Jason Roberts has left Reading?

158 posts
Lacoste

Re: Jason Roberts has left Reading?

by Lacoste » 21 May 2013 12:41

Binfield Royal BBC RB are reporting this morning that he is definately staying for another year. Presume he's tweeted something.

IMHO, if he's fit, he is an asset to the team and MAY have done better than Pog in that role.

Please god no!

Reading West

by Reading West » 21 May 2013 12:47

RockheadRumpl Something racist, since deleted and reported by a moderator

I am aware that it was RockheadRumple who modified Ideal's post, what I am incredibly concerned is that this was posted and passed by without a second glance. I appreciate the banter that is on this forum, I have been on this forum for over 10 years I may not be a prolific poster but I am deeply offended by this. For a fellow poster to refer to a black footballer that plays for your club an "annoying n*gger" as banter deeply disturbs me. Is this forum packed with closet Racists that anything goes as long as it is in banter, or is there an assumption that all of the posters on this Forum are White so noone would mind if in banter a Black player who was instrumental in helping Reading get promoted last season was referred to as an annoying n*gger.

I appreciate many on this forum maybe annoyed on the media exposure Roberts is getting and the stance he is taking on racism. You who are annoyed are entitled to your views, but that is no excuse to slump to this low. I am a black poster on this forum, and I still remember the times where opposing fans have called me a n*gger on their way to Elm Park back in the day, and i assure you I didn't take it as banter. So I will not take as banter when a supposed fan refers to a player as a n*gger in banter or not.

What I am more concerned is that no-one has picked up on this post that happened 2 pages ago, isn't this something the moderators should be picking up on???? or as it is banter it doesn't matter, or is this a reflection that there is still an racial issue going on but as it is under the surface and was written as a joke that it doesn't matter.

I would like a response to this as I have enjoyed reading and taking part on this forum over the years, but if fellow posters feel it is banter to refer to a player as a n*gger then this is not a forum that I want to be part of anymore.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 May 2013 13:01

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 21 May 2013 13:12

I'm surprised the Mods have done precisely nothing about it. I have little doubt that Ideal meant what Rumple wrote, but either way there's no room for that anywhere .

If a player/pundit came out with something like that, football fans would be in uproar, but when a fan says it it seems to be fobbed us as 'jk'...

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 21 May 2013 13:13

royalZILLAAA ...... but when a fan says it it seems to be fobbed us as 'jk'...

Watch it!!!!!

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 21 May 2013 13:16

huh?

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 21 May 2013 13:36

Reading West wrote
Is this forum packed with closet Racists that anything goes as long as it is in banter

NO - only two posters are involved with this, so why the generalisation? - it is equally offensive
or is there an assumption that all of the posters on this Forum are White so noone would mind

NO - but a racist comment in itself as by definition it assumes that any group of whites only must immediately be racist and not also be offended.
One can only hope that is not what was meant.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 May 2013 13:43

Ideal is openly racist. A less likeable version of Alf Garnett.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 21 May 2013 13:51

Possibly a little misunderstanding. I was just posting what everyone immediately though Ideal had actually written. I'm not racist but he is, hence why I sought to mock him like that.

I apologise to Reading West and Jason Roberts for the offense caused.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 21 May 2013 13:51

The argument "I'm not racist, I was just using those words as banter" is not a justifiable defence in the eyes of the law.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 21 May 2013 13:52

Hence why I have apologised rather than defending myself. I'm not really being persecuted, am I?

You guys are weird.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 May 2013 13:52

I did wonder at the time whether the word 'nagger' had been very deliberately chosen (by Ideal) for its similarity to another, completely unacceptable word. I also wondered (I might have been wrong) whether that deliberate act was an illustration of his mindset.

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 21 May 2013 13:54

Pandoras Box so why the generalisation? - it is equally offensive

It's not really though, is it?

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 21 May 2013 14:06

Anyway, back to the OP.

I'd be sad to see Roberts leave as he was amazing in the Championship. Seeing what he could do in only half a season left me thinking how well he'd do given a whole year. Pretty well, I reckon. I don't reckon he'll be too messed up from his injury either.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 21 May 2013 14:40

So anyway re: the OP - is this confirmed :?:

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 21 May 2013 14:52

Let's hope his media commitments don't get in the way ..after all Reading are his paymaster...rumours are that he and Savage are in line to share the role vacated by Hansen following his departure .....think Roberts needs to decide what his priority is ...can't think of any other existing player doubling up a playing career with a media career...

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 21 May 2013 14:55

RoyalBlue I did wonder at the time whether the word 'nagger' had been very deliberately chosen (by Ideal) for its similarity to another, completely unacceptable word. I also wondered (I might have been wrong) whether that deliberate act was an illustration of his mindset.

I assumed it was a South Park reference.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 May 2013 15:51

Anyone else notice that Nyger seed has now been respelt with a y instead of an i

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 21 May 2013 16:21

Reading West
RockheadRumpl Something racist, since deleted and reported by a moderator

I am aware that it was RockheadRumple who modified Ideal's post, what I am incredibly concerned is that this was posted and passed by without a second glance. I appreciate the banter that is on this forum, I have been on this forum for over 10 years I may not be a prolific poster but I am deeply offended by this. For a fellow poster to refer to a black footballer that plays for your club an "annoying n*gger" as banter deeply disturbs me. Is this forum packed with closet Racists that anything goes as long as it is in banter, or is there an assumption that all of the posters on this Forum are White so noone would mind if in banter a Black player who was instrumental in helping Reading get promoted last season was referred to as an annoying n*gger.

I appreciate many on this forum maybe annoyed on the media exposure Roberts is getting and the stance he is taking on racism. You who are annoyed are entitled to your views, but that is no excuse to slump to this low. I am a black poster on this forum, and I still remember the times where opposing fans have called me a n*gger on their way to Elm Park back in the day, and i assure you I didn't take it as banter. So I will not take as banter when a supposed fan refers to a player as a n*gger in banter or not.

What I am more concerned is that no-one has picked up on this post that happened 2 pages ago, isn't this something the moderators should be picking up on???? or as it is banter it doesn't matter, or is this a reflection that there is still an racial issue going on but as it is under the surface and was written as a joke that it doesn't matter.

I would like a response to this as I have enjoyed reading and taking part on this forum over the years, but if fellow posters feel it is banter to refer to a player as a n*gger then this is not a forum that I want to be part of anymore.

No one "picked up" on Ideal's comments because Ideal is a troll. He didn't call Roberts an "annoying nagger" for banter, but because he wanted people to call him a racist and start 'Ideal said something racist gate'.
RockheadRumpole not only fell in to this trap but so did you. In fact if it wasn't for people repeating Ideal's comments I wouldn't know about them in the first place (I blocked him months ago). But RockheadRumpole wasn't being racist, he was simply pointing out that Ideal was.

I reject your accusation of closet racism. I didn't react to Ideal's comments because I block his comments and don't see them. I didn't react to RockheadRumpole's comment because RockheadRumpole was inadvertently feeding the troll and to react further, as you did, would also be to feed the troll.

I only reacted to your comment, to tell you I am not a closet racist.
Please try to understand the difference between people 'ignoring a troll' (either by blocking comments completely or not reacting) and people 'being accepting of racism'.

Future advice when dealing with Ideal:
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 21 May 2013 16:30, edited 2 times in total.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 21 May 2013 16:29

Reading West What I am more concerned is that no-one has picked up on this post that happened 2 pages ago, isn't this something the moderators should be picking up on???? or as it is banter it doesn't matter, or is this a reflection that there is still an racial issue going on but as it is under the surface and was written as a joke that it doesn't matter.

Rockhead has apologised for what seems a particularly lame attempt at mocking Ideal by underlining what he clearly meant by using the word nagger (as pointed out earlier, a South Park reference http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5770/naggers.jpg)

I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for Ideal...well, he's Ideal - our resident (Norwegian and mental) racist. I guess people have just given up calling him out on it. Not feeding the trolls and all that.

158 posts