Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by LoyalRoyalFan » 29 Jul 2013 14:18

sandman Here's a fun Monday morning fact:

Nigel Adkins has a Premier League relegation on his CV whilst Brian McDermott does not.

Monday morning facts are sponsored by Ian Royal and his Reading Player subscription.

Another one to the list:

Adkins hasn't seen a home goal since he took charge. Nor a win.

Rodgers got sacked for less.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 29 Jul 2013 14:21

I`m pretty sure Nigel is having plenty of sleepless nights worrying about what you lot think of him. :D
Last edited by windermere_royal on 29 Jul 2013 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Jul 2013 14:30

D'ya really think so? That's nice.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 29 Jul 2013 14:46

No

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Jul 2013 14:55

sandman Nigel Adkins has a Premier League relegation on his CV whilst Brian McDermott does not.

:shock: Adkins out!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Jul 2013 15:08

Sanguine
Woodcote Royal
Sanguine Adkins, Adkins, Adkins, W@nk,W@nk, W@nk!!!

:|

Just saw improved style of football in the last few games of last season, and looking forward to the new one with some quality additions to the squad.

Meanwhile, some of us can't help wondering what response would be forthcoming from Adkin's fan club had McDermott taken this long to produce a goal for home fans.

If placing a higher priority on scoring goals and winning matches than wearing out grass with passes that create the square route of fcuk all, makes makes me a paid up member of the twat factor, so be it.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 29 Jul 2013 15:21, edited 2 times in total.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 29 Jul 2013 15:16

Nobody is twisting your arm to go and watch it buster

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 29 Jul 2013 15:23

If placing a higher priority on scoring goals and winning matches than waring out grass with passes that create the square route of fcuk all, makes makes me a paid up member of the twat factor, so be it.[/quote]

yeah would much prefer watching donkey football again.
I would much prefer to watch a 0-0 at home against a prem team cos we try to play football, than getting d*cked all over the park by playing league 2 stuff.

I think you will be eating your words when we start cutting people apart with proper football.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jul 2013 15:26

Woodcote Royal Meanwhile, some of us can't help wondering what response would be forthcoming from Adkin's fan club had McDermott taken this long to produce a goal for home fans.

If placing a higher priority on scoring goals and winning matches than waring out grass with passes that create the square route of fcuk all, makes makes me a paid up member of the twat factor, so be it.

This long? 4 games, one of them against the defending Champions who I think ended the season with the best defensive record and most clean sheets, and one against a Liverpool side who finished the season very strongly.

Adkins, like Rodger before him, is trying to evolve the teams style of play. He came into the club and had to deal with a squad at rock bottom who's previous two home games had resulted in 0 goals scored by a Reading player too (those two games were against the woefully out of form Villa and a poor Wigan side who stuffed us 3-0).

Adkins job is still massive but he at least appears to have resources to make changes. Those changes need to take effect pretty damn quickly if we're to make a significant challenge to go straight back up, but to worry about not scoring in 4 homes games with limited time with the squad is, frankly, just daft.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Jul 2013 15:33

windermere_royal Nobody is twisting your arm to go and watch it buster

Only the real twat factor here are stupid enough to believe that pretty football, from a squad already stronger than the one we had in the top flight, would be allowed to compensate for poor results for very long.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 29 Jul 2013 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 29 Jul 2013 15:36

Harrydog
yeah would much prefer watching donkey football again.
I would much prefer to watch a 0-0 at home against a prem team cos we try to play football, than getting d*cked all over the park by playing league 2 stuff.

I think you will be eating your words when we start cutting people apart with proper football.

'Proper football'

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Jul 2013 15:39

It's almost as if people would rather see us lose just to win a dickfight on a loser forum.

Go figure.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Jul 2013 15:42

Hoop Blah
Woodcote Royal Meanwhile, some of us can't help wondering what response would be forthcoming from Adkin's fan club had McDermott taken this long to produce a goal for home fans.

If placing a higher priority on scoring goals and winning matches than waring out grass with passes that create the square route of fcuk all, makes makes me a paid up member of the twat factor, so be it.

This long? 4 games, one of them against the defending Champions who I think ended the season with the best defensive record and most clean sheets, and one against a Liverpool side who finished the season very strongly.

Adkins, like Rodger before him, is trying to evolve the teams style of play. He came into the club and had to deal with a squad at rock bottom who's previous two home games had resulted in 0 goals scored by a Reading player too (those two games were against the woefully out of form Villa and a poor Wigan side who stuffed us 3-0).

Adkins job is still massive but he at least appears to have resources to make changes. Those changes need to take effect pretty damn quickly if we're to make a significant challenge to go straight back up, but to worry about not scoring in 4 homes games with limited time with the squad is, frankly, just daft.

My point is that Adkins fan club would have been dishing out huge stick to McDermott had he produced these results.

This squad should be far too strong for most of the Championship and whilst I agree he has time to get things right, the lack of creativity and goals so far is a poor start from him.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jul 2013 15:49

Personally I think you're talking rubbish just to get a rise out of the 'Adkins fan club'.

I don't think any of those people you're talking about would've been giving McDermott stick for the same results in the same situtation. Would they have been giving McDermott stick for the same results had he still been in charge and operating in the same way he had been for the 3-6 months before he got the sack? Yes, no doubt they would be.

The difference being of course that it was 100% McDermotts team playing in the way he'd got them, intentionally or not, to play. The results were the culmination of his squad building and his management. Those 4 home games without a goal under Adkins were the result of some new thinking being coached into a different mans squad.

It's totally different and a pointless comparison, much like the rest of this thread.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Jul 2013 16:07

Out of interest, why does supporting the manager single one out for vilification?

- ha ha, you backed Adkins and we LOST! You f/cking idiot!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Jul 2013 16:08

I'm certainly having a dig at those claiming to be impartial when this is clearly not the case.

Adkins has had long enough to be producing more from the squad at his disposal. This includes what is now an entire close season following on from the back end of our failed Premiership campaign.

Brian McDermott and nearly every other manager in this division can only dream of having a squad like ours yet he still hasn't found a way to get it to score at home or beat either club from Bristol :| That's an effing poor summer in my book and he's got 5 days to get this Premiership squad performing like Championship favourites or, face playing catch up in a division we should be taking by storm.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Jul 2013 16:27

Much as I'll defend Brian against the massed haters on here, I can't believe anybody can get stuck into Adkins already.

Madness.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Jul 2013 16:31

Woodcote Royal I'm certainly having a dig at those claiming to be impartial when this is clearly not the case.

Adkins has had long enough to be producing more from the squad at his disposal. This includes what is now an entire close season following on from the back end of our failed Premiership campaign.

Brian McDermott and nearly every other manager in this division can only dream of having a squad like ours yet he still hasn't found a way to get it to score at home or beat either club from Bristol :| That's an effing poor summer in my book and he's got 5 days to get this Premiership squad performing like Championship favourites or, face playing catch up in a division we should be taking by storm.

Split the starting 11 over three games in a variety of formations playing subs out of position to get the fitness up.

While I can appreciate that with little else to go on, the summer games might cause concern but not sure many managers get sacked for their results during pre-season.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 29 Jul 2013 16:39

I'm just saying it's not a great start given the strength of his squad.........................I don't want him sacked.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jul 2013 16:48

Woodcote, are you seriously having a pop at Adkins for the results over a few games in pre-season?

3714 posts