BFTG - Reading v just a sh*t Man United

121 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Reading v just a sh*t Man United

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 17:02

WestRoyal
melonhead
lolwut Hey Mel H, I think you're being a little harsh to blackman giving him a 5 and ALF a 6.

Alf did very little. ran a lot but barely touched the ball.
Blackman played the best pass of the match, a diagonal from the right to the left. It was truly scrumptious.

He also seemed to have more confidence on the ball than in past games.

The thing I found a little frustrating is off the ball runs into cul-de-sacs which seemed to happen quite a bit last night.

Much improved tho, the performance was highly encouraging.
Looking forward to next season.

perhaps you are right.

i scored based purely on being impressed with ALFs work rate energy and movement when he came on, while i didnt really remember blackman doing much apart from expertly winning a corner

i shall change his mark to the same as ALFs

LOL this is what im talking about- favouritsm
but I like Blackman!

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 15 May 2013 17:14

melonhead
WestRoyal
melonhead :| Yeah.like I said he probably suffered in the ratings precisely because everytime he did the hard part he failed to produce the important part,thus stands out more to me.just like I already said in the post you've quoted.

Which tells me he was an influence
So now hi-light me on Mcanuffs end product and why he got an 8. Im sure its not just for tracking back?
I hate hearing the abuse Mcanuff gets on here truly unjustified most of the time but ratings have to be given on performances not cus you feel sorry for them

tbf I thought mcleary and hrk played on the wings with Jobi playing in the middle more.so they were doing different jobs. Hence why mclearys end product was important, and why work rate and tracking back was important to jobi. and there is no rule stating what ratings are based on.hence why different people score differently.

LOL!

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 15 May 2013 17:19

i scored based purely on being impressed with ALFs work rate energy and movement when he came on, while i didnt really remember blackman doing much apart from expertly winning a corner

[/quote]

LOL this is what im talking about- favouritsm[/quote] but I like Blackman![/quote]

Yes I figured that melonhead and that's my very point i'm making; hence wanting to up his score despite saying you don't remember him doing much apart from winning a corner'.

So you inflated jm's score because you were still smarting on the past abuse he got and you are increasing blackman's score because someone told you he made a great pass(which he did) which you don't remember? I have to laugh

No one bar mcarthy gets above a 7

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 17:39

:D :D :D context is always important when scoring players after a game tbf.

#

surely if i was displaying favouritism towards blackman id have just given him a 9 to start off with, not the 5 he got.
plus i didnt really go back and change his score.

guthrie gets judges more harshly cos hes supposed to be better than the others, not just as bad.
mcleary gets marked down as his end product was poor, despite looking world class taking it past his FB
jobi gets marked up cos he deserves it, and i love him, the poor little lamb

dont see anything wrong with that :D

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 May 2013 17:41

Mccarthy-9
Gunter-7
Maps-6
Morro-6
Kelly-5
Gmac-7
HRK-5
Mcanuff-7
Jem-7
Guthrie-6
Pog-5

Subs
Alf-5
Blackman-7

Don't really know why ALF won POTS. I would have chosen Marriapa or Mcanuff TBH

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 15 May 2013 17:54

melonhead :D :D :D context is always important when scoring players after a game tbf.

#

surely if i was displaying favouritism towards blackman id have just given him a 9 to start off with, not the 5 he got.

guthrie gets judges more harshly cos hes supposed to be better than the others, not just as bad.
mcleary gets marked down as his end product was poor, despite looking world class taking it past his FB

you'd look very silly if you gave him a 9 and I don't think your silly
Its the fact that someone told you he made a good pass and you want to up his score, it doesn't bother me in the slightest but I thought i'd point it out)
I know you didn't really change his score.

Just ready your justifications

fair point
Guthrie, I think he is a good player but there is a reason they let him go to us on a free.
For eg. we all had high expectations for pog but the man who was playing in league two(ALF), two seasons ago has outshone him hands down in half the game time.
Your reason for scoring Mcanuff an 8 is a little laughable but at least your honest

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 15 May 2013 18:02

WestRoyal
melonhead [quote="WestRoyal"

yeah, he did well on the ball, like i said had the beating of his full backevery time, but we didnt see a decent cross or key pass from him and only one half decent shot.

i gave mcanuff an 8 cos i thought he was one of our best players

opinions on player performance are subjective. different people think different things.
clearly

They certainly do, but I do wonder what games people watch, further up the thread someone said 'McCleary - 6 - Bit greedy, would have liked to have seen him take on his man a bit more.

I stand by that, other than the one time he nutmegged Maicon he looked to come inside every time.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 15 May 2013 18:06

St. Brynjar I stand by that, other than the one time he nutmegged Maicon he looked to come inside every time.

We had 3 wingers on the pitch, but for the main our crossing was awful. Only time McCleary and HRK looked good was when they cut inside.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 15 May 2013 18:15

St. Brynjar
WestRoyal
melonhead [quote="WestRoyal"

yeah, he did well on the ball, like i said had the beating of his full backevery time, but we didnt see a decent cross or key pass from him and only one half decent shot.

i gave mcanuff an 8 cos i thought he was one of our best players

opinions on player performance are subjective. different people think different things.
clearly

They certainly do, but I do wonder what games people watch, further up the thread someone said 'McCleary - 6 - Bit greedy, would have liked to have seen him take on his man a bit more.

I stand by that, other than the one time he nutmegged Maicon he looked to come inside every time.

welldone

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 15 May 2013 19:40

Man City were something else -particularly in 1st Half-yet if Kelly had not been such a plonker we might have nicked something late on.

McCarthy 8: Bad start with that 1st kick out-but outstanding thereafter

Gunter 6: Usual great effort but his passing was too often atrocious .

Kelly 5: Bad mistake-offered little going forward but no left back.

Morrison 6: He was OK

Marriapa 7: Started badly but got better and better as the game went on.
Guthrie 8: Our best player at least he can pass.
Karacan 7 : proved again he is comfortable with the ball under the new manager.
Mc Anuff 5: Awful -I have given him some credit this season but he just gave up last night.
McCleery 7: Did OK could be very good in the Chumpionship next season.
Kanu 5: Pretty poor -looked slow and cumbersome
Pog 5 : Ditto

Blackman 7 : Showed some potential
Alf 5 : Without a reasonable service he looks very ineffectual.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 15 May 2013 19:43

URZZZZ Mccarthy-9
Gunter-7
Maps-6
Morro-6
Kelly-5
Gmac-7
HRK-5
Mcanuff-7
Jem-7
Guthrie-6
Pog-5

Subs
Alf-5
Blackman-7

Don't really know why ALF won POTS. I would have chosen Marriapa or Mcanuff TBH

Did you go last night ? How can you give Guthrie a 6 and McAnuff a 7 !

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 May 2013 19:51

I thought Mcanuff was alright. Guthrie did some great passes but was also quite sloppy numerous times in possession

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 15 May 2013 20:25

Hoop Blah
melonhead
Hoop Blah I may have missed them, or may have consigned them to unretrievable memory as insignificant moments, but that's why I'm asking you for help to picture his gluttony of errors.

Out of interest, how perfect a performance is he going to have to make for you to accept that he wasn't just ok or was better than his usual of decent and poor?

It seems to me you'll only accept perfection from Guthrie.

lol.

ive accepted his decentness, his poorness, and his averageness tbf.
its you thats having trouble.

i said he played well. i gave him a 7 out of ten. he was always available and looking for the ball, cycled it around nicely, but also frustratingly gave the ball away in very noticeable situations on numerous occasions.

compared to 'he was brilliant, he always is, and i will not accept that he did anything wrong at all.'
well, youve got a bloody cheek young man, i dont mind telling you.

Those numerous occassions in very noticable situations don't seem to add up to much though.

I'm perfectly happy to accept that he doesn't make mistakes but you're the one that seems to have an issue giving credit where it's due.

You may well have given him a 7, and some slight praise, but at the same time you coated that with some unfair criticism whilst also giving McAnuff and Karacan 8's, the former who struggled to have any impact on the game.

My point is that saying that Guthrie gave the ball away too often is just far too harsh when he was the man on the ball by far the most. You also criticised his set pieces when they were, in the main, pretty good and obviously focusing on getting Morrison in on the far post. The fact is we only had 4 corners and 7 free kicks, the majority of which were in our own half IIRC.

If I could just point out that none of our corners were in our own half.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 15 May 2013 20:30

melonhead
lolwut Hey Mel H, I think you're being a little harsh to blackman giving him a 5 and ALF a 6.

Alf did very little. ran a lot but barely touched the ball.
Blackman played the best pass of the match, a diagonal from the right to the left. It was truly scrumptious.

He also seemed to have more confidence on the ball than in past games.

The thing I found a little frustrating is off the ball runs into cul-de-sacs which seemed to happen quite a bit last night.

Much improved tho, the performance was highly encouraging.
Looking forward to next season.

perhaps you are right.

Definitely not a fan of Blackman, but tbf to him, as someone else has said, he pulled off pass of the game, from the half way line east stand to almost the corner West, straight to mccleary; he also muscled Yaya Toure off the ball, not something you see every day

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 20:39

URZZZZ I thought Mcanuff was alright. Guthrie did some great passes but was also quite sloppy numerous times in possession

You can't say that without giving precise examples.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 20:41

WestRoyal
melonhead :D :D :D context is always important when scoring players after a game tbf.

#

you'd look very silly if you gave him a 9 and I don't think your silly
Its the fact that someone told you he made a good pass and you want to up his score, it doesn't bother me in the slightest but I thought i'd point it out)
I know you didn't really change his score.

Just ready your justifications

fair point
Guthrie, I think he is a good player but there is a reason they let him go to us on a free.
For eg. we all had high expectations for pog but the man who was playing in league two(ALF), two seasons ago has outshone him hands down in half the game time.
Your reason for scoring Mcanuff an 8 is a little laughable but at least your honest
well.you've been very fair about it all. It would seem petty and crass to carry on arguing with you.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 May 2013 23:22

Platypuss
Wycombe Royal
Platypuss TBF, the blind pass back to the centre half is every bit as annoying as the blind punt over the shoulder.

No it isn't.

When there are better forward pass options it certainly is. Pace Rodgers

Wycombe Royal Well obviously, but that wasn't part of your comment. You only gave two options - blind pass back or a blind punt over the shoulder.

Not enough :| in the world.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 May 2013 23:38

Schards#2
TBM
soggy biscuit Guthrie did well again at doing that dynamic looking thing while actually making a 5 yards sideways pass

Did you notice Yaya Toure, all he did last night was get the ball from the centre backs and pass it 5 yards to Silva - people rave about him.........

Guthrie is our only player who looks entirely comfortable receiving the ball whilst he is being marked, he has confidence that his ball control will be good enough to keep possession and play it on. And 9 times out of 10, it is.

Agree with this. He's not worried about someone closing him down, he just turns until he finds some space and a pass to make. Most of the rest of our team just off load.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 May 2013 09:35

Platypuss
Platypuss
Wycombe Royal No it isn't.

When there are better forward pass options it certainly is. Pace Rodgers

Wycombe Royal Well obviously, but that wasn't part of your comment. You only gave two options - blind pass back or a blind punt over the shoulder.

Not enough :| in the world.

Are you just playing dumb? Which part of "it wasn't part of your original comment" do you not understand? Or was I was supposed to see into your mind and predict what you would type next.

Now where's that idiot smilie..... :roll:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 May 2013 10:42

The apologies are all mine -I made the mistake of assuming you were intelligent enough to grasp the not-so implicit underlying point regarding blind passes per se and wouldn't need it spelling out.

Sorry, won't happen again.

121 posts