Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Jun 2013 11:59

I do find it funny that people think because McDermott beat Adkins to the title by one point it makes him a much better manager.

They like to gloss over the fact that it was Saints 1st season back there after promotion. In reality they had no right to be chasing the title & none of their fans would have expected successive promotions. Not in a million years.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Jun 2013 13:10

MmmMonsterMunch I do find it funny that people think because McDermott beat Adkins to the title by one point it makes him a much better manager.

They like to gloss over the fact that it was Saints 1st season back there after promotion. In reality they had no right to be chasing the title & none of their fans would have expected successive promotions. Not in a million years.

They also overlook the fact that under him Saints were doing considerably better than us in the PL. Maybe it was only a couple of points but they could have proved critical and they were definitely performing better than us. I reckon Saints would have stayed up even had they kept Adkins but then we would have been down and out and not had him now as our manager!

Royal91 I'm not suggesting anything; but Leeds signing some 6 ft 6 striker from Oldham doesn't exactly promote 'passing' football.

It does if they intend passing it > 7ft 6 off the ground! :wink:

CrispyRoyal

by CrispyRoyal » 15 Jun 2013 13:14

MmmMonsterMunch I do find it funny that people think because McDermott beat Adkins to the title by one point it makes him a much better manager.

+1, we won the title through a combination of riding our own luck and hard work, away to Southampton, away to West Ham, away to Brighton especially, we could have been beaten comprehensively in all of these games, looking back I'm not sure how we managed to go on that run. We just developed a winning mentality. We didn't play good football at all, whereas Saints had played great football all year and were in the top two all year. Adkins got them back to back promotions and was doing fine in keeping them up. Adkins not only has better credentials than Brian, his teams play much better football, he is much better in the transfer market and he knows what it takes in the Prem, something Brian couldn't handle.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 15 Jun 2013 13:28

A couple of things really make me laugh out loud..firstly, this old cliche where 'he didn't inherit a Premiership side', and what? Did Adkins at Saints? Did Allardyce at West Ham? All three teams (we're the other one) were all in the same boat.

Secondly, Some of you like to make things up as you go along when it comes to McDermott and his sacking. It's a never ending wall of excuses.

Here's some classics I've read on this thread:-

-He's a nice guy
-Anton didn't back him financially
-Anton didn't support him
-Hammond is at fault for the signings and McDermott took the blame
-He's a nice guy, again
-He's been with Reading 13 years and treated this way
-He's a legend because he won the Championship with limited resources (YAWN! What...the fifth highest player's wages in the division at the time)
-He should of stayed and got us back up again (Oh yeah, as if Anton is going to trust him with his money again)
-It was Guthrie's fault
-He should of been given the chance to finish the season off (Now can't you see why? At least Adkins can see what's good enough and what's not)
-He's a nice guy, again, again

We were very lucky to win the Championship with him, Saints and West Ham let us off with their patchy bad spells and that allowed us to clinch it, just. It was one point we won it by, some of you sound like it was a landslide. Yes, we won against our main rivals on their own doorsteps. Was it mainly down to McDermott? No. It was also the other teams lacking the determination to win those games. We were absolutely slaughtered most of the game at Saints, but we come away with the points(and one of the best away games I've ever been to).

And those that keep on harping on about being 'Brian haters' really need to change the record, as you're as boring as the shade of grey. I'm not a hater, I'm glad he's gone for Reading FC's sake, he isn't Reading FC, just another manager passing through. Some of you are so clicky on here, as if you some sort of higher superior supporter, the rest you consider cannon fodder and that you have the right to shoot those down who a, don't watch the team game in game out or b, have been a member of HNA for a certain amount of time. No. We're all supporters/fans of Reading FC and want the best of our club. Some of you just want failure to get your own way or views put across so you can say in your higher superior manner, 'I told you so'. Get the oxf*rd over it.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Jun 2013 13:29

Oooft, that will cause a stir in some loins

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 15 Jun 2013 13:38

winchester_royal Oooft, that will cause a stir in some loins

It sure will 8)

Shucks.

*awaits the love children of McDermott*

CrispyRoyal

by CrispyRoyal » 15 Jun 2013 13:44

AirRaidSiren A couple of things really make me laugh out loud..firstly, this old cliche where 'he didn't inherit a Premiership side', and what? Did Adkins at Saints? Did Allardyce at West Ham? All three teams (we're the other one) were all in the same boat.

Secondly, Some of you like to make things up as you go along when it comes to McDermott and his sacking. It's a never ending wall of excuses.

-He's a nice guy
-He's a nice guy, again
-He's a legend because he won the Championship with limited resources (YAWN! What...the fifth highest player's wages in the division at the time)
-He should of stayed and got us back up again (Oh yeah, as if Anton is going to trust him with his money again)
-It was Guthrie's fault
-He should of been given the chance to finish the season off (Now can't you see why? At least Adkins can see what's good enough and what's not)

We were very lucky to win the Championship with him, Saints and West Ham let us off with their patchy bad spells and that allowed us to clinch it, just. It was one point we won it by, some of you sound like it was a landslide. Yes, we won against our main rivals on their own doorsteps. Was it mainly down to McDermott? No. It was also the other teams lacking the determination to win those games. We were absolutely slaughtered most of the game at Saints, but we come away with the points(and one of the best away games I've ever been to).

And those that keep on harping on about being 'Brian haters' really need to change the record, as you're as boring as the shade of grey. I'm not a hater, I'm glad he's gone for Reading FC's sake, he isn't Reading FC, just another manager passing through. Some of you are so clicky on here, as if you some sort of higher superior supporter, the rest you consider cannon fodder and that you have the right to shoot those down who a, don't watch the team game in game out or b, have been a member of HNA for a certain amount of time. No. We're all supporters/fans of Reading FC and want the best of our club. Some of you just want failure to get your own way or views put across so you can say in your higher superior manner, 'I told you so'. Get the oxf*rd over it.

+1000

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Jun 2013 14:59

AirRaidSiren A couple of things really make me laugh out loud..firstly, this old cliche where 'he didn't inherit a Premiership side', and what? Did Adkins at Saints? Did Allardyce at West Ham? All three teams (we're the other one) were all in the same boat.

-He's a nice guy
-He's a nice guy, again
-It was Guthrie's fault

Absolutely nailed it.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 15 Jun 2013 15:27

-He's a nice guy
-He's a nice guy, again
-It was Guthrie's fault

^This

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 16 Jun 2013 02:16

-He's a nice guy
-He's a nice guy, again
-It was Guthrie's fault

Best post i have seen on this site for a while!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 16 Jun 2013 15:57

AirRaidSiren We were very lucky to win the Championship with him

Immediately filed it as a joke post after reading this.

Total bollocks.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 16 Jun 2013 17:30

Maguire

Total bollocks.

'greed. I couldn't even be bothered commenting on it

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 16 Jun 2013 17:36

Maguire

Total bollocks.

Oh, how :shock:ed I am by this reply

A response with no substance and no credibility. A response I expect from some.

QUOTE: "Some of you are so clicky on here, as if you some sort of higher superior supporter, the rest you consider cannon fodder and that you have the right to shoot those down who a, don't watch the team game in game out or b, have been a member of HNA for a certain amount of time." UNQUOTE.

:roll:

EDIT:- http://www.leedsunited.com/news/2013050 ... 85_3164774

Better get in there quick as 11,000 have already sold!

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 16 Jun 2013 18:41

AirRaidSiren
Maguire

Total bollocks.

QUOTE: "Some of you are so clicky on here, as if you some sort of higher superior supporter, the rest you consider cannon fodder and that you have the right to shoot those down who a, don't watch the team game in game out or b, have been a member of HNA for a certain amount of time." UNQUOTE.

:shock:

Sorry I'm new here and this seems to be the standard reply to anything.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 16 Jun 2013 20:13

Totally IN with Air Raid, Slammed, Sam, Royalee & Crispy.

Would I rather be supporting Leeds or Reading going into the new season? No contest.

Matt Smith?! FFS. Impressive. The seats at Elland Road will need to be inclined by a further 45 degree angle.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 16 Jun 2013 20:23

Maguire

Total bollocks.

Thank God. I thought I was the only person who thought that.

Esteban

by Esteban » 16 Jun 2013 20:36

AirRaidSiren
Maguire

Total bollocks.

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you said, you don't go through two and a half seasons of Championship football, winning as many games as McDermott did, through luck alone. And he did that on the backdrop of comparatively small transfer fees and watching his best players depart each season.

You can pull apart his record in the PL all you like, but there is no denying McDermott's record as a manager in the Championship. He was exceptional for us at a time of uncertainty and change.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jun 2013 22:42

No one's saying McDermott's achievements were all luck. But there was certainly an element of luck in winning the League by just one point because our two main rivals bottled crucial games against us. It was more a case of Saints losing the title, than us winning it.

If you prefer not to call that luck fine. But you make yourself look pretty stupid for dismissing a largely well written and thought out post just because of one word with perhaps a little over-emphasis on it.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 16 Jun 2013 22:48

Ian Royal No one's saying McDermott's achievements were all luck. But there was certainly an element of luck in winning the League by just one point because our two main rivals bottled crucial games against us. It was more a case of Saints losing the title, than us winning it. .

This argument always makes me laugh. You mean our two main rivals lost against us? And it was luck? What if they'd won? Would that have been luck too?

I can't read any message that uses the word clicky. It offends my sensibilities.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jun 2013 22:57

Para Handy
Ian Royal No one's saying McDermott's achievements were all luck. But there was certainly an element of luck in winning the League by just one point because our two main rivals bottled crucial games against us. It was more a case of Saints losing the title, than us winning it. .

This argument always makes me laugh. You mean our two main rivals lost against us? And it was luck? What if they'd won? Would that have been luck too?

I can't read any message that uses the word clicky. It offends my sensibilities.

Depends on the circumstances of the victory.

West Ham threw away a lead and 1st half domination at home. Sockgate and their arrogance lost them the game. Saints were clearly the best side in the division and choked against us at home. They both cracked under the pressure. That's a little lucky. Had we started the season slightly better and been up with them most the season, rather than surging like a train from nowhere, I doubt they'd have bottled it and lost the title to us.

At the end of the day, the margins of our Championship title were tiny and we rode our luck in several games at the end of the season with well taken away victories against the run of play on several occasions.

And the best argument anyone seems able to come up with is basically "You're stupid, there's no such thing as luck". Yeah, great one.

3714 posts