Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Para Handy

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Para Handy » 16 Jun 2013 23:00

Ian Royal
Para Handy
Ian Royal No one's saying McDermott's achievements were all luck. But there was certainly an element of luck in winning the League by just one point because our two main rivals bottled crucial games against us. It was more a case of Saints losing the title, than us winning it. .

This argument always makes me laugh. You mean our two main rivals lost against us? And it was luck? What if they'd won? Would that have been luck too?

I can't read any message that uses the word clicky. It offends my sensibilities.

Depends on the circumstances of the victory.

West Ham threw away a lead and 1st half domination at home. Sockgate and their arrogance lost them the game. Saints were clearly the best side in the division and choked against us at home. They both cracked under the pressure. That's a little lucky. Had we started the season slightly better and been up with them most the season, rather than surging like a train from nowhere, I doubt they'd have bottled it and lost the title to us.

At the end of the day, the margins of our Championship title were tiny and we rode our luck in several games at the end of the season with well taken away victories against the run of play on several occasions.

And the best argument anyone seems able to come up with is basically "You're stupid, there's no such thing as luck". Yeah, great one.

Out of interest, were you at any of those games?

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 16 Jun 2013 23:02

Ian Royal No one's saying McDermott's achievements were all luck. But there was certainly an element of luck in winning the League by just one point because our two main rivals bottled crucial games against us. It was more a case of Saints losing the title, than us winning it.

If you prefer not to call that luck fine. But you make yourself look pretty stupid for dismissing a largely well written and thought out post just because of one word with perhaps a little over-emphasis on it.

there is massive amounts of luck in every aspect of absolutely pcunting everything. I'd imagine luck is normally
distributed between the teams in the league, it would be much more surprising if all teams were equally lucky.

It was more a case of Saints losing the title, than us winning it

We got promoted to early

Are the posts of simpletons

As for McD or Adkins i'm not really bothered. Based upon the only thing like for like evidence we have (their records at Reading FC)
McD(currently)>>>>>>>>Adkins. Hopefully this will change in the coming seasons

couldn't resist it could you Ian

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Jun 2013 23:04

creative_username_1
As for McD or Adkins i'm not really bothered. Based upon the only thing like for like evidence we have (their records at Reading FC)
McD(currently)>>>>>>>>Adkins. Hopefully this will change in the coming seasons

lolwut

There is absolutely no 'like for like' evidence that can be used to make any kind of comparison.

Deary me.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 16 Jun 2013 23:06

And Southampton were lucky to get a point in the game at the Madejski that season, funny how that isn't mentioned. West Ham were unlucky because they were indisciplined against us? Nope, not buying that either. We were the better team in that game before the sendings off. Total bollocks Ian.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 16 Jun 2013 23:12

Winch, i oxf*rd up the font color slightly in the last comment, was just fishing. Was supposed to be invisible until it was quoted

Iirc you posted up an image on the favorite instrument thread about instrument variables in recursive systems so am guessing you have some kind of math background (amirite?)
Last edited by creative_username_1 on 16 Jun 2013 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jun 2013 23:12

southbank1871 And Southampton were lucky to get a point in the game at the Madejski that season, funny how that isn't mentioned. West Ham were unlucky because they were indisciplined against us? Nope, not buying that either. We were the better team in that game before the sendings off. Total bollocks Ian.

Wrong game. You're absolutely right about our game at our place against them. We did them good and proper. I was talking about their reaction to sockgate in that they obviously let it affect them in the return match.

Para - I watched them both.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 16 Jun 2013 23:14

What about the Saints home game?

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 16 Jun 2013 23:27

Ian Royal Para - I watched them both.

I didn't ask if you watched them Ian. I asked if you were at them. A minor point maybe.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 16 Jun 2013 23:28

Para Handy

I didn't ask if you watched them Ian. I asked if you were at them. A minor point maybe.

Just answer the question Ian, Yes or No will suffice

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 16 Jun 2013 23:45

creative_username_1 Winch, i oxf*rd up the font color slightly in the last comment, was just fishing. Was supposed to be invisible until it was quoted

Iirc you posted up an image on the favorite instrument thread about instrument variables in recursive systems so am guessing you have some kind of math background (amirite?)

Economics student :P

And yes, as an intermediate Econometrician I can assure you that we currently have no data to make a meaningful comparison that we can draw inference from.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 16 Jun 2013 23:47

EconometROFLician :wink:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 17 Jun 2013 00:03

SociaLOL sciences

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jun 2013 00:07

Para Handy

What difference does that make? Other than petty point scoring obviously. Seen is seen. I went to some games, I watched others.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 17 Jun 2013 00:14

Yes or No m8?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 17 Jun 2013 00:17

LOL at the Brianites trying to dodge the issue by hounding Ian about dodging an issue! :lol:

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 17 Jun 2013 00:29

Brian's masterstroke management + massive slice of luck = Shit team getting promotion. He was a genius at times - bringing on Alf against Southampton when they were battering us for example. But at the same time if it wasn't for Federici's acrobatics or Saints and West Ham mucking up countless times we wouldn't have gone up. We shouldn't have gone up but Brian made it happen.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Jun 2013 00:42

AirRaidSiren
Maguire
AirRaidSiren We were very lucky to win the Championship with him

Immediately filed it as a joke post after reading this.

Total bollocks.

Oh, how :shock:ed I am by this reply

A response with no substance and no credibility. A response I expect from some.

QUOTE: "Some of you are so clicky on here, as if you some sort of higher superior supporter, the rest you consider cannon fodder and that you have the right to shoot those down who a, don't watch the team game in game out or b, have been a member of HNA for a certain amount of time." UNQUOTE.

:roll:

EDIT:- http://www.leedsunited.com/news/2013050 ... 85_3164774

Better get in there quick as 11,000 have already sold!

How is there "no credibility" in laughing at your assertion we won the league through luck? Let me get this straight, you think we played 46 games of football over 8 or so months and we ended up with the highest points total in the league because we were lucky?

You don't understand sport whatsoever.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 17 Jun 2013 10:40

@Maguire

"How is there "no credibility" in laughing at your assertion we won the league through luck? Let me get this straight, you think we played 46 games of football over 8 or so months and we ended up with the highest points total in the league because we were lucky?

You don't understand sport whatsoever."

Luck has some part to play in any sport. I thought you would know that? I particularly mentioned the Saints away as an example. We were lucky to win that game, the way we played and the way Saints played. Again, another game where we are bombarded, absolutely slaughtered with play and had the luck of the draw by scoring 3 goals against the grain. It wasn't ALL luck, some of it was.

Yes, luck had a big part to play in our Championship winning year 2011/12. I'm not taking away the fact that we won it, I'm simply implying that luck did come into effect.

I understand sport alright, I just don't have McDermott-rose-tinted glasses on.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Jun 2013 10:47

Is it luck that the Saints full back couldn't cope with an injured, drugged up so he can play, Kebe?

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 17 Jun 2013 10:49

@Esteban

"Whilst I agree with a lot of what you said, you don't go through two and a half seasons of Championship football, winning as many games as McDermott did, through luck alone. And he did that on the backdrop of comparatively small transfer fees and watching his best players depart each season.

You can pull apart his record in the PL all you like, but there is no denying McDermott's record as a manager in the Championship. He was exceptional for us at a time of uncertainty and change."

Yes, he was exceptional for winning the league, any manager is by winning any league. I won't take that away from him. What I will say is that some on here harp on that we slaughtered the opposition, that we were untouchable. Far from it. We rode our LUCK many times that season.

As for the small transfer fee's you mentioned, again, the FIFTH highest wage structure in the league that season? We had a small transfer kitty every season under Madejski, did we not? He done well with what he had to play with, lady luck helped too.

3714 posts