Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Nov 2013 17:23

melonhead
Extended-Phenotype
melonhead i dont think you need to play like swansea/barcelona to stay up or succeed in football.
i dont think the way we play now is any more entertaining than before. its probably less so.

1) True but a better passing game and a broader plan probably helps. But then this could turn into a direct vs flowing football argument which let's be honest, I don't think anyone has succeeded in winning.

2) Agreed to an extent but then I see it as work in progress, so I'm personally not expecting us to have made the transition from direct to 'entertaining' (flowing/passing) football in this short space of time. Personal taste, I like a good passing side - if the journey to get there is a bit ugly, I'm cool with that. It's my opinion that limited football is less likely to keep you up, though of course it isn't impossible.

Some folk like a more 'honest' straightforward approach to sport. Others like things a little more elaborate and attractive. Difficult to say what works best for what level of club but I'm of the opinion that losing doesn't really matter if you put your ass on the line. I'd rather lose by taking the game to the opponent, then by being regimented and systematic and being broken down.

But again, that's a matter of taste I suppose. With Reading, I think Nigel has the right idea (for me) and I think we can achieve that target given enough patience, plus I believe we'd stand a better chance in the top flight if our football evolves in this direction.

Whether Brian could have taken us in this direction, I really don't know - perhaps he was too pragmatic to dare, maybe he was even right to be. But Adkins is our manager now and I'm yet to see anything that merits real complaint.

i dont see pressing, counter attacking quick break football as limited in any way
i do acknowledge that keeping the ball for longer will mean less goals are scored against you though
and i too see no reason for complaint in the start adkins has made on the rebuilding job

Aye, probably a bit condescending in my use of language there, wasn't really meant. Just meant 'direct/systematic' can be less free/unreserved.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Nov 2013 17:27

windermere_royal I just don`t give a shit any more, just saying FFS will this argument EVER end?

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from Hob Nob, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. McDermott has been pooh-poohed and many have made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. They pooh-poohed it. Fatal error! Because the fans who have pooh-poohed those pooh-poohing Adkins have pooh-poohed those pooh-poohs. Ultimately, we might have to disband the message board. Morale totally destroyed... by pooh-pooh.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 07 Nov 2013 17:49

windermere_royal I just don`t give a shit any more, just saying FFS will this argument EVER end?

When those who belittled McDermott and wanted him sacked for months on end get the message.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 07 Nov 2013 18:01

LoyalRoyalFan

When those who belittled McDermott and wanted him sacked for months on end get the message.

is that going to bring him back?, he`s gone, time for some people to get over it , he ain`t coming back

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Nov 2013 18:18

Is this total oxf*rd fest still going?

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 07 Nov 2013 18:24

LoyalRoyalFan

This is exactly right.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Nov 2013 18:26

windermere_royal
LoyalRoyalFan

is that going to bring him back?, he`s gone, time for some people to get over it , he ain`t coming back

And for some people to realise a man who had done a great job, had stopped doing a great job and started doing a poor job, got sacked.

He was hardly hounded out and subjected to unacceptable levels of abuse. He got some limited booing at games with poor results (Adkins has had this despite the fact we're on for the Play Offs and only lost 4 games all seaosn FFS) some reasonable online criticism here and a some not so ok abuse on here from a tiny minority of posters. Who were generally the sort of people anyone with a brain ignored anyway, or just very very pissed off and venting in a harmless way.

It's not like anyone has raped LoyalRoyalFan (or his ilk)'s mum. Some football fans got upset because their team wasn't doing very well and a man entirely legitimately lost his job. It's football. It's not like he was sacked a month into the season. It's not like he was sacked at the first run of bad results. He was given a chance to turn it round. He oxf*rd it up. He got sacked.

Fine have a whinge at the time. But perhaps, some 9 months later, you could put up, get behind the team you purport to support or just oxf*rd off and drown in your bile.

Damn. I've been sucked in again. oxf*rd.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 07 Nov 2013 20:10

melonhead i dont think you need to play like swansea/barcelona to stay up or succeed in football.
i dont think the way we play now is any more entertaining than before. its probably less so.

No "probably" about it, unfortunately. With the exception of a good 20 mins here and there it's been dire.

The Royal We

by The Royal We » 07 Nov 2013 20:19

floyd__streete

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from Hob Nob, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. McDermott has been pooh-poohed and many have made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. They pooh-poohed it. Fatal error! Because the fans who have pooh-poohed those pooh-poohing Adkins have pooh-poohed those pooh-poohs. Ultimately, we might have to disband the message board. Morale totally destroyed... by pooh-pooh.

Your posts often bring a smile to my face. Then you top it all by paraphrasing Blackadder!

Well done sir!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 07 Nov 2013 22:55

Ian Royal And for some people to realise a man who had done a great job, had stopped doing a great job and started doing a poor job, got sacked.

He was hardly hounded out and subjected to unacceptable levels of abuse. He got some limited booing at games with poor results (Adkins has had this despite the fact we're on for the Play Offs and only lost 4 games all seaosn FFS) some reasonable online criticism here and a some not so ok abuse on here from a tiny minority of posters. Who were generally the sort of people anyone with a brain ignored anyway, or just very very pissed off and venting in a harmless way.

It's not like anyone has raped LoyalRoyalFan (or his ilk)'s mum. Some football fans got upset because their team wasn't doing very well and a man entirely legitimately lost his job. It's football. It's not like he was sacked a month into the season. It's not like he was sacked at the first run of bad results. He was given a chance to turn it round. He oxf*rd it up. He got sacked.

Fine have a whinge at the time. But perhaps, some 9 months later, you could put up, get behind the team you purport to support or just oxf*rd off and drown in your bile.

Damn. I've been sucked in again. oxf*rd.

Yep. This.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Nov 2013 11:11

Ian Royal: the voice of wisdom.

Must be time to lock the thread...

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Nov 2013 11:22

Crazy scenes.

Agreed, Ian Royal.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 08 Nov 2013 11:56

We may well be 9 months on. But the truth is, bar 45 minutes against Watford, watching Reading since McDermott was sacked has been a truely dire experience. Thats why this thread is still running, isn't it?

Im not talking about results specifically, our style of play is utterly soul destroying to watch and almost completely devoid of passion. Slow tempo play with very few chances created, which is reflected in our appalling goals from open play tally. Its reflected in the stands as well, pound for pound the atmosphere for home games is easily the worst i have witnessed. Combine that with the clubs clouded ownership and a team/mamanegment that seems to be even more distant from the fans than ever and its easy to see why people just can't warm to the current regime. Adkin's heart just doesn't seem to be in it to me either, I think he's been fed a pack of lies about how much funding he had.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Nov 2013 12:51

^ +1 to all that.

Adkins may have been fed a pack of lies.....but he hasn't had the courage or moral backbone to resign. He's happy to keep on picking up his pay packet. After all, as every says he does have this amaaaaazing track record, so presumably he could walk into a job elsewhere.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Nov 2013 12:57

floyd__streete ^ +1 to all that.

Adkins may have been fed a pack of lies.....but he hasn't had the courage or moral backbone to resign. He's happy to keep on picking up his pay packet. After all, as every says he does have this amaaaaazing track record, so presumably he could walk into a job elsewhere.

Are you happy in your job, feel over promised and under delivered?

I take it you'll resign "on principle" then

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Nov 2013 12:59

Uke Are you happy in your job, feel over promised and under delivered?

I don't feel as if I've been lied to, no.

Massive LOL again at the comparison of my public sector job to that of a football manager.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 08 Nov 2013 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Nov 2013 13:03

floyd__streete
Uke Are you happy in your job, feel over promised and under delivered?

I don't feel as if I've been lied to, know.

Massive LOL again at the comparison of my public sector job to that of a football manager.

Not comparing the job, just your principles

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Nov 2013 13:17

Again, we are 5th and have only lost twice. Okay, the football has yet to evolve to where we want it to be but surely the man needs time? After all, isn't that what the Adkins-Out Crew wanted for McD?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Nov 2013 13:19

Extended-Phenotype Again, we are 5th and have only lost twice.

You are BANG WRONG we've lost THREE times. You're a disgrace, spinning things to back up Adkins :!: Because you're in LOVE with him :!:

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 08 Nov 2013 14:17

floyd__streete
Extended-Phenotype Again, we are 5th and have only lost twice.

You are BANG WRONG we've lost THREE times. You're a disgrace, spinning things to back up Adkins :!: Because you're in LOVE with him :!:

This post was like the fist of truth landing the killer blow.

3714 posts