Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Woodcote Royal » 22 Aug 2013 00:42

Hoop Blah
Woodcote Royal
Hoop Blah The most ridiculous thing I've read on here recently is Woodcote laying into the manager for a bunch of pre-season performances and not far off calling for his because of them! Wind up merchant or not it beggars belief.

In which case you need to go back to school.

I've never asked for Adkin's head (and have said many times I believe we are lucky to have him given how his predecessor was treated) but with a very average pre-season and 2? league wins under his belt, so far he's done jack sh*t to show he's as good as McDermott let alone being superior.

McDermott knew the priority was to find away to win matches and his teams always over achieved across the season. He did that from the get go despite losing his best players to balance the books. Even with the best squad we've ever had in the Championship plus a whole pre-season on top of the final eight games in the top flight, Adkins still isn't close to performing that balancing act.

We all love watching pretty football but only gaining promotion by winning matches provides the finances to make this more than a pipe dream. It is by this yard stick that Adkins performance should be judged and losing a 2-0 lead and therefore 2pts, especially given the resources at his disposal, means he needs to up his game.

It's this kind of rubbish that keeps this thread alive.

McDermott didn't always over achieve, anyone who witnessed last season should be more than aware of that.

Adkins tenure isn't a competition to see if he can prove he's better than McDermott, their spells are at the same club but with different aims and ideals to cater for. We are no longer looking to be happy gate crashers at the big boys party and willing to make do with functional and ultimately limited football. We are now building for the future after our last manager, as successful at what he did and loveable he may have been, proved he'd lost his way. At some point the damage becomes irreparable and a fresh voice and approach needs to come in. That's where we'd gotten too. The wounds of being so far out of our depth last season cut too deep and a change was needed.

That doesn't leave some bitter battle for bragging rights between Adkins and McDermott, it just leaves Reading fans lucky enough to be watching their club on the next stage of an interesting journey of progression.

As for calling for his head, I didn't say you did, but your lambasting of what he'd achieved after failing to put the two Bristol sides to the sword in meaningless friendly games was, in my opinion, just plain daft.

It's Pro Adkins nonsense like this that has seen this thread take on a life of it's own.

If McDermott's squad didn't over achieve in last season's top flight, WTF does that say about Adkins performance so far in the Championship with a significantly superior one :|

And how about this for some total bollox?
Hoop Blah Adkins tenure isn't a competition to see if he can prove he's better than McDermott
:P
So, McDermott wasn't sacked because Mr Ambramovichwannabee felt we needed someone better and, if Adkins turns out to be worse, that's OK :|
If there's one thing we should all be able to agree about it's surely that we are pig sick of being top flight whipping boys.

However, so far, McDermott's approach is more likely to bring that to an end than Adkin's. Pretty football is worth jack sh"t if it doesn't produce the wins that result in promotion that secures the revenue to finance the kind of team we all want to watch.

Adkin's team is being financed by parachute payments secured by those who over achieved under McDermott and, if he wants to justify his appointment, he will need to get this excellent squad performing close to it's potential in the near future or suffer the consequences.

McDermott wasn't sacked so we could lose to both Bristols inside a week (even if they were just friendlies) and be looked down upon by Bournemouth.............................Adkin's fan club are going to be sorely disappointed if they think this is the case.

He's a good manager with the best squad in this clubs' very long history and they will expect that to be reflected in results this season.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 22 Aug 2013 05:53

Best start to a season since 05/06.

It remains to be seen if we have the best squad, personally I believe Wigans is as good.

We still have a few problem areas, mainly the forwards, with Pog seeming disinterested, think Rasiak, and Roberts long term injured.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Aug 2013 09:07

Woodcote is taking stupidity to a whole new level here...this discussion can't really be had after 3 competitive matches (in which we are unbeaten). And to include friendlies as a barometer of performance is just idiotic.

On a personal note, I am enjoying the games much more under Adkins than I did under McD, and I include the promotion season in that, and what also has to be remembered that outside of Southampton and West Ham that season the league wasn't particularly strong. This season it appears that there are going to be at least 6 genuine contenders for the auto places and others are throwing more money at it than us....

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Aug 2013 09:19

Wycombe Royal Woodcote is taking stupidity to a whole new level here..

And his Personal Best was already pretty damn impressive beforehand.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Aug 2013 09:52

Harpers So Solid Crew It remains to be seen if we have the best squad, personally I believe Wigans is as good.

I'd say theirs is better. Although a loss to Bournemouth and a draw with Donny [should have been a loss] will give them a nice reality check. Hopefully heads go down now.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 22 Aug 2013 10:34

Hoop Blah
Woodcote Royal
Hoop Blah The most ridiculous thing I've read on here recently is Woodcote laying into the manager for a bunch of pre-season performances and not far off calling for his because of them! Wind up merchant or not it beggars belief.

In which case you need to go back to school.

I've never asked for Adkin's head (and have said many times I believe we are lucky to have him given how his predecessor was treated) but with a very average pre-season and 2? league wins under his belt, so far he's done jack sh*t to show he's as good as McDermott let alone being superior.

McDermott knew the priority was to find away to win matches and his teams always over achieved across the season. He did that from the get go despite losing his best players to balance the books. Even with the best squad we've ever had in the Championship plus a whole pre-season on top of the final eight games in the top flight, Adkins still isn't close to performing that balancing act.

We all love watching pretty football but only gaining promotion by winning matches provides the finances to make this more than a pipe dream. It is by this yard stick that Adkins performance should be judged and losing a 2-0 lead and therefore 2pts, especially given the resources at his disposal, means he needs to up his game.

It's this kind of rubbish that keeps this thread alive.

McDermott didn't always over achieve, anyone who witnessed last season should be more than aware of that.

Adkins tenure isn't a competition to see if he can prove he's better than McDermott, their spells are at the same club but with different aims and ideals to cater for. We are no longer looking to be happy gate crashers at the big boys party and willing to make do with functional and ultimately limited football. We are now building for the future after our last manager, as successful at what he did and loveable he may have been, proved he'd lost his way. At some point the damage becomes irreparable and a fresh voice and approach needs to come in. That's where we'd gotten too. The wounds of being so far out of our depth last season cut too deep and a change was needed.

That doesn't leave some bitter battle for bragging rights between Adkins and McDermott, it just leaves Reading fans lucky enough to be watching their club on the next stage of an interesting journey of progression.

As for calling for his head, I didn't say you did, but your lambasting of what he'd achieved after failing to put the two Bristol sides to the sword in meaningless friendly games was, in my opinion, just plain daft.

Amen!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Aug 2013 11:08

Woodcote Royal It's Pro Adkins nonsense like this that has seen this thread take on a life of it's own.

I'm not pro or anti anyone, I'm just a Reading fan who wants to see the club progressing towards being the best it can be on and off the pitch and where I can, hopefully, be entertained by what I go along to see on a Saturday afternoon.

Woodcote Royal If McDermott's squad didn't over achieve in last season's top flight, WTF does that say about Adkins performance so far in the Championship with a significantly superior one :|

You can't judge a squads or managers performance over the first 3 games of a 46 game season you plum! McDermott's side were dead and buried far too early in the season and he failed to get the best out of pretty much all of his squad. Unfortunately that isn't over achieving and McDermott, like any manager before him, ended up paying the price of his sides failings over 30 odd games last season.

Woodcote Royal And how about this for some total bollox?
Hoop Blah Adkins tenure isn't a competition to see if he can prove he's better than McDermott
:P
So, McDermott wasn't sacked because Mr Ambramovichwannabee felt we needed someone better and, if Adkins turns out to be worse, that's OK :|
If there's one thing we should all be able to agree about it's surely that we are pig sick of being top flight whipping boys.

Most importantly he felt we needed someone DIFFERENT for where we needed to go. It's horses for courses.

McDermott was perfect for picking up the pieces from the failed experiment of Rodgers time and he did a great job for us with the club as it was. We're looking for something different now and so it's not a like for like comparison so it isn't a competition in the same way as comparing Maurice Evans or Charlie Hurley with Pardew and Coppell is equally daft.

Woodcote Royal However, so far, McDermott's approach is more likely to bring that to an end than Adkin's. Pretty football is worth jack sh"t if it doesn't produce the wins that result in promotion that secures the revenue to finance the kind of team we all want to watch.

To make any judgement at this early stage is pointless, and as said above our start has been pretty good so I've no idea how you think you can back up that statement.

If you want to make futile comparisons though, when McDermott took us up in 11/12, by this stage we'd drawn with Millwall at home, won away at Leicester and got beaten by an eventually relegated Portsmouth side.

Woodcote Royal Adkin's team is being financed by parachute payments secured by those who over achieved under McDermott and, if he wants to justify his appointment, he will need to get this excellent squad performing close to it's potential in the near future or suffer the consequences.

We had one of the best sqauds in the league, and added in Roberts in January to top that off. We had one of the top wage bills and spent a decent amount putting that squad together. Securing promotion wasn't such an over achievement as many try to make out. We actually had a pretty good squad!

Woodcote Royal McDermott wasn't sacked so we could lose to both Bristols inside a week (even if they were just friendlies) and be looked down upon by Bournemouth.............................Adkin's fan club are going to be sorely disappointed if they think this is the case.

He's a good manager with the best squad in this clubs' very long history and they will expect that to be reflected in results this season.

Best squad? This squad isn't as good, yet, as the one Coppell won the league with and could quite easily have qualified for European football with.

Yes Adkins is under pressure to deliver a promotion this season with the resources at his disposal but the idea that he's under pressure because of a couple of friendly results and Bournmouth being one point above us 3 games into the season is obviously a little mental.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Aug 2013 11:15

maffff
Harpers So Solid Crew It remains to be seen if we have the best squad, personally I believe Wigans is as good.

I'd say theirs is better. Although a loss to Bournemouth and a draw with Donny [should have been a loss] will give them a nice reality check. Hopefully heads go down now.

I'd agree with that.

The likes of Bolton, Forest and Watford have pretty decent squads too, and they have the advantage that we've had in the past that they're squads who are pretty well developed and, collectively, know what they're doing at this level.

QPR have a squad full of quality players and great pedigree too. Obviously they have a few issues for their management to address as well though.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 23 Aug 2013 09:28

Watford and Forest have great squads.

We have a decent squad but desperately need a striker.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 23 Aug 2013 10:11

every year some genius comes on here either doomsaying or telling us how some other squad is amazing. We're usually in the mix at the end of the season

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Aug 2013 13:45

Wait, we've gotten off to a good start haven't we?

Confused.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Aug 2013 17:11

Extended-Phenotype Wait, we've gotten off to a good start haven't we?

Confused.

Not according to Woodcote.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Aug 2013 17:33

But according to reality?

I think reality is probably a better gauge.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 23 Aug 2013 18:02

Extended-Phenotype But according to reality?

I think reality is probably a better gauge.

Reality doesn't figure in Woodcote's world....

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Aug 2013 18:18

Why is this thread still going? Should have been deleted weeks ago. Move on FFS and embrace the new regime.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Aug 2013 18:40

Don't post and it will go away. Post and keep attacking McDermott, one of our most successful managers, then people will be forced to defend him.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 23 Aug 2013 20:05

What the McDermott h8rs don't realise is that if he was given the same support as Adkins has, then we would be as good as promoted already.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 23 Aug 2013 21:02

Bandini What the McDermott h8rs don't realise is that if he was given the same support as Adkins has, then we would be as good as promoted already.

I nearly spat my cider out with laughter. Have you got anymore jokes?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Aug 2013 22:01

Bandini What the McDermott h8rs don't realise is that if he was given the same support as Adkins has, then we would be as good as promoted already.

Based on what?

Absolute crap - he had backing and he didn't make the most of it. By the time we parted company he had completely lost the plot and he would have no more found it again than Coppell did. What's more, regardless of where we finish, I'm pretty sure that I am going to enjoy the football far more than I would have done had McDermott remained.

McDermott did magic for us but sadly all our competitors seemed to have worked out how he did the trick!

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 23 Aug 2013 22:08

Oh FFS sake, I'm not one to resort to expletives easily but how many times can the same things be said, over and over again? Why not put this to bed now until the end of the season when maybe, just maybe,it might be appropriate and possible to try to make some comparisons? For the sake of all our sanity.

3714 posts