The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

1445 posts
USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 13 Apr 2013 16:59

well no chance of feds getting back in the lineup after todays performance.

lolwut

by lolwut » 13 Apr 2013 16:59

End of thread.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2013 17:00

Wow. 10/10. MotM.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 13 Apr 2013 17:01

Awesome display but one swallow doesn't make a summer ...or something like that

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 13 Apr 2013 17:02

Feds can go

Not a patch on McCarthy

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 13 Apr 2013 17:03

Gunny Fishcake Awesome display but one swallow doesn't make a summer ...or something like that

Every single game this season( =i think) he has been in he has been a top performer. Federici doesn't come close unfortunately. QPR freekick anyone?

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 13 Apr 2013 17:07

McCarthy has, from his 1st game for us, been the best keeper . He's taller , more athletic AND better than Feds.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 13 Apr 2013 17:49

leon
RoyallyFcuked McCarthy will start the next game and will probably then play the remaining games this season. Adkins has given Taylor a chance, now Federici, then McCarthy. He probably already knows McCarthy is our best keeper and if he had played McCarthy today he would have had to drop him for Feds then drop Feds for him.

McCarthy > Federici

I wish I was as ITK as you.

Well, looks like I was right.....

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 13 Apr 2013 17:55

Ideal
Gunny Fishcake Awesome display but one swallow doesn't make a summer ...or something like that

He's been amazing in 90% of his appearances, which contrasts Federici who fumbles the ball into the net in 25% of his appearances..

:lol:

+1.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 13 Apr 2013 18:12

The shirt is his. Let's hope it stays that way.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Apr 2013 18:34

Fantastic performance today - although not error free. Probably went down to ground too early for the chance that Gunter cleared off the line. The save he made with his leg/foot just before half-time was only necessary because he completely messed up his positioning for their corner from our right- started too forward and then moved further forward, allowing the ball to float over him to the far post - great recovery though.

The other thing he needs to really work on before he becomes the £10M+ keeper that some of his greatest fans are already talking about is his kicking. Today it was very easy to see why Adkins favoured Feds last week because of his better distribution. Some of McCarthy's goalkicks were absolutely dire and his kicking from the ground was generally poor - on a couple of occasions his poor distribution put us into potential trouble but he was rescued by his team-mates (favours he more than returned!).

Still a great performance though.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Apr 2013 18:40

RB I'm sure you just think you're being realistic, but your post is like criticising a Monet because the frame is shit. With only a few exceptions, all players need to work on facets of their game. Feds wouldn't have got near a couple of those 'worldies' today. That's what wins you points.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

Why does everybody hate Federici?

by urz13 » 13 Apr 2013 19:07

I don't understand it. McCarthy played brilliantly and deserves the No. 1 shirt now, but all the stick for Federici is uncalled for and disgraceful. He been a huge player for the club over the last few years and some fans seem to be desperate for him to get out the door and happy to forget his previous performances due to a couple of mistakes. Even worse is how people claim he's had falling outs with managers etc despite no evidence of this and then label him a bad egg. Its shameful and I think the man who was instrumental in us winning the league last season deserves far more respect than a bunch of idiots slating him and drooling at the prospect of his departure.

He is a fantastic keeper (remember some of his performances in the past - Coventry at home last season stands out) and if this is how he'll be treated by fans I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to leave.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Why does everybody hate Federici?

by Mr Optimist » 13 Apr 2013 19:12

I don't think he helped himself with his "come and get me" plea interview on Sky a couple of years ago.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 13 Apr 2013 19:13

urz13 I don't understand it. McCarthy played brilliantly and deserves the No. 1 shirt now, but all the stick for Federici is uncalled for and disgraceful. He been a huge player for the club over the last few years and some fans seem to be desperate for him to get out the door and happy to forget his previous performances due to a couple of mistakes. Even worse is how people claim he's had falling outs with managers etc despite no evidence of this and then label him a bad egg. Its shameful and I think the man who was instrumental in us winning the league last season deserves far more respect than a bunch of idiots slating him and drooling at the prospect of his departure.

He is a fantastic keeper (remember some of his performances in the past - Coventry at home last season stands out) and if this is how he'll be treated by fans I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to leave.

No one hates Federici. He's been outstanding for us over the last few years as you rightly say. We just feel that McCarthy is the better keeper and hasn't yet made a huge blunder, of which Federici is culpable for regularly this season. He practically begged to be sold a few years back too.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 13 Apr 2013 19:14

Do people REALLY hate Federici? Or do they just prefer a homegrown player?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2013 19:16

Tendency to drop absolute howlers too often for a keeper of his ability combined with typical Aussie arrogance = not very likeable.

Been brilliant at times, once, maybe twice, for a whole season. He hasn't taken his chance to step up, instead he's gone a little backwards. When we have McCarthy waiting in the wings, arguably one of the best products of our youth set up has produced. It's understandable he doesn't get the support he perhaps deserves when you take into account the howlers and the attitude.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Apr 2013 19:16

I don't!

And I agree with you entirely.

However, some on here have to have their scapegoat. And, as a father of two keepers, I know how easy it is for idiots to make the keeper the scapegoat when a team is doing badly, despite the fact that the blame probably lies just as much with the 10 outfield players.

Keepers are usually the villains and rarely the heros. Bizarrely, strikers can miss countless opportunities but remain blame free, despite their mistakes costing their teams dearly.

McCarthy is deservedly the hero today but rest assured he will be the villain more often, simply because he will let goals in that the 'experts' amongst our support think he should have prevented!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 13 Apr 2013 19:16

urz13 I don't understand it. McCarthy played brilliantly and deserves the No. 1 shirt now, but all the stick for Federici is uncalled for and disgraceful. He been a huge player for the club over the last few years and some fans seem to be desperate for him to get out the door and happy to forget his previous performances due to a couple of mistakes. Even worse is how people claim he's had falling outs with managers etc despite no evidence of this and then label him a bad egg. Its shameful and I think the man who was instrumental in us winning the league last season deserves far more respect than a bunch of idiots slating him and drooling at the prospect of his departure.

This.

They don't seem to recognise some of their own behaviour when it's pointed out to them via McCarthy.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Apr 2013 19:22

RoyalBlue Fantastic performance today - although not error free. Probably went down to ground too early for the chance that Gunter cleared off the line. The save he made with his leg/foot just before half-time was only necessary because he completely messed up his positioning for their corner from our right- started too forward and then moved further forward, allowing the ball to float over him to the far post - great recovery though.

The other thing he needs to really work on before he becomes the £10M+ keeper that some of his greatest fans are already talking about is his kicking. Today it was very easy to see why Adkins favoured Feds last week because of his better distribution. Some of McCarthy's goalkicks were absolutely dire and his kicking from the ground was generally poor - on a couple of occasions his poor distribution put us into potential trouble but he was rescued by his team-mates (favours he more than returned!).

Still a great performance though.

Don't think his kicking was that bad today. It's the weakest area of his game I'll grant, but he also knows when and how to throw the ball, so it's really a minor thing.

I was flabbergasted by that save to his right that plenty of 'keeper's wouldn't have got to, let alone held. He seems to read strikers well and has good positioning (mostly), so doesn't seem to have to reach at full stretch for as many saves as perhaps Fed might.

1445 posts