McCarthy in the England Squad!

257 posts
YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

Re: McCarthy in the England Squad!

by YateleyRoyal » 20 May 2013 15:24

Changing topic slightly but the way the game is played nowadays suggests that big kicks upfield only works for the likes of Stoke/any team Carroll plays in. Was at the play off final yesterday and Brentford had a lot more success when Simon Moore started rolling/passing the ball out, instead of hoofing it. Having watched our highlights, passing it out from the back certainly should be the way to go.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 May 2013 16:07

It's a good thing that McDermott waited until after TSI were in place to let McCarthy properly come into the side. Despite showing potential for years. If it had happened under the Madejski era £££ signs would have come up immediately.

Come to think about it there does seem to have been a lot of hesitancy by McDermott to blood in our youth players, most of them Pearce, Karacan, Robson-Kanu, Sigurdsson and Church all had their league debuts before McD took over as well as trying Scott Davies. Rodgers did more with our youth teams in his short tenure than McDermott over 4 times as long. Was that through a lack of quality in the youth teams or ?

In 3 years and 4 months I can only really think of:

McCarthy - February 2011, due to injury to Feds. Remained backup.
Antonio - February 2011, remained backup. Left.
Samuel - December 2012 - appeared to be out of desperation more than anything.
Morrison - September 2012 (not really one of our youth players) - seemed to play as a big "f/ck you" to Pearce more than anything at first and was abysmal at first, but looking more promising as we go along.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 May 2013 16:21

yoof players that went on to actually perform and achieve were rewarded with more games. those that didnt, werent

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 May 2013 16:34

Were there any that maybe should have had a chance to perform that didn't get one is what I'm asking? Was he too cautious with looking to the youth team, as he brought in plenty of younger players from elsewhere that we developed.

But yes, he did continue the work of Rodgers by continuing with several that had already had debuts.

Although he did drop McCarthy on several occasions for Federici with no known reason why (in hindsight this may be a good thing, as it meant he didn't have the opportunity perform like he has recently and get sold seasons ago)

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 May 2013 16:41

keepers is different.
i can 100% understand the wish to stick with a tried an tested experienced keeper who had delivered time and again, over a relatively raw kid.
id have switched to mcarthy earlier, but can totally see why he didnt

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 20 May 2013 16:47

maffff It's a good thing that McDermott waited until after TSI were in place to let McCarthy properly come into the side. Despite showing potential for years. If it had happened under the Madejski era £££ signs would have come up immediately.

I think it was more about Health and Safety. He was worried someone would be hit by one of the toys that would come flying out of Federici's pram if he was ever dropped.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 20 May 2013 16:51

Brian also gave Ben Hamer a debut against Liverpool in the cup didn't he?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 May 2013 16:55

Alexander Litvinenko
maffff It's a good thing that McDermott waited until after TSI were in place to let McCarthy properly come into the side. Despite showing potential for years. If it had happened under the Madejski era £££ signs would have come up immediately.

I think it was more about Health and Safety. He was worried someone would be hit by one of the toys that would come flying out of Federici's pram if he was ever dropped.

You have no documented proof of anything. In fact Federici is widely acknowledged as being one of the best trainers at RFC. Please stop defaming Adam Federici's character.
Last edited by sandman on 20 May 2013 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 May 2013 16:59

LightwaterRoyal Brian also gave Ben Hamer a debut against Liverpool in the cup didn't he?

v. Liverpool when Federici got injured in the FA Cup? - again, it was enforced.

I guess he also played v. Torquay in the League Cup (the Rasiak Extra Time goal that brought the wall down) and Northampton League Cup when he gifted them both goals by dropping the ball then we went out on penalties.

I was only counting league games so I'll admit that was somewhat selective.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 20 May 2013 17:04

sandman
Alexander Litvinenko

You have no documented proof of anything. Please stop defaming Adam Federici's character. In fact Federici is widely acknowledged as being one of the best trainers at RFC.

WTF? :shock: :?: Are you for real?

When you have one player who's young and up and coming and another who is arrogant but has been around a while, and they're both of relativity equal standard, it's a no-brainer to take the path of least resistance and maintain the status-quo. The younger player needs to get appreciably better, or the older one needs to make a major blunder, before any manager will risk the fallout and proactive make a change.

The fact that Twitter-based toys did come plying out of the pram when he was dropped only reinforces my point.

As to "defamation" - I'd be happy to defend my view in any court in the land.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 May 2013 17:24

No he's n admitted wind up merchant who inexplicably keeps getting bites.

RoyalTank

by RoyalTank » 20 May 2013 17:28

Fedders has been a loyal servant of the club and I can understand why he got a bit frustrated when he was out of the team, as without him between the sticks last season we might not have been in the PL this season. Everyone is saying Pog wants to play for his national team so needs to be playing every week at a decent level, this is exactly the same with Fedders. He was on the verge of becoming an international goalie and a solid season in the prem would have guaranteed that and then, unfortunately for him, it was taken away.

However, I think most will agree that he should not have acted like he did because he was dropped due to poor form and poor form alone. No player should have automatic selection and Federci needs to understand that.

Obviously Amac should be first choice going into next season but to be honest I would have no issues if Alex did leave and Feds became number 1 once again. He has proven he can be one of the best keepers in the chump on a consistent basis; this is illustrated by the fact that he was very much in the run in for POTS last season.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 May 2013 17:32

Alexander Litvinenko
sandman
Alexander Litvinenko I think it was more about Health and Safety. He was worried someone would be hit by one of the toys that would come flying out of Federici's pram if he was ever dropped.

You have no documented proof of anything. Please stop defaming Adam Federici's character. In fact Federici is widely acknowledged as being one of the best trainers at RFC.

WTF? :shock: :?: Are you for real?

When you have one player who's young and up and coming and another who is arrogant but has been around a while, and they're both of relativity equal standard, it's a no-brainer to take the path of least resistance and maintain the status-quo. The younger player needs to get appreciably better, or the older one needs to make a major blunder, before any manager will risk the fallout and proactive make a change.

The fact that Twitter-based toys did come plying out of the pram when he was dropped only reinforces my point.

As to "defamation" - I'd be happy to defend my view in any court in the land.

Those tweets were not by him and he told Ade Williams that he was "mortified" by the tweets by his girlfriend and again you have no proof. You prefer McCarthy and that's your prerogative there is no need to spread vicious rumours about Adam Federici. Then again as someone who thinks McCarthy is "the best keeper you've seen at Reading or any other club" I will take your views on everything with a large pinch of salt from now on.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 20 May 2013 17:36

I think that response deserves a big fat

I think this is the first discourse I've ever had with you, and already I can see you're not worth wasting the words on.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 May 2013 17:48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJZvkii8yz8

Again please stop being childish and telling people made up stories you've heard from the bloke down the pub. Imagine if I started making things up about McCarthy. For example saying that his Diamond company was getting in the way of his football you'd jump on me for it.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 20 May 2013 17:52

Wow! The Reading FC publicity machine talking in glowing terms about a Reading player after they've been embarrassed by what has been published outside their control. That *IS* convincing evidence - I thank you!

By the way, if you're interested, I own the deeds to Tower Bridge and I can let you have them for a very reasonable price....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 May 2013 17:58

You spread rumours, presented them as fact and have now been called out for them. It's time you had the good grace to apologise and move on.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 20 May 2013 18:11

This thread is about McCarthy in the England squad, not about Federici.

However, I have NO IDEA how anyone can say Federici is arrogant. He left Australia and slept on teammates floors and earnt a month-to-month contract at this club, he's been one of the best players here for many seasons yet a few people hate him. I genuinely have no idea why. As far as I can see, we have two keepers who would be the best keeper in the league well be in next season - one will probably go (and I kind of hope it's Federici as McCarthy came through the youth set-up). However, I hope whoever leaves goes to a top division in Europe and plays very well; it's a testament to the club that we're in this position!

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 20 May 2013 18:21

sandman You spread rumours, presented them as fact and have now been called out for them. It's time you had the good grace to apologise and move on.

I have absolutely nothing to apologise for. Why on earth would I?

Just because you don''t like hearing something doesn't legitimise it being called a "rumour" - or is some kind of defence mechanism, akin to sticking your fingers in your ears and going "la, la, la"?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 May 2013 18:22

ZacNaloen No he's n admitted wind up merchant who inexplicably keeps getting bites.

257 posts