Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 Jul 2013 18:08

Royalee
LoyalRoyalFan McDermott was a fantastic manager for us, certainly more impressive than Adkins or Rodgers.

Should be a laugh bringing this post up at the end of the season when McDermott's mostly likely jobless again and the other two have excellent seasons.

You're more than willing to support the manager now it isn't McDermott..

schubert06

by schubert06 » 13 Jul 2013 03:14

I can't concede on this. It hurts. Still. That's why this thread lives on. Anton. Panicked. Dad said do sommit. Fact.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 13 Jul 2013 08:02

Good night was it Schubert? :wink:

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 13 Jul 2013 09:33

Will this thread keep running all season so McD's men can keep coming back to it if and when we lose with the "We would have won that with Brian still here" ?? time to lock this one maybe ?

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 13 Jul 2013 09:58

Please let the season start and both teams have played a few games before this debacle goes on any more. There is nothing ese that can be said at the moment, it's like trying to get blood out of a crushed stone that has turned toa single grain of bloodless sand now now.I don't know about you, but I'm off to enjoy the sunshine with my missus now and I suggest you do the same (but not with my bird, your own loved ones!) The sun has got his hat on, hip hip hip hip hooray, the sun has got his hat on and vic is going out to play. Have a nice day!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 13 Jul 2013 11:57

Is your bird fit?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Jul 2013 13:37

LoyalRoyalFan
Royalee
LoyalRoyalFan McDermott was a fantastic manager for us, certainly more impressive than Adkins or Rodgers.

Should be a laugh bringing this post up at the end of the season when McDermott's mostly likely jobless again and the other two have excellent seasons.

You're more than willing to support the manager now it isn't McDermott..

Yeah, pretty pleased now we've got a manager who likes football played the right way and actually has ambition and talks the club up in addition to spending the owner's money without going back to his old favourites.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 13 Jul 2013 20:57

Remember last summer we were close to signing Geoffrey Kondogbia. Brian scouted him in a game for France under 21s and said we were no longer interested. Assuming he thought Ledge was a better option. He then signs for Sevilla and is now linked with Arsenal. :roll:

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 15 Jul 2013 22:10

maffff Is your bird fit?

She's got the best tits in and sexiest smile in England and she moved forty miles to be with be; and is now a devouted Royal mate.

Oh shit, she's just walked back in the room so I better return to the subject.

Now that our Portuguese wonder star has gone back home, something else to add to this saga is that McDermott had a habit of buying injury prone players (Roberts - who I think is fantastic when he is well- Tabb, Corrinjuryo etc.

Does this add a little more weight to the Nigel side (no, not my girls tits,they are more like McDermott and Harry Hill's heads coming out of a 2 man bobsleigh without their helmets on) but some of Mcdermott's lack of foresight?

I know that BmcD also made some great signings too, and no one can predict the future etc, but we can use hindsight and recent information etc.

Ok, back to my birds tits for now. Hmm, left or right, or just go in the middle? Why is this such a difficult world...

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 16 Jul 2013 09:55

So you are single then.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 16 Jul 2013 14:42

Some interesting comments given by McDermott in an interview with the Yorkshire Evening Post..

“At Reading we sold Gylfi Sigurdsson, a massively gifted player, for a load of money to Germany. That was hard –hard for me – but it kept the place going and it kept us in the black. So we built again. Then we got to a play-off final and we lost Shane Long, Zurab Khizanishvili and Matt Mills, £10million worth of talent. Then we built again and won the league.

“Was I happy with that? Quite frankly I’d like to be keeping all my players but you have to be mindful of the club and their circumstances. And as that period at Reading proves, balancing the books isn’t a barrier to success."

“I had Jimmy Kebe at Reading. When I got the job he wasn’t a fans’ favourite but he turned himself into a fans’ favourite and became a terrific asset. It got to the point where if Jimmy wasn’t fit or able to play, it was seen as a bonus for the opposition. You just never know."

“Reading are happy with the manager they’ve got and I hope Leeds are happy with the manager they’ve got,” McDermott says. “I don’t see the need for either of us to dwell on it any longer. I’m loving working here, absolutely loving it.

“I’ll never say a bad word about Reading because I was there for 13 years and had a lot of success in different jobs. I’m not going to rewrite history. It was a fantastic part of my life. I’ve no problem with the owner, honestly I haven’t. I said to him that we’ll always be friends because we won a championship together. That’s how I feel.

“I got a really nice text from Anton when I went to Leeds. That tells you something. They decided to go in a different direction and at the time that was difficult for me to accept. But when I step back now, I’ve actually got no problem with that. They went their own way just as Leeds did with me."

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 16 Jul 2013 14:44

What a fucking cunt.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 16 Jul 2013 14:46

LoyalRoyal22 Remember last summer we were close to signing Geoffrey Kondogbia. Brian scouted him in a game for France under 21s and said we were no longer interested. Assuming he thought Ledge was a better option. He then signs for Sevilla and is now linked with Arsenal. :roll:

:|

Can Brian see into the future?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Jul 2013 14:50

Remember last summer we were close to signing Geoffrey Kondogbia. Brian scouted him in a game for France under 21s and said we were no longer interested.

maybe he played really badly in that game
maybe he chatted to him and he said hed rather die than come to reading
maybe the club asked for more money than we had

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 16 Jul 2013 14:53

LoyalRoyalFan

“Reading are happy with the manager they’ve got and I hope Leeds are happy with the manager they’ve got,” McDermott says. “I don’t see the need for either of us to dwell on it any longer.

Well said Brian, wish to god some nobbers would take that comment on board

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Jul 2013 14:55

LoyalRoyalFan
LoyalRoyal22 Remember last summer we were close to signing Geoffrey Kondogbia. Brian scouted him in a game for France under 21s and said we were no longer interested. Assuming he thought Ledge was a better option. He then signs for Sevilla and is now linked with Arsenal. :roll:

It is kind of the job when you're scouting players and coming to a decision on how they'd perform for you.

No scout/manager will get it right all the time of course, and as bendy says, there are lots of reasons why he might not've been a good fit for us at the time.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 16 Jul 2013 15:01

Hoop Blah
LoyalRoyalFan

It is kind of the job when you're scouting players and coming to a decision on how they'd perform for you.

No scout/manager will get it right all the time of course, and as bendy says, there are lots of reasons why he might not've been a good fit for us at the time.

I think LoyalRoyal22 might need to define HOW close we were to signing said player.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Jul 2013 15:03

melonhead
Remember last summer we were close to signing Geoffrey Kondogbia. Brian scouted him in a game for France under 21s and said we were no longer interested.

maybe he played really badly in that game
maybe he chatted to him and he said hed rather die than come to reading
maybe the club asked for more money than we had

Add:

Maybe Kondogbia thought former UEFA cup winners Sevilla the were more of an attractive prospect than Reading.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Jul 2013 15:12

maybe he was sat there scouting, next to scouts from across the world, saw him play, realised he was way too good to want to come to reading, and went home

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jul 2013 17:48

LoyalRoyalFan Some interesting comments given by McDermott in an interview with the Yorkshire Evening Post..

“At Reading we sold Gylfi Sigurdsson, a massively gifted player, for a load of money to Germany. That was hard –hard for me – but it kept the place going and it kept us in the black. So we built again. Then we got to a play-off final and we lost Shane Long, Zurab Khizanishvili and Matt Mills, £10million worth of talent. Then we built again and won the league.

“Was I happy with that? Quite frankly I’d like to be keeping all my players but you have to be mindful of the club and their circumstances. And as that period at Reading proves, balancing the books isn’t a barrier to success."

“I had Jimmy Kebe at Reading. When I got the job he wasn’t a fans’ favourite but he turned himself into a fans’ favourite and became a terrific asset. It got to the point where if Jimmy wasn’t fit or able to play, it was seen as a bonus for the opposition. You just never know."

“Reading are happy with the manager they’ve got and I hope Leeds are happy with the manager they’ve got,” McDermott says. “I don’t see the need for either of us to dwell on it any longer. I’m loving working here, absolutely loving it.

“I’ll never say a bad word about Reading because I was there for 13 years and had a lot of success in different jobs. I’m not going to rewrite history. It was a fantastic part of my life. I’ve no problem with the owner, honestly I haven’t. I said to him that we’ll always be friends because we won a championship together. That’s how I feel.

“I got a really nice text from Anton when I went to Leeds. That tells you something. They decided to go in a different direction and at the time that was difficult for me to accept. But when I step back now, I’ve actually got no problem with that. They went their own way just as Leeds did with me."

Nice interview. Glad he's got no hard feelings and understands why the decision was made.

I suspect like his experiences at Slough, he'll learn from what went wrong with us and find himself a better manager than before. Although he'll be hard pressed to match his success with us IMO.

3714 posts