Pogrebnyak

964 posts
Magic Hat

Re: Pogrebnyak

by Magic Hat » 23 Sep 2013 11:57

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24205140

Reading striker Pavel Pogrebnyak says despite having the opportunity to leave the club in the summer he is fully focussed on helping the Royals win promotion back into the Premier League. Pogrebnyak, 29, scored his first two goals of the season on Saturday to help Reading defeat Derby 3-1.

"I hope we will be in the top two and we must work hard for this," he told BBC Radio Berkshire. "I hope we can.
"I had some opportunity to go, but I don't want to speak about it anymore."
He added: "Now my head is with Reading and I want to work hard to help the team get into the Premier League."
The former Fulham forward began the season out of favour at the Madejski Stadium but a meeting with manager Nigel Adkins to resolve his future saw his re-introduction into the starting line-up.
And Pogrebnyak's goals against Derby meant the Russian ended a bad week on a high, having been sent off in the 0-0 draw against Brighton last Sunday.
"They were my first two goals of the season but I'm happier the team won," he said.

Usually the fans sing for Adam Le Fondre, but today they sung for me

Pavel Pogrebnyak
"It was difficult after the game against Brighton - I just needed to keep going and keep my head up and today was good."
Pogrebnyak, who is still yet to win over many Reading fans, hopes if he can continue scoring his goals will help fire them into the Premier League following relegation last season.
"Of course it's important for the fans to like me," he said. "Usually they sing for Adam Le Fondre, but today they sung for me.
"I did not expect the Championship to be so hard. You must be good physically and work hard every game.
"I hope we will be in the top two and we must work hard for this. I hope we can."

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 23 Sep 2013 12:32

Magic Hat http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24205140

Reading striker Pavel Pogrebnyak says despite having the opportunity to leave the club in the summer he is fully focussed on helping the Royals win promotion back into the Premier League. Pogrebnyak, 29, scored his first two goals of the season on Saturday to help Reading defeat Derby 3-1.

"I hope we will be in the top two and we must work hard for this," he told BBC Radio Berkshire. "I hope we can.
He added: "Now my head is with Reading and I want to work hard to help the team get into the Premier League."
The former Fulham forward began the season out of favour at the Madejski Stadium but a meeting with manager Nigel Adkins to resolve his future saw his re-introduction into the starting line-up.
And Pogrebnyak's goals against Derby meant the Russian ended a bad week on a high, having been sent off in the 0-0 draw against Brighton last Sunday.
"They were my first two goals of the season but I'm happier the team won," he said.

Pavel Pogrebnyak
"It was difficult after the game against Brighton - I just needed to keep going and keep my head up and today was good."
Pogrebnyak, who is still yet to win over many Reading fans, hopes if he can continue scoring his goals will help fire them into the Premier League following relegation last season.
"Of course it's important for the fans to like me," he said. "Usually they sing for Adam Le Fondre, but today they sung for me.
"I did not expect the Championship to be so hard. You must be good physically and work hard every game.
"I hope we will be in the top two and we must work hard for this. I hope we can."

Quite hard not to soften one's views on him after this. I've been as harsh as anyone on him, but I believe it's because I fell victim to a really basic error. You are big, therefore you win everything in the air.

His size is a bit of a Red Herring. He is a unit, but not an aerial dominator - his strength is best used when the ball is on the deck - using his body as a shield, holding off defenders etc. and therefore should be given a complete second chance under Adkins to impress.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Sep 2013 12:47

The Goat was fed

Pavel Pogrebnyak

Quite hard not to soften one's views on him after this. I've been as harsh as anyone on him, but I believe it's because I fell victim to a really basic error. You are big, therefore you win everything in the air.

His size is a bit of a Red Herring. He is a unit, but not an aerial dominator - his strength is best used when the ball is on the deck - using his body as a shield, holding off defenders etc. and therefore should be given a complete second chance under Adkins to impress.

I agree I think he plays best with balls to his feet (tee-hee) leaning back on defenders and playing the ball back to advancing midfielders then turning to get into a good position but I, for one, am yet to say a negative thing about him! I have often voiced my support for him and All I can hope is he keeps up the work rate and gets a few more goals in.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Sep 2013 13:55

"Of course it's important for the fans to like me," he said. "Usually they sing for Adam Le Fondre, but today they sung for me."

How cute.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Sep 2013 13:57

i know! bless his little heart

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 23 Sep 2013 14:17

If he stays with us until the end of the season I reckon he'll be our top scorer in league matches.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Sep 2013 14:23

Aw, whodathunk scoring some goals and playing well rather than sulking around the pitch looking for a way out would earn some respect from the fans?

By god I think he's cracked it.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Sep 2013 15:01

I love the Pog tbh. He scored one of my favourite ever Reading goals, piling on the pressure against QPR in the League Cup last season at 2-2 he beautifully finished a ball across the 6 yard box by backheeling it agonisingly and accurately into the corner of the net and then celebrated in front of me by touching the tips of his fingers together and bringing his arms around in an arc in the style of a conjurer saying "Ta-daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

Then 5 minutes after that piece of magic he missed a penalty to deny himself a hatrick :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Sep 2013 15:05

floyd__streete I love the Pog tbh. He scored one of my favourite ever Reading goals, piling on the pressure against QPR in the League Cup last season at 2-2 he beautifully finished a ball across the 6 yard box by backheeling it agonisingly and accurately into the corner of the net and then celebrated in front of me by touching the tips of his fingers together and bringing his arms around in an arc in the style of a conjurer saying "Ta-daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

Then 5 minutes after that piece of magic he missed a penalty to deny himself a hatrick :lol:

He only scored once in that game...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Sep 2013 15:06

genome
floyd__streete I love the Pog tbh. He scored one of my favourite ever Reading goals, piling on the pressure against QPR in the League Cup last season at 2-2 he beautifully finished a ball across the 6 yard box by backheeling it agonisingly and accurately into the corner of the net and then celebrated in front of me by touching the tips of his fingers together and bringing his arms around in an arc in the style of a conjurer saying "Ta-daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa".

I thought penalties counted as 2 goals?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Sep 2013 15:07

genome

:oops:

What can I say, he's charmed me. I think I enjoyed that backheel so much I've counted it twice. Hundreds of you were hoodwinked by Kebe for several years. I'm like that with Pog.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Sep 2013 15:09

NewCorkSeth
genome

I thought penalties counted as 2 goals?

Only if you've already been booked.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Sep 2013 15:09

TBF it was pretty dazzling. In fact every goal in that game seemed to be amazing. Gorkss' towering header, Shorey's free kick, Pog's backheel, Hoilett's run and shot, and Cisse's rocket. Top stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UwjqgfbFU0

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Sep 2013 15:11

genome TBF it was pretty dazzling. In fact every goal in that game seemed to be amazing. Gorkss' towering header, Shorey's free kick, Pog's backheel, Hoilett's run and shot, and Cisse's rocket. Top stuff.

Some great goals between two fantastic sides.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Sep 2013 15:13

genome TBF it was pretty dazzling. In fact every goal in that game seemed to be amazing. Gorkss' towering header, Shorey's free kick, Pog's backheel, Hoilett's run and shot, and Cisse's rocket. Top stuff.

I liked the way that Pog's winner took an eternity to roll in, with all the thrill of a delayed moment of sexual ecstasy. In fact, given where I was sat low down in the bottom tier, if the net hadn't robbed the ball of all momentum it would eventually have rolled into my open mouth.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 23 Sep 2013 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Sep 2013 15:13

Pepe the Horseman

Some great goals between two fantastic sides.

:lol:

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 23 Sep 2013 15:20

One of the few highlights from an altogether awful season. Enjoyed banging the back of the stand until my hand hurt.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 23 Sep 2013 15:53

floyd__streete

I liked the way that Pog's winner took an eternity to roll in, with all the thrill of a delayed moment of sexual ecstasy. In fact, given where I was sat low down in the bottom tier, if the net hadn't robbed the ball of all momentum it would eventually have rolled into my open mouth.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 23 Sep 2013 15:57

Zaretsky One of the few highlights from an altogether awful season. Enjoyed banging the back of the stand until my hand hurt.

I read that as "until my head hurt" and had a real moment of cognitive dissonance imagining the usually lucid Zaretsky gleefully smashing his skull against a concrete wall in derranged jubilation.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 Sep 2013 17:35

floyd__streete

Nice work.

964 posts