Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by LoyalRoyalFan » 23 Nov 2013 19:16

McDermott above us in the table...

Who would have thought?! :lol:

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 23 Nov 2013 19:44

I am happy to accept that we were wrong to sack McDermott, so long as the folk who think it was wrong, but it was right to sack Rodgers, can explain why Rodgers is now managing a top six team.

FWIW I think both sackings were right at the time. History shows Rodgers has done well, time is out on McD yet.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Nov 2013 20:11

Simples really he was flavour of the month so got the Liverpool job on the back of his work at Swansea, not that he had to much work at Swansea because the club was tailor made for him thanks to Martinez and he's managing a top 6 team because A. the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson has had a big effect on the stability of the established order in the PL and B. His team have only really beaten one of the teams around them, Man United when they were smack bang in the process of recovering from Ferguson retiring. The rest of their big games they've either lost or drawn Arsenal, Southampton and Everton so basically they are flat track bullies chewing up the likes of Sunderland and Crystal Palace.

Some people fit at certain clubs Rodgers in theory should have fitted in at Reading, having been here from a young age. His problem was that he went to Chelsea and became Mr Billy Big Bollocks so when he came back he was a pompous, Mourinho light, d1ck who spouted shit about "World class models" and "Skilful Soldiers". We were right to sack him because he and his personality didn't fit in here same as Adkins and his personality doesn't fit in here.

It might be frustrating for people on HNA? who want Reading to follow the crowd and be like whichever club and style of play is in fashion but there is a Reading way whether you like it or not. That way is a club that spent most of it's time bumping along in the bottom two divisions and has understatedly and sensibly grown and outperformed "bigger clubs" in the same division over the last decade plus. That means we suit managers like Steve Coppell and Brian McDermott who are sensible and understated. You might be frustrated with it and it may not be glamorous but that is just the way it is.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 23 Nov 2013 20:17

Finding it hard to disagree with Sandman's logic here!

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 23 Nov 2013 21:00

So how did Swansea change from being bottom of the league to top half of the top division in the matter of 10 years without changing the old 'Swansea Way'?

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 23 Nov 2013 21:01

I've watched this post with disdain, while a little amused, that perhaps some believe we can turn back the clock. That said, today i cast my yes vote, perhaps just in case this thread is locked shortly and i miss my chance, but more importantly to say that while Brian was not good enough to take us further and thus had to go, the board have left us with the manager that Brian outwitted in the head to head at the end of the 11/12 season and a manager that perhaps another board considered also would not be able to take the team to where they needed to go, and now look at Southampton go!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Nov 2013 21:17

sandman Simples really he was flavour of the month so got the Liverpool job on the back of his work at Swansea, not that he had to much work at Swansea because the club was tailor made for him thanks to Martinez and he's managing a top 6 team because A. the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson has had a big effect on the stability of the established order in the PL and B. His team have only really beaten one of the teams around them, Man United when they were smack bang in the process of recovering from Ferguson retiring. The rest of their big games they've either lost or drawn Arsenal, Southampton and Everton so basically they are flat track bullies chewing up the likes of Sunderland and Crystal Palace.

Some people fit at certain clubs Rodgers in theory should have fitted in at Reading, having been here from a young age. His problem was that he went to Chelsea and became Mr Billy Big Bollocks so when he came back he was a pompous, Mourinho light, d1ck who spouted shit about "World class models" and "Skilful Soldiers". We were right to sack him because he and his personality didn't fit in here same as Adkins and his personality doesn't fit in here.

It might be frustrating for people on HNA? who want Reading to follow the crowd and be like whichever club and style of play is in fashion but there is a Reading way whether you like it or not. That way is a club that spent most of it's time bumping along in the bottom two divisions and has understatedly and sensibly grown and outperformed "bigger clubs" in the same division over the last decade plus. That means we suit managers like Steve Coppell and Brian McDermott who are sensible and understated. You might be frustrated with it and it may not be glamorous but that is just the way it is.

Were Pardew and McGhee understated? Liverpool appointed Rodgers after he guided a team who'd never qualified for the playoffs previously to promotion at our expense before doing what McDermott and Coppell couldn't and consolidating a team in the Premier League.

The same tossers who wanted Rodgers sacked early when he was trying to change a style of football are the ones who never learn and want Adkins out before he's had time to change the team to his own. It's funny you mention Sir Alex, as he wasn't an introvert by any means and struggled during his early days - delinquents like sandman would have wanted him sacked for showing a personality rather than going on to achieve what he did after he was given the time to bring his own team in and move things on from stone-age football.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Nov 2013 21:18

Hampshire Royal So how did Swansea change from being bottom of the league to top half of the top division in the matter of 10 years without changing the old 'Swansea Way'?

Because sandman's an utter spastic, that's why.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 23 Nov 2013 21:19

sandman Simples really he was flavour of the month so got the Liverpool job on the back of his work at Swansea, not that he had to much work at Swansea because the club was tailor made for him thanks to Martinez and he's managing a top 6 team because A. the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson has had a big effect on the stability of the established order in the PL and B. His team have only really beaten one of the teams around them, Man United when they were smack bang in the process of recovering from Ferguson retiring. The rest of their big games they've either lost or drawn Arsenal, Southampton and Everton so basically they are flat track bullies chewing up the likes of Sunderland and Crystal Palace.

Genuine LOL at somebody posting that shit referring to somebody else as "pompous". :lol:

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 23 Nov 2013 21:22

Royalee

Were Pardew and McGhee understated? Liverpool appointed Rodgers after he guided a team who'd never qualified for the playoffs previously to promotion at our expense before doing what McDermott and Coppell couldn't and consolidating a team in the Premier League.

The same tossers who wanted Rodgers sacked early when he was trying to change a style of football are the ones who never learn and want Adkins out before he's had time to change the team to his own. It's funny you mention Sir Alex, as he wasn't an introvert by any means and struggled during his early days - delinquents like sandman would have wanted him sacked for showing a personality rather than going on to achieve what he did after he was given the time to bring his own team in and move things on from stone-age football.

:lol: Comparing Rodgers and Adkins with Sir Alex!!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Nov 2013 21:24

No, just stating that managers need time to change a style of football and using the most obvious example there is - feel free to sensationalise it and imply I think either are automatically on par with the best manager of a generation. :roll:

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 23 Nov 2013 21:32

Royalee No, just stating that managers need time to change a style of football and using the most obvious example there is - feel free to sensationalise it and imply I think either are automatically on par with the best manager of a generation. :roll:

I think you would probably put them with God to be honest.
For the record I think we need to back Adkins, whether getting rid of Brian was the right idea or not. I believe Nigel will succeed given time.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 23 Nov 2013 21:48

peterroyal76
Royalee No, just stating that managers need time to change a style of football and using the most obvious example there is - feel free to sensationalise it and imply I think either are automatically on par with the best manager of a generation. :roll:

For the record I think we need to back Adkins, whether getting rid of Brian was the right idea or not. I believe Nigel will succeed given time.

Hallelujah

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Nov 2013 21:50

Nigel will succeed when he starts starting McAnuff

WTF is this all about? does he just not like him or something?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Nov 2013 21:51

peterroyal76

Exactly, this year will always be a transition, can't expect automatic promotion and I for one would take top 6 finish! I still think NA has not got the players to play the way he wants, needs to decide whether that means persisting with it and seeing if they can or just switch it up and try and grind out results this season

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Nov 2013 21:52

oh and btw

Nice to see MaccyD snugly hanging in there at Elland

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 24 Nov 2013 07:01

McD is going to get a nasty taste of deja vu. If Leeds go up there is plenty of money waiting to be invested (with real money, unlike the invisible man's) and they will want prem style football and real results for that investment. He'll be out before Xmas next year.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 24 Nov 2013 11:43

Royalee
Hampshire Royal So how did Swansea change from being bottom of the league to top half of the top division in the matter of 10 years without changing the old 'Swansea Way'?

Because sandman's an utter spastic, that's why.

Ignoring the anti-disabled comment because you are a complete low-life, Rodgers has done nothing at Liverpool yet.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 24 Nov 2013 11:45

Pandoras Box McD is going to get a nasty taste of deja vu. If Leeds go up there is plenty of money waiting to be invested (with real money, unlike the invisible man's) and they will want prem style football and real results for that investment. He'll be out before Xmas next year.

...or perhaps, as an intelligent person, relatively new to management, he'll learn from his mistakes first time around...

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 24 Nov 2013 12:14

Leeds 6th
Reading 8th
:lol:

3714 posts