Player of the Season

313 posts

Who wins your vote for Player of the Season?

Federici
3%
Shorey
0%
Pearce
0%
Tabb
4%
Mariappa
23%
Pogrebnyak
0%
Leigertwood
3%
Le Fondre
20%
Hunt
1%
McAnuff
13%
McCleary
0%
Kebe
3%
Robson-Kanu
10%
Guthrie
1%
McCarthy
6%
Harte
No votes
Kelly
0%
Akpan
No votes
Gunnarsson
10%
Other
3%

Total votes: 333
P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Player of the Season

by P!ssed Off » 09 May 2013 23:37

St. Brynjar Fairly simple to see why those three have been nominated.
-McCarthy was unbelievable in the game where voting was opened
-The deadline was extended after the Fulham game and was highly publicised, and as HRK was MOTM lots of people would have been tempted to vote for him
-ALF is ridiculously popular with the younger fans, and probably deserves to be in the list because of January

The fickle have spoken.

In this thread we've seen posters describe Reading fans as "fickle", "minority of morons", "mongs", "idiots", "cockends".

It really is bewildering how seriously some of you lot are taking this POTS vote. Can't imagine how you lot contain yourselves during votes of some actual importance,
Presumably at the recent council elections you were all chucking rocks and shouting "W@nker!" at anyone suspected of voting a different way to you.

Another fan might not share your opinion of who the best player was this season. oxf*rd get over it!

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 10 May 2013 00:19

P!ssed Off
-The deadline was extended after the Fulham game and was highly publicised, and as HRK was MOTM lots of people would have been tempted to vote for him
-ALF is ridiculously popular with the younger fans, and probably deserves to be in the list because of January

The fickle have spoken.

In this thread we've seen posters describe Reading fans as "fickle", "minority of morons", "mongs", "idiots", "cockends".

It really is bewildering how seriously some of you lot are taking this POTS vote. Can't imagine how you lot contain yourselves during votes of some actual importance,
Presumably at the recent council elections you were all chucking rocks and shouting "W@nker!" at anyone suspected of voting a different way to you.

Another fan might not share your opinion of who the best player was this season. oxf*rd get over it!

Voting for players who have recently played well as opposed to players who have played consistently (albeit very few of them have) is a fickle way of voting. If the performances had arranged themselves in a different order then any of Shorey, Federici, Tabb, Roberts, Hunt, Guthrie, Morrison or even Pearce would have been nominated.

As a major poll with relevance to our club & season, many of us would like to see some of the playing staff rewarded for their hard work, by a show of appreciation from the fans. Players like Jobi McAnuff and Adrian Mariappa who, whilst not being consistent, have worked tirelessly to try and keep us up. It's natural that when the players we want to see rewarded we express a different view, and express disappointment at the fickle nature of the outcome.

Any reason you're acting like a thirteen year old girl?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 May 2013 00:57

St. Brynjar
P!ssed Off

The fickle have spoken.

Voting for players who have recently played well as opposed to players who have played consistently (albeit very few of them have) is a fickle way of voting. If the performances had arranged themselves in a different order then any of Shorey, Federici, Tabb, Roberts, Hunt, Guthrie, Morrison or even Pearce would have been nominated.

As a major poll with relevance to our club & season, many of us would like to see some of the playing staff rewarded for their hard work, by a show of appreciation from the fans. Players like Jobi McAnuff and Adrian Mariappa who, whilst not being consistent, have worked tirelessly to try and keep us up. It's natural that when the players we want to see rewarded we express a different view, and express disappointment at the fickle nature of the outcome.

First of all I'm not convinced that any of the players should be 'rewarded', it's been a terrible season and I don't think anyone has been particularly good, that's why I didn't bother voting. If I had voted, I probably would have voted for HRK or Tabb, if possible. I may have wanted to see Tabb rewarded, but shouting insults at people who didn't for Tabb would not be my natural reaction.

Secondly, I disagree with this tendency of many on this board to label fans whose opinions they disagree with as 'fickle', 'mongs', 'plastic' "thirteen year old girl" etc.
Shouting bland, meaningless insults at people because you disagree with their opinion is pretty immature.
It was a free vote for fans to vote for whoever they wanted, who are you to write off people's votes as "fickle"?
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 10 May 2013 01:04, edited 1 time in total.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 10 May 2013 01:03

P!ssed Off
St. Brynjar
P!ssed Off

First of all I'm not convinced that any of the players should be 'rewarded', it's been a terrible season and I don't think anyone has been particularly good, that's why I didn't bother voting. If I had voted, I probably would have voted for HRK or Tabb, if possible. I may have wanted to see Tabb rewarded, but shouting insults at people who didn't for Tabb would not be my natural reaction.

Secondly, I disagree with this tendency of many on this board to label fans whose opinions they disagree with as 'fickle', 'mongs', 'plastic' etc.
Shouting bland, meaningless insults at people because you disagree with their opinion is pretty immature.
It was a free vote for fans to vote for whoever they wanted, who are you to write off people's votes as "fickle"?

Players playing well now & when voting opened = McCarthy & HRK.
Their good runs coincided with voting for POTS.
People who largely take this into account rather than the whole season effort (where players such as Tabb like you rightly single out have had good seasons) can justifiably be labelled as fickle. This may be due to a lot of younger people voting, which is fine. However a large amount of this board disagree with the nominees and are therefore discussing it. I haven't called anyone a mong or a plastic so I don't see why you're singling me out.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 May 2013 01:19

St. Brynjar Players playing well now & when voting opened = McCarthy & HRK.
People who largely take this into account rather than the whole season effort (where players such as Tabb like you rightly single out have had good seasons) can justifiably be labelled as fickle. This may be due to a lot of younger people voting, which is fine. However a large amount of this board disagree with the nominees and are therefore discussing it. I haven't called anyone a mong or a plastic so I don't see why you're singling me out.

Your refusal, along with many others on here, to be respectful of other fans opinions just annoys me is all.
I maintain that any fan should be able to vote however they like without being labelled as fickle or being patronisingly referred to as a child.
You can attempt to explain why HRK, ALF and McCArthy topped the vote without disregarding people's votes as "fickle".

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 May 2013 11:38

P!ssed Off

The fickle have spoken.

w@nker!

etc

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 May 2013 11:43

P!ssed Off
St. Brynjar Players playing well now & when voting opened = McCarthy & HRK.

Your refusal, along with many others on here, to be respectful of other fans opinions just annoys me is all.
I maintain that any fan should be able to vote however they like without being labelled as fickle or being patronisingly referred to as a child.
You can attempt to explain why HRK, ALF and McCArthy topped the vote without disregarding people's votes as "fickle".

LOL!
i dont have to respect you. i dont know you.
feel free to disrespect me back if you like. i really dont mind.
its not like ive attacked your gran or anything.
i just used some pretty tame and silly insults.
.........but in a mood of reconciliation, what i can do is tone them down slightly from morons, and cockends, to gay lords and knuckleheads

and i think hes simply saying its player of the season. ie the player who played best across that season, so to vote on other criteria means the voting is a fickle business,

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 May 2013 12:06

Agreed, voting someone who's made about 11 starts in a 40+ game season as PotS shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what you're voting for. As does voting for someone just because they've had a couple of very good performances recently and not done a great deal else.

ALF I can at least understand, as a match winner, top goalscorer and he's made plenty of appearances, if not that many starts. McCarthy is a shoe in for young player of the season. HRK for most improved player of the season. But player of the season? Do me a favour.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 May 2013 13:00

What a bizarre situation, but perhaps not an unpredictable one.

I thought McAnuff would be quite an easy winner this year but I guess the people that vote aren't the people that generally appreciate what goes on on the pitch.

I read further up the thread that the club extended the voting. If that's the case then I wonder if the number of votes is exceptionally low and so a bit of a freakish short list/winner is the result.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 May 2013 13:43

Ian Royal Agreed, voting someone who's made about 11 starts in a 40+ game season as PotS shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what you're voting for. As does voting for someone just because they've had a couple of very good performances recently and not done a great deal else.

ALF I can at least understand, as a match winner, top goalscorer and he's made plenty of appearances, if not that many starts. McCarthy is a shoe in for young player of the season. HRK for most improved player of the season. But player of the season? Do me a favour.

Firstly if you're including the cups in POTS (you mention a 40+ game season) then for ALF, HRK and McCarthy it's 14, 15 and 12 starts respectively.

But what is the cutoff point in terms of league starts anyway? If it is 20 league starts, then the shortlist is Federici, Leigertwood, Mariappa, McAnuff and Pogrebnyak.
Out of these 5 I'd personally say Mariappa has been the best this season, but it also seems perfectly reasonable that a fan voting would decide that none of these players deserve player of the season. If you've made an active choice to not vote for any of the players who have played pretty regularly then I don't think this choice can be described as a lack of understanding or fickle.

A lot of you guys just seem to think people are too stupid to realise that McAnuff has started 3 times as many league games as HRK. If I had voted, I probably would have voted for HRK; I'm well aware that he hasn't started that many games but I don't think anybody that has started more deserves POTS.

In the end I didn't vote because I don't think any of them particularly deserve POTS. After this season, the players need a slap in the face, not a trophy.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 10 May 2013 13:59

To add to pissed off's comments, I suppose you have to consider the way in which voting is probably made. I guess many who voted will have collected a voting card at a match and during half-time made an instinctive decision as to who to go for. I think to some extent it will always be dictated by recency - I can't imagine too many supporters looking through their programme and thinking 'ok so we got a draw against Newcastle in September - who played well that day?' A lot of supporters just won't really remember that far back.

Presumably you also have to consider the number of matches those voting have actually watched. Due to be being away at uni this year, I've seen a fairly limited number of matches so it's hard for me to judge players on consistency as I haven't consistently seen them play!

Personally I'm at least excited by all three of the players and think they've been bright sparks this season - it's not as if the top 3 are Cummings, Hunt and Gorkss. I think all 3 have probably overachieved/done better than expected - certainly HRK and McCarthy. How many would have expected Robson-Kanu to be our 2nd top goalscorer in the league this season? McCarthy has forced his way into the first team and will surely start next season as number 1 if he's still here. And Le Fondre's our top goalscorer despite spending most of his time on the bench and has broken a Premier League record. I think all 3 can at least be pretty chuffed with their efforts. I do think McAnuff's been unlucky to miss out though. I suppose I'd have expected the top 3 to be Mariappa, Le Fondre and possibly McAnuff although he's quite clearly not that popular with a number of supporters.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 May 2013 14:13

I voted Jobi, but I don't think voting for Alf is 'fickle'. It may have only been 11 games, but in terms of our season, those contributions were incredibly important - so yeah, I think you can consider Le Fondre as somebody who had the most impact. Likewise McCarthy - I think some of his performances were key to our albeit failed attempt at survival.

HRK? No. Good player, but POS? F/ck off.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 10 May 2013 15:02

Exactly this. How many times do you see an MOM awarded to the goalscorer who did nothing else in the game? Despite all the leg work in the game by others, his is considered the most important influence on the game even if he's just tapped in a rebound off the keeper. Extending that across the season, it has to be ALF because virtually all of his goals garnered us a good proportion of the points we have taken this season, even if it proved futile in the end.

ALF
McC
HRK

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 May 2013 15:13

no no no

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 10 May 2013 15:29

Soz, m8, dem's the choices...

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 May 2013 15:30

well, i must declare, this just isnt on

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 10 May 2013 16:29

St. Brynjar
P!ssed Off

The fickle have spoken.

St Brynjar - noble speech there & I agree but you openly admitted voting for Bryn earlier on in the thread!! Make your mind up :lol: :lol:

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 10 May 2013 16:37

MmmMonsterMunch
St. Brynjar
P!ssed Off

St Brynjar - noble speech there & I agree but you openly admitted voting for Bryn earlier on in the thread!! Make your mind up :lol: :lol:

Bryn's done the least wrong of the entire squad all season! But he doesn't deserve it in the way Mapps or McAnuff do in terms of effort. Voted for him in the absence of a standout player and as you can tell from my username, he's my all time favourite player. Well along with Kebe.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 May 2013 17:09

HAHAHAHA people are voting for Gunnarsson LOOL

I'd love to go on holiday with these people.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 10 May 2013 17:23

Extended-Phenotype HAHAHAHA people are voting for Gunnarsson LOOL

I'd love to go on holiday with these people.

See you in Italy in August then :wink:

313 posts