So who else do we need? *Post Drenthe/Pearce/Bridge*

128 posts
MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: So who else do we need? *Post Drenthe/Pearce/Bridge*

by MouldyRoyal » 21 Jun 2013 14:01

SPARTA I keep seeing Kelly placed at right-back but Adkins favours attacking wing-backs, hence Gunter getting a lot of game time at the end of the season. Kelly will be cover IMO. Fulham's biggest criticism of Kelly was he never got forward enough, and that wont suit Adkins style.

Gunter got game time as Kelly was playing at LB though. With Bridge as first choice LB there will obv be a battle between Gunter and Kelly for RB position. Yet to see who Adkins prefers. (Please be Kelly...)

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 21 Jun 2013 14:07

Obviously more signings would be great but I don't know how much we really need anyone else.
Goalkeepers: McCarthy, Federici, S.Taylor (out of contract but supposedly still in talks).
Full Backs: Bridge, Kelly, Gunter, Cummings
Centre Backs: Pearce, Marriapa, Morrison, Gorkss (If we can keep him then we should, still easily good enough to be 4th CB in championship)
Centre Mid: Guthrie, Karacan, Akpan, Carrico, Leigertwood
Wingers: HRK, Drenthe, McCleary, McAnuff, Kebe
Strikers: Pog, ALF, Roberts, Blackman, (Samuel?)

We nearly have two good championship sides there and we don't desperately need anyone.
Depending on what formation we're gonna be playing depends on who might be useful. If wer'e playing 4-5-1 then an extra midfielder would be good because then we'd be up to two complete midfields. If we're playing 4-4-2 then maybe an extra striker as there are still question marks over Roberts' fitness.
And we would also need to replace anyone above who leaves as well as anyone who is deemed not up to it by Nigel (Carrico Leigertwood?).
BUT as I said, we don't desperately need anyone. If I were told now that we were making no more signings then I would have a lot of confidence in that squad at least getting us in the play-offs.

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 21 Jun 2013 14:08

MouldyRoyal
SPARTA I keep seeing Kelly placed at right-back but Adkins favours attacking wing-backs, hence Gunter getting a lot of game time at the end of the season. Kelly will be cover IMO. Fulham's biggest criticism of Kelly was he never got forward enough, and that wont suit Adkins style.

Gunter got game time as Kelly was playing at LB though. With Bridge as first choice LB there will obv be a battle between Gunter and Kelly for RB position. Yet to see who Adkins prefers. (Please be Kelly...)

If it's attacking full backs he's after we might see more of Shaun Cummings at right back. He doesn't have the ability of Gunter or Kelly but he is the right style of player.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 21 Jun 2013 14:12

genome
Libertine Well didn't AZ say something like 5-7 signings?

1. Bridge
2. Drenthe
3. Pearce
4. Messi
5. Ronaldo
6. Lewandowski
7. Bale

Filled that in for you

Now you're just being ridiculous...

...Spurs wont sell Bale.

Sweet FA

by Sweet FA » 21 Jun 2013 14:26

Lovely hot donuts! Obviously more signings would be great but I don't know how much we really need anyone else.
Goalkeepers: McCarthy, Federici, S.Taylor (out of contract but supposedly still in talks).
Full Backs: Bridge, Kelly, Gunter, Cummings
Centre Backs: Pearce, Marriapa, Morrison, Gorkss (If we can keep him then we should, still easily good enough to be 4th CB in championship)
Centre Mid: Guthrie, Karacan, Akpan, Carrico, Leigertwood
Wingers: HRK, Drenthe, McCleary, McAnuff, Kebe
Strikers: Pog, ALF, Roberts, Blackman, (Samuel?)

We nearly have two good championship sides there and we don't desperately need anyone.
Depending on what formation we're gonna be playing depends on who might be useful. If wer'e playing 4-5-1 then an extra midfielder would be good because then we'd be up to two complete midfields. If we're playing 4-4-2 then maybe an extra striker as there are still question marks over Roberts' fitness.
And we would also need to replace anyone above who leaves as well as anyone who is deemed not up to it by Nigel (Carrico Leigertwood?).
BUT as I said, we don't desperately need anyone. If I were told now that we were making no more signings then I would have a lot of confidence in that squad at least getting us in the play-offs.

Would agree based on ability, but I still think we need a couple more arrivals and departures. The squad's confidence must be shot to bits after getting beat week in week out last season, and it's not unheard of for that kind of losing mentality to creep into the next season. Before you know it you're not even an outside bet for the play-offs! So a little more freshening up is required IMO.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 21 Jun 2013 14:28

All we need is probably one striker, and then replacements for anyone that leaves. Best midfield in the league by miles.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Jun 2013 14:29

We need to freshen up our strikers IMO

Perhaps Pogerbnyak might be offered to Celtic as any part of the (unlikely) Hooper deal

Keep Le Fondre and Roberts and add two others, Samuel and Ugwu would continue development with loan deals into the FL

After that I think we need to establish which players will make up our central midfield options so perhaps we would be open to offers from other clubs for a couple of players and use that money to reconfigure the options. Certainly I see Carrico and Guthrie as the main two in that area currently

Ideally need a young talented up and coming left back but it's not a priority and centre backs, right backs and keepers we are well covered for at this level.

So I see any further transfers in as being all about talent, excitement on the pitch, goalscoring and creativity and if we can attract the RIGHT names then we should be onto something this season

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 21 Jun 2013 14:31

I'm still slightly pessimistic, although granted if we do go up we'll have another transfer window, the players didn't perform last or just weren't good enough so I think we should 'swap' a few players out.
McAnuff is getting old, Leigertwood too and he had a pretty bad season. Guthrie/Karacan can just about cut it though. Still need another midfielder imo.

Midfielder and a striker, with Ledge, Jobi, Federici and Gorkss out the door. I've played a bit too much FM i think.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 21 Jun 2013 14:32

Agree. Roberts may not feature for a while and when he does he may not last long with that hip, so realistically we have Alf and Pog, oh and Blackman... We need one striker now, and that's if we include Samuel into the side IMO. If someone goes, then we need two.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 21 Jun 2013 14:36

McCarthy

Gunter
Mariappa
Morisson
Bridge

Karacan
Guthrie

McCleary
HRK
Drenthe

ALF/Pog/New signing

Cannot wait for next season if that is our starting 11. ON PAPER should tear the league apart

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Jun 2013 14:41

Unbelievable Jeff McCarthy

Gunter
Mariappa
Morisson
Bridge

Karacan
Guthrie

McCleary
HRK
Drenthe

ALF/Pog/New signing

Cannot wait for next season if that is our starting 11. ON PAPER should tear the league apart

Good all we need to do now then is persuade the FL to play next season's games on paper

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 21 Jun 2013 15:10

Two top strikers and a back up LB..a lot depends on whether we can keep Pog (think of the Drenthe/Kebe service). Assuming ALF & Pog stay then that's all for me.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 21 Jun 2013 15:20

2 good strikers. preferably one of Hooper/Rhodes/Austin and another decent young striker who will do well for us. (its highly unlikely that we will get one of the big 3 that we are after). maybe a decent, young league one striker will due for this season? along with hooper/austin/rhodes of course.

aflie, blackman, (hooper/austin/rhodes), young striker, samuel

solid strike force that is!!!

oh, and for sure we need a good attacking midfielder. jobi will due for this season if we cant bring one in.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Jun 2013 16:15

It's been a great start to the transfer window but it seems to be escaping the attention of some that goals are pretty damn important. So we still need to sign a couple of very good goalscorers - then we are set!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Jun 2013 16:23

Only real essential is a Striker.

Central Attacking Midfielder would be nice.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 21 Jun 2013 16:25

maffff Only real essential is a Striker.

Central Attacking Midfielder would be nice.

Yup

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 21 Jun 2013 17:04

Two proven pacy strikers then we are good to go.

Cliche I know, but we need a 20+ goal a season man.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Jun 2013 17:05

Avon Royal Two proven pacy strikers then we are good to go.

Cliche I know, but we need a 20+ goal a season man.

Anything less than a 40+ goal a season man and it must be Adkins out, surely.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Jun 2013 17:07

I won't settle for less than a 200+ goal a season man.

Adkins out.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Jun 2013 17:21

ZacNaloen I won't settle for less than a 200+ goal a season man.

Adkins out.

We signed him last month. Scoring on average 4/5 goals a game over 46 games that's between 184 and 230 a season.... so middle ground, 207p/y.

128 posts