Back from the game as soon as SWFC

177 posts
LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game as soon as SWFC

by LUX » 02 Nov 2013 19:53

Fwiw* the Sky Sports reporter at the game said Reading had been the better team all game ( this was at 3-1 mind) and missed many good chances.

*V little. Jeff Stelling was back at Hillsboro two minutes later for 4-1.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 02 Nov 2013 19:59

I always read the BFTG comments first thing every Sunday morning over here in Australia and they are much appreciated as it is often the only real sense of how the game went that is available to me. This morning I am feeling very underwhelmed by Adkins' performance so far. We have the players and I totally accept that it takes time to get used to a new system but a drubbing by the bottom side suggests we are nowhere near where we are hoping to be in terms of performance at least.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 02 Nov 2013 19:59

AirRaidSiren
USA_Loyal_Royal okay i see this game as a disaster BUT every season every team (or almost every team) in the league gets absolutely thrashed by another team. this was ours and it happened to be done by the bottom of the league team. i dont think wednesday were as bad as everyone thought if they had been able to pull off a few of those draws as wins they would be midtable. its not as bad as we think it is imo. NA now should see all of the holes in our defense that have been present for the most part of this season and he should do a job in trying to fix them in the upcoming games. this game could be a turning point for our season as it gave some players an ego deflation, and showed them they need to work harder. if we can get williams and drenthe back from injury soon i feel like we can make a decent run. we are already in a fantastic position this early in the season. anyone remember where we were in 2011 in our title winning season in november?

SPOT ON

Christ you sound like Adkins saying we played well today! We have just got thrashed by the bottom team. Lets just say we are a very average side thats won't improve by bringing in Drenthe and Williams. Christ do we always have to be so positive and reasonable. Lets gets some fire and spirit. Could you have seen Ady and Gooding being rolled over like today. Could you have seen Parky or Murty letting that happen. Truth is there's no guts in the team

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 02 Nov 2013 20:03

In the first half we were treated to some of most inept and clueless bits of defending I have seen in years.

The attempts to pass the ball out from the back were painful to watch. The players were not good enough to play this way. Really basic errors in control cost us dear and we handed them three goals on a plate.

At times it was rabbits in headlights - Kelly and Pearce were utter dogs**t. Only the Pog came out of this disaster with any credit.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 02 Nov 2013 20:04

NewCorkSeth
floyd__streete
southbank1871 It was more the "it's hard when, you know there's not many of our supporters here" bit.

Yep :|

What a peculiar and desperate comment. Dead man walking tbh.

yeah lets fire him because we are only 5th.. I suppose Watford should fire their manager too? Why not Forrest while were at it..

Craig Forrest?

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 02 Nov 2013 20:06

Agreed with the previous poster- goodness me how we could do with Ady Williams, Parky and Micky Gooding in this team.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Nov 2013 20:10

sure I heard a "we move on" within that leeeennnnggghhhhttthhhhhyyy interview.

Sounded like that is the second game running that Guthrie has been missing....at least he actually travelled this time tho'

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 02 Nov 2013 20:16

I didn't go today so can't share an opinion other than I am puzzled and have no explanation as to why we are 5th despite throwing away 4 points at Millwall and Watford and with against the odds results at Barnsley and Sheffield W. today.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 02 Nov 2013 20:17

Everyone chill.

Yes that was a horror show. Left back is a real problem with Bridge being made being made of paper, Baird's performances have really dropped off, Morrison is young and his form is a worry and it's time to drop Obita (even though he is a real prospect) and bring back McAnuff. He says himself that he's not a winger, not sure I've seen him beat a man yet. I feel we need to settle on a formation and team now though, stick with it, there are too many changes at the moment.

BUT we are still 5th, what would the moaning be like if we were 16th!!?

The Championship is a slog, it's unlikely we'll get automatic promotion, but the playoffs are still a real possibility, no need to panic. Long will sign in January I'm told!

Usually I'm the first to whinge, so this post surprises me!!

Win next weekend against QPR, believe everyone.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 02 Nov 2013 20:38

Scarface Everyone chill.

Yes that was a horror show. Left back is a real problem with Bridge being made being made of paper, Baird's performances have really dropped off, Morrison is young and his form is a worry and it's time to drop Obita (even though he is a real prospect) and bring back McAnuff. He says himself that he's not a winger, not sure I've seen him beat a man yet. I feel we need to settle on a formation and team now though, stick with it, there are too many changes at the moment.

BUT we are still 5th, what would the moaning be like if we were 16th!!?

The Championship is a slog, it's unlikely we'll get automatic promotion, but the playoffs are still a real possibility, no need to panic. Long will sign in January I'm told!

Usually I'm the first to whinge, so this post surprises me!!

Win next weekend against QPR, believe everyone.

Win next weekend and I will believe in Father Christmas, the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny!

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 02 Nov 2013 20:41

" but in the end we just got thumped 5-2 away from home."

Most sense Adkins has spoke, thumped being the operative word

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Nov 2013 21:04

That was yet another load of clueless crap at the back. Kelly is NOT a left back so how on earth NA thinks it's acceptable to start a season with only one old and knackered left back is quite beyond me

Pearce is an accident waiting to happen and filling quite nicely for Kelly in that respect.

Gunter continually looks nervous and really isn't helping anyone by being on the pitch.

I really do not know what on earth McCarthy thought he was doing for their third, the 4 idiots in front of him were a) not moving very much and b) closely monitored by opponent yet he still went for a short pass rather than the more intelligent welly up the field given the circumstances. I wonder how much of that is down to orders from the management

Still trying to fathom out the point of Robson-Kanu he really doesn't offer anything very much and certainly is not a player for the next level.

Pogrebnyak was man of the match.

Based on that shower we need, in addition to the attacking midfielder and 20 goal a season striker we already know about, a central defender and a left back. But don't worry there's a transfer window coming along shortly where we'll be amazed by yet more non activity as we try to persuade Premier League players to make the step down....

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 02 Nov 2013 21:07

I couldnt attend or watch because of working, which has been the case lots recently, but when i saw we lost today I was thinking, maybe Adkins has lost the plot.... But then when i see we are 5th, we cant complain!!!!

Think of where we were under Rodgers. Add more consistency to our style of play and we will be solid play off/ automatics

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 02 Nov 2013 21:38

Wasn't at the game, just watched via live stream

We seem to have lost that resilience we had in the McD years which I think is needed for the long slog in the championship. Yes it's great to play some more attractive football but only if the players are up for the job. The back four look utterly terrified every time they have the ball and need to pick a pass

There's something to be said sometimes for an ugly 1:0 win which we used to be capable of. We looked an utter shambles defensively today

Also where's the passion?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 02 Nov 2013 21:39

Been back in Chesterfield for a while, but I still can't get my head around what I saw. We weren't that bad going forward, but Jesus our defence looked like they'd never met. I thought Pog was outstanding in terms of his effort and how well he held the ball up. I thought McCarthy played very well in parts, but his communication with the clowns in our defence clearly wasn't up to much. Obita did ok I thought, better than most of the team. Stinkers from Baird, Pearce, Kelly, Guthrie and Robson-Kanu, who is not a bloody striker....I don't care what he thinks, he is a bloody winger!! Wednesday weren't actually that good (we were much worse though!!!) They kept giving the ball away AND weren't really comfortable until they went 4-1 up. Hell, even their fans weren't noisy until the 4th went in and then they all started to go home anyway. Never heard a ground so quiet after a 5-2 win. However their direct tactics worked really well because our defence have clearly never had to deal with a bouncing football heading towards their own goal. Just a very weird game.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 02 Nov 2013 22:20

Woeful, inept showing from a team who have as much confidence in their manager as I do tbh.

What has actually improved under Adkins? The answer is nothing. Yes, we keep the ball a bit more, but we have no clinicality and we just keep passing the ball further and further back until we lose possesion cheaply. The defence is a shambles, how McAnuff doesn't play is beyond me, and Hal Robson-Kanu has gotten worse since his impressive campaign last term. He missed a guilt edged opportunity in the second half which he should have put away.

Fair play to the fans that travelled, we certainly made ourselves audible to the under performing players we came to support.
Last edited by LoyalRoyalFan on 02 Nov 2013 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Nov 2013 22:24

paddy20
AirRaidSiren
USA_Loyal_Royal okay i see this game as a disaster BUT every season every team (or almost every team) in the league gets absolutely thrashed by another team. this was ours and it happened to be done by the bottom of the league team. i dont think wednesday were as bad as everyone thought if they had been able to pull off a few of those draws as wins they would be midtable. its not as bad as we think it is imo. NA now should see all of the holes in our defense that have been present for the most part of this season and he should do a job in trying to fix them in the upcoming games. this game could be a turning point for our season as it gave some players an ego deflation, and showed them they need to work harder. if we can get williams and drenthe back from injury soon i feel like we can make a decent run. we are already in a fantastic position this early in the season. anyone remember where we were in 2011 in our title winning season in november?

SPOT ON

Christ you sound like Adkins saying we played well today!

I didn't realise Adkins gave 2 word interviews

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 02 Nov 2013 22:26

LoyalRoyalFan Woeful, inept showing from a team who have as much confidence in their manager as I do tbh.

What has actually improved undet Adkins? The answer is nothing. Yes, we keep the ball a bit more, but we have no clinicality and we just keep passing the ball further and further back until we lose possesion cheaply. The defence is a shambles, how McAnuff doesn't play is beyond me, and Hal Robson-Kanu has gotten worse since his impressive campaign last term. He missed a guilt edged opportunity in the second half which he should have put away.

Fair play to the fans that travelled, we certainly made oursrlves audible to the under perfirming players we came to support.

Yadda yadda yadda

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Nov 2013 22:34

Actually in a pretty good mood, beer does plenty for away days like that. Plenty of overreactions on here as per usual

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 02 Nov 2013 23:08

AirRaidSiren
LoyalRoyalFan Woeful, inept showing from a team who have as much confidence in their manager as I do tbh.

What has actually improved undet Adkins? The answer is nothing. Yes, we keep the ball a bit more, but we have no clinicality and we just keep passing the ball further and further back until we lose possesion cheaply. The defence is a shambles, how McAnuff doesn't play is beyond me, and Hal Robson-Kanu has gotten worse since his impressive campaign last term. He missed a guilt edged opportunity in the second half which he should have put away.

Fair play to the fans that travelled, we certainly made oursrlves audible to the under perfirming players we came to support.

Yadda yadda yadda

Care to suggest otherwise?

177 posts