223 posts
MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Announcements Today

by MouldyRoyal » 03 Sep 2013 09:39

It's just a sport, calm down.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 03 Sep 2013 09:45

I don't understand what the rush to get into the Premier League is all about....

...it is by far the dirtiest league in the world with most games being won & lost based on very dodgy decisions made by the referees....teams like Reading will never be able to compete in that league unless we are transformed into a major player like what happened at Man City....unfortunately that took about £1 billion....

...face it, we will always be little old Reading FC.....

CemeteryJ

by CemeteryJ » 03 Sep 2013 09:47

semtex1871 I don't understand what the rush to get into the Premier League is all about....

...it is by far the dirtiest league in the world with most games being won & lost based on very dodgy decisions made by the referees....teams like Reading will never be able to compete in that league unless we are transformed into a major player like what happened at Man City....unfortunately that took about £1 billion....

I just want to watch us lose on the telly again.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 03 Sep 2013 09:48

semtex1871 I don't understand what the rush to get into the Premier League is all about....

Swansea did it without going bankrupt ...

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 03 Sep 2013 09:48

Even if the club haven't announced any deals they may have done yesterday, surely some journalist, SSN, or even twitter mong would have told us by now.

CemeteryJ

by CemeteryJ » 03 Sep 2013 09:49

No news has got to be good news, surely!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Sep 2013 09:49

southbank1871 I too would have liked us to have signed some more players (there's still a chance we have or will), but I'm not going to act like a little bitch and have a massive hissy fit because we haven't spent like QPR. It's embarrassing.

Crikey! An outbreak of sanity.

The long-term secure future of the club is not dependent on getting promoted this season, it is dependent on producing home-grown players and the investment in the Academy is therefore the most important thing the club can do. And they are doing it.

We could spend a lot and go up - then what? We spend a load more to stay up. And then what? On crowds of 24,000 eventually it becomes crystal clear (as if it isn't already) that we can't actually compete and remain financially stable. So we go down. Skint.

Or we could spend a lot and not go up. And be skint. And potentially jeopardise the investment in the Academy.

We simply have to create an environment where the Academy produces young players who are capable of making their way in the top echelons of the professional game in order to earn a place at the top table.

If there are any fans jealous of QPR at the moment I think I shall piss myself laughing. Points on the table, likely promotion.... Then what? If you would really get pleasure out of RFC being run like Chelsea, Portsmouth, Man City and now QPR with totally unsustainable business models then fair enough. I seriously believe, given the option, most sane people would rather we do it in the right way, through continuing SJM's 2 decade brick-by-brick approach, not through spending huge sums on inflated fees and insane wages, just to appease a minority of fans who gets their rocks off on that sort of thing.

Yes, opportunities have been lost along the way, we could have done it better and maybe have survived longer in the PL, but to see the frothing at the mouth comments on here, anybody would think it really mattered all that much.

Here's the thing - it really doesn't.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 03 Sep 2013 09:50

I agree completely and the only reason I want us to be in there is so we don't loose the great "homegrown" talent we produce, such as Gylfi and McCarthy. There is nothing else that's good about being in the premier league besides that.

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 03 Sep 2013 09:51

if there is a way that we can win the championship and opt not to get promoted then i'm in for that.

rfc58

by rfc58 » 03 Sep 2013 09:51

Royalwaster

Swansea did it without going bankrupt ...

Just thinking the same, oh and West Brom have made a decent living etc. out of being in the Premiership.

I can't think of too many reasons for NOT being in there. Surely in life it's the norm to want to be the best you possibly can at whatever you do ??

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 03 Sep 2013 09:52

southbank1871 I too would have liked us to have signed some more players (there's still a chance we have or will), but I'm not going to act like a little bitch and have a massive hissy fit because we haven't spent like QPR. It's embarrassing.

+1 Seriously not sure what some of you were expecting I really don't. I am deflated about the lack of signings, although I am not so gutted about Mapps and Kebe going as I am not sure their commitment was there any more. Anyone who thought we would be chucking £Ms around last night was always going to be disappointed (and I admit I bought into this a little). The club cannot go on sending out mixed messages, saying one day we build brick by brick, and on another saying we will make signings. Having said that, I am not sure how long QPR can exist as a business model given the wages that must going out there, that is just plain ludicrous. If anything, it is our poor comparison with Wigan which concerns me more.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 03 Sep 2013 09:52

LightwaterRoyal Even if the club haven't announced any deals they may have done yesterday, surely some journalist, SSN, or even twitter mong would have told us by now.

The only thing I can think of is because they had nobody at Reading they don't know what's going on with us. The Daily Mail guy tweeted he was on his way here and a couple of people on the twitter are adamant he signed for us last night. I guess we'll see.

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 03 Sep 2013 09:52

You seem to have completely missed the point, the only people that have EVER stated their intent to return to the Premier league asap was Anton, SJM and the Manager.

What really grips my shit is the constant lies from the club, not the fact that we are in a rush to get back to the PL.

For what it's worth i actually agree with you about the PL, however, my expectation levels were raised pre season when the club said that they would spend money and bring in the players to get us promoted, again a load of bullshit to sell season tickets.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Sep 2013 09:53

Royal Rother

Crikey! An outbreak of sanity.

The long-term secure future of the club is not dependent on getting promoted this season, it is dependent on producing home-grown players and the investment in the Academy is therefore the most important thing the club can do. And they are doing it.

We could spend a lot and go up - then what? We spend a load more to stay up. And then what? On crowds of 24,000 eventually it becomes crystal clear (as if it isn't already) that we can't actually compete and remain financially stable. So we go down. Skint.

Or we could spend a lot and not go up. And be skint. And potentially jeopardise the investment in the Academy.

We simply have to create an environment where the Academy produces young players who are capable of making their way in the top echelons of the professional game in order to earn a place at the top table.

If there are any fans jealous of QPR at the moment I think I shall piss myself laughing. Points on the table, likely promotion.... Then what? If you would really get pleasure out of RFC being run like Chelsea, Portsmouth, Man City and now QPR with totally unsustainable business models then fair enough. I seriously believe, given the option, most sane people would rather we do it in the right way, through continuing SJM's 2 decade brick-by-brick approach, not through spending huge sums on inflated fees and insane wages, just to appease a minority of fans who gets their rocks off on that sort of thing.

Yes, opportunities have been lost along the way, we could have done it better and maybe have survived longer in the PL, but to see the frothing at the mouth comments on here, anybody would think it really mattered all that much.

Here's the thing - it really doesn't.

+1

The we'll spend big promises are always made when there are season tickets to sell, for a reason

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 03 Sep 2013 09:54

Elm Park Pasty

+1 Seriously not sure what some of you were expecting I really don't. I am deflated about the lack of signings, although I am not so gutted about Mapps and Kebe going as I am not sure their commitment was there any more. Anyone who thought we would be chucking £Ms around last night was always going to be disappointed (and I admit I bought into this a little). The club cannot go on sending out mixed messages, saying one day we build brick by brick, and on another saying we will make signings. Having said that, I am not sure how long QPR can exist as a business model given the wages that must going out there, that is just plain ludicrous. If anything, it is our poor comparison with Wigan which concerns me more.

Got to remember Wigan received alot of money for the sales of Kone and Mcarthy. Even if they kept 50% of that that to cover their own running costs, they would still have had a larger budget than us.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 03 Sep 2013 09:56

Elm Park Pasty I am not sure how long QPR can exist as a business model given the wages that must going out there, that is just plain ludicrous. If anything, it is our poor comparison with Wigan which concerns me more.

Harry will sort it, you only need to look at his track record - Bournemouth, Portsmouth, West Ham, Southampton...

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 03 Sep 2013 09:58

MouldyRoyal
Elm Park Pasty

Got to remember Wigan received alot of money for the sales of Kone and Mcarthy. Even if they kept 50% of that that to cover their own running costs, they would still have had a larger budget than us.

Must admit I forgot Kone going. I did also ponder afterwards that being in the PL is probably the only way Wigan can survive at this level given their fanbase. Still surprised they signed around 11 players though.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 03 Sep 2013 09:59

I really don't like the constant use of QPR and Portsmouth as examples, as if that worst case scenario is the ONLY thing that can happen to a club who spends. Basically every PL club has spent money to get there, bar Swansea (who still spent 3x what we did in their first season). There are many successful examples of spending - Stoke, Southampton, West Ham, West Brom - every team in there has spent big, compared to us. The only way to become a successful PL club is to spend money - you just have to spend it well. We have done neither.

Cypry

by Cypry » 03 Sep 2013 10:00

Dixeyroyal

You seem to have completely missed the point, the only people that have EVER stated their intent to return to the Premier league asap was Anton, SJM and the Manager.

What really grips my shit is the constant lies from the club, not the fact that we are in a rush to get back to the PL.

For what it's worth i actually agree with you about the PL, however, my expectation levels were raised pre season when the club said that they would spend money and bring in the players to get us promoted, again a load of bullshit to sell season tickets.

And therein lies the problem - show me a direct quote where anyone from the club has said we'd spend money....go on - try it....

You won't find one; do you know why? Because nobody from the club has ever said we'd spend money - it's a figment of a section of the fans imagination, rich Russian owner = spending loads of cash. What the club as actually said all along is that the club would continue to be run in a prudent fashion, and guess what - they've been absolutely true to their word.

If you can criticise anyone within the club, then you could say that Anton doesn't really understand what simpletons some of our fans are, and has been a bit naive in talking about our ambitions in signing players before the deals are actually done.....

Nonetheless, the fact that we've not had a "business complete" release from the club yet (which is normally issued on deadline day), I'm reasonably confident that we might still see a signing or two announced in the next few hours....

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Sep 2013 10:00

Regardless of the shambles yesterday, does anyone not think it is time for a change in terms of hammond leaving? He has been at club so long that maybe a new challenge for him and new vision for us may be a good thing?

223 posts