Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: FAO Anton - You owe us an explanation.

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Apr 2013 23:52

lots of good teams in the championship to prove you wrong....but...cant argue with too much of that^

AkpansBFF

Re: FAO Anton - You owe us an explanation.

by AkpansBFF » 13 Apr 2013 00:01

Adkins style of football is better. Look at where we are compared to Southampton? And sacking brian now gives adkins time to decide who he wants to keep.

schubert06

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by schubert06 » 13 Apr 2013 02:11

Wrong decision. Fact.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Apr 2013 02:51

MmmMonsterMunch
Hoop Blah
andrew1957 But the point is we already tried this experiment with Rodgers - who we must all now acknowledge is a top manager. He was given the brief to change the style of play, but neither the club nor the fans had the stomach for it and he was sacked after 21 games. I felt it was wrong to sack Rodgers then - just as it was wrong to sack Brain for exactly the opposite reasons now.

I think the same is likely to happen with Adkins. He will be given the brief of "change the way we play" AND "instant success". If we are not top contenders from the off next season I wait for the baying for Adkins blood and then no doubt he will be sacked and we will promote Dolan to bring things back to the Reading way again.

This is a farce. If you want change then it will take several seasons in the wilderness and quite likely a visit to League 1 along the way (like Southampton did).

It might be a painful process to start with but this is certainly something the club needs to do if it wants to keep up and make a challenge for a more prolonged stay at in the top flight in the future.

There are a few differences to Rodger time too.
- it's a different owner
- he's presumably looking to stand by his appointment, and back him the funds
- Rodgers was, apparently, booted out because of issues with certain senior officials at the club and you can't assume that the new owner will allow Adkins to follow the same fate
- with Adkins on board now he'll be able to shape the squad over the summer as he'd like instead of Rodgers picking up a squad who'd had a lot of summer changes already enforced by Hammond before he was appointed (eg Murty & Hahnemann) and so his rebuilding will be months ahead of anything Rodgers could've had

Good post. Agree with that.

I also feel that the proverbial penny has dropped with RFC fans. After this season's woeful Prem effort they get the need to change the style of play & improve technically. Don't forget that when Rodgers came in he gave it all the messiah spiel about how amazing he was & after having just missed out on auto promotion & then in the play-offs, expectations were quite high.

Rodgers was partly to blame for that IMO.

Not the same this time. I think Anton will back Adkins with cash & support personally. I think we could potentially have a squeak at promotion next season but if we end up mid table but playing pretty football & progressing then I won't be too concerned.

IMO, the championship next year will be easier than last year when we won it. Not saying that'll mean we do well by any stretch but the competition isn't that fierce.

I'm confident Adkins can get us back up within 2-3 years - look at his record he's a winner through & through.

:P :P :P :P :P :P

So, we sack someone for getting us up in his second full season whilst having to sell at least one of his best players every summer then, give the job to someone else but give him a big a wad of cash to get us up in the same time frame but playing more attractive football :| ...................if only they would put you two on the board we could really go places :P :P :P :P

Meanwhile, some of us can't help wondering what being allowed to hang onto Long and Sigurdsson might have done for the "style" of McDermott's team :roll:

As I suggested elsewhere, if Adkins is a worthy successor to the man who got us up on a wing and a prayer, a substantial budget should ensure he either, imparts his own style on the team whilst running a successful promotion campaign or, finds himself out of a job in 12 months time :|

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Apr 2013 13:09

We sorted then Ideal? Oh look, Sheffield Wednesday just scored.

Divvy

by Divvy » 13 Apr 2013 14:46

Leeds beat Sheffield Wednesday in a Championship relegation scrap. Hold the back page, we shouldn't have sacked McDermott.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 13 Apr 2013 14:47

Ideal
Royalee We sorted then Ideal? Oh look, Sheffield Wednesday just scored.

We're pretty much sorted this out, Oh look Leeds won 2-1, stick that up your pipe and smoke it!!!

ok its not like we can chalk up leeds win today to brian, honestly mate he JUST took charge of the team yesterday. we will know its brians team when they start playing shit hoofball and attacking on the break instead of creating genuine chances for themselves.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 13 Apr 2013 14:57

Ideal Yeah he only WON THE DIVISION last season...

What are you trying to achieve by constantly blubbing about Brian's sacking?

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 13 Apr 2013 15:00

Ideal Yeah he only WON THE DIVISION last season...

.....and put us bottom of the Premier league. Good one Einstein.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Apr 2013 16:14

Woodcote Royal So, we sack someone for getting us up in his second full season whilst having to sell at least one of his best players every summer then, give the job to someone else but give him a big a wad of cash to get us up in the same time frame but playing more attractive football :| ...................if only they would put you two on the board we could really go places :P :P :P :P

No, we sacked someone being being totaly out of his depth in his third full season in charge being the man with the most responsibility for getting the club relegated and had shown himself reluctant to make the changes needed and spend the money required in order to improve the squad enough to compete .

We look set to give a big wad of cash to a man who's shown is willing and able to spend that on good players and get them playing in a way that is, long term, going to provide us with a better platform for success and should be more entertaining to watch.

Woodcote Royal Meanwhile, some of us can't help wondering what being allowed to hang onto Long and Sigurdsson might have done for the "style" of McDermott's team :roll:

Southampton, and Adkins himself, have also had to deal with set backs to their squad building with the loss of key/quality players over the years (Surman, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Dyer & Bale before that) so we can hardly claim to be alone in that sense. The best way to keep those quality players is to be successful. If he hadn't have lost that play off final then McDermott wouldn't have lost Long.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 13 Apr 2013 17:35

On todays performance...should we have sacked BMD sooner? Given Adkins more time to teach the players how to play football...?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 13 Apr 2013 17:38

Y21 On todays performance...should we have sacked BMD sooner? Given Adkins more time to teach the players how to play football...?

Think we all know the answer but hey at least we got Adkins before anyone else snapped him up - which they would have.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 13 Apr 2013 19:35

Yes it was the right decision.

It was admirable that McDermott was given so long.

I'm glad we have a manager that seems to be trying to impress a better style of play upon us, and we have an exciting future with Adkins.
I'm glad we have an assistant that you can see actually getting involved, warming up before the game, on the touchlines, speaking to subs. Makes you realise how pedestrian Gibbs actually was.
And I'm glad we have an owner that's got the balls to sack a likeable manager that managed to get every last ounce out of a fairly limited squad (that he himself had assembled). Against the will of the old Chairman.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 13 Apr 2013 19:43

Y21 On todays performance...should we have sacked BMD sooner? Given Adkins more time to teach the players how to play football...?

Yes. Should of done it after Saints away, then again..doubt very much we would have Adkins.

Fate is a beautiful thing 8)

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 13 Apr 2013 19:51

maffff Yes it was the right decision.

It was admirable that McDermott was given so long.

I'm glad we have a manager that seems to be trying to impress a better style of play upon us, and we have an exciting future with Adkins.
I'm glad we have an assistant that you can see actually getting involved, warming up before the game, on the touchlines, speaking to subs. Makes you realise how pedestrian Gibbs actually was.
And I'm glad we have an owner that's got the balls to sack a likeable manager that managed to get every last ounce out of a fairly limited squad (that he himself had assembled). Against the will of the old Chairman.

Hit the nail on the head there, Maffff. That style, the approach, the mentality...that is the difference that I believe, AZ is looking for. To me, AZ wanted this kind of philosophy and Brian hasn't got that. I don't think it was just the bad results, it was the bad football.

Now, we're 'seeing the light'...it's all too late for now, but next season I think will be very different.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 13 Apr 2013 19:58

On today's performance, i cant wait for next season, i really do think we have a chance of coming straight back up

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 13 Apr 2013 20:11

Isnt it about time to put these "Brian" threads to bed, everything has now moved on we have a new manager, McD has a new job so its all done and dusted all the continual bringing up of these threads does is to give the "Brian should have stayed" chappies a chance to critisize any small mistake that Adkins may make. We have moved on get over it, it's football, thats what happens you walk on water one month,and drownin it the next one, enough is enough now forget it, and look to the future under the new man.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 13 Apr 2013 20:40

Adkins seem to have give everybody a "lift" already,great decision.If only we had him at the start of the season :cry:

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 13 Apr 2013 21:09

howser Isnt it about time to put these "Brian" threads to bed, everything has now moved on we have a new manager, McD has a new job so its all done and dusted all the continual bringing up of these threads does is to give the "Brian should have stayed" chappies a chance to critisize any small mistake that Adkins may make. We have moved on get over it, it's football, thats what happens you walk on water one month,and drownin it the next one, enough is enough now forget it, and look to the future under the new man.

Unfortunately some HNA'ers and fans alike still can't accept that he was sacked for the right reasons, they're still trying to suckle from McDermott's right bosom

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Apr 2013 21:58

[
Hoop Blah We sacked someone for being totally out of his depth in his third full season in charge being the man with the most responsibility for getting the club relegated and had shown himself reluctant to make the changes needed and spend the money required in order to improve the squad enough to compete

So, when McDermott was sacked for being "totally out of his depth" how many less points had he gained per match than Adkins who was allowed to spend £30m+ strengthening his squad?

Hoop Blah We look set to give a big wad of cash to a man who's shown is willing and able to spend that on good players and get them playing in a way that is, long term, going to provide us with a better platform for success and should be more entertaining to watch.

So, again, having spent the kind of money that no one has suggested was made available to McDermott (and admittedly on some decent players) how many extra points did he gain with Southampton for all those extra millions denied to the man supposedly so far out of his depth :|

Hoop Blah Southampton, and Adkins himself, have also had to deal with set backs to their squad building with the loss of key/quality players over the years (Surman, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Dyer & Bale before that) so we can hardly claim to be alone in that sense. The best way to keep those quality players is to be successful. If he hadn't have lost that play off final then McDermott wouldn't have lost Long.

So, having lost Long because we lost the play-off final, McDermott's inferior squad went on to beat Adkins superior squad to the Championship title :|

There must be professionals in all walks of life dreaming of being so far out of their depth :P

I only wish Adkins all the best in his time as Reading manager but there is nothing to suggest he is markedly superior to McDermott and if, in inheriting a more than decent Championship squad he's going to be given the funds to strengthen in a way that Brian could only dream about, WTF should he get 3 seasons to make his mark :|

3714 posts