So who else do we need? *Post Drenthe/Pearce/Bridge*

128 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: So who else do we need? *Post Drenthe/Pearce/Bridge*

by Ian Royal » 21 Jun 2013 17:59

I'm not sure we need anyone else other than to replace any leavers. And even then, we can afford to lose either Fed or McCarthy (preferably Fed) without needing to make a signing.

This is probably the most enthusiastic I've ever been about a squad of players. They'd match up fairly well to the 106ers IMO.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 21 Jun 2013 18:04

I want a striker

I don't care if we need one or not, but there is no point in having a rich owner letting go of all his money if he doesn't waste some of it on a number 9.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 Jun 2013 18:13

Ian Royal I'm not sure we need anyone else other than to replace any leavers. And even then, we can afford to lose either Fed or McCarthy (preferably Fed) without needing to make a signing.

This is probably the most enthusiastic I've ever been about a squad of players. They'd match up fairly well to the 106ers IMO.

This. If no one leaves (and that's a very big if) i wouldn't want any other signings. People will call for a new striker, but Pog and Alfie will destroy the Championship, and we'd still have Roberts, Samuel and HRK to fill in if necessary.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jun 2013 18:15

And Blackman. :?

We've already got more players that I want to see playing than we can actually fit on the pitch at one time.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 21 Jun 2013 18:17

What about next year, if we do get promoted, will we spend anything? If we don't we'll be in the same position but with Drenthe.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Jun 2013 18:18

I think we're sorted. If anything, we need to lose players. Can't see McCleary, Federici or Leigertwood being happy to sit on the bench, can't see Cummings being prepared to be back up to a back up. Sell those four and "replace" them with academy players or nobody.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 Jun 2013 18:20

For me the toughest call is what to do with McAnuff. It seems ridiculous to leave him out but we've just signed Drenthe. HRK must be off.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 21 Jun 2013 18:23

What about a ACM who can score goals ... not sure we've got that in the team at the moment as Guthrie hasn't really shown that side.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 21 Jun 2013 18:24

From the end of last season, it looks like Adkins wants to play McAnuff centrally. HRK can provide cover for Drenthe and Kebe (which will mean coming on as a substitute a lot). It's McCleary I'm slightly concerned about, whilst he looks a reasonable player, I can't see him getting many games. Obita likewise.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 21 Jun 2013 18:31

The most intriguing thing is how Adkins will set the side up. What a contrast it's going to be from last season - we'll go from getting hammered most games to the opposition presumably parking the bus a lot of the time.

I'd like Pog, McAnuff, Legs, Gorkks and Kebe offloaded. Kelly would be a passable CB even if we have an injury mare in central defence and most other areas are looking more than adequate now, apart from another striker if Pog does go.

WLR

Re: So who else do we need? *Post Drenthe/Pearce*

by WLR » 21 Jun 2013 18:41

southbank1871 I guess we'll need another GK when McCarthy goes.

This I think would be a real shame. I would hope that Pearce staying would be down to a belief that the club have ambition. Keeping hold of McCarthy would be something of a coup if you ask me. He should be the number 1 and I would have faith that Mariappa Pearce and Morrison could actually provide a solid spine for seasons to come.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Jun 2013 19:04

I want an attacking midfielder and a striker.

The AMC as I'd like to see him bed in before we get back to the prem and I'd like to play with one when we're there.

The striker for similar reasons, not sure if Pog and Alfie are good enough for the prem.

This season gives us a great chance to have a talented team to really have a good go in the prem next time around.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Jun 2013 20:24

Archie's penalty I want an attacking midfielder and a striker.

The AMC as I'd like to see him bed in before we get back to the prem and I'd like to play with one when we're there.

The striker for similar reasons, not sure if Pog and Alfie are good enough for the prem.

This season gives us a great chance to have a talented team to really have a good go in the prem next time around.

I agree although I suspect if HRK stays to battle it out with Drenthe then McCleary (+/- Kebe if fit/here) will be on the right and Jobi will do a job in AMC position. So all we'll need will be a striker.

If HRK goes then and if Kebe goes then we'll need Jobi somewhere on the wing at some point and so we must get a Gyfiesque player.

Pog is ok but hasn't set the world alight. We're hoping he will in the chump but that's a hope. Alfie is, and always has been awesome but only really as a supersub. We won't be looking for last minute heroic McDermott supersub luck tactics anymore we're looking to build a formidable team from the outset. So I can't see him being a definite starter. And we know Blackman is a backup/ one for the future at best as he's proven zero so far.

So really we have no definite proven start able striker (assuming Roberts isn't here or fit) so we definitely need a proven starting striker in my opinion. No point spending all this money to build a great team if we remain toothless up front.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 21 Jun 2013 21:39

As we stand (and I must admit I would have been tempted to keep Shorey to cover the left), any of Hooper, Rhodes or Austin would give us a squad to die for at this level. Anton intimated that we might sign 5 more and unless we get rid of one or two, I can't see where they'd fit. If we make more quality signings, players will have to be shipped out. Hopefully, high-salary ones.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 21 Jun 2013 21:55

Ian Royal
We've already got more players that I want to see playing than we can actually fit on the pitch at one time.

Exactly this. I want to see Guthrie, Carrico, Karacan, Akpan and Leigertwood get their chances in CM, McCleary, McAnuff, HRK, Drenthe and Kebe on the wings.

JordCot

by JordCot » 21 Jun 2013 22:30

A player who is used to playing behind the striker, not just a stop gap but someone who can make it there own.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 21 Jun 2013 22:35

That's it. A top striker for this level and we should be unbeatable.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 21 Jun 2013 23:00

FridaysGhost That's it. A top striker for this level and we should be unbeatable.

Unbeatable in the Championship..... what about when we go up......?

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 21 Jun 2013 23:12

Royal Ginger For me the toughest call is what to do with McAnuff. It seems ridiculous to leave him out but we've just signed Drenthe. HRK must be off.

He can move inside, though if he does, we are still looking seriously packed in terms of players in all positions. We should not forget the likes of Obita etc as well.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 21 Jun 2013 23:21

128 posts