The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

1445 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Gr8 Keeper Deb8

by Ian Royal » 17 May 2013 13:04

It mst be hard for sandman having painted himself into a corner and being unable to celebrate one of the biggest achievements for an rfc player internationally for a long time. And all because he wanted to be a wum.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 17 May 2013 13:34

Ideal
LoyalRoyalFan McCarthy - Called up by England, plaudits across the country. Most on here see sense.

Federici - Dropped, sitting on the bench, most of us realised he wasn't good enough ages ago.

/end of thread.

8)

THIS.

No, not this. Feds has proved himself to be good enough on a number of occassions, both in the Chump and the Prem. However, this year he has both dropped in form and confidence, and Alex Mac has looked the business. I would be more than happy with Feds to stay should Macca leave.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 17 May 2013 13:39

FTR, on 6th September 2012 I was saying this :

Alexander Litvinenko
Davezk I don't understand the hype behind McCarthy.

He is a far, far better keeper so young than Feds was at the same age. hH's as good a shot-stopper but his judgement and command of his box is, to me, far better. (Lest we forget, 4-5 years ago, when Federici was about the same age as McC is now, he had some calamitous games - e.g. away at WBA, home to Man Utd in the Cup, etc)

That suggests to me that if he gets the same games and experience that Feds gets (which he hasn't so far) that he can become much better than Feds.

Put another way, I don't think Federici will ever get better than he was last season. I think McCarthy has the potential to get much, much better than Federici will ever be. He's not there now, but he'll only get there if he plays and gets the chance to gain experience.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 17 May 2013 13:49

Likelihood of a cheeky bid from McDermott for Federici forcing us to play our hand either way?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 17 May 2013 13:52

maffff Likelihood of a cheeky bid from McDermott for Federici forcing us to play our hand either way?

Mikkel Andersen said not Yeah, yeah, yeah!

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 18 May 2013 21:41

What happens if we lose Feds and can't keep hold of McCarthy?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 18 May 2013 22:30

The club gets liquidated.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 18 May 2013 22:36

Taylor would have a heart attack

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 May 2013 22:54

In the unlikely event that we lose Feds AND McCarthy, then we are left with a mediocre OAP who has been happy picking up paychecks and not playing his entire career in Taylor (or is he only on a 1yr deal?) and more positively, we are left with a very promising young keeper in Mikel Anderson, he has stated he wants 1st team football and IMHO deserves the chance to play in the championship, that being said I'm not too sure happy I'd be for us to be the club to gamble and give it to him especially if we want to be serious contenders like N.A has indicated.

What keeper I want to see in goal for us next season, in order of preference.

McCarthy
Feds
Anderson
Literally anyone else
Taylor

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm quietly confident that Alex McCarthy will still be a reading player next season. After Adkins' openly stating his desire to win the championship outright and similarly ambitious sentiments shared by zingarevich it would be a massive statement of intent to turn down an offer (providing Alex wants to stay).

Not to mention all of the emphasis placed on "beeing able to keep our best players" from zingarevich and even SJM, it would be a unwise move to disapprove that theory at its first testing.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 18 May 2013 23:12

Nothing wrong with Taylor as a goalkeeper, he did fine when he came in. If we lose both Feds and McCarthy I'd expect us to bring in someone else, but he'd be an average goalie in that league.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 May 2013 23:33

St. Brynjar Nothing wrong with Taylor as a goalkeeper, he did fine when he came in. If we lose both Feds and McCarthy I'd expect us to bring in someone else, but he'd be an average goalie in that league.

If we want to be competing for automatic, we don't really have too much time for "average"

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 May 2013 23:44

I think Taylor is worth keeping. He's a more than adequate back up and is also happy to be backup.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 19 May 2013 10:43

From Despair To Where? I think Taylor is worth keeping. He's a more than adequate back up and is also happy to be backup.

He is more than happy picking up thousands of pounds a week for nothing, him and arshavin alike

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 May 2013 21:05

come on sandman, you know you want to.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 May 2013 21:32

All I will say is that if he wants to become the Keeper you all think he is going to be then he needs to sort that kicking out asap. The Spanish have shown that distribution and ability on the ball are required for a top keeper almost as much as shot stopping.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 May 2013 02:31

Quite frankly, imho, it is clear that McCarthy has to be first choice. Is there anyone out there who can honestly say that if Feds was English that he would have received a call up to the National squad? McCarthy is not only the future but the present as well.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 20 May 2013 06:31

Ideal
LoyalRoyalFan McCarthy - Called up by England, plaudits across the country. Most on here see sense.

Federici - Dropped, sitting on the bench, most of us realised he wasn't good enough ages ago.

/end of thread.

8)

THIS.

:roll: It would be difficult for Federici to get an England call-up, seeing as he's already capped for another country - something I don't actually believe McCarthy is yet? Do you really think he'd be getting plaudits across the country if he'd played like that against QPR instead of Liverpool, something tells me he wouldn't.

Personally I believe McCarthy's the better keeper but those arguments aren't exactly spot on.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 May 2013 07:56

Federici's brilliant form in 2011/12 played a significant part in the club's ultimate promotion.

I want McCarthy to be No 1 but if he goes and Federici stays, although it would be a little disappointing, it would have minimal impact on our chances of auto-promo next season.

Federici is a superb Championship 'keeper.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 20 May 2013 10:59

I think the "Who is the number one 'keeper" is decided now - if we want to keep McCarthy, then we'll have to make it clear to him that he's the first choice 'keeper.

Not sure how Federici will react to this - I can't see him being content to sit on the bench and "fight for his place" (i.e. hope Alex McC gets injured.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2013 12:18

Alexander Litvinenko I think the "Who is the number one 'keeper" is decided now - if we want to keep McCarthy, then we'll have to make it clear to him that he's the first choice 'keeper.

Not sure how Federici will react to this - I can't see him being content to sit on the bench and "fight for his place" (i.e. hope Alex McC gets injured.

We're basically crossing our fingers and hoping someone puts in a decent bid for Fed. Solves all of our goalkeeping issues. I could maybe see a promoted club, or perhaps Leeds giving it a go. Maybe a case where we need to get Hammond to relax his bargaining skills a bit so he doesn't scare people away.

1445 posts