Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2013 20:43

Man Friday Seriously comparing 5th in the table with 10 seasons at our football club including 3 years as manager, and within those 3 years winning the Championship? Plus you don't "earn" credit elsewhere. FFS.

Of course you do. If you show quality in your previous jobs it should allow for more confidence in your competence as a manager and therefore earns you more time.

This isn't a sentimental decision. We need the best guy for the job. Nigel has shown enough in his career to give us faith that he will turn things 'around'.

Are you seriously suggesting that the only people who deserve time at a football club are those who've spent 10 years working behind the scenes? I imagine if you were a Man Utd fan you'd be one of those calling for Moyes to go.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 08 Nov 2013 21:14

Winchy, can't you see the point? The point is that McDermott earned the right to have another crack of the Championship whip because of the success he had at this level with us previously. The previous 10 years counted for very little, if anything at all. For me and many others, that (as in managerial success at the present club) counts for a lot more than success at previous clubs.

For example, Mark McGhee was given loads of time at Bristol Rovers because of his previous success at Reading, Millwall and Brighton wasn't he?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2013 21:30

I do understand the point. I would have been more than happy to continue with Brian into this season, and if you want to look at the weeks leading up to his sacking on here I'll have been one of the few defending him. Admittedly I posted a couple of things earlier in the season that could also be pointed at but in my defense they were after a particularly inept away performance at Southampton. I also felt that his sacking was the right footballing decision, and maintain that stance, but from an emotional point of view it brought me no pleasure to see him leave.

However, rightly or wrongly the decision was made, and we now have a new guy in charge. A manager who has an excellent record, has history of bringing through young players and moulding successful teams, and for different reasons he deserves our patience.

Does he command our love and affection? Of course not, they are things that will require time and success here, but we can still respect what he has done and look to the future rather than constantly seeking to knock him down because of a decision that he had absolutely no involvement in.

If things go down the drain then of course he shouldn't stay in a job just because of what happened at Scunny and Saints, but while we remain competitive in the upper region of the table then comparisons to McGhee's reign at Bristol Rovers aren't really relevant IMHO.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Nov 2013 23:17

That was the post of the thread.

Balanced, fair and rational. Good work sir.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 09 Nov 2013 09:20

winchester_royal I do understand the point. I would have been more than happy to continue with Brian into this season, and if you want to look at the weeks leading up to his sacking on here I'll have been one of the few defending him. Admittedly I posted a couple of things earlier in the season that could also be pointed at but in my defense they were after a particularly inept away performance at Southampton. I also felt that his sacking was the right footballing decision, and maintain that stance, but from an emotional point of view it brought me no pleasure to see him leave.

However, rightly or wrongly the decision was made, and we now have a new guy in charge. A manager who has an excellent record, has history of bringing through young players and moulding successful teams, and for different reasons he deserves our patience.

Does he command our love and affection? Of course not, they are things that will require time and success here, but we can still respect what he has done and look to the future rather than constantly seeking to knock him down because of a decision that he had absolutely no involvement in.

If things go down the drain then of course he shouldn't stay in a job just because of what happened at Scunny and Saints, but while we remain competitive in the upper region of the table then comparisons to McGhee's reign at Bristol Rovers aren't really relevant IMHO.

Ignoring the issues for a moment, may I remark that you always come across as a decent sort of person. You argue your points earnestly and I can't recall that you ever resort to bad-mouthing. Shame there aren't more like you on this forum...

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 09 Nov 2013 12:03

IN for the love... erm... in :|

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 09 Nov 2013 12:08

Man Friday
winchester_royal I do understand the point. I would have been more than happy to continue with Brian into this season, and if you want to look at the weeks leading up to his sacking on here I'll have been one of the few defending him. Admittedly I posted a couple of things earlier in the season that could also be pointed at but in my defense they were after a particularly inept away performance at Southampton. I also felt that his sacking was the right footballing decision, and maintain that stance, but from an emotional point of view it brought me no pleasure to see him leave.

Ignoring the issues for a moment, may I remark that you always come across as a decent sort of person. You argue your points earnestly and I can't recall that you ever resort to bad-mouthing. Shame there aren't more like you on this forum...

Kind words mf, that I would like to reciprocate. Nothing wrong with heated discussion as long as it's kept civil and (just about) respectable. Everyone of us (well, except for Kes) wants what's best for the football club after all.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Nov 2013 18:05

McDermott now a mere point behind Adkins after hitting 4 away from home, his Leeds have scored one fewer goal than Reading. He's had marginally less long in his job too.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Nov 2013 18:08

Tony Le Mesmer We may well be 9 months on. But the truth is, bar 45 minutes against Watford, watching Reading since McDermott was sacked has been a truely dire experience. Thats why this thread is still running, isn't it?

Im not talking about results specifically, our style of play is utterly soul destroying to watch and almost completely devoid of passion. Slow tempo play with very few chances created, which is reflected in our appalling goals from open play tally. Its reflected in the stands as well, pound for pound the atmosphere for home games is easily the worst i have witnessed. Combine that with the clubs clouded ownership and a team/mamanegment that seems to be even more distant from the fans than ever and its easy to see why people just can't warm to the current regime. Adkin's heart just doesn't seem to be in it to me either, I think he's been fed a pack of lies about how much funding he had.

Disagree, we've not been great but we've been more entertaining and enjoyable to watch than last season easily. And that 45 against Watford was better than most of the best we played under McDermott, let alone the worst.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Nov 2013 18:12

now how did I know this would come back to the top after Leeds won today? 4 efforts on goal 4 goals, pretty clinical from McCormack

36%-64% possession..nothing changes there

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 09 Nov 2013 18:27

floyd__streete McDermott now a mere point behind Adkins after hitting 4 away from home, his Leeds have scored one fewer goal than Reading. He's had marginally less long in his job too.

... and less money as well.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Nov 2013 18:32

can we make 200 pages before we reach the anniversary of his dismissal? IN

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 09 Nov 2013 18:39

LoyalRoyalFan
floyd__streete McDermott now a mere point behind Adkins after hitting 4 away from home, his Leeds have scored one fewer goal than Reading. He's had marginally less long in his job too.

Did Brian spend more on Akpan than Nigel spent in the summer?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Nov 2013 18:43

peterroyal76
LoyalRoyalFan

Did Brian spend more on Akpan than Nigel spent in the summer?

No, but he did spend more on Blackman I believe. £1.2 miLOLLOLion

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 09 Nov 2013 18:48

To be honest i made a weak fishing attempt.
Brian has gone now, some people really need to get over it. He will go down in history as one of our most successful managers and maybe the timing was a bit wrong, but he did look out of depth in the end.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Nov 2013 12:11

Ian Royal
Tony Le Mesmer We may well be 9 months on. But the truth is, bar 45 minutes against Watford, watching Reading since McDermott was sacked has been a truely dire experience. Thats why this thread is still running, isn't it?

Im not talking about results specifically, our style of play is utterly soul destroying to watch and almost completely devoid of passion. Slow tempo play with very few chances created, which is reflected in our appalling goals from open play tally. Its reflected in the stands as well, pound for pound the atmosphere for home games is easily the worst i have witnessed. Combine that with the clubs clouded ownership and a team/mamanegment that seems to be even more distant from the fans than ever and its easy to see why people just can't warm to the current regime. Adkin's heart just doesn't seem to be in it to me either, I think he's been fed a pack of lies about how much funding he had.

Disagree, we've not been great but we've been more entertaining and enjoyable to watch than last season easily. And that 45 against Watford was better than most of the best we played under McDermott, let alone the worst.

That's deluded

And comparing last season against prem teams to this vs average championship teams is silly

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Nov 2013 13:56

melonhead
Ian Royal

That's deluded

And comparing last season against prem teams to this vs average championship teams is silly

How about this. The start to this season has seen better quality and more entertaining football than the start to the season the last time we were at this level, under McDermott. The presence of some degree of midfield and some in form strikers is a significant step up. Obviously things seriously picked up after the start back then.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Nov 2013 19:53

I'd be more likely give u that than the daft point you made before, yes.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Nov 2013 23:03

melonhead I'd be more likely give u that than the daft point you made before, yes.

Well it's a given that winning more than losing is > than last season in terms of entertainment.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 11 Nov 2013 01:40

Man Friday

winchester_royal's posts over the last week or so have been very sensible.
I applaud him for his ability to back down from the infuriating 'head in the sand' attitude that he employed for the first two and a half months of the season.

Also, seeing Melonhead and Ian Royal argue brings one phrase to mind: Multiple personality disorder.

3714 posts