The Adkins Sack/Resignation Countdown Thread

361 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Adkins Sack/Resignation Countdown Thread

by Sanguine » 28 Nov 2013 17:33

The point being re Dawson and Heitinga that I thought of/knew of those two off the top of my head, and I'm a dribbly corporate accountant from Reading. Surely our well paid scouts can find an able and affordable centre-back from the Premier League who isn't playing at the moment, and wants to?

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 28 Nov 2013 17:34

Sanguine The point being re Dawson and Heitinga that I thought of/knew of those two off the top of my head, and I'm a dribbly corporate accountant from Reading. Surely our well paid scouts can find an able and affordable centre-back from the Premier League who isn't playing at the moment, and wants to?

Disagreed. The fact that no-one has come in is proof itself that no-one was available.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Nov 2013 17:37

Yes but a) that'll mean money, b) they'd rather spend the time talking to yet another midfielder and c) we've already managed to somehow acquire Chris Baird who, if you listen to NA, can apparently play everywhere all at the same time.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Nov 2013 17:42

Sanguine The point being re Dawson and Heitinga that I thought of/knew of those two off the top of my head, and I'm a dribbly corporate accountant from Reading. Surely our well paid scouts can find an able and affordable centre-back from the Premier League who isn't playing at the moment, and wants to?

What? You've come up with 2 players who are unavailable so that somehow proves that there are some available? :lol:

The problem is that PL clubs don't let their good centre backs leave. Most of them have a set 25 man squad which they got sorted at the end of the last transfer window and any quality players they do have are either playing or are waiting in reserve in case of injury.

I don't think it is a case of money, Nottm Forest have an owner pissing it away and they've just lost their main CB to a long term injury, they've been looking for defensive cover and couldn't find any...what does that tell you?

We have a good recruitment team and I'm sure that they've been looking/asking around. Just because nothing has come off don't assume that they've been sitting around drinking tea and reading Okay! okay?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Nov 2013 17:44

winchester_royal

What? You've come up with 2 players who are unavailable so that somehow proves that there are some available? :lol:

The problem is that PL clubs don't let their good centre backs leave. Most of them have a set 25 man squad which they got sorted at the end of the last transfer window and any quality players they do have are either playing or are waiting in reserve in case of injury.

I don't think it is a case of money, Nottm Forest have an owner pissing it away and they've just lost their main CB to a long term injury, they've been looking for defensive cover and couldn't find any...what does that tell you?

We have a good recruitment team and I'm sure that they've been looking/asking around. Just because nothing has come off don't assume that they've been sitting around drinking tea and reading Okay! okay?

Not sure what the :lol: are for. You don't know how available those particular players are any more than I do.

Liverpool let Wisdom go to Derby, and he played 20 times for the first team last season. Teams do let players go, especially those who haven't played all season, or are unlikely to feature soon, or need more match sharpness.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 Nov 2013 17:47

Sorry, that was supposed to be deleted.

And yes, Wisdom would have been a good deal, but when that happened we still had Morrison and couldn't have guaranteed him first team football and he's hardly likely to come here to sit on the bench.

We know they were asking around, Adkins said as much, but they'd only bring in someone who is a) available, b) good enough to improve on what we have, and c) motivated to come and give their all. I'm not sure there were a flurry of defenders out there who fit those criteria.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Nov 2013 02:50

SINCE1964 After 5 1/2 days working long & hard hours all I want on a Saturday is some entertainment for my £400.00 season tickets x 2.
So far i've had 45 mins against Watford and endured Sunday morning park football at Yeovil plus an expensive trip to Burnley when we were second best by a mile.
Racing on channel 4 with a glass of something that doesn't cost me four quid is looking good at the moment!.

Given the utter toss that McDermott had us serving up much of last season and also at the start of the season before, I find this particularly funny.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 29 Nov 2013 09:24

winchester_royal And yes, Wisdom would have been a good deal, but when that happened we still had Morrison and couldn't have guaranteed him first team football and he's hardly likely to come here to sit on the bench.

Andre Wisdom is a right back so he would not have been on our radar anyway considering we have three at the club.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 29 Nov 2013 09:52

Fwiw, not that it matters, Wisdom has played both positions, but was predominantly a centre-back in the reserves; Rodgers considers his pace and size very suited to playing full-back and so at Liverpool has developed him there.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 29 Nov 2013 10:04

Ian Royal
SINCE1964 After 5 1/2 days working long & hard hours all I want on a Saturday is some entertainment for my £400.00 season tickets x 2.
So far i've had 45 mins against Watford and endured Sunday morning park football at Yeovil plus an expensive trip to Burnley when we were second best by a mile.
Racing on channel 4 with a glass of something that doesn't cost me four quid is looking good at the moment!.

Given the utter toss that McDermott had us serving up much of last season and also at the start of the season before, I find this particularly funny.

Some people may not have called it pretty. It may not even have been effective.

It was still more entertaining than this shit however, as many of the prem games were Little Reading vs Established Prem encounters, and at least at times we tried to get shots on goal (even if it was direct and/or a late charge with ALF).

This season we have had almost the least shots on goal of the whole division, and (surprise) least goals from open play.

under the tin
SINCE1964 On current form I can guarantee that IF I decide not to go I won't be alone, the attendance figures will back this up and it will do the club no good at all.
I don't expect Barcelona type football all the time but now and again surely and I'm convinced that the majority of fans see football as entertainment not something to endure.

If, as your moniker suggests, you have been going since 1964, then, like me, you will remember many many matches stretching back over the decades when you were going home afterwards asking yourself why you had bothered attending at all. The titanic struggles against the likes of the mighty Bishop's Stortford or Halifax.
Reading fans have changed, and so have the expectation levels. fings aint wot they used to be.

Things have changed indeed. One used to be able to rock up to the ground on matchday and get a much cheaper ticket into almost any area of the ground. We could stand where we wanted with who we wanted. The atmosphere (often gallows humor as we were shite) was 1000x better. The players and management were just regular guys who generally looked like they gave a shit about the club/fans.

Why should anyone have to pay £25 (and £8 for the bus, and £12+ quid for 3 pints of fizzy piss, and then food...), not to be able to sit with their mates, in a morgue, and watching a bunch of mercenaries pretending to represent our club, our town - and for them to rarely even bothering to carve out shots at goal. :shock: :?:

The most excitement at our games comes from our own goal kicks, when McCarthy passes out to a Full-Back, who passes to CB, who passes back to GK, who gets closed down... :lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Nov 2013 13:05

I've heard that if we lose tonight he can expect to lose his job :!:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Nov 2013 13:17

floyd__streete I've heard that if we lose tonight he can expect to lose his job :!:

:| really

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Nov 2013 13:56

He won't know that he's lost his job though because nobody will tell him anything.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 29 Nov 2013 14:13

floyd__streete I've heard that if we lose tonight he can expect to lose his job :!:

Who from?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 29 Nov 2013 14:39

southbank1871

Who from?

Mike Lewis.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 29 Nov 2013 14:59

Cureton's Volley Things have changed indeed. One used to be able to rock up to the ground on matchday and get a much cheaper ticket into almost any area of the ground. We could stand where we wanted with who we wanted. The atmosphere (often gallows humor as we were shite) was 1000x better. The players and management were just regular guys who generally looked like they gave a shit about the club/fans.

Why should anyone have to pay £25 (and £8 for the bus, and £12+ quid for 3 pints of fizzy piss, and then food...), not to be able to sit with their mates, in a morgue, and watching a bunch of mercenaries pretending to represent our club, our town - and for them to rarely even bothering to carve out shots at goal. :shock: :?:

The most excitement at our games comes from our own goal kicks, when McCarthy passes out to a Full-Back, who passes to CB, who passes back to GK, who gets closed down... :lol:

There you have it, simply sums up the feelings of so many.

Thing is, its been like that for a decade or more really. Weve just had so much success and a string of managers who's teams play positive and exciting football (ex Rodgers) its masked all you've highlighted.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 29 Nov 2013 16:11

floyd__streete
southbank1871

Who from?

Mike Lewis.

Just checking if it was the same sauce. And it is.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Nov 2013 16:28

Barry the bird boggler c) we've already managed to somehow acquire Chris Baird who, if you listen to NA, can apparently play everywhere all at the same time.

Even when he's injured. 'cos apparently he's injured. Not sure if anybody knew that.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Nov 2013 16:58

Oh so he's injured now is he, what exactly is that this club do to keep getting injuries like this. By my reckoning half of them seem to happen in training. Never used to get the problem with Sir Steve or even Heston when they were here.

Is it this new sports scientist or is it the only way NA can communicate to some players seeing as he was a physio....

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Dec 2013 18:06

NigeLOL Adkins being heavily backed for the Wigan job. Comparible size club but with steady, settled ownership, larger budget at a club he played for for many years.

361 posts