Back from the game as soon as SWFC

177 posts
Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game as soon as SWFC

by Big Foot » 04 Nov 2013 16:24

LoyalRoyal22 He did not dig at the away following. Your wishing he did though. Like he gives a oxf*rd what the Brian bum brigade thinks anyway.

Why even mention the away following? Bizarre comment from a man who is clinging on to his reputation after signing duds in the summer and bigging up our chances.

Nigel Adkins =/= Uri Gellar

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 04 Nov 2013 16:30

:mrgreen: fun that.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 04 Nov 2013 16:42

Big Foot
LoyalRoyal22 He did not dig at the away following. Your wishing he did though. Like he gives a oxf*rd what the Brian bum brigade thinks anyway.

Why even mention the away following? Bizarre comment from a man who is clinging on to his reputation after signing duds in the summer and bigging up our chances.

I really don't understand your dwelling on this comment he made. Are we now saying that the Reading FC manager (whomever that might be!) isn't allowed to reflect on the number of fans that made a trip to an away match? Or maybe you would prefer that he only gave answers at press conferences to pre-submitted questions? We are 5th..... that is F-I-F-T-H since I seem to need to spell it out. Not sure how any manager can be expected to plan for some of the mickey mouse defending that was performed by some of our players on Saturday. He now earns his money (or not) by seeing how we move on from here.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Nov 2013 16:48

Elm Park Pasty
Big Foot

I really don't understand your dwelling on this comment he made. Are we now saying that the Reading FC manager (whomever that might be!) isn't allowed to reflect on the number of fans that made a trip to an away match? Or maybe you would prefer that he only gave answers at press conferences to pre-submitted questions? We are 5th..... that is F-I-F-T-H since I seem to need to spell it out. Not sure how any manager can be expected to plan for some of the mickey mouse defending that was performed by some of our players on Saturday. He now earns his money (or not) by seeing how we move on from here.

Thing is his teams have had a reputation for being too open long before he came here. Surely there comes a time where he has to look at his methods on defending.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 04 Nov 2013 16:54

sandman
Elm Park Pasty I really don't understand your dwelling on this comment he made. Are we now saying that the Reading FC manager (whomever that might be!) isn't allowed to reflect on the number of fans that made a trip to an away match? Or maybe you would prefer that he only gave answers at press conferences to pre-submitted questions? We are 5th..... that is F-I-F-T-H since I seem to need to spell it out. Not sure how any manager can be expected to plan for some of the mickey mouse defending that was performed by some of our players on Saturday. He now earns his money (or not) by seeing how we move on from here.

Thing is his teams have had a reputation for being to open long before he came here. Surely there comes a time where he has to look at his methods on defending.

We all knew that when he came that the CBs are exposed as he likes his FBs to play upfield (hence probably the choice of Gunter over Kelly), what I meant was that no manager can legislate for experienced players doing silly things in places they shouldn't.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Nov 2013 17:06

Lacoste Boss laments five conceded

Manager Nigel Adkins was left desperately disappointed by the defending that saw us concede five goals away to Sheffield Wednesday.

Before today's game, only four teams had a better defensive record away from home, but the Owls put five into Alex McCarthy's net on a day to forget.

Adkins said, "We gave poor goals away and that got their tails up. I think for all five goals we had possession of the ball, collectively, some of the individual errors in the goals, you can't expect to achieve anything conceding goals like that.

"There were a few questions asked of us today, particularly defensively in the second half, but we've come up short of them, it's a heavy defeat and hard to take. I've learned a lot from the goals that went in and individuals losing duels."

The Royals put in a real Jekyll & Hyde performance, we played some good stuff going forward but were left exceptionally open at the other end. Indeed, the first question in Nigel's press conference asked how we lost a game that in the journalist's eyes we looked like winning for long periods.

The boss commented, "I'm glad you've said that, because when we've lost 5-2 it's hard for me to say it. I thought we started well and in the first 20 we were going to do something. Then we gave it away and they scored. Then we did OK again, gave it away again and they scored again, Antonio's got too much freedom on the run and scores from distance.

"We got one back from Pavel - who was outstanding and worked really hard - then we gave it away again, and they scored again from a ricochet.

"So at half time we're 3-1 and still thinking we can win the game, if we could keep a clean sheet and nullify the stupid mistakes we'd made. We should have had a penalty, we had a couple of chances, Hal from Gunter's great cutback. That would have made a difference but the result is everything. The second half deservedly belonged to Sheffield Wednesday.

"I'm sure people will be saying, 'hang on Nigel you got beat 5-2' when I say the first half performance was alright. It's about goals, goals change games and they've got a thumping victory. We know we must do better and we start again on Monday morning.

"It was not to be our day but you learn a lot about each other's character in a second half like that, a challenging period, they deservedly went on from there."

Asked if the first two goals in particular disappointed him, he said, "No, it was all five. There were poor goals, shocking goals, but I won't highlight individuals in the press. We'll talk about it in the dressing room and I've already spoken in there.

"Listen, a 5-2 scoreline is not good for anyone and I'm not hiding behind anything. It's unfortunate for the supporters who travelled up, there weren't many of our fans here but we appreciate all of them."

The boss explained his decision to take Danny Guthrie off, saying, "I took Danny off at 5-1 which is a hard one because I've got one eye on next week. He's very influential but is on four bookings so I want to make sure he's available for Queens Park Rangers. You could see someone getting riled at that scoreline and getting a yellow card."

Lastly, asked if he would move on quickly from the result, he said, "We won't be brushing today under the carpet, there are things there to be addressed and that starts Monday. We'll regroup and be ready for the next game. We'll analyse it properly which is the best way forward, sometimes you can say things in the heat of the moment which are wrong.

"Sheff Wed have got good players and an excellent manager, as I highlighted before the game, and well done to them.

"I can look back on the performance, it's all ifs buts and maybes, but at the end of the day we got trounced 5-2."

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... lyxwxfF.99

Some big talk there so presumably a new centre-back in on loan for next Saturday. :wink:
Or will he brush it under the carpet and just select the same team with the message of "get out there and show what you can do and put things right" "?
BTW unless he changes his habit of picking Kanu for every other game and therefore drops him again on Saturday I think I will scream (yes a bit girly so maybe I'll growl)if that great underachiever starts the game.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Nov 2013 18:01

Elm Park Pasty
sandman
Elm Park Pasty I really don't understand your dwelling on this comment he made. Are we now saying that the Reading FC manager (whomever that might be!) isn't allowed to reflect on the number of fans that made a trip to an away match? Or maybe you would prefer that he only gave answers at press conferences to pre-submitted questions? We are 5th..... that is F-I-F-T-H since I seem to need to spell it out. Not sure how any manager can be expected to plan for some of the mickey mouse defending that was performed by some of our players on Saturday. He now earns his money (or not) by seeing how we move on from here.

Thing is his teams have had a reputation for being to open long before he came here. Surely there comes a time where he has to look at his methods on defending.

We all knew that when he came that the CBs are exposed as he likes his FBs to play upfield (hence probably the choice of Gunter over Kelly), what I meant was that no manager can legislate for experienced players doing silly things in places they shouldn't.

Really? Because I think most of us can see that players are going to make mistakes in silly places when they are being asked to play risky passes in front of their own box.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 04 Nov 2013 18:45

Its only ONE game. By the look of it the players have only themselves to blame, some the defending was dreadful. Not that surprising really, our defence without Bridge is pretty average. Wednesday are a decent side though, they wont go down.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 04 Nov 2013 19:29

RoyallyFcuked Its only ONE game. By the look of it the players have only themselves to blame, some the defending was dreadful. Not that surprising really, our defence without Bridge is pretty average. Wednesday are a decent side though, they wont go down.

I agree with 90% of that.....but Wednesday a decent side? Both teams were awful......they were just less awful in front of goal. We had enough chances too. Blackman and Robson-Kanu had very decent chances they didn't take. I know it sounds stupid looking at the scoreline, but they really didn't outplay us. I don't think we'll go up but I'd be amazed if they did anything but struggle.

littlejohnnyoster

by littlejohnnyoster » 05 Nov 2013 14:34

She Wed will do Ok this season, just had a shocking start. Matty Fryatt and Wickham are one of the best front two in the league imo.

Still, that was shit. HRK has been shite this season, Obita looks a bit gutless, McCleary inconsistent, Drenthe has been pinochet-style 'disappeared'. Adkins likes his wide men and we don't have them, or at least, we do, theyre just playing shit. Was drooling over Antonio.

Ingham

by Ingham » 05 Nov 2013 17:25

littlejohnnyoster Was drooling over Antonio.

Never really impressed when he appeared for Reading. Think Kelly at LB may have helped him look good.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 06 Nov 2013 08:41

sandman
Really? Because I think most of us can see that players are going to make mistakes in silly places when they are being asked to play risky passes in front of their own box.

But they are not risky passes, they were poor passes.

Best football seen at RFC was M McGhee, playing out from the back. To tighten up I would try three central defenders, one who can pass would be good. The two we have at the moment are cloggers, nothing wrong with that as Hetzke Hicks and more were the same. We are crying out for Darius or Ingi type of player.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 06 Nov 2013 10:14

sandman
Elm Park Pasty
Big Foot

Thing is his teams have had a reputation for being too open long before he came here. Surely there comes a time where he has to look at his methods on defending.

It seems to me that rather like Rodgers his methods on defending seem mainly based on keeping hold of the football rather than any great method in keeping the opposition at bay.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Nov 2013 12:59

Harpers So Solid Crew
sandman

Actually they were both. When you are passing it around at the back in front of your own box then it's always risky especially when you're asking players like McCarthy and Pearce who are uncomfortable with the ball at their feet to play that way.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Nov 2013 18:01

sandman
Harpers So Solid Crew
sandman

Actually they were both. When you are passing it around at the back in front of your own box then it's always risky especially when you're asking players like McCarthy and Pearce who are uncomfortable with the ball at their feet to play that way.

Probably not quite as risky as booting the ball back to the opposition every time you get possession though like your idol chose to do.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 08 Nov 2013 16:56

Royalee
sandman When you are passing it around at the back in front of your own box then it's always risky especially when you're asking players like McCarthy and Pearce who are uncomfortable with the ball at their feet to play that way.

Probably not quite as risky as booting the ball back to the opposition every time you get possession though like your idol chose to do.

Strongly disagree.

The consensus is that under pressure at the back you clear it.

The rare few teams who break this convention and succeed have invested in the players and training required to make it work, and even then it is fallible against up-for-it teams who press hard (RE: Southampton at Liverpool). We have done neither of these things and hence should stick with convention.

Quite a shit attempt to swipe at Sir Brian, even by your standards :lol:

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 09 Nov 2013 16:38

Wednesday showing their class again today.

177 posts