NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Wayne Bridge

271 posts
Once were Biscuitmen

Re: NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Wayne Bridge

by Once were Biscuitmen » 08 Jun 2013 11:52

Royalee RIP 'the Reading Way' and 'moving on' and small club syndrome, thank God.

Yes, yes- bringing in an ex Brighton defender on a one year contract must really be tearing up Nicky Hammond inside.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 08 Jun 2013 12:50

sandman :|

By bringing in an ageing, ex-England international full back on a free transfer? We did that last summer.

Bit of an own goal there Sandy! Last year we were supposed to be preparing for the Premiership.........

You've inadvertently highlighted exactly why those of us with any sense were so concerned during our transfer activity last summer. We were adding Championship quality to a Championship team and expecting to be able to compete in the Premiership.

This year we are building a team to compete for the Championship, and in that context Bridge is a great signing.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Jun 2013 12:55

Not really Avy as the same can easily apply to criticisms levelled at the signing of Harte who we signed in the Championship. There's two people who are more to blame for the lack of spending last year and that is the owner who set the budget for the manager and the director of football.

The debate is RoyaLOLee's assertion that this signing signals the end of the "Reading way" when in reality it isn't as it is the same as deals we have done in the past.

People like you accused McDermott of only looking at the short term by signing the likes of Harte and Shorey because they were "short term signings". Then you cream your Brizzle undercrackers over a short term signing by the new manager. Next year when we're still in the champ or in a relegation scrap at the bottom of the PL you'll be the first to start complaining about how we should've tried to sign someone for the long term and how Bridge is too slow and out of his depth.
Last edited by sandman on 08 Jun 2013 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 08 Jun 2013 13:16

Quite pleased with this signing.

Just come back from the ticket office, I swear there was a little tear in the eye of the fella when I said I was renewing.

He all but said Gawd bless ya guvnor as I passed him the dough.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 08 Jun 2013 14:03

Those saying this signals the end of our financial prudence need to remember he was signed for a free and was quoted as saying he just wants to play football and is not interested in the money.

Great singing IMO but I will hold judgement until others are signed to really see our intent.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Jun 2013 15:19

lol at comparing signing Shorey for the Preniership and Bridge for the Championship :lol:

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 08 Jun 2013 16:19

There seem to be a fair few people who are miffed, or at least not particularly impressed, with this on the basis that he's an old and past it player and that we're signing him because he used to be quite good rather than based on current ability.
Would those people be any happier if it were phrased as "in order to build for our championship promotion campaign we're signing the left back who played nearly every game for a team that made the championship play-offs and got in the team of the year"? Because, I fear that the fact that he used to play for Chelsea and England is actually detracting from how good he clearly is!

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 08 Jun 2013 18:39

FFS it just shows how far we have come to be willing an able to criticise, before a ball is kicked the signing of a top left back.

I'm too old for this and will get slated but if anyone remembers Elm Park and the days travelling to the likes of Barnet and getting drenched seeing RFC scraping a win then we are lucky to even be here.

Let the bloke at least have one game before we get on his or the club's back.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 08 Jun 2013 18:47

Winnershroyal Quite pleased with this signing.

Just come back from the ticket office, I swear there was a little tear in the eye of the fella when I said I was renewing.

Must be due to lack of renewals

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Jun 2013 19:00

Big Ern
Great singing IMO

Fat lot of good that will do us.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 08 Jun 2013 20:54

To be considered. Some players are on a downward trend at 32, some still have 3 or 4 more years at the top. If Bridge is in the second consideration he may be a very good signing. If he is in the first, he still may help us in the coming campaign.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 08 Jun 2013 22:47

Very happy with this signing...and early on, sends a message of intent to our other targets (as others have said).

:lol: @ anyone criticizing the team for bringing a very much in demand player, a former England international capped 36 times, who has played at the highest level of the game and who has shown he can still play ata high level. It is brilliant! 8)

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 08 Jun 2013 23:09

The fact he chose us over QPR is a great endorsement to further transfer targets, plus the fact we failed to spend in the Premiership is also a plus for players coming in - We may not offer them as much money as others this season but they'll games under their belt and a real chance to go up into the promised land and unlike QPR, this club will stick with you in the premier league and not replace you with new signings.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Jun 2013 00:42

Bridge >>>> Shorey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harte

Yet even Harte was reasonable for is in the championship and many still bizarrely orgasmed over him in the Prem :shock: .

So Brisge is an absolutely fantastic signing and restores the quality RB Kelly where he belongs, with some healthy competition there in Gunter.

Very very happy. Barely a couple of games in the Prem and I predicted Harte would be our downfall as attackign football wouodnt be so effective in the Prem without a solid defence, and clearly he was one of the reasons we went down. The mere fact that one of the first things Adkins did was to drop Harte and his first signing is a quality left back just tells me this guy knows WTF he's doing and I already have full faith in Adkins. Thank **** for that.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Jun 2013 01:40

2 world wars, 1 world cup Bridge >>>> Shorey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harte
one of the first things Adkins did was to drop Harte

So, having dropped 35 year old Harte to the bench, what on earth did he do with East Stand Matinee Idol Nicky "One Foot" Shorey :|

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 Jun 2013 08:14

Awesome signing. TB approves of this one immensely.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 09 Jun 2013 14:07

Terminal Boardom TB approves of this one immensely.

That must come as a great relief to the board, NH and NA.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 09 Jun 2013 14:14

best part about this signing is pissing arry off, although would bridge still have choose to come here if QPR backed arry???

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 09 Jun 2013 17:57

loyalroyal4life
Winnershroyal Quite pleased with this signing.

Must be due to lack of renewals

Less than 3000 to date according to ticket Waller.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Jun 2013 18:34

^Tbf I don't think that's too bad given it's only early June

271 posts