Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
6 Million Dollar Man

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by 6 Million Dollar Man » 11 Apr 2013 21:45

I don't see Brian and Leeds as a perfect match...huge club, huge expectations, impatient owners...I think if this happens it could all end in tears

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Apr 2013 21:49

6 Million Dollar Man I don't see Brian and Leeds as a perfect match...huge club, huge expectations, impatient owners...I think if this happens it could all end in tears

My thoughts, too.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2013 21:55

I think he's got a small chance of getting them promoted if he's given two or three years. Although not many clubs seem to give managers that long these days. I don't think he'd keep them up, or survive a full Prem season with them if they did get back there.

Best of luck to him, I'm sure he'll have them consistently top half at the least. First game to go down on my list to make next season so I can give him a cheer.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Apr 2013 22:35

No problem, vice versa with yourself - it's up to you when you post accepting the fact you're a numpty as I expect the margin with which we finish above Leeds will be substantial. Also, if McDermott's sacked before the end of the season you lose the bet, same with Adkins for me obviously though thankfully Anton actually knows a thing or two about football unlike his predecessor.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Apr 2013 22:40

Ideal
Royalee Also, if McDermott's sacked before the end of the season you lose the bet

I won't take that, because McDermott always starts slow and then goes on a run towards the end of the season, so if they sack him in November I'm not on for that.

What if he's in the relegation zone and they sack him? Let's say earliest either party can be sacked is January for this to take effect.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 11 Apr 2013 23:26

4. If I lose this wager I shall refrain from using this forum ever again.[/quote]

Jesus, suddenly the whole readership of HNA is hoping we go up next year as runners-up

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Apr 2013 00:52

Personally I'm hoping we finish level on points, goal difference, goals scored, Head to Head and anything else they use to judge league position so they both go. Then again that might mean they both stay...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Apr 2013 18:25

:lol:

This is a no lose situation, but I'm praying for Lee's safe victory.

Stretts
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

FAO Anton - You owe us an explanation.

by Stretts » 12 Apr 2013 20:14

What's your modus operandi?

There's a lot of us that don't understand why you didn't spend in January to at least give us half a chance to stay in the Premier League.

And please explain the timing of Brian's dismissal? Did you really think that someone new could prevent relegation, or are you thinking long term, in which case surely Brian has as much credentials as anyone to get a team from the Championship to the Premier League.

If you want to contact me off line for help/advice then PM me (I won the treble with Stretton Royals so am qualified to speak).

W&E Royal

Re: FAO Anton - You owe us an explanation.

by W&E Royal » 12 Apr 2013 20:21

Because the style of football BM played was utter dog shit.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Apr 2013 20:22

here we go again

Stoke City anyone?

Divvy

by Divvy » 12 Apr 2013 20:26

AthleticoSpizz here we go again

Stoke City anyone?

Dogshit football but with a manager that knows how to be competitive at this level, unlike Brian McDermott (sadly).

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 12 Apr 2013 20:31

Stretts What's your modus operandi?

There's a lot of us that don't understand why you didn't spend in January to at least give us half a chance to stay in the Premier League.

And please explain the timing of Brian's dismissal? Did you really think that someone new could prevent relegation, or are you thinking long term, in which case surely Brian has as much credentials as anyone to get a team from the Championship to the Premier League.

If you want to contact me off line for help/advice then PM me (I won the treble with Stretton Royals so am qualified to speak).

You're idea of long term is promotion to the Premiership? Hopefully, unlike yourself, Anton's long term goal is not promotion to the Premier League but staying in the Premier League.
I definitely won't be getting hyped up about another promotion again if it's blatantly obvious we'd get thumped every week if promoted.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Apr 2013 20:38

Stretts There's a lot of us that don't understand why you didn't spend in January to at least give us half a chance to stay in the Premier League.

I think you'll find that releg8tion is entirely the fault of Brian McD, m8. Anton was practically begging him to spend trillions but Brian flatly refused to spend it. Or something.

Yours,

A.Revisionist.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 12 Apr 2013 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Apr 2013 20:40

Divvy

Stoke City anyone?

Dogshit football but with a manager that knows how to be competitive at this level, unlike Brian McDermott (sadly).
and just how do managers get to know how to be competitive at this level?

Wipped
Location: If happy ever after did exist, I'd still be holding you like this

by Wipped » 12 Apr 2013 21:01

AthleticoSpizz
Divvy

Stoke City anyone?

and just how do managers get to know how to be competitive at this level?

Learn from their mistakes, rather than say they have and then keep making the same ones? Just saying.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Apr 2013 23:15

Stretts There's a lot of us that don't understand why you didn't spend in January to at least give us half a chance to stay in the Premier League.

Money doesn't buy a team.

A team takes time to assemble. Continuity of a manager is key.

Football clubs are playthings of the mega rich who have a total disconnection to the paying supporter.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Apr 2013 23:18

surprisingly and despite it all, the paying supporters have not disconnected from their clubs......some have just disconnected from the past

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Apr 2013 23:44

Nice use of modus operandi

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Apr 2013 23:49

Stretts, I appreciate where you're coming from as I didn't want Brian to go, thought Anton was being a foolish young owner and was blaming Brian for failure to invest which was at least partly his own fault. And I still hold to those beliefs. The whole thing sickens me.

HOWEVER we can't deny that now the dust has settled we've ended up better off. We have a manager who has at least as good a record as Brian's, an infinitely better record of knowing how to spend big than Brian's, and who arguably produces a team that plays better football than Brian's. Plus we now have an owner who is almost duty bound to spend and most importantly he has his own man in rather than tolerating the previous manager half heartedly, which means more trust with budgets etc..

So whilst I hated the whole thing and wish I could turn the clock back, I'm happy with where we are now.

And seeing as I can't turn the clock back the wisest thing (at least for me) is to move on and appreciate we're in a stronger position.

3714 posts