On a positive note - Uche Ikpeazu

260 posts
LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: On a positive note - Uche Ikpeazu

by LightwaterRoyal » 25 Apr 2013 12:27

I dont think we should do it. It would just make the gap between teams like us and the big boys even bigger.

Was just pointing out that its the way they do it in Spain and look at how that has benefited the national side.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Apr 2013 12:35

Toon Toon Blue army The thing with Uche is he has the physical presence of a very big and strong fully grown adult. He relies a lot on his athletic ability and dominates defenders in the U18 league, the amount of central defenders that have literally been bullied by him in the U18s league this year is a little embarrassing (remember some of them are 16). He obviously has an eye for goal too.

However, when he comes up against more experienced defenders who know how to deal with a player like him, he can get found out and be pretty ineffective. He has had numerous games for the U21s this year and done very little.

That being said I think he could become a very good striker one day with the right development. Although I know a few people who don't think he'll make a career beyond League 1/2, I hope he proves them wrong.

No doubt you've seen a lot more of him than me so I'll bow to you on that, but if he is stand out at under 18 with athleticism and dominating defenders, that's a hell of a good foundation to make the step up yeah?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 25 Apr 2013 12:56

Depends if that is all his game is.

From what i've seen he's not the best footballer ...

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Apr 2013 20:03

Royalwaster
Who Moved The Goalposts?
winchester_royal It's an awful idea that would completely undermine the Football League and be the start of the end for football in this country.

That process started with the formation of the PL.

I think it might be an idea to have such teams playing in the conference - i.e. outside the football league. It would push up the standard in the conference (although it's already improved a lot in recent years) and give players the chance to play in teams for a whole season. It would make the conference a bit of a weird league though - to have teams playing in it who cannot be promoted ...

I would rather we had our youth players on loan in League 1 for 3 or 6 months than playing every week in the Conference.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 27 Apr 2013 11:28

Watching him here against Man Utd under-18s.

What an impressive player he is.

Divvy

by Divvy » 27 Apr 2013 11:32

LoyalRoyalFan Watching him here against Man Utd under-18s.

What an impressive player he is.

Adkins has watched his last two games and he's impressed in both. I think he could push himself ahead of Samuel at this rate. Big summer ahead of him!

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 27 Apr 2013 11:36

AZ is there.

Fosu-Henry is very impressive as well. Good passing play.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Apr 2013 11:40

30 mins in and we've been by far the better side. Ikpeazu looks good, but I very much like the look of Tanner, Kuhl and Fosu.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 27 Apr 2013 11:41

Sounds like Brian Potter on the commentary.

:lol:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 27 Apr 2013 11:42

Where you guys watching? Lost signal on my stream

lolwut

by lolwut » 27 Apr 2013 11:44

Uche is a lump. A lump that looks quite good at soccer.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 27 Apr 2013 11:49

Norfolk Royal
Toon Toon Blue army The thing with Uche is he has the physical presence of a very big and strong fully grown adult. He relies a lot on his athletic ability and dominates defenders in the U18 league, the amount of central defenders that have literally been bullied by him in the U18s league this year is a little embarrassing (remember some of them are 16). He obviously has an eye for goal too.

However, when he comes up against more experienced defenders who know how to deal with a player like him, he can get found out and be pretty ineffective. He has had numerous games for the U21s this year and done very little.

That being said I think he could become a very good striker one day with the right development. Although I know a few people who don't think he'll make a career beyond League 1/2, I hope he proves them wrong.

No doubt you've seen a lot more of him than me so I'll bow to you on that, but if he is stand out at under 18 with athleticism and dominating defenders, that's a hell of a good foundation to make the step up yeah?

Yep I totally agree. Unfortunately football is a bit of a backward sport where athleticism, strength and power is undervalued. So young players who are very physical are often ignored by coaches because they dont 'look like footballers', rather than using their strength and power as an advantage and developing technical ability and awareness.

Generally speaking football tends to be 10-15 years behind with this sort of stuff in comparison to most sports. Although its difficult to draw comparisons, look at the amount of NFL players who are naturally quick, strong and powerful and don't actually learn the sport till they're 16, while at the same time continuing to improve their athletic ability.

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 27 Apr 2013 11:55

lolwut Uche is a lump. A lump that looks quite good at soccer.

This is the sort of attitude that frustrates me.

How is he a lump? He is 6ft 5, ripped, quite quick and very strong. Any other sport he would be praised for being an incredible athlete yet in football he is called a 'lump'. The same went for Manset.

Mark my words that in the next 10 years the physical make up of footballers will make a dramatic turn towards those like Uche when people appreciate the value of it. The skinny players who eat corn flakes for breakfast will fizzle out and we will see more athletes who can sprint fast, jump higher, change direction quicker and hold off their opponents for longer.. And no this won't mean a reduction in skill.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Apr 2013 11:56

winchester_royal Tanner's a good little player, if he progresses he'll be a Sig type.

Plus we have that young Icelandic guy coming in next season so inevitable comparisons sure to follow :)

Doesn't look as good at Free kicks as Sig judging by his effort a minute before half time.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 27 Apr 2013 11:56

Saw the last ten minutes, impressed with Kuhl as usual, never stands out but the heart beat of the team

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Apr 2013 12:01

ZacNaloen Where you guys watching? Lost signal on my stream

Bit the bullet and got MUTV for a month.

I like the way we play. Patient at times but also suitable pace, power and trickery on the break. The midfield trio of Kuhl, Tanner and Stacey are very adept with the ball at their feet, and all 3 look like good prospects. Fosu is still a touch naive, but certainly has something about him. Uche looked very dangerous first 25 but that injury seems to have set him back.

MUTV commentators waxing lyrical about some of our play, which is nice to hear.

Saw Andy Crosby in the touchline, not sure if NA is there.

lolwut

by lolwut » 27 Apr 2013 12:06

Toon Toon Blue army
lolwut Uche is a lump. A lump that looks quite good at soccer.

This is the sort of attitude that frustrates me.

How is he a lump? He is 6ft 5, ripped, quite quick and very strong. Any other sport he would be praised for being an incredible athlete yet in football he is called a 'lump'. The same went for Manset.

Mark my words that in the next 10 years the physical make up of footballers will make a dramatic turn towards those like Uche when people appreciate the value of it. The skinny players who eat corn flakes for breakfast will fizzle out and we will see more athletes who can sprint fast, jump higher, change direction quicker and hold off their opponents for longer.. And no this won't mean a reduction in skill.

He's an athletic lump.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 27 Apr 2013 12:28

These guys are really impressive on the ball, some great one two's general play gettings us to their box.

But it's Man U who have a great defensive record and finding this breakthrough is going to be tough.

Plus we aren't nearly as dangerous up front without Uche

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 27 Apr 2013 12:30

Get in!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Apr 2013 12:31

1-0 Hyam

260 posts