Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by windermere_royal » 19 Jul 2013 18:22

Royal91
westongeezer Why?

Is this still being discussed!

Because new stories keep coming about his limitations as a manager and we are interested in the signings he is making and the apparent new footballing philosophy he wants to install in Leeds.

Then it should be moved to general football, this is the team (our team) section

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Jul 2013 18:40

Brian McDermott gave over a decade of service to this club in various roles and had a lot of success in all of them. He overachieved to get us promoted and was not given enough financial support to improve his squad sufficiently last summer. He did not solely "Oxford up" as people on here who are so eager to lay all the blame at the managers feet (as per usual) claim.

Why we need all this character assignation and nasty little digs about a supposed "style" I don't know. He should be celebrated as one of our two best managers ever not maligned by spoilt little plastic brats like Royal91.

Lets see how Jem Karacan does when the pressure is on rather than the week after you've been relegated and that pressure is off.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 19 Jul 2013 19:22

I don't understand how BMcD plans on making Leeds the 'best passing side in the league' when he keeps signing players from the hoofball days of RFC. Didn't the whole Mills finger business come about from the crowd getting pissed off with the constant long ball hoofs out to Kebe?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Jul 2013 19:24

Y21 I don't understand how BMcD plans on making Leeds the 'best passing side in the league' when he keeps signing players from the hoofball days of RFC. Didn't the whole Mills finger business come about from the crowd getting pissed off with the constant long ball hoofs out to Kebe?

He was doing that on instruction, it was clearly a tactic, probably why he got pissed off.

Playing vs ten men and we were just lumping it from the back 4 up to the final third and mostly kicking it straight out of play. No wonder the fans were getting pissed off.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 19 Jul 2013 19:45

sandman Brian McDermott gave over a decade of service to this club in various roles and had a lot of success in all of them. He overachieved to get us promoted and was not given enough financial support to improve his squad sufficiently last summer...

Which in hindsight was a good thing, because he mis-managed his so called big name signings, and he fell-out with a number of his experienced players. He/we did overachieve to get promotion, but he was well out of his depth in the top flight, and whilst he kept telling us he was learning all the time, he clearly wasn't; or if he was he certainly didn't apply it in training or match-days.

I'm fond of the guy, but I'm glad he's gone. It's was right for both parties at the time. I wish him well, but he is a rival now and any jokes/banter/fun poking at him or Leeds is fair game within reason.

GENERAL FOOTBALL please mods.

Cypry

by Cypry » 19 Jul 2013 20:06

sandman Brian McDermott gave over a decade of service to this club in various roles and had a lot of success in all of them. He overachieved to get us promoted and was not given enough financial support to improve his squad sufficiently last summer. He did not solely "Oxford up" as people on here who are so eager to lay all the blame at the managers feet (as per usual) claim.

Why we need all this character assignation and nasty little digs about a supposed "style" I don't know. He should be celebrated as one of our two best managers ever not maligned by spoilt little plastic brats like Royal91.

Lets see how Jem Karacan does when the pressure is on rather than the week after you've been relegated and that pressure is off.

And therein is the point - you state that he wasn't given funds as a fact, but I've been told from more than one source that AZ wanted him to spend money, but Brian was happy with what he had. In January he undoubtably had money, but focused too heavily on Gylfi, and left it too late to go to a plan B when that deal fell through late in the day.

It was his failure to spend the funds he had available that ultimately led to his downfall....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jul 2013 00:30

sandman Brian McDermott gave over a decade of service to this club in various roles and had a lot of success in all of them. He overachieved to get us promoted and was not given enough financial support to improve his squad sufficiently last summer. He did not solely "Oxford up" as people on here who are so eager to lay all the blame at the managers feet (as per usual) claim.

He IS celebrated as our current second most successful manager. He's respected and loved for all the good work he did. But that doesn't mean the bad final season gets quietly swept under the carpet and ignored. It also doesn't mean you should pretend you liked his style if you didn't. Fair enough when it works, little grumbling. When it doesn't then it's going to get called.

Criticism of his mistakes, which are most recent, do not invalidate everything else.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Jul 2013 17:52

He was given plenty of financial support last summer, he just chose not to use it as has been mentioned by Anton in the press several times. Also, the financial support he did use he wasted where he benched half his signings or used them incorrectly. Nothing against Brian - great servant to the club and all that, but the club have been good to him too and it was time for him to move on.

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 20 Jul 2013 18:14

Leeds receiving criticism for their most recent friendly for being too direct and one dimensional. I can't believe that..

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Jul 2013 19:52

Judge Drenthe Leeds receiving criticism for their most recent friendly for being too direct and one dimensional. I can't believe that..

Before knocking his style of football let's see if our new passing game works. Little sign of it working in the last 10 matches of last season in terms of getting points.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jul 2013 20:10

Man Friday
Judge Drenthe Leeds receiving criticism for their most recent friendly for being too direct and one dimensional. I can't believe that..

Before knocking his style of football let's see if our new passing game works. Little sign of it working in the last 10 matches of last season in terms of getting points.

Plenty of signs of improvement in those matches.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Jul 2013 20:15

Ian Royal
Man Friday

Which is why I used those last 5 words - so the assessment is more "outcome-based" / effectiveness-based" / "evidence-based", or to summarise all three...objective. I saw the Southampton game and that was far, far worse than anything seen all season. 5-0 would have been a fairer reflection.

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 20 Jul 2013 21:01

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Jul 2013 22:52

Man Friday Which is why I used those last 5 words - so the assessment is more "outcome-based" / effectiveness-based" / "evidence-based", or to summarise all three...objective. I saw the Southampton game and that was far, far worse than anything seen all season. 5-0 would have been a fairer reflection.

You choose a game where we got beaten by a team playing passing football (and have been doing so for the last 3 years) as an example to knock our attempts at turning into a team that plays passing football?

Interesting

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jul 2013 23:38

Man Friday
Ian Royal
Man Friday Before knocking his style of football let's see if our new passing game works. Little sign of it working in the last 10 matches of last season in terms of getting points.

Which is why I used those last 5 words - so the assessment is more "outcome-based" / effectiveness-based" / "evidence-based", or to summarise all three...objective. I saw the Southampton game and that was far, far worse than anything seen all season. 5-0 would have been a fairer reflection.

Disagree on it being worse than anything else that season. I'd actually say we looked good against Saints in the first 15 minutes or so and were pushing them hard. They scored, a little against the run of play, with about their second attack and heads went down. Morale hit rock bottom at that point and we got trounced for the rest of the game.

But what came after was a progressive improvement. Until West Ham, but that was a dead rub of game, with some clear line up experimentation, against a team desperate to get one over on us finally. Results don't tell you everything. They're all that matter for that season, but our season was already over so they're less meaningfull for what we are trying to achieve now.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Jul 2013 23:56

let's just see shall we.

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 21 Jul 2013 09:45

Leeds fans honeymoon period with BM now over and they're getting very frustrated already. Moaning about the lump it forward forward, no width (they have one winger according to BM) and then BM admits they may have to sell if they want to buy. Walsall played them off the park yesterday, and their fans are now starting to realise they're a mid-table side at best this season. It's kinda beautiful to read. :D

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 22 Jul 2013 10:54

Judge Drenthe Leeds fans honeymoon period with BM now over and they're getting very frustrated already. Moaning about the lump it forward forward, no width (they have one winger according to BM) and then BM admits they may have to sell if they want to buy. Walsall played them off the park yesterday, and their fans are now starting to realise they're a mid-table side at best this season. It's kinda beautiful to read. :D

Can you put some quotes on here? These would make my Monday easier. ;)

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Jul 2013 11:14

My reading of it is that they aren't criticising BMac though - they accept his hands are tied as their new board needs to sell before they buy.
They have huge amounts of dead/rotten wood to shift.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Jul 2013 11:29

Platypuss My reading of it is that they aren't criticising BMac though - they accept his hands are tied as their new board needs to sell before they buy.
They have huge amounts of dead/rotten wood to shift.

Sounds a bit familiar doesn't it?

A set of fans blaming the poor quality of the tools for the way the craftsman uses them? Did we see a change in how those tools could actually be used under a different craftsman at the end of last season?

3714 posts