Jimmy Kebe

830 posts
ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Jimmy Kebe

by ManchesterRoyals » 30 Aug 2013 20:59

sandman
Barney 28 pages on Kebe :shock:

Cult status is: you play 400+ games for your club, or you are extra special.

The 400 club: Stuart Beavon, Steve Death, Maurice Evans, Michael Gilkes, Martin Hicks, Phil Parkinson, Steve Richardson, Dick Spiers, Jimmy Wheeler.
Extra Special club: Robin Friday, Maurice Edelston, Ron Blackman.

Kebe - not in either club. Jog on sunshine, thanks for the few good performances. Enjoy a torrid time at Palace. Might see you next season, but hopefully wave to you as we pass divisions.

No doubt he will encounter a 'paper cut' in signing a contract with Palace, and be side-lined for a month.

Loved the guy but LOL at Gilkesy being in the "400 club" might have made 400+ apps but he's more like the "half a game in front of the Southbank" club.

Yeah but fxck me that boy could run

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Aug 2013 21:27

ManchesterRoyals
sandman

The 400 club: Stuart Beavon, Steve Death, Maurice Evans, Michael Gilkes, Martin Hicks, Phil Parkinson, Steve Richardson, Dick Spiers, Jimmy Wheeler.

Kebe - not in either club. Jog on sunshine, thanks for the few good performances. Enjoy a torrid time at Palace. Might see you next season, but hopefully wave to you as we pass divisions.

No doubt he will encounter a 'paper cut' in signing a contract with Palace, and be side-lined for a month.

Loved the guy but LOL at Gilkesy being in the "400 club" might have made 400+ apps but he's more like the "half a game in front of the Southbank" club.

Yeah but fxck me that boy could run

Yep, as fast as Kebe, yet managed to do so without pulling his hamstring every other week!

Only a month out with a paper cut for Kebe would be a miraculously quick recovery for him! Also quite risky for him to 'jog on'!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Aug 2013 21:37

Kebe - not in either club.

LOL @ the suggestion that a Premier League player like Kebe isn't as good as a Third Division South chancer like Edelston.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 30 Aug 2013 22:26

So to sum up we have a winger that most posters doesn't think is all that good who has alledgedly pulled a sicky in a game that his manager and the rest of the squad didn't give a f*ck about and isn't very important but we're alledgedly getting £2million from a newly promoted premier league club for anyway; and this is or isn't a good situation for the club and its supporters? :P

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 30 Aug 2013 22:29

RoyalBlue
One8Seven1
P!ssed Off As if anyone's actually bothered about this bit.
Nobody even knew until some twat brought up the last day or so.

Selective memories, it was well known at the time and covered by the media.

And the twat P!ssed Off refers to actually provided a link for those with selective memories to refer to! :twisted:

And P!ssed Off why shouldn't supporters and clubs be really worried about an overpaid, injury prone, temperamental player who has a record of refusing to play or getting 'injured' in order to get out of a very good contract that he previously wrung out of his existing club?

Can't remember when a Reading player last pulled that stunt - I'm sure someone can remind me.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Aug 2013 22:30

The Quiet Man that most posters doesn't think

um.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 30 Aug 2013 23:20

SCIAG

LOL @ the suggestion that a Premier League player like Kebe isn't as good as a Third Division South chancer like Edelston.

Barney has a very good point.
As a club we get better, and so do our players, but that doesn't mean that the players in the past are diminished in our eyes.
We frequently get taunted about not having any history - but with 1871 as our foundation date we have more than most.
Just not so illustrious - but that is what makes us what we are.
So when you slag off Edelston you are disrespecting all that RFC stands for and are completely missing the point.
Kebe is now almost nobody - just an ex-player like so many we have had before. First time he comes back he will get some applause, but after that it should be nothing.
He has not done enough to earn respect, and much like McGhee and Pardew, the way you leave defines the man.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Aug 2013 23:40

Kebe was always great but for very few games in between anonymity and injury.

Whilst I love him I've come to realise that sort of a player is a liability. You build your game around his speed then he's off injured and your gameplan is in ruins. No point having a star player who can only sporadically play.

Losing him will be sad but a blessing.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Aug 2013 23:51

blythspartan Never really rated him, Michael Gilkes was twice as good.

Has reached cult status for doing f**k all.

Little was twice ad good. Gilkes half as good

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 30 Aug 2013 23:53

Clearly been forced out. Disgraceful behaviour. Not the reading way.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 30 Aug 2013 23:57

Might switch teams if he goes.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Aug 2013 10:10

Always liked those palace colors. I'm a stripey Nigel now

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Aug 2013 10:20

It's not even official that he's going/gone is it?

He was a great player for us and I, for one, will miss having the luxury of being able to play him if we want to.

Until there is categoric evidence that he refused to play for us and wasn't injured, I'm going to believe Kebe. If the club were close to selling him to Palace, couldn't Palace have asked that he didn't play on Tuesday for fear of injury? I dunno - but it might be a possibility. Kebe himself said he was used as the scape goat by Adkins to deflect the criticism away from him. If Adkins knew Kebe was going to be off this week, it's not entirely implausible that he might do this, is it?

Kebe has been a great player for this club and, until this week, I'd never heard him court publicity. So it seems very out of character for him to stir up trouble, especially if there is an imminent move for him on the cards.

So I'm reserving judgement on Kebe until I know the real facts. #justsayin

People on here are far too quick to denounce players and then suddenly they're flavour of the week - see Guthrie for further details. If Kebe goes, I shall be very sad but wish him well and he'll definitely get a round of applause from me if we ever play against him in future.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Aug 2013 10:31

Pretty clear that jimmy is a hero, and crowd favourite. Atkins clearly starting all this to try and break that bond.
There's only room for one hero in nigels world, and he couldn't cope with having jimmy here, taking all the limelight. He has to get rid, but needs to create a story like thus to stop the supporters kicking off when their best player is sold.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 31 Aug 2013 10:40

Blatantly obvious why the Kebe sale has not yet been announced:
Adkins needs something up his sleeve for the post-match interview after we get bonked by Yeovil:

"Well, we may have lost the game 4-0 Tim, but we've sold Jimmy Kebe, who's a very naughty boy. Refused to play for the club, and he's always injured, did I tell you that? So I think on balance it's been a very productive weekend for Reading Football Club."

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Aug 2013 11:01

melonhead Pretty clear that jimmy is a hero, and crowd favourite. Atkins clearly starting all this to try and break that bond.
There's only room for one hero in nigels world, and he couldn't cope with having jimmy here, taking all the limelight. He has to get rid, but needs to create a story like thus to stop the supporters kicking off when their best player is sold.

Oh yeah, like a player who is out injured for as many games as he plays and only performs for 50% of the games that he plays in is likely to steal much limelight.

He could have been a legend had he not spent so log injured/recovering. Says a lot about him that his 'legendary' status at Reading is most likely to be built on socks and a tweet!

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 31 Aug 2013 11:57

SCIAG

Could agree that Maurice Edelston may not have been Extra Special, but he doesn't deserve to be called a chancer, that's disrespect. And he did play for the England Amateur XI, at a time when that meant something.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Aug 2013 12:22

Royal Lady It's not even official that he's going/gone is it?

He was a great player for us and I, for one, will miss having the luxury of being able to play him if we want to.

Until there is categoric evidence that he refused to play for us and wasn't injured, I'm going to believe Kebe. If the club were close to selling him to Palace, couldn't Palace have asked that he didn't play on Tuesday for fear of injury? I dunno - but it might be a possibility. Kebe himself said he was used as the scape goat by Adkins to deflect the criticism away from him. If Adkins knew Kebe was going to be off this week, it's not entirely implausible that he might do this, is it?

How did Adkins coerce Kebe into going on the radio on Saturday, then declaring himself unfit on Monday, then get Dellor to probe him on Kebe? To arrange that all in advance with the foresight of a gutless performance from a set of players who should do a lot better is some feat of management.

We should grateful to have such a genius amongst us!

Royal Lady Kebe has been a great player for this club and, until this week, I'd never heard him court publicity. So it seems very out of character for him to stir up trouble, especially if there is an imminent move for him on the cards.

So I'm reserving judgement on Kebe until I know the real facts. #justsayin

The only other times he's courted publicity since I first heard of him when we showed an interest in him have been when he's been having a moan and trying to stir things up. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Royal Lady People on here are far too quick to denounce players and then suddenly they're flavour of the week - see Guthrie for further details. If Kebe goes, I shall be very sad but wish him well and he'll definitely get a round of applause from me if we ever play against him in future.

You're right that there's quite a fluctuation in opinion at times, but that's in life not just on here. As for Guthrie though, he's taken quite some time to win over the majority of fans and he's done that by admitting his error and working hard to put things right.

I hope Kebe can be remembered for the highlights of his time here. Personally I'll remember him for what he was, a talented player who, on his day could be excellent, but missed far too much football and failed to fulfil his potential enough to really win me over.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 31 Aug 2013 12:57

A nobber on twitter has said that Kebe is starting today....

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 31 Aug 2013 12:59

For whom?

Effortless TOTP.

830 posts