BFTG - Leeds

261 posts
P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Leeds

by P!ssed Off » 18 Sep 2013 23:10

SCIAG Surely people should have learned by now not to leave early?

So many of my favourite moments supporting this club have come in added time. You're essentially paying in hope of seeing something memorable, and you're most likely to see something really memorable in the final minutes. So why leave early?

Anyway, Blackman looked poor, and HRK only looked good when he got to run at goal- I don't think playing as a striker gives him those opportunities. Guthrie was excellent. Bridge looks good.

A midfield two of Akpan and Williams fills me with dread. I'd like to see us draft in Tshibola AND Tanner in the event that Guthrie's injury keeps him out. We needs more creativity in the final third (haven't we always?) as well as more support for the striker, and I think Tanner could provide both.

Tshibola would be the ideal replacement for Guthrie, if he's out.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 18 Sep 2013 23:12

SCIAG Surely people should have learned by now not to leave early?

I left early for the second time ever in my life.

I'm a total idiot for it as no matter how bad a match is I generally stay till all players off pitch. Feel like sh*t but it's my own fault. I won't be doing it again and I'm glad for othes who didn't stupidly leave!

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 18 Sep 2013 23:13

CayeneMatt
Colin Cheeselog For 95 minutes it was the worst game I've seen in many years. We were very lucky that Leeds were also appalling, a decent team would have thrashed us.

Nick Blackman is not a footballer.

That is all.

You didn't see the Brighton game? Agree on Blackman.

No, I was in Kenya.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 18 Sep 2013 23:15

2 world wars, 1 world cup From the radio it sounded like Blackman had a few chances and seemed to be pacey and get himself in the right place a few times?

He can't have been *that* bad surely?

He saw enough of the ball to say he got decent service. He oxf*rd up enough to say he is not a good striker. He held it up occasionally and made the odd good turn............... But in all honesty, he is gashhhhhhhhhh.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 18 Sep 2013 23:15

EDIT: Bollox, did a Blackman & oxf*rd it up....
Last edited by Cureton's Volley on 18 Sep 2013 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 18 Sep 2013 23:15

I thought that was Blackmans best game for us. Not saying it was any good, but the best he's done.

Other than that Guthrie was the motm for me. Back 4 were solid and especially Bridge playing well again. If Morro had scored one of his 3 free headers, it could have been a much easier game.

Dunno what Drenthe was on, but he needs to bring more to the game than he does currently.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 18 Sep 2013 23:15

I was pleasantly surprised tonight.

In the first half we dominated possession & Leeds couldn't get the ball for most of it. Admittedly we didn't create much bar the 2 Morrison headers (he should've finished the 2nd chance as the cross was a peach).

Morrison & Pearce looked pretty good tonight as did Kelly & Bridge. Right back 4 IMO & hope Gunter doesn't come back in for a while now.

Guthrie - MOM AGAIN. Like someone else said he bossed it.

HRK - Looked lively in parts. Very selfish of him not to put Blackman through in the 2nd half though - he would've scored for sure.

Can't be bothered to rate anyone else but I thought we passed well at times. Looking better - pretty happy tonight.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 18 Sep 2013 23:17

How did Kelly / Bridge fare today

Were Blackman / Akpan really that awful?

Did Brian & Noel get agood reception?

Should I be as gutted as I am for missing this due to working away. Or can someone let me know if we were better than vs Brighton?

Ta
Last edited by royalp-we on 18 Sep 2013 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 18 Sep 2013 23:18

2 world wars, 1 world cup From the radio it sounded like Blackman had a few chances and seemed to be pacey and get himself in the right place a few times?

He can't have been *that* bad surely?

He was ok, but people need someone to vent their anger at or blame for everything that goes wrong. Would rather Blackman as a striker than HRK.

McCarthy - 6. Nothing to do
Kelly - 7
Pearce - 7
Morrison - 7
Bridge - 8
Karacan - no time
Guthrie - 8
Williams - 6
Drenthe - 6
Blackman - 6. Better than a lot of people think :roll:
HRK - 5. Has no vision at all. Blackman should have had 2 but HRK messed it up.

Akpan - 6
McCleary - 6
ALF - 7.
Fans who mocked Blackman - 0
We were awful as soon as Blackman and HRK went off. HRK at least held up the ball and brought others into play.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 18 Sep 2013 23:18

3 points papers over the cracks again. Better performance but far from good enough.

Guthrie outstanding in midfield, but Akpan and Williams dire alongside him. Both easily pushed off the ball, the same with Williams at the weekend also. For a big man he's far too easily pushed off the ball.

One striker up front isn't working and will not work. We simply don't have the players to support the lone striker. We had a couple of decent balls into the box tonight, and with one man to aim for, the ball passed him by every time. We need two up front, either try adopt a 4-3-1-2 formation, or a 4-4-2 which we are better suited to. We just don't have enough quality to make one up front work.

Sneaking a winner is great, even sweater against that lot, but it really does just hide a mountain of problems.

Adkins says Jem's injury is a bad one, so that's him out for a few months now at the very least. If we were serious about Sissoko, we now must go out and get another CM, or look to young Jake Taylor. And the need for another striker is even more apparent.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 18 Sep 2013 23:19

MmmMonsterMunch HRK - Looked lively in parts. Very selfish of him not to put Blackman through in the 2nd half though - he would've scored for sure.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 18 Sep 2013 23:20

P!ssed Off
MmmMonsterMunch HRK - Looked lively in parts. Very selfish of him not to put Blackman through in the 2nd half though - he would've scored for sure.

He was clean through. IMO he would have scored.

Presume you're one of the constructive people jeering him when he got subbed then? :roll:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 18 Sep 2013 23:20

I thought it was a lot better than Sunday - even if it had stayed at 0-0. The goal was fortunate (very late) and not deserved, but about time we had a bit of luck.

Back 4 did well - Leeds had very few chances, but we have as much penetration as a man with the severest form of ED. However, I actually thought HRK and Blackman showed a few (admittedly few) times when they looked like they might be able to form a partnership. HRK probably held the ball up better than any of our strikers have so far this season - but that is not saying much and shows how light we are up front. I think he is probably the best option we have to start in the central striker role just now. ALF is just so much better off the bench.

Drenthe better today I thought. Williams also better than Sunday, but Guthrie stole the show as far as I was concerned and was clear MOTM for the way he controlled CM and sprayed the ball around.

Really worried about Karacan - that looked very bad and I fear it might be a long time till we see him again. If Guthrie is also out with injury, we will be very light at CM as well. Perhaps a chance for D'Ath or Taylor?

And well done to Adkins - who won the battle of the managers - although the Leeds squad does not look anywhere near the quality of our one and Brian is working a miracle to get them as high as they are so far IMO. They will do well to finish top half.

finchroyal

by finchroyal » 18 Sep 2013 23:21

just got back great win.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 18 Sep 2013 23:24

Missed the first two mins coz the busses were all stuck in traffic so prob missed something... but Brian got couple of 'backhand compliment' chants during the game, and Noel got a standing ovation when subbed.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 18 Sep 2013 23:25

Blackman and Akpan are 2 players that should not be in a championship starting 11 that is looking to be up there in the mix

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 18 Sep 2013 23:26

MmmMonsterMunch
P!ssed Off

He was clean through. IMO he would have scored.

Presume you're one of the constructive people jeering him when he got subbed then? :roll:

Couldn't make the game.
Listened on the radio.
I just can't believe my ears.
The thought of Blackman potentially scoring makes me :lol: .
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 18 Sep 2013 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 18 Sep 2013 23:27

loyalroyal4life Blackman and Akpan are 2 players that should not be in a championship starting 11 that is looking to be up there in the mix

Judging by NA's reaction everytime Akpan pulled out of a tackle, and there were many, I don't reckon we'll see him again anytime soon. It was real rabbit in the headlights stuff....

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 18 Sep 2013 23:28

Great scenes at the end, went mental on the stairs.

Decent atmosphere, very inconsistent though.

Best performance since Watford, but still not matching those first three league games.

Very good from Bridge and Pearce.

Drenthe was better again today.

Thought Guthrie wasn't great, but I seem to be alone in this opinion.

I hate EVERYONE who was chanting Alfie's name when he wasn't on the pitch.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Sep 2013 23:34

Decent game where we lacked a little upfront predictably given the line up and Leeds'ndefence. Don't think Adkins got the line up quite right, but it wasn't far off.

McCarthy 7 not a huge amount to do. One poor throw and one kick out.
Kelly 7 much more solid than Gunter. Not as good going forward, but only by a little.
Bridge 8 quality player
Pearce 7 better than Sunday
Morrison 7 bit more accuracy with headers at attacking set pieces please
Guthrie 8 ticking heart of everthing we do. Not a flawless game, but so important for us. MOTM
Williams 7 better, still a little improvement needed as a starter
Karacan 6 hope he's ok, but he did injure himself with a stupid foul
Drenthe 6 soke great, some poor some anonymous. Think he may take a little time to really find his feet, but he's got the goods.
Robson-Kanu 7 started right wing but quickly went central when Blackman showed how toss he is. Worked hard and did alright. Unlucky to go off I thought.
Blackman 4 rubbish upfront and bar one or two decent passes / runs he was rubbish wide right too

Akpan 5 mediocre. Loose passing and weak on the ball at time. Could do with putting on more muscle to fill out a little.
ALF 7 some decent play although didn't get much decent ball. Did was he was asked to do and won the game winning a freekick and then scoring from it.
McCleary 6 ok but doesn't seem to make good decisions often enough. Much better than Blackman though.

We troubled Leeds with set pieces whenever we put a decent ball in. We should have done a little better with a couple of chances and were rarely seriously troubled at the back. Draw probably would have been fairest, but we did enough to edge it.

Where are all the complaints about our defence and lack of clean sheets now you impatient doommongering bellends?

261 posts