McCarthy in the England Squad!

257 posts
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: McCarthy in the England Squad!

by maffff » 16 May 2013 14:55

P!ssed Off
Alexander Litvinenko If I was in his position I'd move on, and if I was his advisor I'd advise him to move on - and I don't mean that he'll be banging on the door to leave, but I don't expect him to turn down a big offer from a big club. I don't think any of us would, rationally, if we were given the choice.

Don't judge everyone by your own standards. If I was offered the chance to play for the team I support then I'd say no, but only because I'm too shit. if I was any good then I'd stay there for as long as oxf*rd possible, regardless of whether bigger clubs were interested.

Please go and google Steve Harper to try and gain some optimism.

I wonder if Stuart Taylor has any words of advice for Mr McCarthy

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 May 2013 14:56

Did we ever get to the bottom of what team McCarthy supports?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 May 2013 14:57

Fab. Great news. Hope his head isn't turned by the tossers in the squad.

This makes it no more likely a club will try to buy him. Slightly more likely he'll agitate for a move and adds a big old wedge to any fee we'll get for him if he does go.

Bloody hell. Two internationals in 10 years. They're like buses these england caps.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 16 May 2013 14:57

maffff
P!ssed Off
Alexander Litvinenko If I was in his position I'd move on, and if I was his advisor I'd advise him to move on - and I don't mean that he'll be banging on the door to leave, but I don't expect him to turn down a big offer from a big club. I don't think any of us would, rationally, if we were given the choice.

Don't judge everyone by your own standards. If I was offered the chance to play for the team I support then I'd say no, but only because I'm too shit. if I was any good then I'd stay there for as long as oxf*rd possible, regardless of whether bigger clubs were interested.

Please go and google Steve Harper to try and gain some optimism.

I wonder if Stuart Taylor has any words of advice for Mr McCarthy

Taylor left Arsenal at 24 for first team football, I've no idea whether Arsenal was the team he supported apparently he's from Romford so I doubt it, how is that relevant to McCarthy?
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 16 May 2013 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 16 May 2013 14:58

Ian Royal They're like buses these england caps.

He hasn't got one yet!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 16 May 2013 15:02

P!ssed Off
maffff I wonder if Stuart Taylor has any words of advice for Mr McCarthy

Taylor left Arsenal at 24 for first team football, I've no idea whether Arsenal was the team he supported apparently he's from Romford so I doubt it, how is that relevant to McCarthy?

Something to do with his experience of being at 'big clubs' with experienced goalkeepers for most of his career meaning that prior to Reading he had only made 30 league appearances for his home clubs over 15? seasons.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 16 May 2013 15:06

Ian Royal Fab. Great news. Hope his head isn't turned by the tossers in the squad.

This makes it no more likely a club will try to buy him. Slightly more likely he'll agitate for a move and adds a big old wedge to any fee we'll get for him if he does go.

Bloody hell. Two internationals in 10 years. They're like buses these england caps.

Liverpool and Newcastle are two of the main clubs rumoured to be interested.
Hopefully McCarthy chats with Rooney and Carroll and a) can't understand a word they say and b) comes away with the impression that everyone from Liverpool and Newcastle is a dumb pcunt.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 16 May 2013 15:09

maffff
P!ssed Off
maffff I wonder if Stuart Taylor has any words of advice for Mr McCarthy

Something to do with his experience of being at 'big clubs' with experienced goalkeepers for most of his career meaning that prior to Reading he had only made 30 league appearances for his home clubs over 15? seasons.

My bad, I thought you were Litvinenko's mate. Good point.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 May 2013 15:12

P!ssed Off
Alexander Litvinenko The reality is that if a player has decided he wants to leave then there's no way you can really keep them.

Of course, you can hold them to their contract - but you can't expect them to play, and so what you end up doing in practice is paying a player good money to see out their contract and then go for nothing, whilst also fermenting discontent amongst the whole dressing room.

Well that's not the reality though is it.
It didn't work when Tevez or Rooney tried to force a move; if they're not big enough to get their own way, then a player who's only played 12 Premier League games really doesn't have any power.

modrich too

for a year

probably thierry henry and fabregas for arsenal, both for an extra year

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 16 May 2013 15:16

Lets face it, being in the England squad doesn't make you a top player.

Congratulations to Alex McCarthy though, it is very exciting news for him and the club.

RoyaltyInMyBlood

by RoyaltyInMyBlood » 16 May 2013 15:24

Where better to improve as a keeper than at the club who conceeded the most shots on target of any premier league team ever!

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 16 May 2013 15:26

LoyalRoyalFan In the Evening Post today, Adkins said McCarthy isn't for sale at 'any price'.

What I like to hear!

Good to hear, but exactly what we expect to hear. Every player has a price. If someone comes in in the summer with a £8-10m bid then he will go, simple as that!

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 May 2013 15:33

SPARTA
LoyalRoyalFan In the Evening Post today, Adkins said McCarthy isn't for sale at 'any price'.

What I like to hear!

Good to hear, but exactly what we expect to hear. Every player has a price. If someone comes in in the summer with a £8-10m bid then he will go, simple as that!

We (allegedly) don't need to sell to balance the books under the current regime, he's young, extremely promising, and English. I think we would be looking at £10m+, personally.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 16 May 2013 15:35

genome
SPARTA

What I like to hear!

We (allegedly) don't need to sell to balance the books under the current regime, he's young, extremely promising, and English. I think we would be looking at £10m+, personally.

We might be, whether anyone else would is a different matter.

AkpansBFF

by AkpansBFF » 16 May 2013 15:57

Brilliant! But if he gets a chance and shine itll add to the interest list.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 May 2013 16:04

Norfolk Royal
genome
SPARTA

We might be, whether anyone else would is a different matter.

Then good for us. I don't think we need to accept a lower bid, unless McCarthy starts getting itchy feet. As long as he's happy here and we are under no pressure to sell, then it would take a huge offer IMO

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 16 May 2013 16:18

Hope he gets a game, or at least 45 mins against Brazil as I am going to that game (LOOK AT ME!!!!)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 May 2013 16:46

So Mccrappy is now McCwappy. Shows how poor the England goalkeeping options are.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 May 2013 16:49

Fail troll is fail

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 16 May 2013 16:51

Cannot believe this, wow.

Congratulations to you sir!

257 posts