Pogrebnyak

964 posts
The Goat was fed

Re: The Pog to stay and fight...

by The Goat was fed » 05 Sep 2013 15:33

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with his application this year, but like a few others have pointed out - JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE BIG DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY OBLIGED TO WIN HEADERS/BE A TARGET MAN.

His strengths lie not in aerial dominance, but with the ball at his feet. His strength is apparent when he has the ball on the deck, holding off defenders and laying it off, or turning to get a strike on goal.

If he starts, I'm willing to give him a fresh start under Adkins - who in theory should be encouraging balls to his feet. If he still looks pony, then he's an overpaid knob who can be written off as a failure and, to some extent, a good example of how big wages don't guarantee big talent.

royallyscrewed

by royallyscrewed » 05 Sep 2013 15:41

Annoyingly everytime I see the POG come on I let a glimmer of hope seep in and start to think 'this time' and within minutes he manages to stamp all over that thought. He may yet prove me wrong (there it is again) but either way he did not choose to stay and fight for Reading. If the chance to move was there he would have taken. What else can he say now the window has closes!!

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 05 Sep 2013 16:12

Anyone who seriously thinks hes on 60k a week is a mong.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Sep 2013 17:42

P!ssed Off If he stayed despite offers for him then there's little doubt that this was only because the buying club offered a lower wage than he's already on.

Blatantly. He's got three more years of easy money.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 05 Sep 2013 18:02

Nothing like a transfer window shutting and there being no takers to induce a change of heart.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 05 Sep 2013 18:07

Pog is not on £250k a month-that was on a performance based contract; largely dependant on us staying in the Prem-more likely to be between £20k and £30k a week.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 05 Sep 2013 18:11

Westwood52 Pog is not on £250k a month-that was on a performance based contract; largely dependant on us staying in the Prem-more likely to be between £20k and £30k a week.

They way he's been performing lately he should be on Fxck all, but if he puts his mind to it and puts a proper Shift and starts performing he could and should be a star at this level.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Sep 2013 18:24

I am glad that the Pog is staying.

I think that he has been suffering from a major lack of confidence.

We should organise a Pog Day where we show him that we want him here, which might help his confidence. We could wear blond wigs, or come up with some Russian theme.

I still remember when he first burst on the scene for Fulham and he looked quality. I remember Spurs fans at work complaining that they had signed the wrong Russian.

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 05 Sep 2013 18:28

I wouldn't mind him having a run in the team at all, he has the capabilities to nail the championship and we should make the most of that - although his commitment has (apparently) been questionable, its in both parties interests to get behind eachother, and I believe it to be more for lack of confidence than lack of trying.. certainly we shouldn't be booing the guy!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pogrebnyak

by Millsy » 05 Sep 2013 18:45

How about Pog at centreback?

Will free up Legs to go up front where he'll be more effective...

Esteban

by Esteban » 05 Sep 2013 18:46

blythspartan I am glad that the Pog is staying.

I think that he has been suffering from a major lack of confidence.

We should organise a Pog Day where we show him that we want him here, which might help his confidence. We could wear blond wigs, or come up with some Russian theme.

I still remember when he first burst on the scene for Fulham and he looked quality. I remember Spurs fans at work complaining that they had signed the wrong Russian.

That's a shout. Been ages since we've had a decent theme day at home.

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 05 Sep 2013 19:15

In for that

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 05 Sep 2013 19:26

The Goat was fed I've been thoroughly unimpressed with his application this year, but like a few others have pointed out - JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE BIG DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY OBLIGED TO WIN HEADERS/BE A TARGET MAN.

His strengths lie not in aerial dominance, but with the ball at his feet. His strength is apparent when he has the ball on the deck, holding off defenders and laying it off, or turning to get a strike on goal.

If he starts, I'm willing to give him a fresh start under Adkins - who in theory should be encouraging balls to his feet. If he still looks pony, then he's an overpaid knob who can be written off as a failure and, to some extent, a good example of how big wages don't guarantee big talent.

I do agree, but more so because he can't be any worse that Blackman, and does have his strengths as you've mentioned above. My biggest concern though is the supply, because we haven't addressed that yet, and we rarely see a through ball, or clever pass around the edge of the box begging to be hit. We don't have the confidence to pass it around with intent like that, but that's exactly what we need, and then Pog/Alf would have more than enough chances each game.

Blackman now needs to be dropped to the bench, absolutely no doubt about it.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 05 Sep 2013 23:21

fruits I agree with the posters the club is taking us for mugs. Who would be interested in buying him? He can´t make our first team so he must be rubbish.

As far as I can see the club is on a hiding to nothing, with his present attitude.He doesn´t want to play, still has too high an opinion of his skills, he will continue to collect about 250k a month, basically for doing nothing.

Reading´s options are basically pay the Pig off, which may be the best option, get him out of the way thus reducing any tension with the other players.But very expensive. Try to get shot of him promising to pay half of his wages until the end of his contract , but which club would even want him at the super super reduced price is hard to see.

It is a fine old mess. The Pig might do the honourable thing admit he is taking money under false pretences,get his backside into gear and try to recover his form which would help RFC in the short term and might secure him a move in January thus helping his long term prospects.

There is little or no honour in the world now,especially in sport. So do not expect the Pig to do the honourable and right thing and work his socks off for his employer.

'The Pig', very mature. And I agree, how dare he accept the money we offered him, the swine.

How do we know anything about his attitude and how much he wants to play? Just because he doesn't run around at a million miles an hour all the time, it doesn't mean he's not trying. From what we've heard, he's committed to the club despite offers elsewhere, and with no knowledge of what he's like, the fans are jumping on his back calling him money grabbing. Give the man a chance.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 06 Sep 2013 01:24

LUX
Libertine terrorize defenses

I am more than tolerant of the American zee here, but for the second offence :arrow: and never come back.

:lol:

You just getting around, after 5K+ posts, to taking exception to it now? :D

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 06 Sep 2013 02:18

Adkins purposely didn't play Pog throughout the transfer window as he didn't want to advertise him to other clubs. When he did make appearances he was under instruction to not try as much. He will start against Brighton.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 06 Sep 2013 08:13

When he did make appearances he was under instruction to not try as much.

Was he told that all last season too ?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Sep 2013 10:10

However much money Pog is on is irrelevant. The club offered the contract and he is due whatever has been agreed.

I suspect that he has not been played so far because everyone (including him) thought he was off. Now he has a great chance to turn himself from zero to hero as far as RFC fans are concerned. I for one hope he starts the next game and scores a couple. If so we will soon be cheering him on.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 06 Sep 2013 11:39

I was also of the opinion that The Pog's attitude probably reflected the club's in some respects, he was probably not going to be here so why worry about integrating him in the team. Now he is going to be here, it is up to him. If he really wants to push the club towards promotion (and cynically, I'll add a previously added promotion bonus clause) he needs to extract his finger and get involved. He was looking to be on the plane to Brazil 2014 for Russia but he will need to start scoring and playing well to achieve that. Having said that, as someone else has said, to make that happen (which would be beneficial to everyone) we need to play to his strengths which is balls to feet. I would love to see The Pog get firing, if he starts scoring we win games and move up the table. The added bonus for him is that he may enter the National Team's plans, so it's win win.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 06 Sep 2013 13:34

Ian Royal
P!ssed Off If he stayed despite offers for him then there's little doubt that this was only because the buying club offered a lower wage than he's already on.

Blatantly. He's got three more years of easy money.

Then thats it. Potentially career = over

964 posts