Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by LoyalRoyalFan » 30 Nov 2013 14:26

Avon Royal
Cureton's Volley
Sanguine Woodcote Royal officially 'busy' until at least next weekend.

He'll be back Tuesday night...

It must be pretty depressing hoping Reading lose every week.

Didn't you hold the same opinion when you wanted McDermott to be sacked?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Nov 2013 16:10

LoyalRoyalFan
Avon Royal
Cureton's Volley He'll be back Tuesday night...

At least he had the satisaction of being right most weeks, unlike Woody, who's usually wrong about everything.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 30 Nov 2013 17:17

LoyalRoyalFan
Avon Royal
Cureton's Volley

Not really - I wanted Reading to win which is why I wanted McDermott sacked.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Dec 2013 00:42

Ian Royal
facaldaqui
Elm Park Kid Not sticking with Guthrie and playing Jay Tabb instead was McDermott's biggest mistake last season IMHO. I'm not sure it would have made a big difference to our final position, and it wasn't a cause to fire him, but I do accept the criticism.

I don't know. Tabb did well in those games, arguably better than Guthrie would have done if he was sulking and being uncooperative.

Should have played them both.

No one says what guthrie did was right. But this season he's showing he's one of our best players when used correctly. He also showed the same in january when mcdermott briefly used him correctly. This just highlights what utter mismanagement it was to buy him to play him in a roll that he wasn't suited for. And then drop him and make him sit on the bench watching inferior players performiing badly and losing games. There were several games just before sunderland that cried out for guthrie and a tactical change and he never made it on the pitch.

He made the wrong call, but it's entirely understandable that he may not have felt any use to travel and sit on the bench under the circumstances. He's certainly made up for it since with his commitment and performances. He should have talked to mcdermott about it rather than ruling himself out. But its pretty obvious the relationship was broken sk that probably wasn't much of an option.
Bull, on his wages, he should've done as he was f11cking well told.

As already said, a pleasure to see him play these days....allbeit at this less testing level for the lad.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Dec 2013 01:11

Avon Royal
LoyalRoyalFan
Avon Royal

were you saying that when Brian was winning things?. No of course not you were wanking about great he was.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 01 Dec 2013 08:22

leon
Avon Royal
LoyalRoyalFan

were you saying that when Brian was winning things?. No of course not you were wanking about great he was.

Swing and a miss there Leon old son.

I never liked his approach, the style of football he employed, his favouritism of certain players and the way he appeared to ostracise others. I respected his achievements and gave him credit for his one exceptional half a season - but I never, ever, thought he was "great" and could see from the start that he would only be able to take us so far.

I have no particular animosity towards him and hope he does ok in the future (though not with Leeds - horrible club). I'm just glad he's not managing my club anymore, allowing us to move forward and in time develop a style that could eventually see us establish ourselves in the top flight.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 01 Dec 2013 08:49

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 01 Dec 2013 18:16

Avon Royal
Cureton's Volley
Sanguine Woodcote Royal officially 'busy' until at least next weekend.

Nah, I'm loving life mate. Either Reading win, happy days... Or I'm right. Win-win

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 01 Dec 2013 20:23

:lol: Brilliant comment. Very droll. Wish I had thought of that.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Dec 2013 12:56

Avon Royal I respected his achievements and gave him credit for his one exceptional half a season

:lol:

Perhaps he can put that on his CV, eh :lol:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 02 Dec 2013 16:17

Avon Royal
Swing and a miss there Leon old son.

I never liked his approach, the style of football he employed, his favouritism of certain players and the way he appeared to ostracise others. I respected his achievements and gave him credit for his one exceptional half a season - but I never, ever, thought he was "great" and could see from the start that he would only be able to take us so far.

I have no particular animosity towards him and hope he does ok in the future (though not with Leeds - horrible club). I'm just glad he's not managing my club anymore, allowing us to move forward and in time develop a style that could eventually see us establish ourselves in the top flight.

This is why you are no judge of a good manager.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 Dec 2013 07:02

Cureton's Volley
Avon Royal
Cureton's Volley

Nah, I'm loving life mate. Either Reading win, happy days... Or I'm right. Win-win

Of course it's equally true that either Reading lose, sad days....... Or you're wrong. Lose-Lose. :|

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 Dec 2013 07:23

floyd__streete
Avon Royal I respected his achievements and gave him credit for his one exceptional half a season

Sure, why not - he's probably going to need dig out his CV again pretty soon anyway.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Dec 2013 12:35

Avon Royal
floyd__streete

Sure, why not - he's probably going to need dig out his CV again pretty soon anyway.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Dec 2013 12:49

Avon Royal Sure, why not - he's probably going to need dig out his CV again pretty soon anyway.

Why? Is he being linked with a bigger job? Doing a fine job Leeds on a smaller budget to what Adkins is operating on at Reading.

Why are you so sour about our second best ever manager :?: Doesn't reflect at all well on you, y'know....

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Dec 2013 12:57

floyd__streete
Avon Royal Sure, why not - he's probably going to need dig out his CV again pretty soon anyway.

Why? Is he being linked with a bigger job? Doing a fine job Leeds on a smaller budget to what Adkins is operating on at Reading.

Why are you so sour about our second best ever manager :?: Doesn't reflect at all well on you, y'know....

It's very sad, isn't it?

I wouldn't call Avon Royal a supporter of this club anyway, more of a bore that doesn't appreciate what McDermott did for this club and is a spoilt brat.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Dec 2013 13:00

Coming from who gloats when we lose and disappears when we win then that^ is exceptionally rich.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Dec 2013 13:02

winchester_royal Coming from who gloats when we lose and disappears when we win then that^ is exceptionally rich.

When do I do that?

I happen to think that Adkins is doing a reasonable job. I have been merely pointing out the likes of Avon Royal and Royalee who think that Brendan Rodgers was the greatest ever manager of this football club, and that Brian McDermott was evidently, to them, a waste of space.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Dec 2013 13:44

LoyalRoyalFan
winchester_royal Coming from who gloats when we lose and disappears when we win then that^ is exceptionally rich.

When do I do that?

I happen to think that Adkins is doing a reasonable job. I have been merely pointing out the likes of Avon Royal and Royalee who think that Brendan Rodgers was the greatest ever manager of this football club, and that Brian McDermott was evidently, to them, a waste of space.

Wasn't a waste of space, but it was obvious to those who actually know anything about football from the start that he could only take the club so far with his limited style of football. Not saying I agree with this, but you could argue that Rodgers is the greatest ever manager of the club given he's managed a massive club like Liverpool if you're basing achievements on one off league positions disregarding starting points like Coppell and McDermott.

Anyway, I'm pleased we've got an excellent manager in charge at the moment who can move the club forward.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 03 Dec 2013 15:06

Royalee you could argue that Rodgers is the greatest ever manager of the club given he's managed a massive club like Liverpool if you're basing achievements on one off league positions disregarding starting points like Coppell and McDermott.

Could you really?

3714 posts