brown the finer leader - we can all agree that it was the world wars that destroyed our economy and our national vitality. Preserve the silence for things that matter, I say.

If there's a silence on Saturday I will observe it out of courtesy - but with less engagement than were I watching a crisp packet floating in the breeze.

By miles the best post on this thread.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Apr 2013 13:05

No Fixed Abode
lifetime fan For those of you who havn't seen it, this is a letter from that womans own chief press secretary. There is no doubt she was involved in the cover up.

Do you not think the police lied to Thatcher and she merely passed on the information she was given? Just a thought.

Wait a minuuuuuuuuute.....Kes is exoner8ing Liverpool fans? Headline news here in itself :!:

Anfield Kopite

by Anfield Kopite » 10 Apr 2013 13:20

F.A.O. lifetime fan, I too support Liverpool. I would suggest most on here are fair minded and respectful people. However, I must warn you that there are a handful of utter bellends on here. The one who first replied to your post that showed the letter (No Fixed Abode who is also referred to as Kes) has posted many times on this site that our supporters were behaving badly at Hillsborough, even sadly since the findings of the H.I.P. were made public.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 10 Apr 2013 13:21

Will it ever cease?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 10 Apr 2013 13:26

floyd__streete As deeply unimpressive the AZ regime has been so far, at least he doesn't come out with embarassing nonsense like SJM does from time to time :|

I think you have to get used to the fact that SJM has been moved from the role of owner to that of drunk uncle. He'll see out his days getting lashed on claret in the director's box, getting increasingly red-faced and coming our with irrelevant utterings that will be reported less and less as time goes on.

Divvy

by Divvy » 10 Apr 2013 13:26

Anfield Kopite F.A.O. lifetime fan, I too support Liverpool. I would suggest most on here are fair minded and respectful people. However, I must warn you that there are a handful of utter bellends on here. The one who first replied to your post that showed the letter (No Fixed Abode who is also referred to as Kes) has posted many times on this site that our supporters were behaving badly at Hillsborough, even sadly since the findings of the H.I.P. were made public.

He is also a Chelsea prat.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 10 Apr 2013 13:33

That woman hated football

She tried to kill it. Why should there be respect shown by fans of a sport that she showed total distain for?

Football is a sport not a political play thing .

335 posts