Marussia F1 link-up

209 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Marussia F1 link-up

by winchester_royal » 30 Jun 2013 16:42

cpmurph
winchester_royal It's not necessarily about attracting lifelong supporters, just about growing the brand so that 'Reading FC' as both an employer and as a commercial entity is instantly more recognisable across the globe. That's why sponsors pay so much money to have 'tiny' logos tattooed across F1 cars...

It seems to me that this a completely no-lose marketing opportunity, as well as a mechanism for sharing sports science information, which will have a number of benefits to the club. Especially given the popularity of F1 in growing economies such as India and the middle East (markets in which the club is trying to get a foothold in).

It's really all about trying to dispel the 'little old Reading' image of the club...I think it's a good idea

It's not just about trying to dispel the image, but also to dispel the actual fact.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 30 Jun 2013 16:46

It's not necrssarily about your logo being seen although it's a bonus, but about saying it can be seen

F1 and football are both massive and just being able to talk about the association creates a certain impression.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 30 Jun 2013 18:20

winchester_royal It's not necessarily about attracting lifelong supporters, just about growing the brand so that 'Reading FC' as both an employer and as a commercial entity is instantly more recognisable across the globe. That's why sponsors pay so much money to have 'tiny' logos tattooed across F1 cars...

Sponsors sell products in other countries, and advertising makes them noticed/appealing.

Football clubs can only "advertise" through results. Without those results, clubs have zero appeal to anyone. It's only support, and the number of times a club is on tv, that makes a club attractive to sponsors.

You could make the case that it'll possibly make the club more known to Marussia's sponsors (and vice-versa) but the logo is too small, and will be seen too rarely by anyone, to have too much obvious impact.

It's kind of fun, I guess, and I agree that neither side has anything to lose by it, but I stand by my claim that the benefits aren't exactly obvious.

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 30 Jun 2013 18:31

Sponsors sell products in other countries, and advertising makes them noticed/appealing.

Football clubs can only "advertise" through results. Without those results, clubs have zero appeal to anyone. It's only support, and the number of times a club is on tv, that makes a club attractive to sponsors.

You could make the case that it'll possibly make the club more known to Marussia's sponsors (and vice-versa) but the logo is too small, and will be seen too rarely by anyone, to have too much obvious impact.

It's kind of fun, I guess, and I agree that neither side has anything to lose by it, but I stand by my claim that the benefits aren't exactly obvious.

I disagree. The benefit is quite obvious.

Its just very small.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 30 Jun 2013 18:35

If the club's brand is more recognisable it will become more attractive to both players and sponsors alike. Obviously results are the most important part of any football club, but that doesn't mean we should completely ignore any other commercial avenues for growth.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 30 Jun 2013 18:58

Beat 5 people today 8)

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 30 Jun 2013 19:11

Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea or it doesn't add value is a complete moron.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jun 2013 19:14

Royal91 Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea or it doesn't add value is a complete moron.

No you don't like people disagreeing with you and quite frankly who does.

The idea's good unlike the team they're sponsoring who are shit.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2013 20:10

Raises our profile, may hook us a few extra followers, may improve our sponsorship deals.

I don't see what's to dislike. Yeah, you can argue it'd be nice to have got a bigger / better partner, but I don't see how this is going to hurt us.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 30 Jun 2013 20:34

winchester_royal a mechanism for sharing sports science information

Help me out here winch, I'm struggling to see much of a connection between football and F1

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 30 Jun 2013 20:37

sputnik

Help me out here winch, I'm struggling to see much of a connection between football and F1

F1 drivers have to be incredibly fit, so I'm sure there is information to be shared along the way. Fairly sure I read this being mentioned by one of the parties earlier on today....

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 30 Jun 2013 20:40

sputnik

You could always read the thread?

"Marussia said the partnership would see both promote the other through joint marketing initiatives (Reading FC logo on the cars, Marussia logo on the back of the Reading FC shirts), while also collaborating on fitness, nutrition and coaching programmes."

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 30 Jun 2013 20:42

Ah, that's where I read it :?

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 30 Jun 2013 21:10

ZacNaloen Murussia are one of the newest teams, and are trying to develop it's brand. Very rarely does a new team get anywhere near the top of the grid in the first 5 years.

Didn't Brawn win it in their first season recently?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 30 Jun 2013 21:20

grey_squirrel
ZacNaloen Murussia are one of the newest teams, and are trying to develop it's brand. Very rarely does a new team get anywhere near the top of the grid in the first 5 years.

Didn't Brawn win it in their first season recently?

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 30 Jun 2013 22:07

SPARTA
sputnik

You could always read the thread?

"Marussia said the partnership would see both promote the other through joint marketing initiatives (Reading FC logo on the cars, Marussia logo on the back of the Reading FC shirts), while also collaborating on fitness, nutrition and coaching programmes."

I thought the nutrition requirements of an F1 driver wouldn't be the same as that of a professional footballer, the fitness regimes would likely be different and I can't see much of a link between coaching someone how to drive a car and playing football, hence my post. Highlighting a few words doesn't help my understanding nor does suggesting I read the thread which I already have done.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 30 Jun 2013 22:13

Judge Drenthe

Although this is a great partnership. If you didn't follow football and saw that on the side of the car, bare in mind the badge isn't very visable, will it make that much difference?

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 30 Jun 2013 22:47

As an F1 fan I think the placing of our branding is actually very prominent, and knowing the type of money that you have to spend to get this (even at the back of the pack) we've probably done quite well.
Russia are investing into F1 in a big way and Marussia will get better in the next 2-3 years.
However - this is not really about F1 - it's about Russia, and making our club more attractive.
I seem to remember that this isn't actually just Anton's club, but that he is heading up a consortium ....
The EPL is the biggest league in the world, and Zenit can't join, but little RFC can. 8)
That is why this is important.

peeping bernal

by peeping bernal » 30 Jun 2013 23:12

Reading through these comments it doesnt seem that many people have grasped how big this deal is for the global brand 'Reading Football Club'.
First of all each race is viewed by over 500 million people, with every country getting the same pictures so just today that 2 or 3 seconds picture one way or another has made somebody aware of us on a global basis.
The teams do untold worldwide promotional work with the cars and this will then be seen by a new audience to our normal demographic.
If the club is looking for further investment it would be a good stage to meet this type of person as the sport attracts very rich people.
The club logo and name will appear on their website, and in turn be seen by more people than would look at just the club website.

Hopefully todays logo is short term and a more long term one is sourced for the car as the spot given a present is one of the most expensive. But best of all, our team is above QPR's team in the constructors table.

Hope this sheds a bit more light on why we have done it?

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 30 Jun 2013 23:36

sandman
Royal91 Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea or it doesn't add value is a complete moron.

No you don't like people disagreeing with you and quite frankly who does.

The idea's good unlike the team they're sponsoring who are shit.

I don't like people disagreeing where they have no logical argument.

I can't think of one reason why this is a bad idea.

209 posts