Pogrebnyak

964 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pogrebnyak

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2013 10:32

Lol at all this balls.

1st yellow clear late and unnecessary lunge, made worse by a dive. But fair yellow.
2nd yellow normal everyday physical jiggery-pokery with a huge unnecessary dive.

Ref was harsh and missed several things but generally the yellows he gave were consistent and justifiable.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 16 Sep 2013 10:34

AkpansBFF
Brum Royal Sat in the East behind the disabled area, so my views on the two fouls are thus:

1st booking
Running away from us, other side of the pitch so not the clearest of views for me, however, it looked a foul and on the basis of what the ref was issuing other yellows for, was a booking
I haven't seen this one again, so happy to be proved wrong on this one.

2nd booking
Right in front of us, plus saw a brief clip of the incident from the Sky coverage at HT on someone's phone.
I didn't see the arm/shirt pull. From what I saw, Pog tried to spin the two defenders, got a clip across the shin (foul), but recovered his footing, got free of the men (slightly) then threw himself (dive).
On the basis of that, I felt the referee was correct to book him for diving. However, having already been on a yellow, I would have suggested it should have been a final warning for most refs.

Brighton Red
Foot high, round Pearce's face. Given what yellow cards were being dished out for, 100% correct.

Some of the other yellows seemed very harsh, but I think these three were pretty much correct, based on (as Jason Roberts said in his post match interview) "how high the bar was set". I intend to watch the incidents on the recording tonight.

I watched the replays and if you think about it from what you said pog did get slightly clipped but went down late (I agree completely) but for his first yellow their player was slightly clipped by pog but went down late, so on one end the refs saying you caught him heres a yellow but then saying you went down too late heres a second yellow. Both incidents in context are the same and the ref hasnt stuck to his first judgement for the second.

Just watched the replay on SSN and from a different angle it shows he had his arm pulled the whole time too.

Unfortunately, the ref does not have SSN coverage on him on the field of play. From where the referee was positioned on each occasion, he had no other choice than to give a yellow for both incidents. Pog acted a bellend for his second and deserved his red. He was also 100% correct on their sending off. The ref has had some bashing on some threads but I thought overall, he did fairly well, especially with the yellow cards for Pog, Pearce and Guthrie.

Whether SSN showed Pog was being pulled or not, it equals itself out with Pearce being all over Ulloa on many occasions. Ref 7/10 rating

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 16 Sep 2013 10:40

Things I don't like and am happy for players to get booked for every time (even if they're our players):

Falling to the ground when no contact.
Falling to the ground when contact, but not enough to force you to the ground.
Attempting slide tackles when you're absolutely incapable of slide tackling.
Imaginary card waving.
Handling the ball when you think you've been fouled.
Swearing at the ref cos he's a meany.

(Not all applicable to Pog).

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Sep 2013 10:50

Who Moved The Goalposts?
Schards#2
Woodcote Royal Releasing Noel Hunt and keeping this joker simply beggars belief, as does Schard's view that Pog is more likely to score than the "anonymous" Alf, who already has 3 goals in this campaign................................but, there again, this the man who always insisted the sun shone from Nicky Forster's backside :|

Any club looking for a player who knows 10 different ways to dive or fall over will pay a fortune for POG......................and I doubt any expense is being spared at the Madstad in their search for such a rare beast :|

I'm not even going to go there with the Forster stuff :roll: however, Woodcote is right about releasing Noel Hunt being a poor decision and I did say this at the time

- championship standard forward
- always gives 100%
- not on extortionate wages I would presume
- loves the club
- wouldn't bitch if not a first team starter

Ideal as cover for injuries/loss of form/ballsed up transfer windows

Should never have let him go

Well yes, but all very easy to say in hindsight. Adkins would have been told that funding his choice of striker(s) was no problem and maybe the club had a few lined up. Why they didn't materialise is open to debate, but the plan to bring in a new, younger face on a long-term contract rather than be forced to offer anything more than a year to Hunt was - on paper at least - a sound one.

This comes under "ballsed up transfer windows"

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Sep 2013 11:00

AirRaidSiren
AkpansBFF
Brum Royal Sat in the East behind the disabled area, so my views on the two fouls are thus:

1st booking
Running away from us, other side of the pitch so not the clearest of views for me, however, it looked a foul and on the basis of what the ref was issuing other yellows for, was a booking
I haven't seen this one again, so happy to be proved wrong on this one.

2nd booking
Right in front of us, plus saw a brief clip of the incident from the Sky coverage at HT on someone's phone.
I didn't see the arm/shirt pull. From what I saw, Pog tried to spin the two defenders, got a clip across the shin (foul), but recovered his footing, got free of the men (slightly) then threw himself (dive).
On the basis of that, I felt the referee was correct to book him for diving. However, having already been on a yellow, I would have suggested it should have been a final warning for most refs.

Brighton Red
Foot high, round Pearce's face. Given what yellow cards were being dished out for, 100% correct.

Some of the other yellows seemed very harsh, but I think these three were pretty much correct, based on (as Jason Roberts said in his post match interview) "how high the bar was set". I intend to watch the incidents on the recording tonight.

I watched the replays and if you think about it from what you said pog did get slightly clipped but went down late (I agree completely) but for his first yellow their player was slightly clipped by pog but went down late, so on one end the refs saying you caught him heres a yellow but then saying you went down too late heres a second yellow. Both incidents in context are the same and the ref hasnt stuck to his first judgement for the second.

Just watched the replay on SSN and from a different angle it shows he had his arm pulled the whole time too.

Unfortunately, the ref does not have SSN coverage on him on the field of play. From where the referee was positioned on each occasion, he had no other choice than to give a yellow for both incidents. Pog acted a bellend for his second and deserved his red. He was also 100% correct on their sending off. The ref has had some bashing on some threads but I thought overall, he did fairly well, especially with the yellow cards for Pog, Pearce and Guthrie.

Whether SSN showed Pog was being pulled or not, it equals itself out with Pearce being all over Ulloa on many occasions. Ref 7/10 rating

Incorrect. The ref did have another choice - take a breath and then apply common sense as the best refs (something the pratt yesterday will never become) do. Yes, footballers are thick but had the ref taken time to consider the situation, did he really think that a player already on a yellow would try to fabricate a foul when no offence had taken place? He could have done what he did with Lua Lua later in the game and just told Pog to get up - why no card for Lua Lua either then or on the previous occasion when he fell equally dramatically when Pog made little or no contact with him? And although the ref doesn't have SSN he does have an assistant who perhaps should have spotted there was a foul and that there was therefore no way that Pog could be booked for simulation. Did he even bother to ask his lino whether he had seen anything? I very much doubt it because this card happy nutter clearly couldn't wait to pull out his cards again.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 16 Sep 2013 11:58

Schards#2
Well yes, but all very easy to say in hindsight. Adkins would have been told that funding his choice of striker(s) was no problem and maybe the club had a few lined up. Why they didn't materialise is open to debate, but the plan to bring in a new, younger face on a long-term contract rather than be forced to offer anything more than a year to Hunt was - on paper at least - a sound one.

This comes under "ballsed up transfer windows"

Agree 100%. Whilst our general approach to controlling finances is laudable, it just gives the impression that there's never a plan B. Unless, of course, the club views plan B as the "we'll go with what we've got" mantra.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Sep 2013 12:01

schards Well yes, but all very easy to say in hindsight. Adkins would have been told that funding his choice of striker(s) was no problem

im sure funding was available. its just when you have a pissing contest against a richer owner, you're almost always going to lose.

and maybe the club had a few lined up. Why they didn't materialise is open to debate, but the plan to bring in a new, younger face on a long-term contract rather than be forced to offer anything more than a year to Hunt was - on paper at least - a sound one.

agreed.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Sep 2013 12:01

littlejohnnyoster other than his stupid antics, pog looked keen, really up for it and exactly what we need ie a player who can and will hold the play up and piss off defenders. Alf was completely anonymous, whreas Pog spent the first 20 mins causing problems. Stupid behaviour for his card but i still think he can sort him self out and provide for us.

Agree too that no-one is ever second yellowed for a dive outside the box and when guthrie/ lualua did similar pathetic tumbles the ref turned a blind eye.

yeah agreed. on the ref, and particularly pog who was having his best game in ages before the incident

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Sep 2013 12:12

Schards#2
Woodcote Royal Releasing Noel Hunt and keeping this joker simply beggars belief, as does Schard's view that Pog is more likely to score than the "anonymous" Alf, who already has 3 goals in this campaign................................but, there again, this the man who always insisted the sun shone from Nicky Forster's backside :|

Any club looking for a player who knows 10 different ways to dive or fall over will pay a fortune for POG......................and I doubt any expense is being spared at the Madstad in their search for such a rare beast :|

I'm not even going to go there with the Forster stuff :roll: however, Woodcote is right about releasing Noel Hunt being a poor decision and I did say this at the time

- championship standard forward
- always gives 100%
- not on extortionate wages I would presume
- loves the club
- wouldn't bitch if not a first team starter

Ideal as cover for injuries/loss of form/ballsed up transfer windows

Should never have let him go

Fair enough, we'll leave Fozzy in the distant past :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 16 Sep 2013 12:15

Interesting view which sums up why the ref cocked up yesterday. Given that it is notoriously difficult to call correctly instantly, ref should have taken breath, taken into account the fact that it would be a second yellow and therefore red (would a player really be silly enough to risk that?), and either given Pog benefit of doubt or waved appeal away and subsequently had a word in his ear the next time play stopped.

Phil McNulty
Chief football writer - The calls for greater punishment for diving are growing after Ashley Young's yellow card against Crystal Palace. It is, however, a notoriously difficult offence for a referee to call instantly and correctly in the high tempo of a match unless it is an open-and-shut case, as with Young. There may be a stronger case for inflicting increased retrospective punishment on the offender when it is an obvious dive, as Young's was.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Sep 2013 12:24

For once in a month of Sundays, I thought the ref had a decent game.

POG spends more time looking for fouls by falling over/diving than trying to do justify his place by scoring goals (even one a month would be a huge improvement on his current form :| )

Frankly, only the fact he's been sent off just twice since he's been here surprises me.............................he's a yellow/red card for simulation waiting to happen and we should count ourselves lucky it's been such a rare occurrence so far.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Sep 2013 12:41

Woodcote Royal For once in a month of Sundays,1. I thought the ref had a decent game.

2. POG spends more time looking for fouls by falling over/diving than trying to do justify his place by scoring goals (even one a month would be a huge improvement on his current form :| )

r.

1.:D

& 2. thats because he takes an awfukl lot of physical punishment that players would never get away with on a smaller player.

a foul is a foul, no matter how big the foulee is

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 16 Sep 2013 12:47

Woodcote Royal For once in a month of Sundays, I thought the ref had a decent game.

In which case you ought to become an FA assessor because they don't seem to have much clue either!

Leaving aside the wrongly issued card for Pog - under the laws of the game you can't be guilty of simulation if you are actually fouled - he completely destroyed the game from both sides' point of view. Throwing cards around like confetti, utterly pernickety during first half re placement of ball, slightly rolling ball etc. whilst completely the opposite in the second half, repeatedly inconsistent re view and treatment of offences (for both teams) and so on.

Apparently this guy is averaging a red card per game so far this season. That is way over the average and far more than you would normally expect. Given that he has now been in charge of something like 8 games, has he just been unlucky and ended up with 8 really hard to manage contests between troublesome games or does it say something about his lack of ability to properly oversee games?

A pretty easy answer to that, I would suggest.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Sep 2013 12:48

it was the inconsistency

2nd yellow/red for the dive

but failed to give anything when they did exactly the same/worse

pogs first booking for instance

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 16 Sep 2013 13:17

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Sep 2013 13:29

RoyalBlue
Woodcote Royal For once in a month of Sundays, I thought the ref had a decent game.

In which case you ought to become an FA assessor because they don't seem to have much clue either!

Leaving aside the wrongly issued card for Pog - under the laws of the game you can't be guilty of simulation if you are actually fouled - he completely destroyed the game from both sides' point of view. Throwing cards around like confetti, utterly pernickety during first half re placement of ball, slightly rolling ball etc. whilst completely the opposite in the second half, repeatedly inconsistent re view and treatment of offences (for both teams) and so on.

Apparently this guy is averaging a red card per game so far this season. That is way over the average and far more than you would normally expect. Given that he has now been in charge of something like 8 games, has he just been unlucky and ended up with 8 really hard to manage contests between troublesome games or does it say something about his lack of ability to properly oversee games?

A pretty easy answer to that, I would suggest.

My assessment was a relative one. Given the utter shite that usually passes for our match day officials, this guy didn't do a bad job.

By the time POG threw himself to the ground, no one was fouling him. While the defender had been cute enough to hide his foul, he (how old is he 29 :| ) having just been booked for a very clumsy offence simply begged the ref to reach for his card a second time..........................he's fast becoming a highly expensive non scoring twat who contributes very little to the cause.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Sep 2013 13:51

Having now seen the footage I would say both yellows were unlucky but in both instances he gave the ref the opportunity. The first one it looks to me like there no contact and Lua Lua actually dives about two yards further on. For the second his arm is clearly being tugged but by going down in the manner he did it looked like a dive.

However based on the Pog's second yellow for diving with minimal contact then Lua Lua should have been booked for his dive which got Pog his first yellow. He was yellow carded for a foul 10 minutes later.
Last edited by Wycombe Royal on 16 Sep 2013 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 16 Sep 2013 13:57

@RoyalBlue

"Incorrect. The ref did have another choice - take a breath and then apply common sense as the best refs (something the pratt yesterday will never become) do. Yes, footballers are thick but had the ref taken time to consider the situation, did he really think that a player already on a yellow would try to fabricate a foul when no offence had taken place? He could have done what he did with Lua Lua later in the game and just told Pog to get up - why no card for Lua Lua either then or on the previous occasion when he fell equally dramatically when Pog made little or no contact with him? And although the ref doesn't have SSN he does have an assistant who perhaps should have spotted there was a foul and that there was therefore no way that Pog could be booked for simulation. Did he even bother to ask his lino whether he had seen anything? I very much doubt it because this card happy nutter clearly couldn't wait to pull out his cards again."

The ref does not need to ask his assistant for his input on each foul, if he clearly saw each one for himself. You cannot argue that Pog's first clumsy tackle wasn't a yellow card? You cannot honesty argue in Pog's defence for the blatant diving? I cannot give you an opinion on the Lua Lua situation, as I didn't see it myself.

The referee didn't need to go over to his assistant to ask if Pog had tripped over the Brighton player(sorry, can't remember who it was), when he must of seen it clearly for himself. He also didn't need to ask the assistant for his opinion of the diving from Pog, again, he clearly saw it for himself. The referee only uses his assistant's when he isn't sure or when the assistant can see something the referee can't/couldn't.

I didn't see the Drenthe booking, so I can't comment on that, but our other yellow cards that were given were 100% correct from where I was sitting, in fact, Pearce was very lucky not to get a yellow before he did.

After seeing the Pog diving incident on tv later that evening, I hope Adkins gets to see the coverage and rips Pog a new arsehole. Considering he was on a yellow and then does that? Pathetic to be honest and he deserved to go.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Sep 2013 14:01

Here is some poor quality footage....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ije2kwYm0-U

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 16 Sep 2013 14:01

why do I watch F1 & Football..... STILL? It's total, boring , infuriating W.A.N.K !

964 posts