McCarthy to Liverpool

199 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: McCarthy to Liverpool

by sandman » 17 May 2013 17:36

maffff Are you suggesting he wants to go to Leeds?

Erm... Go on then. Yes, yes I am. Then again Team Bath is more his level.
Last edited by sandman on 17 May 2013 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 17 May 2013 18:13

St. Brynjar
grey_squirrel
maffff McCarthy's latest quotes are disappointing if you read between the lines though. Effective come and get me plea.

Footballer in claiming he wants to better himself/play at the highest level "insult" shocker

Federici was slated for the same thing to be fair.

Crucified comes to mind

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 May 2013 21:41

McCarthy was interviewed on the back of being called up for the England squad

Fed's ....... er ......... seemed to manufacture the situation to issue the come and get me

I might not have remembered that correctly, by the way.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 May 2013 22:53

Ohhhh so that's going to be the excuse.

For the record Reading had just sold their Captain, were about to sell their top scorer for the second season running and showed no real signs of ambition when Federici did the SSN interview. Hardly manufactured.

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 18 May 2013 09:16

Article all about him in The Times this morning, with a vaguely promising quote:

Reina is not the only person at Liverpool who admires McCarthy: they are expected to be one of a number of clubs who try to prise him away from Reading this summer. He is in no rush to leave. '' I would not go somewhere and not play, even if it's one of the biggest clubs in the country,'' he says. '' The only way you progress is by playing football.'' That has long been McCarthys approach. He has played football the length and breadth of the country. He has done his miles. Look how far he has got.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 May 2013 08:47

mumbo-jumbo Article all about him in The Times this morning, with a vaguely promising quote:

Reina is not the only person at Liverpool who admires McCarthy: they are expected to be one of a number of clubs who try to prise him away from Reading this summer. He is in no rush to leave. '' I would not go somewhere and not play, even if it's one of the biggest clubs in the country,'' he says. '' The only way you progress is by playing football.'' That has long been McCarthys approach. He has played football the length and breadth of the country. He has done his miles. Look how far he has got.

As I said previously I would make it quite clear to McCarthy that he will be Reading's number 1 for as long as he remains at Reading. This would be the first step on the road to rebuilding in the summer.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 22 May 2013 08:07

Club has set a release fee of £15m for McCarthy according to the press today.

Can't see anyone paying this amount but you never know.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 May 2013 09:56

UpNorth Club has set a release fee of £15m for McCarthy according to the press today.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

brilliant.

imo hes about two years away from living up to that price tag, so hopefully we get to keep him till then

good work hammond et al

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 22 May 2013 10:52

UpNorth Club has set a release fee of £15m for McCarthy according to the press today.

Surprised they can unilaterally do that - the release fee is generally written into the player's contract after agreement with them, so only gets changed when a new contract is signed.

I suspect someone in the press may be confusing "release fee" with "asking price" ........

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 22 May 2013 11:02

I suspect someone in the press has just made something up about someone who is small time interesting sports news at the moment.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 22 May 2013 14:06

Alexander Litvinenko

Surprised they can unilaterally do that - the release fee is generally written into the player's contract after agreement with them, so only gets changed when a new contract is signed.

I suspect someone in the press may be confusing "release fee" with "asking price" ........

I guess it depends on whether McCarthy has a release clause in his contract, if he hasn't then the club can ask what they want for him. I didn't think all players had a release clause, and it's not always a good thing, just ask Newcastle about Ba's £7.5M release clause. I would be concerned if there is a release clause, what is it for? Depending on when ithe contract was signed would probably be reflected on the potential value the club put on him. To be honest I would be more worried if he has a clause that allows him to talk to clubs from higher divisions if they come knocking.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 22 May 2013 16:04

Liverpool will most likely sign Begovic from Stoke not McCarthy.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 May 2013 01:20

Barry the bird boggler
mumbo-jumbo Article all about him in The Times this morning, with a vaguely promising quote:

As I said previously I would make it quite clear to McCarthy that he will be Reading's number 1 for as long as he remains at Reading. This would be the first step on the road to rebuilding in the summer.

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 24 Jun 2013 15:39

Looks as though Liverpool are set to sign Mignolet as their long term replacement for Reina. With Federici strongly linked to Leeds, I am starting to believe that Alex will be with us next season. which I find very pleasing.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 24 Jun 2013 15:58

mumbo-jumbo Looks as though Liverpool are set to sign Mignolet as their long term replacement for Reina. With Federici strongly linked to Leeds, I am starting to believe that Alex will be with us next season. which I find very pleasing.

BR could be left with a very interesting man management problem at LFC. It appears Mignolet is coming in, Reina thinks he is on the way out to Barca, but Barca said he was only one of the GK they were considering and Valdes is staying for another year anyway. If Alex was weighing this up as serious option then he could theoretically be only third choice, not a great career move. If Mignolet signs this is dead.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Jun 2013 16:23

Signing drenthe + bridge show serious signs of intent which echoe Adkins and Zing's sole desire to win the title.

Selling McCarthy to some second rate northern team would undermine this.

fedders1871

Alex McCarthy

by fedders1871 » 01 Jul 2013 20:21

Not trying to predict the worst or anything but I haven't seen Alex McCarthy in any of the pre season training pictures at all...

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Alex McCarthy

by LoyalRoyal22 » 01 Jul 2013 20:30

Because he went away with england he gets extra time off
Last edited by LoyalRoyal22 on 01 Jul 2013 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 01 Jul 2013 20:31

He may have been given an extra week off due to England duty at the end of the season.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 01 Jul 2013 20:32

Think you will find he was on international duty with England.
Will get extra time off by his club.

199 posts