Player of the Season

313 posts

Who wins your vote for Player of the Season?

Federici
3%
Shorey
0%
Pearce
0%
Tabb
4%
Mariappa
23%
Pogrebnyak
0%
Leigertwood
3%
Le Fondre
20%
Hunt
1%
McAnuff
13%
McCleary
0%
Kebe
3%
Robson-Kanu
10%
Guthrie
1%
McCarthy
6%
Harte
No votes
Kelly
0%
Akpan
No votes
Gunnarsson
10%
Other
3%

Total votes: 333
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Player of the Season

by Maguire » 15 May 2013 00:29

Right, so our POTS has been dogshit pretty much every time he's started a game? Brilliant.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 10:43

:D

agreed.

our poll at least makes some sort of sense

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 15 May 2013 18:41

P!ssed Off
RoyallyFcuked Le Fondre deserves to win it. Mariappa has been good but at times he has made mistakes too. HRK definitely in top 3. McCarthy would have almost certainly won it, had he played the whole season. Anyone saying McAnuff for player of the season, hahaha are you having a fcuking laugh?

You'd agree with them if you weren't such a brainless moron. IDIOT!
:wink:

Hahaha :wink:

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 15 May 2013 18:46

MmmMonsterMunch
RoyallyFcuked Le Fondre deserves to win it. Mariappa has been good but at times he has made mistakes too. HRK definitely in top 3. McCarthy would have almost certainly won it, had he played the whole season. Anyone saying McAnuff for player of the season, hahaha are you having a fcuking laugh?

Most people who understand football disagree with you. Travesty he wasn't even in the top 4. Mind you last year's vote didn't even feature Fed in the top 3 IIRC & he was immense so I'm not that surprised.

LOL. The real travesty is the fact that some of our fans are actually suggesting McAnuff was our player of the season :| I really do find that unbelievable, sorry but it is clearly you that doesn't understand football. Can you or anyone name some reasons as to why you think Jobi McAnuff should have been our player of the season please because I would love to hear them???

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 15 May 2013 19:07

RoyallyFcuked
MmmMonsterMunch

Most people who understand football disagree with you. Travesty he wasn't even in the top 4. Mind you last year's vote didn't even feature Fed in the top 3 IIRC & he was immense so I'm not that surprised.

LOL. The real travesty is the fact that some of our fans are actually suggesting McAnuff was our player of the season :| I really do find that unbelievable, sorry but it is clearly you that doesn't understand football. Can you or anyone name some reasons as to why you think Jobi McAnuff should have been our player of the season please because I would love to hear them???

1. He Has worked his socks off all season
2. He has played every game this season
3. He has 8 assists, only second to McCleary
4. He has been a very good captain

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 May 2013 20:26

There are loads of reasons why its Jobi.

1) Our best player on the ball this season
2) Plays wherever he is asked across the midfield
3) Keeps going until there's not a breath left in him
4) Tracking back countless times to cover LB
5) Most assists of the team
6) Speaks well & is a good model pro
7) Has played every game
'8) Having to mop up for other midfielders in our team who don't have the required range of passing to suit the PL

Why are people so blind as to what he offers the team? I really cannot fathom why he gets such dogs abuse. It really irritates me actually. He is the club captain & would bleed for that shirt & does not deserve to be treated so poorly.

Add to the fact he is without question our most consistent player since Coppell left. (If you argue that point then I can only assume you are actually Stevie Wonder).

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 20:34

Yeah!

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 15 May 2013 21:00

Unbelievable Jeff

Wow.

1. He has worked hard in SOME, maybe most games, but in a few games I have noticed he has given up along with the other players, sometimes maybe even before. This should never happen, he should be telling the players to pick their heads up and keep at it. He never does. And ok he usually does track back now but certainly doesn't always do so, even when he should be.

2. How is that a reason to give him Player of the season? Its the opposite if anything. He has started every game because he is the captain (and one of McDermott's faves) not because of anything else.

3. I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure he has only 6 assists, all in the Premier League? This doesn't tell the whole story really though does it? Of those assists, 3 were simple passes, and 3 were crosses. They might have been the only 3 decent crosses he produced all season. Nicky Shorey has 4 assists and has played less than half the amount of games. Hope Akpan provided 3 assists in his first 2 games, and no one is saying he deserves Player of the season. Mind you, he probably deserves it more than Jobi.

4. No he really hasn't, can't believe anyone would say that. In many ways, as the captain, isn't he more to blame than any other player for the position we are in? No leadership on the pitch, he doesn't talk to the players anymore than any of our other players do. Sorry but if we had a proper captain, I don't think we would have done quite as bad this season.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 15 May 2013 21:31

MmmMonsterMunch There are loads of reasons why its Jobi.

7) Has played every game
'8) Having to mop up for other midfielders in our team who don't have the required range of passing to suit the PL

Why are people so blind as to what he offers the team? I really cannot fathom why he gets such dogs abuse. It really irritates me actually. He is the club captain & would bleed for that shirt & does not deserve to be treated so poorly.

Add to the fact he is without question our most consistent player since Coppell left. (If you argue that point then I can only assume you are actually Stevie Wonder).

1. Seriously? His passing is often poor. His crossing is usually even worse. He can't tackle, and can't hold onto the ball. He doesn't (or can't) even beat players like he used to anymore. He has a little run at the defender before dawdling and/or turning and shielding the ball, and often losing it. He looks like he has no confidence in his own ability whatsoever, hardly inspiring to the rest of the team.

2. He is the captain, so he has to play where he is told. If he is failing on the wing, then we play him in the middle until that fails and he goes back to the wing. Undroppable because of McD, times are changing though.

3. He usually does. Not always though. At times he has given up with the rest of our players which, as the captain, he should never let happen.

4. He hasn't really tracked back much more or less than any of our other wingers. They all know in this league that they have to.

5. He has 6 assists in 37 PL games. 3 were simple passes, 3 were crosses. But his crossing has usually been poor, as has his passing. Nicky Shorey has 4 assists in 17 PL games, and Hope Akpan has 3 assists in 9 appearances. Both have a far better assists to games ratio than McAnuff, surely that means they deserve player of the season more than him? :lol: Oh, and he has also failed to score a single PL goal all season. Hope he gets it in our last game, as I fear he wont get another chance.

6. Sorry but that isnt a reason to give anyone a player of the season award. He is not the only Reading player that is a well spoken model pro. Many players in the history of football were well spoken model pros. But they never received a PotS award for it.

7. So surely he is more to blame for our performances than anyone else?

8. McAnuff does not have the range of passing to suit the PL. He is not a PL player, end of. I am struggling to think of any game this season where he has performed better than average. Newcastle at home maybe? 2 assists and a shot that hit the post in the last minute. Shame. He is picked because of the flashes of quality he can bring to change a game or create a chance, but he shows this so rarely these days I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had a new captain next season. In fact I reckon I've already seen signs that Adkins will get rid of Jobi in the summer. I might be wrong, but I think he wont be needed. What a shuddering thought for you and some others, do you think you will ever recover?

Why are people so blind as to what he offers the team (or rather, doesn't)? I really cannot fathom why some of you people love him so much. He can't do no wrong in your book. It really irritates me actually.

Our most consistent player since Coppell left? Well for a start he is pretty much the only player who has been here the whole time, but I agree, he has been consistently average or below for quite some time now.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 15 May 2013 21:55

RoyallyFcuked
Unbelievable Jeff

Wow.

1. He has worked hard in SOME, maybe most games, but in a few games I have noticed he has given up along with the other players, sometimes maybe even before. This should never happen, he should be telling the players to pick their heads up and keep at it. He never does. And ok he usually does track back now but certainly doesn't always do so, even when he should be.

2. How is that a reason to give him Player of the season? Its the opposite if anything. He has started every game because he is the captain (and one of McDermott's faves) not because of anything else.

3. I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure he has only 6 assists, all in the Premier League? This doesn't tell the whole story really though does it? Of those assists, 3 were simple passes, and 3 were crosses. They might have been the only 3 decent crosses he produced all season. Nicky Shorey has 4 assists and has played less than half the amount of games. Hope Akpan provided 3 assists in his first 2 games, and no one is saying he deserves Player of the season. Mind you, he probably deserves it more than Jobi.

4. No he really hasn't, can't believe anyone would say that. In many ways, as the captain, isn't he more to blame than any other player for the position we are in? No leadership on the pitch, he doesn't talk to the players anymore than any of our other players do. Sorry but if we had a proper captain, I don't think we would have done quite as bad this season.

Wow

Cut him some slack mate. Nobody has been standout this season and Jobi has been one of the better of the bad bunch

1. He has 8 assist not 6
2. How can playing more games have the opposite effect. Your saying Robson-Kanu who has started 11 games ( When Nominated ) has been overall a more influential player than Jobi, I don't. How can a player that has started 11 out of 36 or so games be the best player of the season?
3. I am not saying Jobi has bags of quality on the pitch but nobody can argue there are 3 players that deserve it more than him. Especially the 3 that were nominated

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 15 May 2013 22:25

I'm ambivalent about him. Good things this season:

-100% week in week out
-Puts it in out of hours with the community
-Model pro
-The game where he took the piss out of Rafael
-Lots of tasty assists
-Consistent around the 6/7 mark

Not so good this season:

-Goes invisible for vast swathes of the game
-Really poor decision making
-Once his head goes down he's gone from the game

I can see valid arguments either way tbh, not to sit on the fence at all.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 15 May 2013 22:26

RoyallyFcuked

7) Has played every game

1. Seriously? His passing is often poor. His crossing is usually even worse. He can't tackle, and can't hold onto the ball. He doesn't (or can't) even beat players like he used to anymore. He has a little run at the defender before dawdling and/or turning and shielding the ball, and often losing it. He looks like he has no confidence in his own ability whatsoever, hardly inspiring to the rest of the team.

2. He is the captain, so he has to play where he is told. If he is failing on the wing, then we play him in the middle until that fails and he goes back to the wing. Undroppable because of McD, times are changing though.

3. He usually does. Not always though. At times he has given up with the rest of our players which, as the captain, he should never let happen.

4. He hasn't really tracked back much more or less than any of our other wingers. They all know in this league that they have to.

5. He has 6 assists in 37 PL games. 3 were simple passes, 3 were crosses. But his crossing has usually been poor, as has his passing. Nicky Shorey has 4 assists in 17 PL games, and Hope Akpan has 3 assists in 9 appearances. Both have a far better assists to games ratio than McAnuff, surely that means they deserve player of the season more than him? :lol: Oh, and he has also failed to score a single PL goal all season. Hope he gets it in our last game, as I fear he wont get another chance.

6. Sorry but that isnt a reason to give anyone a player of the season award. He is not the only Reading player that is a well spoken model pro. Many players in the history of football were well spoken model pros. But they never received a PotS award for it.

8. McAnuff does not have the range of passing to suit the PL. He is not a PL player, end of. I am struggling to think of any game this season where he has performed better than average. Newcastle at home maybe? 2 assists and a shot that hit the post in the last minute. Shame. He is picked because of the flashes of quality he can bring to change a game or create a chance, but he shows this so rarely these days I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had a new captain next season. In fact I reckon I've already seen signs that Adkins will get rid of Jobi in the summer. I might be wrong, but I think he wont be needed. What a shuddering thought for you and some others, do you think you will ever recover?

Why are people so blind as to what he offers the team (or rather, doesn't)? I really cannot fathom why some of you people love him so much. He can't do no wrong in your book. It really irritates me actually.

Our most consistent player since Coppell left? Well for a start he is pretty much the only player who has been here the whole time, but I agree, he has been consistently average or below for quite some time now.

+1. Lock your door though, they're coming for you.

tbh if McAnuff was just one of our four wingers I wouldn't judge him as harshly. If Kebe, McCleary, HRK and McAnuff all finished on 23 starts this season then I'd say fair enough (assuming we played with 3 attackers for a part of the season). But no, McDermott decided that he deserved guaranteed first team football when he gave him the captaincy for no apparent reason. The main thing that McAnuff playing pretty much every minute this season showed me was not that he should get POTS, but that he really did not deserve his first team spot to be guaranteed.

Starts this season:
McAnuff: 37
Kebe: 16
HRK: 12
McCleary: 14

Injuries played a part, but I don't think McAnuff getting over double the starts of each of his position competitors was justified by his performances.
I don't think anybody in our squad deserved to start every single game this season; McDermott's persistence in starting McAnuff and Leigertwood every game regardless of their previous performance, whilst dropping others without hesitation, no doubt did not help team morale and was probably one of the things that cost us.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 May 2013 10:28

RoyallyFcuked
Unbelievable Jeff

Wow.

LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 May 2013 15:04

RoyallyFcuked

7) Has played every game

not reading all that

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 May 2013 15:07

McDermott's persistence in starting McAnuff

and adkins

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 16 May 2013 15:13

melonhead

and adkins

If you're quoting me then I said:
"McDermott's persistence in starting McAnuff and Leigertwood every game regardless of their previous performance, whilst dropping others without hesitation."

Try to quote accurately and not just cut things out of context to suit yourself. What are you a reporter?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 May 2013 15:24

P!ssed Off
melonhead

and adkins

If you're quoting me then I said:
"McDermott's persistence in starting McAnuff and Leigertwood every game regardless of their previous performance, whilst dropping others without hesitation."

Try to quote accurately and not just cut things out of context to suit yourself. What are you a reporter?
:|

im just saying adkins is yet to drop him. obviously he also thinks mcanuff worthy of his weekly place, and the captaincy at least for now.
and maybe. the rest of the sentence is irrelevant. unless youre saying that its only since adkins that mcanuff has been good enough to deserve that place, in which case its a bit off blaming the player when it would clearly all be down to brian in that case.
why does guthrie get more leeway in that respect than our captain, the one who captained the side to a most welcome and surprising promotion.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 16 May 2013 15:27

Jobi hasn't been great in every game he played, and he may have picked up more games than others on account of him being captain. Not much argument there.

And It's easy to see why ALF won. Goals are an easy contribution for the highlight generation to appreciate. And in a team that has done so poorly, no matter who you pick you are opening yourself up to criticism - everybody had their bad points.

It also stands to reason that players who featured the most are going to have done more shit to moan about.

That said, as others simply haven't contributed enough, haven't been as consistent or important to our game, I can't see how any player could seriously be considered more than McAnuff for player of the season, if you are both knowledgeable enough of the sport and impartial enough to make a fair decision.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 May 2013 15:33

It also stands to reason that players who featured the most are going to have done more shit to moan about.

by that rationale gunnarsson would have won the award for not having played at all, and is therefore totally unblemished
so im not sure it rationally follows as a way of judging POS....

but agreed. mcanuff. hes a good fellow. and these lot are beastly for saying otherwise

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 16 May 2013 15:57

melonhead
P!ssed Off If you're quoting me then I said:

:|

im just saying adkins is yet to drop him. obviously he also thinks mcanuff worthy of his weekly place, and the captaincy at least for now.
and maybe. the rest of the sentence is irrelevant. unless youre saying that its only since adkins that mcanuff has been good enough to deserve that place, in which case its a bit off blaming the player when it would clearly all be down to brian in that case.
why does guthrie get more leeway in that respect than our captain, the one who captained the side to a most welcome and surprising promotion.

Firstly, since Adkins has come in we've been playing 3 attacking midfielders. We've only really got 3 decent attackers fit atm (HRK, McAnuff and McCleary) so can't complain that he's started every game. Secondly, I also think he's been playing better the last 5 games or so.

Not sure why you mentioned Guthrie. If McDermott had started Guthrie every single game this season then I would say Guthrie would be undeserving of this based on his performances at the time, but McDermott didn't start him every game so it's irrelevant to my point.

I don't think any players can honestly say that their performances this season have been been good enough to warrant playing every single minute, or near enough, of the season. McDermott at one point or another dropped pretty much every other member of the squad, due to poor form or other reasons. Leigertwood and McAnuff, undeservingly in my opinion were given far more chances than any other member of the squad.

I also do not think that any Reading player, regardless of who won POTS, could really have had the cheek to stand up and say "I should have won". This year's POTS really made a mockery of all the POTS winners over the last 10 years at least, regardless who won it.
Any member of the squad who thinks that their performances this season have earned them the right to join the following list, is delusional:

1998–99 Phil Parkinson England Midfielder
1999–2000 Darren Caskey England Midfielder
2000–01 Martin Butler England Forward
2001–02 Graeme Murty Scotland Defender
2002–03 James Harper England Midfielder
2003–04 Graeme Murty Scotland Defender
2004–05 Dave Kitson England Forward
2005–06 Kevin Doyle Ireland Forward
2006–07 Ivar Ingimarsson Iceland Defender
2007–08 Stephen Hunt Ireland Midfielder
2008–09 Chris Armstrong England Defender
2009–10 Gylfi Sigurdsson Iceland Midfielder