2013 Summer Transfer Window

801 posts
Z175
Hob Nob Regular

Re: 2013 Summer Transfer Window

by Z175 » 30 Aug 2013 11:11

DOYLERSAROYALER quote from Get Reading .."Adkins has seen targets move elsewhere and admits deals he thought were concluded, have fallen through at the last minute."

how many times have we seen that happen .???.maybe Squeaky should be asked what's going on with the transfer activity as he is the common demonator....

Obviously our offer to take Hooper / Austin on frees wasn't as acceptable to Celtic and Burnley as with random relegated Russian clubs...

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Aug 2013 11:35

DOYLERSAROYALER quote from Get Reading .."Adkins has seen targets move elsewhere and admits deals he thought were concluded, have fallen through at the last minute."

how many times have we seen that happen .???.maybe Squeaky should be asked what's going on with the transfer activity as he is the common demonator....

squeakys job is to ensure we buy players at or below our valuation of them, without breaking our wage structure significantly, and who will have a good resale value when they leave.

he does this brilliantly, and ensures we manage to maintain an even financial keel.

sometimes this results in us losing players because other teams are willing and able to pay what we are not

im happy with this

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 30 Aug 2013 11:46

melonhead

squeakys job is to ensure we buy players at or below our valuation of them, without breaking our wage structure significantly, and who will have a good resale value when they leave.

he does this brilliantly, and ensures we manage to maintain an even financial keel.

sometimes this results in us losing players because other teams are willing and able to pay what we are not

im happy with this

+1 I don't always agree with you on some issues, but on this you are spot on. There are far too many Reading FC 'fans' who think the real world of football is like Football Manager. You agree a fee with a club and then terms with the player, and that's it job done. If we don't agree fee/terms then it is down to a 'lack of ambition', 'penny pinching' or 'Anton is a fraud with no money'. In an ideal world we could sign whoever we wanted at whatever weekly wage, but you can't even do that on FM without a cheat. Numerous voices on here wanted us to bid £4/5/6M over the summer on various players, we had no ambition because we didn't, not withstanding a 3 year contract on say £20k a week would mean an additional £3M the club would have to find. Then there's the issue of how does paying this new player £40k a week affect the rest of the squad on £20k a week, oh that's the manager's job you say. We have signed a few duffers in the time I have followed Reading but all in all I think Hammond has done a very good job.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Aug 2013 11:57

i believe the list of duffers for alex ferguson at UTD is also quite a significant one, especiallyin fees and wages.
everyone gets transfers wrong. they are hard to get right. and its also almost impossible to get a true idea of the man behind the transfer fee before you get them in and work with them on a daily basis.
they may say all the right things at interview, then turn into a right arrogant lazy bastard when they get to you.

the main thing i h8 is people demanding we behave like a basket case business, blowing loads of money we dont have on the mad premise that it "guarantees promotion"

they never really have an answer when you say - but what if we didnt go up...
when gambling your thinking should always be about not just the potential reward if you win, but whether you can cope financially if you lose on your gamble.

just because the lottery gives you millions as a return, doesnt mean its a good idea to suddenly start buying 100,000 tickets a week, etc

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 30 Aug 2013 12:01

+1 I don't always agree with you on some issues, but on this you are spot on. There are far too many Reading FC 'fans' who think the real world of football is like Football Manager. You agree a fee with a club and then terms with the player, and that's it job done. If we don't agree fee/terms then it is down to a 'lack of ambition', 'penny pinching' or 'Anton is a fraud with no money'. In an ideal world we could sign whoever we wanted at whatever weekly wage, but you can't even do that on FM without a cheat. Numerous voices on here wanted us to bid £4/5/6M over the summer on various players, we had no ambition because we didn't, not withstanding a 3 year contract on say £20k a week would mean an additional £3M the club would have to find. Then there's the issue of how does paying this new player £40k a week affect the rest of the squad on £20k a week, oh that's the manager's job you say. We have signed a few duffers in the time I have followed Reading but all in all I think Hammond has done a very good job.[/quote]

Yes you are right but on occasions you do have to sometimes pay over the odds if that is what the market is asking. Its always a case of weighing benefits against risk. I would have said paying over the odds last year was worth as it could have kept us in the premiership. I would have said going over the odds for a striker when 2 good ones were available was worth it to give us a realistic chance of promotion. We are now faced with panic buying when few decent players are available. Clearly it seems we were after both those strikers and at £4m it was not that unreasonable. The major problem is that we have a very expensive striker on £50-60k pw whom we cant move on. But because you have made a mistake in the past can you afford to let that taint the future? A business man may say no an accountant would say yes?

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 30 Aug 2013 12:15

paddy20 +1 I don't always agree with you on some issues, but on this you are spot on. There are far too many Reading FC 'fans' who think the real world of football is like Football Manager. You agree a fee with a club and then terms with the player, and that's it job done. If we don't agree fee/terms then it is down to a 'lack of ambition', 'penny pinching' or 'Anton is a fraud with no money'. In an ideal world we could sign whoever we wanted at whatever weekly wage, but you can't even do that on FM without a cheat. Numerous voices on here wanted us to bid £4/5/6M over the summer on various players, we had no ambition because we didn't, not withstanding a 3 year contract on say £20k a week would mean an additional £3M the club would have to find. Then there's the issue of how does paying this new player £40k a week affect the rest of the squad on £20k a week, oh that's the manager's job you say. We have signed a few duffers in the time I have followed Reading but all in all I think Hammond has done a very good job.

Yes you are right but on occasions you do have to sometimes pay over the odds if that is what the market is asking. Its always a case of weighing benefits against risk. I would have said paying over the odds last year was worth as it could have kept us in the premiership. I would have said going over the odds for a striker when 2 good ones were available was worth it to give us a realistic chance of promotion. We are now faced with panic buying when few decent players are available. Clearly it seems we were after both those strikers and at £4m it was not that unreasonable. The major problem is that we have a very expensive striker on £50-60k pw whom we cant move on. But because you have made a mistake in the past can you afford to let that taint the future? A business man may say no an accountant would say yes?[/quote]

I just have a feeling in my bones that one/other/both of the strikers we are all thinking of maybe amonng the ones that got away (I am going to proceed on this basis, rather than entertain the we don't bid for anybody blah blah argument). You are right Paddy, and what we see at Arsenal now is probably a blind application of the 'I'm only paying my price' principle. I wouldn't be surprised though if we were prepared to pay market rate, only to find market rate went out of our reach when other bidders threw their hat into the ring. As far as the Pog goes, I'm not that sure he is on £50-60k a week, I am sure it's not peanuts but I am presuming a relegation clause would have been inserted into his deal. Pog, for me, will be interesting. If he doesn't get a move (and likely he won't, there I said it! :roll: ) then it will be interesting to see if his mood and demeanour change when he knows he is stuck here until Jan. I'm not all that sure that his minimal involvement so far is more reflective of the club's need to keep him fit, in case they can get shot, rather his training attitude. Although, of course, after Tuesday night who knows? Could have looked around at the shower of shite around him and thought 'Who gives a flying f***?'

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Aug 2013 12:24

Clearly it seems we were after both those strikers and at £4m it was not that unreasonable.

its not about reasonable or not, its about saying - i think the player is worth X
im willing to go this much higher, but no further, or else it will no longer make business sense.

id suggest that given the ammount of clubs willing to spend that much, who dont go up is quite high, making the gamble less worth it.how did the 8 million purchase of rhodes work out?

id suggest that a club that regularly makes ~ 5 million losses, year on year, in this division, would be off its rocker to spend another 4 million on any player.

Rfc1987

Potential 3 signing but who?

by Rfc1987 » 30 Aug 2013 12:32

According to getreading who interviewd Nigel Adkins that we could strengthen the team by the deadline with up to 3 players. We all know we need a striker to help alfie and that there are a few players we need off our books, Adkins talk about signing falling at the last minute and i agree must be hard to strengthen your team correctly/9financially and the right players) before the deadline. If we do sign a few players before the deadline which i feel we will who do you think they are?

Vaz te?
charlton cole?
akpala?
maybe a promising loan signing?

Discuss................................ :mrgreen:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Potential 3 signing but who?

by LoyalRoyalFan » 30 Aug 2013 12:34

Why hasn't this been discussed before? :roll:

rfc58

by rfc58 » 30 Aug 2013 12:36

LoyalRoyalFan Why hasn't this been discussed before? :roll:

And more to the point, no one has ever mentioned Jordon Rhodes, baffled by that.

Rfc1987

by Rfc1987 » 30 Aug 2013 12:38

Rfc1987 According to getreading who interviewd Nigel Adkins that we could strengthen the team by the deadline with up to 3 players. We all know we need a striker to help alfie and that there are a few players we need off our books, Adkins talk about signing falling at the last minute and i agree must be hard to strengthen your team correctly/9financially and the right players) before the deadline. If we do sign a few players before the deadline which i feel we will who do you think they are?

Vaz te?
charlton cole?
akpala?

apoligise for the new thread but sometimes its good to start fresh with conversations about signings, theres alot of threads on here that our 100 pages long and half of that is just mucking around and have gone off topic. No offence caused just wanted to discuss the last few days of the window from scratch.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Aug 2013 12:47

paddy20 +1 I don't always agree with you on some issues, but on this you are spot on. There are far too many Reading FC 'fans' who think the real world of football is like Football Manager. You agree a fee with a club and then terms with the player, and that's it job done. If we don't agree fee/terms then it is down to a 'lack of ambition', 'penny pinching' or 'Anton is a fraud with no money'. In an ideal world we could sign whoever we wanted at whatever weekly wage, but you can't even do that on FM without a cheat. Numerous voices on here wanted us to bid £4/5/6M over the summer on various players, we had no ambition because we didn't, not withstanding a 3 year contract on say £20k a week would mean an additional £3M the club would have to find. Then there's the issue of how does paying this new player £40k a week affect the rest of the squad on £20k a week, oh that's the manager's job you say. We have signed a few duffers in the time I have followed Reading but all in all I think Hammond has done a very good job.

Yes you are right but on occasions you do have to sometimes pay over the odds if that is what the market is asking. Its always a case of weighing benefits against risk. I would have said paying over the odds last year was worth as it could have kept us in the premiership. I would have said going over the odds for a striker when 2 good ones were available was worth it to give us a realistic chance of promotion. We are now faced with panic buying when few decent players are available. Clearly it seems we were after both those strikers and at £4m it was not that unreasonable. The major problem is that we have a very expensive striker on £50-60k pw whom we cant move on. But because you have made a mistake in the past can you afford to let that taint the future? A business man may say no an accountant would say yes?[/quote]

Paddy, you are absolutely spot on - nail hit squarely on head, and this is where I do think RFC have fallen down in the past. I had hoped Anton might work the cost/benefit/risk/reward calculation slightly better but as the end of this window rapidly approaches, I am becoming increasingly worried that they will continue to fail to recognise that, on occasions, you do have to pay a premium to buy that missing sticker for the football album!

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 30 Aug 2013 12:53

Just curious......... who's Charlton Cole?

Rfc1987

by Rfc1987 » 30 Aug 2013 12:54

Elm Park Pasty Just curious......... who's Charlton Cole?

niceley spotted il give you that!

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 30 Aug 2013 12:57

Rfc1987 According to getreading who interviewd Nigel Adkins that we could strengthen the team by the deadline with up to 3 players. We all know we need a striker to help alfie and that there are a few players we need off our books, Adkins talk about signing falling at the last minute and i agree must be hard to strengthen your team correctly/9financially and the right players) before the deadline. If we do sign a few players before the deadline which i feel we will who do you think they are?

Vaz te?
charlton cole?
akpala?

He said he was looking to strengthen in 3 positions, maybe looking for more than 1 player for any 1 of those positions! :shock:

Rfc1987

by Rfc1987 » 30 Aug 2013 13:03

Tilehurst End

Vaz te?
charlton cole?
akpala?

He said he was looking to strengthen in 3 positions, maybe looking for more than 1 player for any 1 of those positions! :shock:

That is true but the fact he is looking to strenghten up to 3 positions hopefully shows that we could sign up to 3 players. I understand that this is highly unlikely but it is interesting to try and work out what players he is looking at for what positions?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 30 Aug 2013 13:06

I suspect that Pog is the major reason we have seen so little activity in the Market. Under the Financial Fair play regulations you cannot let wages get out of control against turnover and if he is on 3M a year as reported that is a big chunk of turnover.

It looks like he is now here for the duration so this could be a problem for the next 2-3 seasons unless we can find some way of offloading him. The problem is he looked like he could not care a less the other night and why should he 3M a year for 3 more years whether he tries or not!

This could be impacting our ability to bring in new players as we cannot offer as high wages as they are demanding.

Rfc1987

by Rfc1987 » 30 Aug 2013 13:11

andrew1957 I suspect that Pog is the major reason we have seen so little activity in the Market. Under the Financial Fair play regulations you cannot let wages get out of control against turnover and if he is on 3M a year as reported that is a big chunk of turnover.

It looks like he is now here for the duration so this could be a problem for the next 2-3 seasons unless we can find some way of offloading him. The problem is he looked like he could not care a less the other night and why should he 3M a year for 3 more years whether he tries or not!

This could be impacting our ability to bring in new players as we cannot offer as high wages as they are demanding.

i agree. Hopefully kebe going to palace which looks the case will help us bring in somebody, kebe doesnt have as big as an impact financially but hopefully this will free up some cash to bring in atleast one of our targets.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 30 Aug 2013 13:27

melonhead squeakys job is to ensure we buy players at or below our valuation of them, without breaking our wage structure significantly, and who will have a good resale value when they leave.

im happy with this

Lot flying round about Palarse paying £2M for Jimmy, if this is true Hammond has worked his magic again.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 30 Aug 2013 13:32

Elm Park Pasty
melonhead squeakys job is to ensure we buy players at or below our valuation of them, without breaking our wage structure significantly, and who will have a good resale value when they leave.

im happy with this

Lot flying round about Palarse paying £2M for Jimmy, if this is true Hammond has worked his magic again.

Bollocks, £2m for a player with Kebe's ability is a steal.

801 posts