The inevitable Karacan to Galatasaray thread

Colin Cheeselog

Re: The inevitable Karacan to Galatasaray thread

by Colin Cheeselog » 31 May 2013 13:33

Ambivalent towards him. I like having players from our academy, and it’s always nice for players to stay for a long time, but we have plenty of central midfielders including Carrico and Akpan who have been promising.

AkpansBFF

by AkpansBFF » 31 May 2013 13:36

TBM Am i the only one that doesn't get the Karacan love?! - he just runs around for 90mins and does very little......

Under adkins has been one of our best passers. Starting to look a lot better than just an engine!

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 31 May 2013 13:44

AkpansBFF
TBM Am i the only one that doesn't get the Karacan love?! - he just runs around for 90mins and does very little......

Under adkins has been one of our best passers. Starting to look a lot better than just an engine!

And him and Guthrie look to have the makings of a very good partnership.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 31 May 2013 16:10

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 May 2013 16:25

£1m LOL

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 31 May 2013 16:43

From what I make of it:

[*] They did try to buy Alper Potuk, who isn't dissimilar, but he's just gone to Fenerbahçe, so they do need a central midfielder.
[*] Generally quite positive about him as a player / option as they missed out on Potuk, but with a few saying he isn't what he needs. Couple of very negative comments, but more positive than an HNA? thread.
[*] A few concerns that he's at a relegated team, but acknowledgement he played well against Fulham & Liverpool. Few comments about his engine/being hyper.
[*] Few prices bandied about - fans willing to see him for >€3m, €1-2m would likely get him.
[*] Comments that as it's their sister club Reading will have to let it happen.
[*] Goods experience for his age in the Premier League and Championship. Would fill the squad if they reach their "foreign quota". Probably wouldn't make the first team, Melo would keep him out, but a decent enough player. Should be aiming more for the likes of Nuri Sahin, Gokhan Tore..
[*] View's that he's a "Fatih Terim type" player.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 31 May 2013 17:21

I would have thought and deal would include the loan or loans of some of the fringe/youngsters. He has played better since Adkins has been here, but I'm still to be convinced he's as good the hype around him. He's certainly not irreplaceable.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 31 May 2013 20:20

Somehow I cannot see Karacan playing in this stadium for one of the worlds biggest clubs.

jellytot

by jellytot » 31 May 2013 21:47

Oh well life goes on.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 31 May 2013 22:51

Ideal

Typical football fan in not understanding player roles shocker.
That's his job in the team. He's a defensive midfielder. Defensive midfielders are supposed to run about a lot and chase opponents, and take defensive-minded positions on the pitch when they do not have the ball. The consequence of this is that they don't see so much of the ball, except when they stick their boot in and grab the ball off the opposing team's player. That is what they do! They are not the ones who play the 50 yard pass accurately onto the foot of the striker after picking off four players and doing a dozen cruyff stepovers, well unless their names are Gullit or Bakero. The point is he's doing his job, that's what makes him great.

I find myself agreeing with Ideal. Shocker.

Karacan is a player with bite, but under Adkins has added some passing to his game. Back to the original point though; he's good but not Galatasaray good.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Jun 2013 11:02

Ideal

:lol: i know more than most of you on here

I know what the role of a defensive midfielder is but he doesn't do it very well if you ask me - Carrico has shown he'll be far more effective in that role than Karacan

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 01 Jun 2013 15:09

Surely if this happens we'll just get some young chap on loan from them?

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 01 Jun 2013 15:26

72 bus Somehow I cannot see Karacan playing in this stadium for one of the worlds biggest clubs.

Real?

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 01 Jun 2013 18:04

Toon Toon Blue army
72 bus Somehow I cannot see Karacan playing in this stadium for one of the worlds biggest clubs.

Real?

Yep.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 01 Jun 2013 18:41

Merhaba

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 01 Jun 2013 18:43

What I dont get is that galatasaray sign the likes of sneijder and drogba but over this window they are being linked with karacan.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 01 Jun 2013 19:38

Ideal

That's his job in the team. He's a defensive midfielder. Defensive midfielders are supposed to run about a lot and chase opponents, and take defensive-minded positions on the pitch when they do not have the ball. The consequence of this is that they don't see so much of the ball, except when they stick their boot in and grab the ball off the opposing team's player. That is what they do! They are not the ones who play the 50 yard pass accurately onto the foot of the striker after picking off four players and doing a dozen cruyff stepovers, well unless their names are Gullit or Bakero. The point is he's doing his job, that's what makes him great.

Nope, defensive midfielders do what Leigertwood did last year. Karacan has had a topsy turvy season, only came good in the last few games, but looks like he might be key next year. Running around and not doing anything isn't being a defensive midfielder.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 01 Jun 2013 19:47

He was just doing what he was told to do, shut down space, put pressure on force mistakes.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 01 Jun 2013 19:51

Ideal

You describe a good defensive midfielder. You're not describing Karacan, I'm afraid. Jem maybe be able to get busy and pull off a tackle, but that's about it. He's a version of what you say, but like some of the others here, I'm really ambivalent about him staying or going. And I don't think for a minute he'll cut at Gala, can't see it at all.
Last edited by Agent Balti on 01 Jun 2013 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 Jun 2013 19:58

USA_Loyal_Royal What I dont get is that galatasaray sign the likes of sneijder and drogba but over this window they are being linked with karacan.

Karacan is half-Turkish and presumably holds a Turkish passport, so he counts as a domestic player for the Turkish league.

Turkey is outside the EU so does not need to use woolly "three years in the country before the age of 21" definitions of "domestic" (so Sigurdsson counts as trained for Reading, for example, even though he's not British). Although Karacan wouldn't count as domestic in European competitions for Turkey, because UEFA use a "trained in nation" definition.