Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by creative_username_1 » 04 Jun 2013 11:33

windermere_royal
creative_username_1 guessing what some other person may have been thinking is defo gonna get this to 50 pages.

Thanks for your input

wow such important priorities in life. keep it up.

cheer m8 :D Thanks for the encouragement

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 04 Jun 2013 13:10

St. Brynjar We would never have gone for Di Canio. SJM would have shit himself.

I think NA was always our preferred candidate, we asked to speak with one or two others, Poyet declined which naturally led the media to say 'POYET OFFERED READING JOB AND REJECTS THEM COZ THEYRE SHIT'.

Poyet was actually offered to us by Brighton (from what Ive heard) he declined to be pushed out and we didn't approach brighton for him.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 04 Jun 2013 17:01

I know we shouldn't be harping on about former managers, but it's interesting Leeds fans are pushing McDermott as a revolutionary 4-3-3/4-5-1 manager with a passing ethos.

He's said today he's looking to bring four players to the club and closing in on them, so we'll see by the type of player that he gets into their club what he has learned and how he's looking to build going forward with an opportunity to impress himself on the club with a fresh start.

This season it felt a lot like he panicked and reverted to type, even if the intention for more expansive play was there in signings (Guthrie / Carriço). He knows the Championship and should be able to do what he wants his way with a little less pressure..... time will tell.

Although I'm very happy with Adkins.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Jun 2013 17:32

He'll do well there, but he still has Gibbo there as his right hand man and he'll still have the same core beliefs, so I can't see them playing too differently to the way we did under him the Champ. They'll be effective, motivated, and will probably be top 8 come April. I imagine most of the Leeds fans' positivity comes from blind optimism rather than too much aesthetic evidence, because having watched them play Watford they didn't look massively different from Reading c. 2011.

We sacked a very good manager for that level. Hopefully we've hired one that is equally effective at that level, and will be able to get us competing at a higher one. It's far from certain though, and only time will tell.
Last edited by winchester_royal on 04 Jun 2013 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Jun 2013 17:35

Having watched Leeds on the final day of the season it was exactly the same as it was for us....

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 05 Jun 2013 13:34

ZacNaloen Having watched Leeds on the final day of the season it was exactly the same as it was for us....

What - winning?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Jun 2013 14:00

maffff
He's said today he's looking to bring four players to the club and closing in on them, so we'll see by the type of player that he gets into their club

New players wanted. No pitch time required.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 05 Jun 2013 16:31

Basically decided there's no point banging your head against a brick wall. Especially when you're talking to people who can't see the bleeding obvious as is the case with the Di Ckanio situation.

You've all made your minds up that McDermott is the footballing anti christ and Adkins with his supposed "style" is the greatest manager ever. It's a shame given how much stock and importance Brian put into the fans that you all can't be a little more grateful to McD after all he did for us not only as manager but also in the other jobs he had at the club.
Last edited by sandman on 05 Jun 2013 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 05 Jun 2013 16:32

All?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Jun 2013 16:57

sandman
You've all made your minds up that McDermott is the footballing anti christ and Adkins with his supposed style is the greatest manager ever.

Er, no. You've made YOUR mind up that's what everyone thinks.

Most on here like both managers, can see where the old gaffer went wrong and look forward to the new gaffer fixing it.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 05 Jun 2013 17:09

Extended-Phenotype
sandman
You've all made your minds up that McDermott is the footballing anti christ and Adkins with his supposed style is the greatest manager ever.

Most on here like both managers, can see where the old gaffer went wrong and look forward to the new gaffer fixing it.

+1

Maybe I missed something over the last 40 odd pages, but I don't remember anyone ragging on Brian for being the anti-christ or whatever? What there is, is a sizeable amount of frustration about how the way things turned out last season, and Brian has to shoulder a large part of the responsibility for that. It is without doubt that Brian did masses for this club, and was a very loyal and treasured servant. However, he chose to take the step into the hottest seat of all at the club so he would have known his position would be precarious if things did not go right. All facets of Brian's performance while he was here are open to scrutiny, and while he has done nothing to justify any sort of 'anti christ to football' thoughts, there are a number of people on here that are very loathe to accept he should take on any blame for what occurred last season. In the cold light of day the truth probably lies somewhere in that grey area in the middle.

He left nearly three months ago now, and is at a different club, and good luck to him (although not at our expense!!) but I do have a feeling that this thread is going to bumble along like some awful soap opera.
Last edited by Elm Park Pasty on 05 Jun 2013 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 05 Jun 2013 17:18

It's almost like sandman is trying to wind people up.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Jun 2013 17:24

And i always liked the Sandman.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 05 Jun 2013 17:28

MouldyRoyal It's almost like sandman is trying to wind people up.

To be honest I did wonder that, but as I sitting here at my desk bored rigid, and as this thread is beginning to get on my nerves, I thought I would reply.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Jun 2013 17:35

MouldyRoyal It's almost like sandman is trying to wind people up.

Almost like it, yeah.

CrispyRoyal

by CrispyRoyal » 05 Jun 2013 17:51

Extended-Phenotype
sandman

Exactly this. Nobody is saying Brian can't manage. At Championship level he is a very good manager. But he got found out massively in the Prem, and his techniques are far too limited for the top flight. Adkins however proved he could cope in the Prem, and play a better style of football, therefore we have every right to be excited for the future.

McDermott isn't football anti-christ. Adkins isn't God. McDermott is a good Championship manager, but IMO, Adkins is a good Premier League one :wink:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 05 Jun 2013 22:19

As I've said before, Sandman likes to completely polarise his opposition's particular point of view so that he can claim the middle ground and ultimately the victory.

I still fall for it every time though :oops:

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 06 Jun 2013 12:28

CrispyRoyal
. Adkins however proved he could cope in the Prem,

When did he prove this exactly. Southampton spent 40 million and were flirting with relegation. He was sacked
took over at Reading and managed 5 points out of 27 (iirc)

I'm fully behind Adkins and wish Mcd luck at his new post but.........lets base everything on evidence and not opinion.
Adkins is in the lucky position of being new at the moment. Similar to a politician in the opposition party, hasn't had
the chance to feck it up yet.

This has nothing to do with who's the manager for me

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 06 Jun 2013 12:33

lol@ all the Brian haters backing down now they've realised they're talking utter shit. Good work sandman.

"oh err, no we think he'd a good manager, just that err, well i'm sure he'll do well at Leeds, err"

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 06 Jun 2013 12:47

I just feel a bit sorry for Sandman really.

3714 posts