335 posts
Para Handy

Re: SJM - Minutes silence vs Liverpool

by Para Handy » 10 Apr 2013 22:47

Snowball
Cobi To a LFC fan (@HonourableAlert) on Twitter

I had an identical reply.

Note how it blurs the intent

Look Snowbers, lets face it. The club or rather JM fucked up. It's no big surprise. I've no idea what you're on about with "blurs the intent". I'm guessing the dopey old twat had no idea of the significance of the occasion as he's not a football fan. Cue, much running around to limit the damage. I've already posted my opinion that it's wrong. However, some of you appear to want make some kind of political point out of it, which is equally wrong in my opinion. Basically the whole thing is bollox.

Anfield Kopite

by Anfield Kopite » 10 Apr 2013 22:51

Para Handy Before the resident LIverpool fans get too over excited...

I'm guessing most Reading fans think this a clusterfuck of a situation and one that could/should have been avoided whatever your political opinion.

For me, I honestly couldn't believe the earlier messages in this thread suggesting that we might hold a minutes silence for Maggie. Not because I dislike her (which I confess I do), but because I don't really see the significance of doing so. It never occurred to me that Reading would even consider holding a minutes silence for someone that a) had nothing do with the club b) wasn't exactly a friend of football and c) isn't a serving PM and let's face it isn't actually a national disaster (that she's died).

Just another brick in the wall for me though.

I agree with nearly all of that Para. Just don't get the first bit when you say about the resident Liverpool fans get too excited. I doubt anyone gets excited when you post.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 10 Apr 2013 23:04

Anfield Kopite
Para Handy Before the resident LIverpool fans get too over excited...

I'm guessing most Reading fans think this a clusterfuck of a situation and one that could/should have been avoided whatever your political opinion.

For me, I honestly couldn't believe the earlier messages in this thread suggesting that we might hold a minutes silence for Maggie. Not because I dislike her (which I confess I do), but because I don't really see the significance of doing so. It never occurred to me that Reading would even consider holding a minutes silence for someone that a) had nothing do with the club b) wasn't exactly a friend of football and c) isn't a serving PM and let's face it isn't actually a national disaster (that she's died).

Just another brick in the wall for me though.

I agree with nearly all of that Para. Just don't get the first bit when you say about the resident Liverpool fans get too excited. I doubt anyone gets excited when you post.

Yawn, Anfers, you can join the list of posters like Kes etc that have nothing original to say but somehow think that repeating the same thing is humour. TBH I couldn't give a shit about what Liverpool fans think. My experience of them on the buses to Reading games is that a lot of them are vindictive, mouthy pcunts. Nevertheless, I sympathise with the genuines fans over Hillsborough.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 10 Apr 2013 23:09

Sick of talking about Hillsborough, Liverpool & Thatcher TBH.

Glad I'm not going on Sat. Just hope my viagogo sold tickets didn't go to 2 scouse chavs & went to Reading fans.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Apr 2013 23:09

The blurring is that the email doesn't clearly say there will be NO Maggie T connection

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 10 Apr 2013 23:17

Snowball The blurring is that the email doesn't clearly say there will be NO Maggie T connection

Jesus, you are one paranoid person,

It clearly says its for the 96 and that JM has expressed his "personal" views but "Reading Football Club will be paying their respects to the memory .. etc. etc.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 10 Apr 2013 23:33

So now any document that doesn't explicitly deny something, is secretly trying to sneak that in?

The EDL's mission statement makes no mention of not praising Thatcher either, so I guess their Islamophobia is just a front for Thatcherism.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 11 Apr 2013 07:03

What the fuck are they thinking? :shock: :(

There is a football angle to Margaret Thatcher for Liverpool. And they have every right to take offense to her seeing that there was a cover-up about Hillsborough. I would not blame any Liverpool supporters, or scousers generally speaking, being highly offended by honoring her. She was a very divisive figure to begin with but to the city and football team which takes its name, it is personal and rightly so.

This is incredibly poor judgement and in very bad taste...I know SJM is a big Tory, but c'mon now. :roll: :roll:

I just hope for our fans that if it happens they don't take it too personal and want to take it out on us our next trip there...whenever that may be.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Apr 2013 07:26

One of Thatcher's greatest successes was the divide and conquer of the working class. 20 plus years on from her being PM, that strategy is well and truly built into the foundations and fabric of British society. It is disappointing to see that the one thing that can bring people together has been used for political gain.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 11 Apr 2013 07:28

This is getting on my tits!

Thatcher should not be celebrated at all by anyone. She ruined so many lives and I have friends on both sides, Liverpool and Everton... They are nothing but respectable people! Some of the posts on here are disgusting!

I would like to respect the 96, but after Madejski's farce... This is now not the time

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 11 Apr 2013 07:31

Anfield Kopite
retro_royal What they should do is announce it as a minutes silence for Hillsborough, then afterwards the announcer says "Thanks to all the supporters for observing the minutes silence as a mark of respect for the late Baroness Thatcher. Today's silence was sponsored by The Sun, and by 'Giustizia per Heysel', you scouse bastards."

Should they really ? How sensible that would be.

Ignore them AK... It shows what brainless morons some Reading fans can be. They obviously don't know enough about Hillsborough and Thatcher to comment!

If this happens I will hang my head in shame... For a few minutes I will be embarrassed to be a Royal :(

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 11 Apr 2013 08:32

Reading4eva They obviously don't know enough about Hillsborough and Thatcher to comment!

Pot and kettle mate. Obviously neither do you.

She did what was absolutely necessary at the time. There are naturally always casualties when something so radical has to be done.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Apr 2013 08:44

There was never any suggestion that RFC would hold some impromptu tribute to Thatcher so LOL at all the earnest letter writing.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 11 Apr 2013 08:48

Snowball The blurring is that the email doesn't clearly say there will be NO Maggie T connection

Wow, you're spot on m8. As I see it, you have two options:

- lock all the doors in your house, black out all the windows and hide under your bed until 4.50, maybe 4.55, on Saturday to allow for injury time, or
- take a klaxon horn to the game to blow throughout the minute's silence

Otherwise you clearly run the risk of being seen to tacitly prostrate yourself at the feet of Thatcher

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Apr 2013 10:17

:| :roll: :| :roll: :| :roll: :| :roll:

Anfield Kopite

by Anfield Kopite » 11 Apr 2013 10:23

Reading4eva
Anfield Kopite
retro_royal What they should do is announce it as a minutes silence for Hillsborough, then afterwards the announcer says "Thanks to all the supporters for observing the minutes silence as a mark of respect for the late Baroness Thatcher. Today's silence was sponsored by The Sun, and by 'Giustizia per Heysel', you scouse bastards."

Should they really ? How sensible that would be.

Ignore them AK... It shows what brainless morons some Reading fans can be. They obviously don't know enough about Hillsborough and Thatcher to comment!

If this happens I will hang my head in shame... For a few minutes I will be embarrassed to be a Royal :(

i'm pretty sure this particular moron is not a Reading fan R4E but thanks anyway mate.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 11 Apr 2013 10:24

The suggestion of a minute's silence just shows how totally out of touch with the real world SJM is. And the same can be said for Dave Whelan.

Earth to Planet Madejski - Leeds Utd care calling for you!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Apr 2013 10:29

whelans even worse, coming from an area where the h8 is even stronger as he does

Anfield Kopite

by Anfield Kopite » 11 Apr 2013 10:54

Dave Whelan is an absolute cockhead. Don't know enough about SJM to comment. I couldn't give a toss whether they have a minutes silence for Hillsborough or Thatcher as it wont bring anyone back. I just think given the fact that nearly all Liverpool fans despise Thatcher because of her policies and even more so because of her apparent role in the cover up after Hillsborough means that if there was a silence for Thatcher then it would probably be disrupted. However, unlike some, I think the e mail from Paul Collins is perfectly clear.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Apr 2013 12:00

actually, you dont know if she was actively involved in the cover up at all

335 posts