On a positive note - Uche Ikpeazu

260 posts
GreaterTorontoRoyal

Re: On a positive note - Uche Ikpeazu

by GreaterTorontoRoyal » 30 Jun 2013 18:13

Wasn't he nicked off QPR? Not a true loss, per se. I guess you have to half expect it when you pick other team's players.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 30 Jun 2013 18:21

SPARTA I don't understand this move at all. He was outstanding last season. He battered Chelsea and was getting rave reviews. Not earning another contract or being released, it just doesn't make sense to me. Watford have got themselves an absolute bargain, and whilst he still has it all to do in terms of developing and getting his head down, if he does he will be an exceptional striker for them and off to the Premier League in a few years for big money. He's got all the attributes to be an top striker if he works hard for it.

We offered him a new deal, but it will have been as part of the development squad, and clearly he thinks he is more big time than that now. Fair enough, he wants senior football now, but based on what I've seen (which is probably more than most on here) he's not yet good enough to get it at any level above league 2 so no surprise to see that we haven't matched Watford's promises.

As maffff says, it is a shame, but he still has a long old way to go as a footballer.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Jun 2013 18:29

winchester_royal We offered him a new deal, but it will have been as part of the development squad

It would have been pro terms too - it's basically like for like. More opportunities to develop, better coaches, easier route to the first team perhaps, closer to London (ex-QPR). No one knows for sure except Uche. But either way he's gone now and we move on.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 30 Jun 2013 18:32

maffff
winchester_royal We offered him a new deal, but it will have been as part of the development squad

It would have been pro terms too - it's basically like for like. More opportunities to develop, better coaches, easier route to the first team perhaps, closer to London (ex-QPR). No one knows for sure except Uche. But either way he's gone now and we move on.

What I mean is that we told him he'll be in our U21 squad next season, whereas Watford are involving him in their first team pre-season tour so presumably he's been promised more senior involvement there.

Given the loan constraints they are now facing it's no surprise to see them hoovering up some younger talent on cheap(ish) money that they can involve in their squad.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Jun 2013 18:35

winchester_royal
maffff

What I mean is that we told him he'll be in our U21 squad next season, whereas Watford are involving him in their first team pre-season tour so presumably he's been promised more senior involvement there.

Yeah, what I was getting at above. He'll be like what Dom Samuel was for us this year I'd imagine. Whereas for us he'd be behind him as well.. be interesting to see how he gets on. Like someone tweeted me, if honed correctly he could become a Drogba. He could equally end up being another Akinfenwa.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 30 Jun 2013 18:39

Fair enough, my bad. FTR, having seen Uche and Dom play in a few U21 games last season, Samuel is way ahead in terms of technical ability. Don't blame Uche for wanting to capitalise on his current reputation because he may well have disappeared completely next season.

Plus I think he's a Chelsea fan, so the opportunity to work with Zola would have been a big draw.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Jun 2013 18:45

winchester_royal Fair enough, my bad. FTR, having seen Uche and Dom play in a few U21 games last season, Samuel is way ahead in terms of technical ability. Don't blame Uche for wanting to capitalise on his current reputation because he may well have disappeared completely next season.

Plus I think he's a Chelsea fan, so the opportunity to work with Zola would have been a big draw.

Yp. all sounds sensible.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 30 Jun 2013 18:56

andrew1957 Hope we have him on a long contract.

Me too.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jun 2013 19:01

Strange move that is seemingly a blow to Zingarevich and his claims that the Academy is "essential part for our future development".
Last edited by sandman on 30 Jun 2013 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 30 Jun 2013 19:14

Can't work this out.

Surely Uche looks at the first team and realises there are a fair few academy products in the team, and he knows he will get a chance if he's good enough. Don't know the ins and outs but surely if we valued him enough we would of tied him down.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 30 Jun 2013 19:20

maffff, are Matt Partridge, Shane Griffin and Niall Keown all under contract?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 30 Jun 2013 19:33

sandman Strange move that is seemingly a blow to Zingarevich and his claims that the Academy is "essential part for our future development".

I would imagine someone will be getting a slap on the wrists for this at the very least.

Should have signed him up before we got to June, but the fact we didn't, when you consider how early we signed up the likes of Obita/Tshibola/Tanner, suggests we didn't think he was as valuable as other prospects..

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Jun 2013 19:37

SPARTA maffff, are Matt Partridge, Shane Griffin and Niall Keown all under contract?

No, why?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jun 2013 19:39

Obviously this is a significant loss, but I'd much rather lose Ikpeazu than Samuel. I've never actually seen Ikpeazu have a good game, but then I've not seen him play much and he obviously has had good games.

I think the scoring records of Samuel and Ikpeazu say more about Obita/Tanner/Fosu than the strikers, though not to take anything away from either striker. Hopefully next season Crossdale-Taylor will have a similarly outstanding season.

SPARTA maffff, are Matt Partridge, Shane Griffin and Niall Keown all under contract?

Partridge is a professional so yes. Griffin and Keown have both at least been offered terms, like Ikpeazu, but I don't know if they have signed- I have a feeling Keown signed a long time ago. Can't see anyone wanting to poach either full back though.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Jun 2013 19:41

Sparta -

those out of contract but offered new deals are:

Stuart Taylor, Dan Lincoln, Stuart Moore, Shane Griffin, Niall Keown, Sean Long, Matt Partridge, Lawson D'Ath, Shepherd Murombedzi, Conor Shaughnessy.... and Uche.

and possibly a few more of the academy boys they've never spoken about publicly.

Also, Ryan Edwards, Jordan Obita and Jake Taylor were all publicly announced as contracted until summer 2013 but I can't see anything about renewals for any of them.

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2013/6/2 ... ract-dates

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 30 Jun 2013 19:42

Given that Obita's training with the first team atm one would assume he's under contract, same with Taylor

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jun 2013 19:44

winchester_royal
sandman Strange move that is seemingly a blow to Zingarevich and his claims that the Academy is "essential part for our future development".

I would imagine someone will be getting a slap on the wrists for this at the very least.

Should have signed him up before we got to June, but the fact we didn't, when you consider how early we signed up the likes of Obita/Tshibola/Tanner, suggests we didn't think he was as valuable as other prospects..

Didn't he win an award from the club last season though? Strange thing to give someone you don't feel is as valuable as other players.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 30 Jun 2013 19:46

I think it would have taken the piss somewhat not to give the award of best U18 player to the guy who scored 28 goals in 29 games...

As I said, I'm sure they'll be annoyed at losing him, but at the end of the day you don't let the contract of a guy you r8 highly run down quite so easily.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jun 2013 19:50

:|

It was probably the Academy's best season ever. They could've given it to a number of players Shirley.

As you pointed out he scored 28 from 29 so unsure why they wouldn't rate him.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 30 Jun 2013 19:51

maffff

No, why?

Are they off? I''ll DM you.

260 posts