Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Zana Badawi

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Zana Badawi » 29 Nov 2013 11:36

Wycombe Royal
Zana Badawi Thats revisionism at its best. Guthrie had plenty of chances for a guy who refused to play for the team. And just how do you manage a footballer who refuses to play football but still collects his wages? Guthrie made his bed - 'played out of position' is a feeble excuse - he had to lie in it. And if that means McDermott not playing him, so be it. What exactly do you expect if you dont turn up for work one day?

He didn't refuse to play, he refused to travel up to Sunderland to sit on the bench. .

Oh thats OK then.

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 29 Nov 2013 11:39

Royal91 Anyone still going on about Guthrie and Sunderland. Just F U CK OFF.

NAME ME ONE PLAYER THIS SEASON WHO HAS SHOWED MORE PASSION. He's our best player so f u c k i n g get over it.

At least he didn't f u c k off to play in the PL or force his way out in the summer.

You bunch of stupid c u n t s.

Sadly you have to mention Guthrie when replying to somebody suggesting than McDermott mismanaged Guthrie.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 29 Nov 2013 12:06

Zana Badawi
Wycombe Royal
Zana Badawi Thats revisionism at its best. Guthrie had plenty of chances for a guy who refused to play for the team. And just how do you manage a footballer who refuses to play football but still collects his wages? Guthrie made his bed - 'played out of position' is a feeble excuse - he had to lie in it. And if that means McDermott not playing him, so be it. What exactly do you expect if you dont turn up for work one day?

He didn't refuse to play, he refused to travel up to Sunderland to sit on the bench. .

Oh thats OK then.

Did I say it was OK? No, thought not.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Nov 2013 12:13

still refusing to play you divot
im saying the distinction you drew was the utterly meaningless argument of a mongdiv

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Nov 2013 12:15

melonhead still refusing to play you divot
im saying the distinction you drew was the utterly meaningless argument of a mongdiv

To be honest, while not much of a point, there is a tiny one in the fact that he basically sat on a bench for the last umpteen games getting zero pitch time - so in a sense, I could see how Guthrie didn't feel his absence was the same as refusing to play football.

Tiny, weeny, point.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Nov 2013 12:16

Just as another point about Guthrie's Sunderland fiasco, and one I made at the time. He didn't go because he said his head wasn't in the right place I think.

This week we've seen yet another high profile sportsman (Trott) have to withdraw their services for the team because they're struggling mentally. At the time Gurthrie had relocated down south, away from his family, had a new baby, failed to impose himself at a new club, found himself at logger heads with his new manager about how he should play and ultimately not performed very well.

It may well have been his cry for help. It well have been that he was hitting a bit of depression. It may well have been that he actually thought he wouldn't have been any use to the team because of where his relationship with the manager and form had got to.

It's not just as simple as he's paid shit loads to travel and he should, and I've always been a little amazed at brendy's views on this considering his mental health background!

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Nov 2013 12:19

I doubt he was suffering from a breakdown, mate - he wasn't getting played so he was hacked off and said "f/ck it, I won't bother."

Bad decision but understandable. I'm sure we've all bunked work when we've had the hump with our boss.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Nov 2013 12:25

I'm not saying with any real conviction that he was suicidal or clincally depressed, but with all those factors I wouldn't be surprised if his mind was a bit all over the place and might be part of why he was pissed off at not playing.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 29 Nov 2013 12:34

Tbh even if he just sacked it off to play Call of Duty, you'd think by now, given his obviously renewed attitude and generally very good performance for the club, that fans would just let it fcuking go.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Nov 2013 12:37

Sanguine Tbh even if he just sacked it off to play Call of Duty, you'd think by now, given his obviously renewed attitude and generally very good performance for the club, that fans would just let it fcuking go.

The same fans that are still bitching about letting Brian go and hysterically w&nking over every lost point?

Yeah, we sure are quick to move on.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Nov 2013 13:04

Wycombe Royal He didn't refuse to play, he refused to travel up to Sunderland to sit on the bench.

:|

That's the same thing, m8.

And LOL @ 'protest against his manager'. If my manager asks me to do something at work - no matter how daft I think it is - I have to get on and do it.

Guthrie = troublemaker. And his performances this season have been 'ok', good at times.....but hardly anything special.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Nov 2013 13:09

floyd__streete
Wycombe Royal He didn't refuse to play, he refused to travel up to Sunderland to sit on the bench.

:|

That's the same thing, m8.

And LOL @ 'protest against his manager'. If my manager asks me to do something at work - no matter how daft I think it is - I have to get on and do it.

I wouldn't.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Nov 2013 13:13

Extended-Phenotype I wouldn't.

Well, depends how daft the request was.

"Stick such and such's stapler in jelly" - erm, ok then.
"Go and punch such and such in the face for me" - erm, I draw the line at that.

Was BMc asking Guthrie to play in goal? No, presumably he was asking him to play a midfield role which Guthrie didn't fancy. Or sit on the bench as a replacement. Neither are unreasonable requests, given that BMc was paid to make decisions he felt in the best interest of the team and given that - as manager - it is him who is ultimately disposed of if he gets such decisions wrong.

STOP DEFENDING THE INDEFENSIBLE :!:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Nov 2013 13:49

You really believe Guthrie refused to play in the starting 11 and this was because he didn't like the role?

FTR, I'm not defending him. Just saying how dickhead decisions are sometimes understandable.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 29 Nov 2013 14:26

"I'm fed up sitting on the bench, I want to be in the starting 11!"
"Oh, so you don't want to play? Is that what you're saying?"

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 29 Nov 2013 14:48

Not sticking with Guthrie and playing Jay Tabb instead was McDermott's biggest mistake last season IMHO. I'm not sure it would have made a big difference to our final position, and it wasn't a cause to fire him, but I do accept the criticism.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 29 Nov 2013 14:50

Elm Park Kid Not sticking with Guthrie and playing Jay Tabb instead was McDermott's biggest mistake last season IMHO. I'm not sure it would have made a big difference to our final position, and it wasn't a cause to fire him, but I do accept the criticism.

I agree. These were mistakes.

However, it was not Guthrie's place to behave in that manner. It was a mistake also.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 29 Nov 2013 15:11

Elm Park Kid Not sticking with Guthrie and playing Jay Tabb instead was McDermott's biggest mistake last season IMHO. I'm not sure it would have made a big difference to our final position, and it wasn't a cause to fire him, but I do accept the criticism.

I don't know. Tabb did well in those games, arguably better than Guthrie would have done if he was sulking and being uncooperative.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Nov 2013 16:02

P!ssed Off "I'm fed up sitting on the bench, I want to be in the starting 11!"
"Oh, so you don't want to play? Is that what you're saying?"

except thats the opposite of what actually happened. :roll:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Nov 2013 16:03

Extended-Phenotype
melonhead still refusing to play you divot

To be honest, while not much of a point, there is a tiny one in the fact that he basically sat on a bench for the last umpteen games getting zero pitch time - so in a sense, I could see how Guthrie didn't feel his absence was the same as refusing to play football.

Tiny, weeny, point.

worst point ever, made as though it makes it ok
which brings me back to my original point

3714 posts